General Category > Bike Builds, Rebuilds And Restorations Only

1978 Le Mans restoration

<< < (4/17) > >>

2WheelsUp:

--- Quote from: Motorad64 on December 10, 2021, 04:08:16 PM ---Once you vapor or bead blast one component you kind of have to do it all, but its worth it.
--- End quote ---
I know... did you vapor or bead (shot peen?) your cases? Can you share a link to more pictures of the engine/gearbox or perhaps send me a PM?  Also, I like your rotors... who makes them?

2WheelsUp:
I found your project thread Motorad64... really nice build. I can only hope mine will approach what you, canuck750, and Dave, and others have done... inspiring! I'll keep digging into previous builds... good late night geek reading

I found a good powder coater in the ATL area... he does a lot of bikes for local builders... we'll see in a few weeks

I picked up a set of clip-ons to replace the bent one that came with my bike. They are in great condition except they are chrome rather that black as is proper with a 78 LM1. I'm sure the chrome version will look great on my bike but I'm leaning toward de-chroming it and sending it along to the PC. I know plating services can de-plate chrome... looking into that now... but are there other ways to do it correctly?

1down5up:
The black clips ons were black zinc, not paint (or powder coat). If you are using the original switch gear it earth's through a foil tab on the back of the switched onto the clip ons, paint or powercoat will result in your switch gear not working.

If your not using the original switch gear won't be an issue though. Just make sure the powercoat is t to thick so you can still fit the clutch perch and front master cylinder on

Motorad64:
It seems like some of the early ones had chrome headlight ears and bars.  My '78 had black painted headlight ears and black painted bars.

On your thoughts whether to rebuild motor/trans...I decided to have someone more experienced open it up and check everything out.   No idea of the bikes real history, a welded up oil sump drain hole and just 40yr old seals, etc made me want to go ahead an invest in the rebuild.  That way I could ride the crap out it with a clear conscience knowing its true condition

blackcat:
I kept the original switches and went with Greg Bender’s relays as per his suggestion just to make sure none of the wires and switches get fried.

Those switches are very expensive nowadays so the $92 bucks spent on the relays will possibly save money in the long run.

I also powder coated the frame and wheels and I had the engine,transmission and final drive all vapor blasted but on another Guzzi projected I had the same parts soda blasted because everything was rebuilt and the soda is not a problem compared to the vapor medium. But the vapor finish is better.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version