Author Topic: 2003 Moto Guzzi California EVT possible purchase  (Read 1643 times)

Offline Travman

• Gaggle Hero
2003 Moto Guzzi California EVT possible purchase
« on: May 09, 2016, 11:08:07 AM »
A few days ago I rode a 2003 California EVT and a 2003 California Stone back to back.  The Stone had a medium sized barn door style windshield and the same style bags that were on the EVT.  I liked the engine in both bikes.  I've ridden probably a half dozen California's and these two 2003 feel better than the others.  The biggest differences in the bikes was the floorboards and wind protection.  The EVT had rubber mounted floorboards that absorbed vibrations and didn't transfer any noticeable vibrations onto my feet.  The Stone had standard floor boards and the vibrations to my feet were noticeable enough to be a big problem.  The Stone's windshield was terrible and cause horrible buffeting at any speeds over 35 mph.  By 80 mph it was unbearable.  If it was my bike I would simply ride without the windshield.  The EVT's fairing and windshield did a good job.  At 80 mph there was only mild buffeting and if I slouched and brought my line of sight down below the windshield then I was in a total quiet pocket. 

So I am interested in getting the blue EVT.  It is missing the lowers.  It has a few scratches from where it has been dropped.  It has very low miles.  I think the odometer was at 1,400 miles.  Since this bike was on consignment I asked the dealer to check to see if the mileage was correct and if it has any recalls done.

If I remember correctly, these came with hydraulic lifters which failed and had to be fixed.  Is this correct?  Should I have them pull the valve covers and check?  What should they look for?  Were fixed bikes converted back to conventional solid lifters?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 12:08:48 PM by Travman »
Travis King
'70 Ambassadors, 73 Norton, 73 V7 Sport, 12 V7 Racer

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
Re: 2003 Moto Guzzi California EVT possible purchase
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 11:32:48 AM »
The floorboards on the stone are not correct.  They came from an older series tonti.  All the new ones are like the EVT with the thick rubber mounting.  The EVT has other advantages too, like the adjustable suspension and supposedly better ergonomics (seat and bar).

Yes, these should be hydros, both of them.  There are a lot of discussions about inspecting hydro jobs and what to look for.  I've typed up several and so have several others.  Do a search.  If you have specific questions I'll try to answer them, but I'm not going to rewrite the entire novel.

I think the EVT is a good choice.  Mine has been all the way east and all the way west, as well as most of the way north and south.

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 12:01:44 PM »
Interesting...very low miles indeed.  There is also another Blue California for sale on Cycle Trader in S. Carolina for $3900 I believe.

I just picked up a 2004 Blue California EV about a month ago, hydraulic lifters done, double clutch done, you should check fork seals as well due to age, factor in tires etc.  Great bike...the barn door windscreen is a bit buffeting I agree, I rode it w/o the windscreen and enjoyed it much more at speeds up to about 80...after that it would be nice to be in the "pocket".  Great bike indeed!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 06:04:58 PM by PJPR01 »
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline Travman

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 05:52:48 PM »
Interesting...very low miles indeed.  There is also another Blue California for cycle on Cycle Trader in S. Carolina for $3900 I believe.

I just picked up a 2004 Blue California EV about a month ago, hydraulic lifters done, double clutch done, you should check fork seals as well due to age, factor in tires etc.  Great bike...the barn door windscreen is a bit buffeting I agree, I rode it w/o the windscreen and enjoyed it much more at speeds up to about 80...after that it would be nice to be in the "pocket".  Great bike indeed!
The blue California in SC looks like a really good deal. Thanks for sharing.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 11:45:05 AM by Travman »
Travis King
'70 Ambassadors, 73 Norton, 73 V7 Sport, 12 V7 Racer

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 05:52:48 PM »

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 07:12:48 PM »
If I remember correctly, these came with hydraulic lifters which didn't which failed and had to be fixed.  Is this correct?  Should I have them pull the valve covers and check?  What should they look for?  Were fixed bikes converted back to conventional solid lifters?

Fixed bikes had different valve springs, valves reshimmed, different cams, different lifters. Plus an adjusted that got 'broken off' once it was set.
Yes, get a photo of the "non-adjustable adjusters" and a photo of the top of the valve springs. (it should be shiny alloy, not dark steel).
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 07:33:56 PM »
My 2003 Stone Touring has the OEM GUZZI "Sport" (small) windshield, aided by a "Laminar Lip" attachment.  It works great.

Note, the Guzzi Sport windshield is adjustable for rake.  Mine buffeted a bit until I adjusted it to a more upright configuration.  That plus the Laminar Lip add-on make for very nice touring at higher speeds.

Ralph

ps:  The later EVs (including the 03/04 models) have OEM tubeless wheels, which are a big "plus".  I converted my Stone's wheels to tubeless but the EV's OEM tubeless wheels are bettter.
Ralph
"You don't stop riding because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding".

2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
2017 Honda CB-500F
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here