General Category > General Discussion

V7 Special -1971 touring reliability

(1/10) > >>

Fredrik:
Hello.

Anyone that have real life experience of long distance touring on early 70`s V7 models?

I plan to use my V7 for a longer journey the coming year and advices about the bike is appreciated. I have seen both posts that claim the bike is bullet proof and some that claim it is not very reliable. Based on my older Urals i have owned in the past never have stranded me do i hope the Guzzis are atleast the same in reliability. Of course do i refer to a well maintained motorcycle, mine is more or less stock except that the cylinders have been changed in the past to nicasil variants. Ignition is stock, generator etc.

What is your experiences?  :cheesy:

John A:
I bought my first 71 Ambassador in 77. It had about 60K miles on it. I realized it needed a freshening up to be more reliable and found a machine shop in Sacramento that used to repair them for the CHP. They put iron liners in the cylinders and recut the ring grooves in the pistons for automotive type rings. I put in excess of 200K on that one in every type of riding condition. I bought another and eventually took the best of both to make one that I rode for a long time with normal maintenance. I was always able to fix any breakdowns and consider them to be very reliable and comfortable. I got rid of all my loop frame bikes and parts around ‘93 .

Fredrik:

--- Quote from: John A on November 21, 2021, 10:15:17 AM ---I bought my first 71 Ambassador in 77. It had about 60K miles on it. I realized it needed a freshening up to be more reliable and found a machine shop in Sacramento that used to repair them for the CHP. They put iron liners in the cylinders and recut the ring grooves in the pistons for automotive type rings. I put in excess of 200K on that one in every type of riding condition. I bought another and eventually took the best of both to make one that I rode for a long time with normal maintenance. I was always able to fix any breakdowns and consider them to be very reliable and comfortable. I got rid of all my loop frame bikes and parts around ‘93 .

--- End quote ---

Thanks for reply.

I hope the change to nicasil cylinders is a better choice than the stock chromed ones.

TOMB:

See the bikes in mileage Below in my signature and yes they are very reliable.

And yes the miles are correct

TOMB

AJ Huff:
Nick949 can tell you 😉

-AJ

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version