General Category > General Discussion

Which is preferable for older riders: lite weight or low seat?

(1/12) > >>

Travlr:
I'm beginning to think a big bike with a low seat (cruiser for instance) is preferable to a lite bike with a tall seat (dual sport)  But what say you?

Mike

john fish:
For me, it's light weight.  I'm 6'2" with bad hips but I'd still rather mount the KLR by standing on the peg than ride a heavy bike with a low seat.  Some of this may be because I always seem to find myself on very bad and/or gravel roads lately.

I think my next bike will be 400 lbs or lighter.

SIR REAL ED:
Excellent question!  I should have asked it myself.

Obviously the answer is personal preference based on all our own specific desires. 

WHOA!!!  I guess if we all remembered that fact more mindfully and consistently, internet arguments would cease to exist.....  Nah, that's no fun!   :evil:

For me, at 62 years old, with a 30" inseam, and a double digit IQ (fun fact), the answer is I want both light weight and low seat height with the preference going towards light weight.  My bike shed is in the back yard on the other side of a shallow ditch, so even ground clearance becomes an issue.

90%+ of my riding is back roads so light weight is key, and I don't ride hard enough to need maximum high quality suspension of travel nor triple digit HP.

Nor are the majority of my rides multiple days or high mileage days, which tends to make the bikes heavier in terms of more features and more comfort.

I guess there are more factors to consider here than just the age of the rider.

JJ:

--- Quote from: Travlr on November 28, 2021, 07:40:30 AM ---I'm beginning to think a big bike with a low seat (cruiser for instance) is preferable to a lite bike with a tall seat (dual sport)  But what say you?

Mike

--- End quote ---

IMHO - "LOW SEAT" makes all the difference in the world...

For example.... "MOBY DICK" ....at 871 pounds...it is LONG (66" wheelbase).... and LOW....with a seat height of 25 inches, (with the 1-inch factory lowering kit) :thumb: :boozing: :cool:

It loses 200 pounds the minute you let the clutch out in first gear.... :wink: :thumb:

my display resolution

inditx:

--- Quote from: SIR REAL ED on November 28, 2021, 08:49:05 AM ---Excellent question!  I should have asked it myself.

Obviously the answer is personal preference based on all our own specific desires. 

WHOA!!!  I guess if we all remembered that fact more mindfully and consistently, internet arguments would cease to exist.....  Nah, that's no fun!   :evil:

For me, at 62 years old, with a 30" inseam, and a double digit IQ (fun fact), the answer is I want both light weight and low seat height with the preference going towards light weight.  My bike shed is in the back yard on the other side of a shallow ditch, so even ground clearance becomes an issue.

90%+ of my riding is back roads so light weight is key, and I don't ride hard enough to need maximum high quality suspension of travel nor triple digit HP.

Nor are the majority of my rides multiple days or high mileage days, which tends to make the bikes heavier in terms of more features and more comfort.

I guess there are more factors to consider here than just the age of the rider.

--- End quote ---

+1  :thumb:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version