Author Topic: What selling strategy has worked for you on Ebay?  (Read 2274 times)

Online Travlr

• Gaggle Hero
What selling strategy has worked for you on Ebay?
« on: January 27, 2016, 01:45:00 PM »
I'm going to sell a BMW I have on ebay soon.  I'm not in a rush.  But I do want to sell.
It seems there are several ways to go.

1. Put it on, no reserve.  (I'm nervous about this one)

2. Start with a low opening bid of the least amount you will take.

2. Start high and work your way down. (some big sellers appear to use this)

Thoughts on what has worked well for you?

Mike

1991 Moto Guzzi LeMans 5
1977 BMW R100S

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
Re: What selling strategy has worked for you on Ebay?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 03:25:20 PM »

-No reserve.
-An opening bid I can live with, but is less than what I'd like to get.
-Start the auction so that it ends in the evening hours, preferably on a weekend, like Sunday Night.
-Set a flat rate shipping price, so there are no questions or issues at the end of the auction.

Too many people who don't understand auctions put unrealistic reserves and "but it now" prices on their items.  Experienced Ebayers will be less likely to bid on an item with a reserve.  If it has a reasonable opening bid, then they know they won't be wasting their time with the auction.

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline dsrdave

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 03:31:11 PM »
Yes, just set the opening bid at or a bit lower than your price, an hope there are two people interested.
2-850T, 2-1000 convert/hacked, V11 sport, V50, centauro, '97 sport 1100, '71 V7 ambo, '76 850 Lemans,CX100,"83 LM III,1000SE, '91 LM V, '07 Griso, '53 super alce,moto parilla, zigolo, Lodola 175, Lodola 235,  '07 norge, '67 stornello, 57galletto, Nuovo Falcone, stornello ISDT, 52 Airone sport

Offline segesta

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 03:38:25 PM »
Consider what your goal is: Is it to get rid of the bike and make a little money in the process? Or is it to make money?

Typically I'm in the former camp--there is value to me in simply not having the item in my garage anymore, not dealing with insurance anymore, etc. So I price things to move, and try to be happy with whatever I get.

If you're trying to make money, then prepare to wait and wait and wait. That's not necessarily a bad thing, because there may be a buyer for every seller at a given price, but don't get frustrated.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 03:39:44 PM by segesta »
--
2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom
2013 Ducati Monster 796
2010 BMW K1300GT

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 03:38:25 PM »

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 03:42:15 PM »
I don't sell on eBay its to expensive. Local CL has been good for me. Yes you have to wade through a lot of BS but its free and reaches lots of people.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline NCAmother

• Gaggle Mentor
    • NathanAppel (NSFW)
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 03:46:00 PM »
And have price continuity.  I tried to sell a lemans I seat and seatpan/fender for $500 on eBay.  Someone (most likely from this site) sad I was smoking crack (and he was right except the crack part lol)  After 2 months finally sold them for $159.  Lesson is: hope for the best, prepare for the worst   :)

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 04:36:01 PM »
Plenty of good, well lit PHOTOS. They do have a best offer option. Be prepared for offers all over the map.  You can turn any of them down. :grin: Show any extras that come with the bike. Create a dummy email address to use exclusively with your ebay ads. Make arrangement beforehand about your involvement with shipping. Make it very plain in the ad if you will sell/ship overseas. Good luck!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 04:37:05 PM by Shorty »
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 07:19:09 PM »
I don't sell on eBay its to expensive.
accept this is a vehicle listing which has a flat rate listing price.. they don't take percentage of final price so usually it's a good way to sell. used to be $65. or $125 depending on sale price I think/..

+1 on good photos.. offer to assist the shipping company but the cost is all with the buyer.

if you list at no reserve (or even w/reserve) you can always cancel before the auction expires, you might be out the listing fee tho.

also you can require bidders to have a certain feedback history so chump bidders get weeded out (mostly).
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 09:31:39 PM »
I don't sell on eBay its to expensive. 

I've quit using Ebay to sell small items.  Yes, on the small items, the fees will eat you up.

However, as Foto mentioned, it's flat rate for vehicles.  So, not really that bad a deal, considering the exposure you get.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline SPEIRMOOR

• New Egg
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 09:50:30 AM »
I end all auctions on Thursday night (Payday) when people are richer

Offline keuka4884

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2016, 11:00:24 AM »
As Rocker said - have the auction end at night. I prefer Sunday night. List it on a 7 day auction.
Take lots of pictures - well lit and in focus. If there is a dent or paint chip, show it up close. Be honest and open with the description. Show a closeup of the gauges to prove mileage. The best way to get far less than you want is to take 2 out of focus pictures and include a one sentence description.
A big item like a motorcycle list it with a buy it now and/or make offer.
Know how much others are selling for. I watch what I want to sell to gauge the fair market value before listing. Then I list it a bit higher than market. The "make offer" covers you there.
Don't skimp on the description. If you can find positive reviews online, link to those.
Give all the specs. Most people link an online spec source.
If there is any interesting history, say it. Some people like a story.
What about shipping? Local pickup only or will ship? If will ship, who pays? The wise seller makes the buyer arrange shipping. Too many variables to guess the cost. Once it leaves your place you want NO additional liability, so buyer responsible for shipping. 
And I agree with those who say cut out bidders with a short history or negative feedback. Lock them out.
Be patient. Don't be concerned if you have to list it for 3 months, once a week. You will always get different people looking.
If it were me I would not list a motorcycle until winter is about done.
I would also list it on Ebay and on CL. Do not accept ANY bank check from a CL buyer. It won't cash. And Paypal only for Ebay buyers. It's your best insurance.
Good luck.

1978 850 T3
2017 Lincoln Continental Black Label
1996 Cadillac Eldorado Coach Builders convertible

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2016, 03:29:33 PM »
The only vehicles I've bought there (2) have been where I received a "second chance" offer from the seller THROUGH Ebay.  In both cases there was an unrealistic reserve but a low minimum bid and I was able to place a decent maximum bid so that when the auction ended I was the highest non-winning bid. 

So  I would set a low minimum plus as low a reserve as I'm almost willing to go knowing that I can use the second chance process if I have to.  There are a lot of people who won't take a second chance offer but in both my cases I came out great.  But the offer has to come through the Ebay system.

Realistically though selling through Ebay just doesn't make sense if you are looking to get a "fair" price.  IMO you are going to end up at more of a wholesale number and way below retail.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 03:31:13 PM by Dilliw »
George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here