Author Topic: Saving an SP  (Read 4882 times)

Offline timmythecop

• New Egg
Saving an SP
« on: December 20, 2017, 08:22:40 PM »
Hello.
After an on again off again relationship with Guzzis, I decided that I wanted another one.  In the past, I had a V65, a naked SP1000, a LeMans 3, and a V50.  So I had a chance to get a sorted SP in the next town and I sprung.

First thing I did was ask my old bikes and stuff broker if he had any vintage saddlebags.  Of course he did, and after a few minutes with the brackets, I had the Krausers on.

I didnt like the seat, so I tried a solo:

After much ado in fitting a loop frame seat on there, I decided to go stock.  I made a deal with a cool dude named Luke.  We met to swap that red and black seat for a stock one.  Turns out he was the owner of my bike before the guy I got it from.  Small world, no?  He explained the goodness that I had: It was a frame-off restoration with a 1980 CX100 motor installed. It has all stainless brake lines, all new Ferodo pads, custom repaint, a Powerlet, electronic ignition, Dyna coils, koni shocks, Biturbo shock cartriges, a Telefix fork brace, Bub exhaust, an aftermarket steering damper, SP2 footrest hangers, new Metzelers and it had only gained a few miles since he sold it.  Groovy, to say the least.  Turns out I really like the stock item and thats the way it will prolly stay.

The reason for the save?  This bike was in the midst of a cafe conversion when I got it.  I saved it from hipsterdom and vowed to return it to stock.  This was fairly easy and the biggest problem I am having is putting the dash back to stock.  I think I have most of the pieces but it had me head scratching on most days.

I just had to have these nylon/plastic levers a saw on e-bay if for nothing else, as spares.

I just got a set of stock mirrors in and they make me happy.  I cant believe I was the only bidder and they were so cheap!

So now, I will finish up the dash soon, and it will be road ready.  I am also amassing all the bodywork so I can do a re-paint.  I realy dont want to mess with this paint job as it is nicely done, if not a bit too dark red.  The new style will be exactly as stock, but black where the black is and where the electric blue would be, British Racing Green.  Got some fairing lowers for unbelievably cheap and a tank, now searching for the rest.

Thanks for your attention and any help or hints with these dashboards is welcome.

1980 1000SP
1978 850 T3
2000 VFR800Fi
2015 Harley FLHTPi
2005 Harley XLH1200R
1995 BMW R1100GS
1992 BMW K75S
1981 Suzuki GS450T

canuck750

Re: Saving an SP
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 09:58:53 PM »
Nice find!! I really like the SP and my bad back would like it too.

Offline timmythecop

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2017, 05:08:21 PM »
Well look at that. The two holes in the morror in no way match tge hokes in my fairing. My guess is the guy who repainted it glassed it in and drilled new holes fir his aftermarket mirrors.
1980 1000SP
1978 850 T3
2000 VFR800Fi
2015 Harley FLHTPi
2005 Harley XLH1200R
1995 BMW R1100GS
1992 BMW K75S
1981 Suzuki GS450T

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2017, 05:08:21 PM »

Offline jvb

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2017, 06:13:08 PM »
Well there is a reason  the stock mirrors on an SP or T4 are replaced.
They are:
they never stay adjusted.
the vibrate so much you can't see behind you.
in my case, I was constantly adjusting my line of sight so a could see around my arms.
mine split at the ball joint  probably from constant  readjusting.

The only positive is they fit the stock mounting holes.

As the fairing is not well supported at the mirror mount area, I'm inclined to go bar ends next after trying a number of after market mirrors mounted on the fairing. A lot of shaking taking place at the original mounting points.

I'm not surprised you were the only bidder.

Offline timmythecop

• New Egg
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2017, 10:57:56 PM »
Well, that info is worth mire than I paid for the mirrors, so I'm okay with it. Goid thing I have a pair of brand new Napoleons.....   
1980 1000SP
1978 850 T3
2000 VFR800Fi
2015 Harley FLHTPi
2005 Harley XLH1200R
1995 BMW R1100GS
1992 BMW K75S
1981 Suzuki GS450T

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here