Author Topic: Can you trace a bikes ownership history?  (Read 1121 times)

Offline Travlr

• Gaggle Hero
Can you trace a bikes ownership history?
« on: November 08, 2016, 05:17:09 PM »
I'm restoring a 1977 Laverda Jota.  I know the ownership history after 1984.  And I know it was imported by Lance Weil/Rickey Racer in 1977.  Is there a way I can document the ownership from 1977 to 1984?

Thanks!

Mike
1991 Moto Guzzi LeMans 5
1977 BMW R100S

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Can you trace a bikes ownership history?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 06:08:46 PM »
I don't think you'd find a paper trail.  But start by talking to the last known owner and take it from there.

Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 06:22:11 PM »
This is something I miss, in NZ they used to have Ownership papers that stayed with the bike.
I know they did the same in GB, I saw a picture of a set with TE Lawence's signature on, how cool was that?
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline jumpmaster

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 10:40:23 PM »
When I was tracing the gaps in my Mille's history, I was told by somebody that you can get, from the factory, the name of the importing dealer & to whom they sold the bike initially, for a fee.  I haven't gotten around to trying it myself yet, so I can't verify that this is true...
JC
90 Mille GT (sold), 73 Eldorado, 75 Norton Commando, 46 Whizzer, 13 Harley Road Glide

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 10:40:23 PM »

Offline jumpmaster

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 10:48:02 PM »
When I was tracing the gaps in my Mille's history, I was told by somebody that you can get, from the factory, the name of the importing dealer & to whom they sold the bike initially, for a fee.  I haven't gotten around to trying it myself yet, so I can't verify that this is true...

Forgot to add - some states also will research their registration records if you provide the VIN - again, for a fee.  They may or may not give info on other states' records.  They have access to them through cooperative agreements for crime investigations, but they may or may not be willing to go that far for you, & if they do it will probably also be for a hefty fee.  Best bet is to cultivate a VERY good friend at your local DMV & see if you can persuade him/her to help you - again, for a fee.  Do you see a trend developing here????
JC
90 Mille GT (sold), 73 Eldorado, 75 Norton Commando, 46 Whizzer, 13 Harley Road Glide

Offline sithot

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2016, 04:29:26 AM »
Paperwork-provenance adds value.  My '73 was imported in the 90's and came with documentation from the factory including homologation papers and an official letter from Moto Guzzi stating when it was sold and to whom.  Also has some Italian correspondence pieces dated to '74.
Much of the import paperwork was to get it into the country as it was an ROW bike the frame number is still visible which does not match the engine like the "tagged over" US bikes.  At the time of my purchase the dealership was still in business according to Alis Agostini.

Jumpmaster; the bill from Moto Guzzi for the archival work was ITL 20 when it was done in 1997.  Pretty good deal. :wink:

The other V7 Sport is a 2 owner bike with the second owner buying it in 1974 from the 1st owner after a very short stint.  He kept it until '08 when I got it.   The gentleman I purchased it from referred to it  "my horse" and asked that I take care of it.  He was its caretaker for 34 years.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here