Author Topic: advice on a bike sale pls  (Read 3943 times)

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
advice on a bike sale pls
« on: November 15, 2016, 09:25:51 AM »
So- it looks like I might be pulling together a deal to sell a machine. The buyer asked if I'd be willing to transport it to VT (nice ride- I've no problem with that).  Could this be a potential red flag?  Since I'm the one going to get the money- I don't think so.  It's just that whenever I've sold a bike they come to me.

Thanks for your paranoid input.

Oh- and if the potential buyer is here on the forum- no offense mate.
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
Re: advice on a bike sale pls
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 09:32:46 AM »
Yeah, potential red flag. Lots of things could go wrong there. Who is paying for your return trip? If not the buyer that could take a big bite from the sale.
Its not being paranoid, its sensible caution.
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 09:36:51 AM »
I would want a sizable down payment, not refundable .. enough to cover all expenses at least..
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline scra99tch

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 09:50:28 AM »
Ask him to meet at a public place, police station parking lot.  Cash in hand no check for test rides, if that.  Getting it there should tell him enough that it runs.  He obviously does not know to not buy a bike that has been warmed up oh well. 

Where in VT?
1974 Eldorado
2007 California Vintage

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 09:50:28 AM »

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 09:54:21 AM »
Well, after all.. you're not far away. If it's a long time WG member I wouldn't worry about it.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 09:57:17 AM »
Hi Jonathan. 
I'd call this a red flag, just because when/if he buys it, you getting home will be a pain.
I like the idea of him Paypaling gas money etc just to make sure he's serious.
Joe
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 10:01:52 AM »
Sorry- I didn't make it clear.  It's close enough that I would just trailer it to him.  The drive is only 2.5 hrs or so. 

I'm willing to accommodate someone- no big deal.  Besides, Vermont is a pleasant ride. 
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016, 10:12:19 AM »
Well, after all.. you're not far away. If it's a long time WG member I wouldn't worry about it.

That's the ticket.

I'm in southern Virginia, and when I bought my Centauro, the seller lived in Delaware.

HE was the one that suggested that he just bring it on down to me.   He came down on one day, delivered the bike, I paid him cash, he stayed the night in a motel about 100 miles on the trip back, and it was all done.

But he was a known Guzzi guy, and although I was new to Guzzis, I'd been to the 2000 National rally, and when I quoted a few names of people I'd met, he was fine with it all ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Rotten Ralph

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2016, 10:31:02 AM »
If your bike's on a trailer - your major loss would be your time and fuel for 2.5 hrs. each way. Get a nice deposit before going there and you should be OK.

Just don't meet in a vacant warehouse at 11 PM! :grin:
Never trust a dog to guard your food

03 HD RK / TLE car
65 BMW R69S
60 BSA Gold Star
13 Moto Guzzi V7 Special

Offline clubman

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2016, 10:31:27 AM »
You're talking about 2 different things here. 1. Completing the sale of the bike and 2. Getting it delivered. #1 should be completed before #2 gets talked about. No cash no splash. You should have cleared funds in hand first, period. Otherwise you are taking a big and unnecessary risk.
BMW R1250RS, Ducati 821 Monster, KTM 890 Duke, Indian R1200R Carbon

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2016, 10:40:08 AM »
It's funny drop the right names among long time Guzziesta and doors will open.   It's one of the many enduring pleasures of being obsessed with the bikes of Mandelo.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2016, 10:56:19 AM »
There are cases in which the buyer or seller gets you to go a long way, and then when you get there, has a reason the price should be different.  He knows you have a lot to lose if you go home without the transaction.  I know of cases when the buyer went a long way, that the seller then tried to say someone else had offered more, trying to up the price.  The same could happen if you go a long way, and the buyer says he found a better deal, or he didn't realize your bike wasn't as shiny as it looked in the photos, etc..

This confirms Photoguzzi's suggestion that you get a non-refundable deposit before you start the trip.

By the way, in one case I  know of when the seller tried to up the price by cell phone, after my friend the buyer had already driven several hours, the buyer told him that they had already agreed on a price, he had the cash with him, and that he was going to continue to the seller's house, at which time he was going to get either the agreed on motorcycle, or something of equal value.  The seller was waiting at his driveway entrance with the motorcycle ready to load.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Online sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2016, 01:43:47 PM »
It's funny drop the right names among long time Guzziesta and doors will open.   It's one of the many enduring pleasures of being obsessed with the bikes of Mandelo.

I bought a '69 Benelli last year, and we were 1,500 miles apart.  We split the distance, because we each were acquainted with the same fellow in the "Benelli/Sears Wards Motorcycle scene" so that we could trust that each would show up and hold to the price. 

It worked. 
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Offline timonbik

• Gosling
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2016, 02:15:47 PM »
If it is only 2.5 hours away why wouldn't the buyer just drive over, check out the bike. PAY FOR IT, then arrange for delivery AT HIS EXPENSE.  That way, no surprizes for anyone!!!

Cheers, Tim
2008 BREVA 750
2020 V85TT ADV rosso
2016 APRILIA SHIVER 750
2013 VICTORY JUDGE CUSTOM
2013 VICTORY XR CLASSIC
2006 VICTORY V92TC
2006 DUCATI MULTISTRADA 620 (IN DUCATI HEAVEN)

oldbike54

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2016, 02:21:26 PM »
 Jonathon , sounds like you are looking forward to a trip to Vermont . Every time we make a transaction some risk is involved . At least this way the buyer won't know where you live , so when the bike acts up ... :laugh:

Dusty

Moto

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2016, 02:59:23 PM »
If it is only 2.5 hours away why wouldn't the buyer just drive over, check out the bike. PAY FOR IT, then arrange for delivery AT HIS EXPENSE.  That way, no surprizes for anyone!!!

Cheers, Tim

I'd offer to have him come to me, pay for the bike if he wants it after he looks at it. Then if it's more convenient for him to have you deliver it, he could pay you whatever you think is fair, and you'd still get your pleasant drive to Vermont. Do it for free if you want.

In fact, this is about the same as an the arrangement I'm contemplating for this weekend. I've already gone to test ride the bike (2 hours away), and may go back to pay in person if I want to go ahead, with the seller delivering it in his trailer, for $100. (Or I may just send a check, since we know each other now and are both easily trackable.)

It all depends on how trustworthy the other party seems to be, and the best way to judge that is to have him come to you.

Moto

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2016, 03:17:15 PM »
I bought a bike from a guy in VA and he was willing to meet me at a gas station half way somewhere in NC.  I left Kim as collateral as I took it for a test run, completed the transaction via cash, then took off.  It took maybe an hour and both left on good terms (and Kim followed me back home).

I would make sure he has insurance on it.  He can obtain that before you arrive via the VIN number and just cancel it if he doesn't do the deal.  Also if VT has temporary tags he should bring one if he's going to ride it home.  If he's trailering then that's no big deal.
George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline giusto

• Gaggle Hero
  • Giusto il canne del Como
    • photobucket
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2016, 03:37:25 PM »
If it were me I'd ask him to pay via pay pal or at least a hefty portion down. If you want to make the trip and deliver then do so for that reason...other wise he can rent a U-haul motorcycle trailer for 19$ and make the entire deal a whole lot easier.

2 cents
2020 V 85 TT Travel
76 V1000 Convert Mr. Slate
76 V1000 Convert...in restoration process
2008 Norge Mia
2007 Breva
66 Benelli 125
68 Gilera 106
è il viaggio non la destinazione che è importante

oldbike54

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2016, 03:41:15 PM »
 Seems Jonathon wants to travel to Vermont , are you guys conspiring to keep him out of the state for some reason ? :grin: Jonathon , have you somehow managed to upset an entire state ? Seems way out of character  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2016, 06:11:29 PM »
I don't think I've spent any time in VT this year. Beautiful state.  I had a job up on Grand isle once. It's in the NW corner of the state at the very top of Lake Champlain. Rolling hills ringed by deep, clear blue water. Dairy farms sprinkled across the countryside. When you've had enough nature for the day you can roll into downtown Burlington and birdwatch for co-eds. 

Then again- forget that. I think I'll just hang out here and try to slip in a political thread.

Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2016, 06:30:32 PM »
I bought a bike from a guy in VA and he was willing to meet me at a gas station half way somewhere in NC.  I left Kim as collateral as I took it for a test run ....

Was there any agreement as to how long he'd wait to foreclose on his security if you ran out of gas or something?   The possibilities of things going wrong boggle the mind ....  :wink:

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2016, 06:58:13 PM »
Was there any agreement as to how long he'd wait to foreclose on his security if you ran out of gas or something?   The possibilities of things going wrong boggle the mind ....  :wink:

Lannis

Yeh, I guess I didn't consider the seller's  safety when I went for that ride Lannis.    The farmer's daughter can definitely inflict some pain  :evil:
George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here