Author Topic: Introductions thread...Introduce yourself to the group !  (Read 1092944 times)

Offline Looter

• New Egg
Re: Introductions thread...Introduce yourself to the group !
« Reply #1680 on: April 28, 2015, 08:34:32 PM »
My name Lute Mullenix, occupation industrial maintenance, age pushing the big 60, living in Nebraska. Got on the forum cuz I recently picked up 1984 850 T5 and I want to learn all I can bout the care and feeding of it.

Winder

« Reply #1681 on: May 05, 2015, 04:26:03 PM »
Hello Folks,   just saying I am new here ... and really enjoying the site. The 2014/25 Stelvio is on my short list of new bikes,  and thought I would join this site in the course of my research.  (the other is the 2014 tenere)

This coming Friday I test drive the tenere and the fz09-for fun  ... and need to queue up the Stelvio afterwords ....

I have a MG relatively close and a Yamaha closer.... both are solid dealerships .... so we'll see.

Anyway,  thanks for the interesting site, and your real world experience...

Winder   

Offline bluesboy

• New Egg
« Reply #1682 on: May 06, 2015, 03:15:43 PM »
Hey all. I have been lurking around since I bought my CalVin 2 years ago. I love my Guzzi, but I am thinking of changing to a Norge. It was on my short list when I got the Buell. I chose the Buell because at the time I thought that it would have better dealer support. Hmmm, 6 months later Buell is shut down. Moto Guzzi is better than ever. Shout out to Fotoguzzi. It seems like we have a lot in common. I follow your posts here and on Big Bad and Dirty.
2009 Buell Ulysses XT
2007 California Vintage

Winnipeguzzi

« Reply #1683 on: May 07, 2015, 04:08:27 PM »
Hi, I'm Neil and I'm 50 and live north of San Francisco in Mill Valley.

I'm a writer and I have a 77 LeMans 850 that I've owned for 10 years and ride regularly.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #1683 on: May 07, 2015, 04:08:27 PM »

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
    • Borealbreeze Bernese Mountain Dogs
« Reply #1684 on: May 08, 2015, 09:01:36 AM »
Howdy folks. New to the site. Not a Guzzi owner yet. Have a Triumph Explorer 1200, BMW K1200R and a Kawasaki Versys. Thinking of ditching the K1200R and Versys and getting a V7. Want a light weight touring bike to take to the 4 corners of the earth. As the V7 is the only sub 400 lbs shaft driven bike made right now its the only thing on my list. Just worried about reliability and parts availability.

Hello, welcome. I use a 2013 V7s as my choice of do-all touring bike. The only reliability problems I've encountered have been self induced. If you leave it basically stock, dip every nut and bolt in Locktite, it will take you anywhere a street oriented bike will need to go; including fire roads at a rational pace. I'm seriously considering buying a set of Stone wheels so I can run tubeless when I go further than a 1000km from home (aka outside of go grab the trailer distance).
Availability of parts will vary widely.  ;D
My experience has been to identify key items and build a stock on hand. Tires in Canada seemed to be a problem at the start of last summer... for example. I have a complete service kit in the shop; plugs, oils, gaskets, tires, etc.
If you go the V7 route; upgrade the suspension and add a centre stand.
One may write one's destiny but the unknown delivers it.

Offline Twinpot

• TwinPot
  • New Egg
    • Morgan Plus 4 Bloo'
« Reply #1685 on: May 08, 2015, 02:48:52 PM »
Hello from NornIron (Northern Ireland)

Mark (Moss)
Semi Retired
Motorcycles, Cars, boats, guitars, a bit of painting (but quite frankly I'm an awful artist) - and of course The Spaniel 'Ozzy.'

Both my girlfriend and I have bikes: Me - HD Streetbob 2011
                                                             BMW R1200GS 2009
                                                             XT660Z Tenere Yamaha 2013

Karen - HD Sportster 1200 Low 2007

I am currently trying to buy a Guzzi to replace the one I should never (isn't it always the case) have sold. My first Guzzi was bought in 1996 and myself and a Guzzi friend (now deceased) at the time were regularly asked about the bikes (when parked) by passers by. Both 1995 1100i Californias. ................... ...

QUICK UPDATE:     http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=21281.1360

Moss.

http://bloomorganplus4.blogspot.co.uk

I can't get photoshop to play ball just now but the California can be seen here - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=890129&page=7

under 'Batman'

Moss
http://bloomorganplus4.blogspot.co.uk/

2011 CalVin, 2016 HD Electra Glide, 2013 XT660Z Yamaha, 2009 R1200GS

smallers

« Reply #1686 on: May 10, 2015, 03:14:11 PM »
Hello from Portugal

Andy Smallwood
Portugal
49 years old
Cycling tour guide

I also own a holiday apartment here in the Algarve in the south of Portugal.  I bought my first ever Guzzi last week, a 2001 Cali EV with just 4,400km on the clock.  Glad to finally be a Guzzi owner and to join this great forum.

invisibro

« Reply #1687 on: May 11, 2015, 02:56:51 PM »
Hey guys - I'm Jay. A new owner of a used 2013 V7 Stone - purchased from forum member flatop, who is a really nice guy and took great care of it.

I'm 32, work at an ad tech start-up in NYC, and live in Brooklyn.

Here's a pic right before my first ride:

Offline Solojoe

• New Egg
« Reply #1688 on: May 11, 2015, 04:00:20 PM »
Joseph Austin
Edmonton, AB Canada
May 11/15
My first Guzzi - 2007 Norge with 10K kms (6200 miles) on the clock.
The previous owner was just that an owner! I plan to ride.
4 wheels move the body but 2 wheels move the soul

Offline Noguzznoglory

• Gosling
« Reply #1689 on: May 13, 2015, 11:31:59 AM »
test
93 750 Nighthawk
73 Honda CB350
73 Honda CL450
04 Breva 750
15 Norge
16 VERSYS 650

Offline ed.bremner

• New Egg
  • 850T3 California Rosso
    • BremWeb Imaging
« Reply #1690 on: May 13, 2015, 01:30:02 PM »
Well I have been lurking for a while and reckon it is about time I introduced myself....

I am Ed and I live over in the UK, in Cornwall and ride a 1977 850T3 California.  It's ur....how can I say this....RED!

I am 57 and work most of the time in Plymouth University as a Learning Technologist.  Used to be a photographer, you can see my website at www.bremweb.co.uk or an instagram feed at:  http://www.instagram.com/ed_bremner/

Can I get away with such a short intro....No?  Well I guess not, but please feel free to ignore if you prefer :-)

OK,  I got my first bike back at 17 in the 70s, a nice little Yam DT125.  I fell off that a lot till I got a bit more confident, passed my test and bought a Ducati 350Mk3.  That was a sweet little bike, although I still managed to fall off a few more times. The handling was so good it just lured you on and on to go faster and faster with more and more lean until suddenly, with little warning, you were kissing tarmac.  Would of kept that I guess, but my dad gave me his Honda 400/4, which was sweet enough and quite a bit faster.   I even managed to pretty much stay upright on that one! 

The 400/4 was stolen (bastards) and my brother feeling sorry for me leant me a Suzuki GS1000.  Great fun, but way to big for me to drive around town through the winter.  I drove like a maniac the whole summer, then in the autumn bought a Yam RD250 for the winter and got immediately ticketed for speeding.  It was nowhere near as fast as the GS1000, I rode much slower, but was a complete magnet for attention from our boys in blue, so decided to get another big Suzi.  I found a GS650 and ran it for a year or so, but it was without doubt the most boring and soulless bike I ever owned.

It was at this stage (1978) that I found myself working for a photographer in London, by the name of Jake Wallis, (Son of Barnes Wallis - Bouncing bomb and all that) and he used to let me borrow his bike to run errands around town.  It was a 1978 850T3 Cali.  I was totally smitten.  This bike was just the best possible choice for getting around town.  Big enough to be secure, but with the weight nice and low, really flickable.  I had to have one.  It took me a while, as my budget was rather limited, but I found my 850T3 Cali locally, for the reasonable sum of £750.  Only problem was it was totally knackered.  All the chrome was shot, there was rust everywhere, the exhausts innerds rattled, the seat was covered in tape, the brakes were seized, the clocks didn't budge, but it ran OK, but hey, it was mine!  Amazingly (and due to lack of family/work/committments etc it was only in my brother's workshop for 6 months or so before it was out and ready to roll.  (For what it worth, I bought a DT175MX, whilst Guzzi was in garage, fun....but silly).

My Cali came out of the workshop a very different animal. I had no garage at the time and the Guzzi would have to live outside, so all bolts were changed to stainless.  The chrome was shot, so this was stripped and replaced with Red powdercoating, the frame and all chassis (EVERYTHING) was then painted to match in red, even down to a new red seat. It was red....very red.  I though it pretty cool, but I had nothing but ribbing from friends who asked me why I was riding a ex-fire department bike (yeah, funny guys).  I was also getting some flack about the bike being 'old fashioned' and unable to keep up with their new GSX-whatever-R's.  But hey, I  wasn't worried, the bike suited me and I am still riding it 28 years later.

It was then my main transport around London for 10 or so years and in that time, it gave sterling service, but had a toughish town-life. It was dropped lightly a few times...and all corners bumped by cars or bikes. It was regularly serviced, but ran just fine.  When I moved to Bristol, it wasn't used for work and became a plaything. It came out the garage for w/end trips, around Wales, and over to France and up to London, etc....well until Millenium Eve and I was just returning home on bike in evening, when someone did a 'Sorry, I never saw you mate' and pulled out in front of me.

Bugga.....I had had my share of bumps and falls over the years, but this one scared me.  I was fine, if a little bruised and shaken.  But somehow I felt my riding wasn't what it was when I was riding every day in town.  I just felt I should of known that car was going to pull out.  My sixth sense would of told me.....but this time....nadda. 

Mmmmm....The Cali you ask?  What about the GUZZI! Ah, well I almost cried as I looked at it on the ground, but to be honest, I was just happy it was the bike that was bent and not me.  Amazingly there was no argument from the insurers and they offered the money for the  full repair value.  Well, that was good, but there was no way I was letting anyone else work on my Cali, so I had to re-negotiate a new settlement for cash.  That was possible, but not such a good deal, but hey, it worked for me as I was able to put in a bit more money and take the opportunity to do some other work, like replacing all the break lines etc.  Once I had the money it was only a few days work and 95% of it was done in a month or so.....but then.....what can I say....I got married, had kids, got a new job, got heavily into re-building old boats, and that last couple of hours of work kept the Cali in the back of my workshop gathering dust for 14 long years.

So.....why?  Biking friends said I had lost my nerve, so I rebuilt an old Montesa 247 for the fun of it.....others pointed out I should of just got it fixed by a garage as Insurers wanted. Can't say really, just didn't feel like the right time.  The Cali and I were just waiting.

Last year a friend wanted to borrow some space in the workshop for his SV-1000 and suggested if I wasn't going to put it back on the Road, I should sell it.  I mumbled that I was stuck on how to lead the new brake lines....and the rectifier/regulator was fried (again)....   He said:  "OK, lets do it....at least it will make some room"   So now 8 months later, the Guzzi is out the workshop and the SV1000 has been in for weeks, so there is still no bloody room.

And I am back on the road, regularly riding to work, a 40mile round trip into Plymouth. I am thrilled and it is great to be using the bike again, rather than as a 'plaything'.  I need a purpose for a ride, I can't just 'go for a fun-ride'.

I am riding a whole bunch slower and more defensively these days and I was just amazed by how long it took me to build up my riding ability again and more importantly my nerve. The first few days were spent totally terrified that every corner would be hiding a diesel slick and every van was going to cut across me, but I am getting there.

The old Cali is looking pretty tired now.   Red, but tired.  The prang and previous drops mean that all the bolted on bits are not quite square anymore.  The seat has got a couple of tears and there are about 4 shades of different reds in the paintwork.  Mechanically she is OK, but suffering badly from 'brick-in-bucket' gear changes, I also think the clutch is slipping a bit. Oh and there is a little knock, which although it has been there for years does worry me a bit.  What is the mileage?  No idea, had at least 3 clocks, one was a swap, and I don't think the one that came with it was original.  Not immense, maybe 40-50 thousand whilst I have had it.  The Cali just kinda fits.

I am enjoying riding again, and do wonder about getting something more modern, but find it hard to rationalise why I would want to. I'm pretty broke and I have the Guzzi.....its working.....I need to get to work.....lets ride.

So there you have it.  If anyone got this far in my introduction....wel l done! :-)

I look forwards to joining in. 

Thanks to the moderators up front, I know what it takes, as moderate two other fora....

see ya on the forum.

eib

Moto-Guzzi 850T3 California 77
Turned Red in 87
Both me and the bike knackered but still rolling...
Montesa Cota 247

Offline jbell

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Some progress
« Reply #1691 on: May 13, 2015, 07:51:53 PM »
Yup, we call that Red on this side of the Atlantic as well.  Welcome.
'75 Ducati 860 GT  On the road
'76 Guzzi T3   Future project
'78 Guzzi G5  Current project
'81 Guzzi G5  Organ donor
'92 BMW K75RT  On the road
'16 Triumph Thruxton R  "Holy Moly"  Gone but not forgotten, sigh.

"Be yourself, everyone else is taken".......Oscar Wilde

Dave Bell

« Reply #1692 on: May 14, 2015, 06:46:21 AM »
Dave Bell, new to this site.  I've bought a 2013 V7 Stone that I will be picking up in late June and riding the Blue Ridge Parkway on, then home to Texas.  I'm 66 years old, and am a psychologist living just East of Dallas, Texas.  I've wanted a Guzzi for several years.  My main hobby is restoring 70's BMW R bikes.  Currently have '80 RT that is being converted to S (sort of).  Also have a 75 R75/6 and a 71 R65 which is going to be a cafe racer. I have a beautiful 77 R100/7 that I bought already restored.  I also have a Ural that I've traveled around New Mexico and Arizona and Utah on with a friend from Ruidoso, NM. 

My greatest motorcycling trips have been riding the continental divide from Canada to Mexico on the "Big Dog" routes and going to Copper Canyon and Galeana N.L. Mexico three times.

I've had BMW RT, BMW GS800, KLR 650, Honda PC800, Yamaha WR250, and several dirt bikes.

Hymes Inc.

« Reply #1693 on: May 17, 2015, 09:33:32 PM »
Chris Hymes, 30, Machine shop operator, Ft. Madison, Iowa
1984 V65C

Offline SmokyBC

• New Egg
« Reply #1694 on: May 18, 2015, 12:42:13 AM »
Hi,  I'm Don Schmok from Salmon Arm BC.

My wife and I put lots of miles on our BMW GTL, I also have a KLR for knocking around on back roads.

I'm retired, and putz around in my shop.

I just acquired a '73 Eldorado, with Wixom fairing and Velorex sidecar. It's been stored for most of its 43 years. I'm currently replacing the barrels and pistons. Looking forward to getting this on the road.

Don Schmok
Salmon Arm BC

'73 Eldorado with Velorex sidecar
BMW K1600 GTL
'93 BMW GS/PD

Offline SmokyBC

• New Egg
« Reply #1695 on: May 18, 2015, 02:58:09 PM »
A couple of pics of my new Guzzi.

Don Schmok
Salmon Arm BC

'73 Eldorado with Velorex sidecar
BMW K1600 GTL
'93 BMW GS/PD

Offline JProdun

• Hatchling
« Reply #1696 on: May 18, 2015, 03:36:09 PM »
Wow

Offline Green1

• New Egg
« Reply #1697 on: May 20, 2015, 11:24:15 PM »
New to Moto Guzzi,a Guzzi race bike has been my backgroung on my computer for 2 years though.Just bought a 13 leftover Stelvio and love it so far.I live @ 1hr north of the 49th parallel in NB Canada ,teach a motocycle safety course all summer and have been blessed with the motorcycle disease since 12.Hope to soak up some knowledge from this board.If you're in the area I can tour guide..Paul
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 11:27:25 PM by Green1 »
Never argue with an idiot, people watching can't tell the difference

Offline Siggy Javotnik

• New Egg
« Reply #1698 on: May 23, 2015, 09:18:07 AM »
Rich Oberdorfer, 41 years old, motor vehicle code lawyer, in Portland, Oregon. Here's me and the Saint Elvio:
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 10:49:30 AM by Siggy Javotnik »
2022 V85TT Adventure
2004 Triumph Thruxton
1977 Lambretta Serveta Jet 200

Jibbs

« Reply #1699 on: May 28, 2015, 08:51:47 AM »
Josh
Software Engineer
Cincinnati

Not actually a Guzzi owner yet, but my V7 II Stone is supposed to be here on a truck any day now.  I've been a sportier bike guy but my piriformis syndrome has left me unable to deal with the sporty riding position, so I'm trading the ZX6R for something more comfortable!

My bike history:
1996 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
2012 Honda CBR250R
2013 Honda CBR500R
2013 Triumph Street Triple
2013 Kawasaki ZX6R
2015 Moto Guzzi V7 II Stone (hopefully)

Hobbies include computers, video games, fishing, backpacking, disc golf, pretty much every other outdoor activity, motorcycles, cars

lenz9753

« Reply #1700 on: May 28, 2015, 06:53:45 PM »
Hi All

I'm now the proud 2nd owner of a 2010 Griso 8V 1200 in Central Queensland, Australia. (650km from Guzzi tech help) The bike has only 23,000km runtime, black / silver and runs a GR8V Termignoni muffler - a BEAUTIFUL machine !

The low speed (< 3500rpm) fuelling is rough with the occasional cough / spit much like an overly lean pilot jet / on a carbie. Muzzydiag may have solutions for me but I look forward to becoming part of the global Guzzi Community and sharing the benefits of our experiences.

Cheers
Lenz  Rockhampton QLD Australia

.... not panicking just problem solving VERY quickly ... 

Offline Chuck-D

• New Egg
« Reply #1701 on: May 29, 2015, 07:51:19 AM »
Hey all,

Chuck-D here, 39, Brooklyn, about to take delivery on a V7 II Stone.  Really looking forward to it.

It'll be my first shaft drive, kinda wondering what the normal routine/daily maintenance will be like.

Offline jumpmaster

• Gosling
« Reply #1702 on: May 29, 2015, 08:37:37 AM »
Hey all,

Chuck-D here, 39, Brooklyn, about to take delivery on a V7 II Stone.  Really looking forward to it.

It'll be my first shaft drive, kinda wondering what the normal routine/daily maintenance will be like.

Just like any other bike, minus the weekly chain oiling, monthly chain tension checking & the regular wiping of oil/grime off of the rear wheel & spokes.
JC
90 Mille GT (sold), 73 Eldorado, 75 Norton Commando, 46 Whizzer, 13 Harley Road Glide

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #1703 on: May 29, 2015, 08:49:10 AM »
Chris Hymes, 30, Machine shop operator, Ft. Madison, Iowa
1984 V65C

Chris, did you make the tank and other bodywork?  I can't say I would have chosen that shape, but it's very unique and appears to be done with skill.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Hymes Inc.

« Reply #1704 on: May 29, 2015, 09:24:37 PM »
Chris, did you make the tank and other bodywork?  I can't say I would have chosen that shape, but it's very unique and appears to be done with skill.
I did Jim. The front fender is the only factory piece left. I didn't have a plan on the tank, just started welding bits together. It's ok, probably going to build another one now that I have some experience. And it looks pretty good in that picture, just don't come see it in person.  ;-T

mkerr3001

« Reply #1705 on: June 08, 2015, 10:32:56 AM »
Hey Guys,

Michael Kerr from Johnson City, TN and own a 1998 EV11 California and a 2004 750 Breva.

Am 47 years young love to ride as much as I can. Also learning with from a friend who is experienced working on Asian bikes how to work on mine ...

Offline blunt

• New Egg
« Reply #1706 on: June 09, 2015, 04:14:14 PM »
I'm a 1974 Eldorado owner with cast iron sleeves and 90900 on the mile counter. I RUN MOLLY!! IN every component that "churns".  The sucker will do 75+ mph at 8000+ rpm in 2ND gear. Molly and cast iron is better than no molly and chrome!!!  Of course, thats my opinion..

Offline Francis

• New Egg
  • canuckian
« Reply #1707 on: June 09, 2015, 07:17:07 PM »
Hi
My name is Frank AKA Francis
from Alberta ,canuckland
ex military
heavy equip. op
been riding since 75
I do most of my wrenching,so far

I figure I should educate myself before/or not, pulling the trigger on a new 1400 touring guzzi
hence the reason why I'm here ,thanks in advance for letting me roam around!  :smiley:

I own

Sporty
750 four Honda
and soon hopefully a 1400 touring
TOMORROW
(noun)
a mystical land where 99% of all human productivity ,motivation and achievement is stored.

father guzzi obrian

« Reply #1708 on: June 09, 2015, 07:57:33 PM »
Hi,
I'm Father Guzzi Obrian, I used to be Eldo Jon, then I sold my Eldo to Ed Milich, I have been on the board for over a decade, I would now like you to call me Caitlyn.
Thank you,
Caitlyn :evil:

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1709 on: June 09, 2015, 08:37:28 PM »
You're about the ugliest Caitlyn I've ever seen.. :evil: :boozing:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here