Author Topic: MG, Bring Back the Sport/Cruiser  (Read 6784 times)

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
Re: MG, Bring Back the Sport/Cruiser
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2017, 01:01:19 PM »
Not unless Volkswagen now owns Guzzi, or Piaggio bought Ducati. Are you thinking of Aprilia? If so, they don't make a bike like that either; the Tuono is not a highway bike, and the Caponord is up against the Multistrada.

I guess I'd better go edit my error to prevent continuing confusion.   :)
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2017, 07:38:26 PM »
I guess I'd better go edit my error to prevent continuing confusion.   :)

Or I could read the entire thread before jumping in!  :grin:
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2017, 07:40:37 PM »
I did say based on 1400 powerplant

I like you too and we're both funny.  :laugh:

I include the power plant in my generalisation of the 1400.

Offline toaster404

• Gosling
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2017, 09:13:07 AM »

I have to agree - the 1400 motor in current configuration is a more laid back, torque-focused item.  On the Veloce setting I can get enough snap to smoothly whisk through our local roads properly, but not in the hard and fast way.  Even the Tourismo setting has me rolling back more throttle than is comfy with trail braking, at least for me.  Fortunately, I'm more into energy state management and smooth, relatively conservative transit.  More of a smile and satisfaction motor than a rush and adrenaline one!

That said, I treat my California as if it is a sport cruiser and it does fine in the heavy sport cruiser role, especially considering the geometry, mass, wheelbase, and position.  I will ride with my heels hooked on the passenger pegs at times, tucked behind the windshield.  Clearly a compromise, but one I happen to find appealing.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2017, 09:13:07 AM »

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2017, 12:00:45 PM »

by comparison, both my EV and V11 Sport have the 1100 engine.  They are quite different in tune.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Dalini

• New Egg
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2017, 11:04:01 PM »
MG does make a sport cruiser. It's the 1st of it's kind. Rider didn't understand it & most won't. It's a cruiser by it's configuration. Once adapted to it it handles more sport like than any other cruiser. Because it has bags it's a sport touring cruiser. The Scighera is a sport standard and in the same family as the FZ-7, the FZ-10 & standard GSXR 750.
I'm referring to the MGX-21 Flying Fortress.

Offline tool flinger

• New Egg
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2017, 08:03:32 AM »
I don't know if this has been noted here in another thread, but the Piaggio marketing VP had this to say in a Cycleworld article about the demise of the Stelvio and Caponord:

"As with Aprilia, radically new Moto Guzzi models might appear as early as EICMA 2017, and the big novelties will debut at EICMA 2018."

"At Moto Guzzi they are hard at work on a totally new engine, very advanced, a radical evolution compared to the present V7, V9 and V1400 units. It is due to complete this range of units and I will not say more at this date. We expect to be able to introduce some radical Moto Guzzi novelty at EICMA 2017, though at its concept stage."

Both quotes from here: http://www.cycleworld.com/aprilia-caponord-and-moto-guzzi-stelvio-major-casualties-euro-4

I'd love to see a new LeMans, but I'm not sure what to expect from a "radical evolution" engine.
'02 LeMans

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here