Author Topic: V85TT info required?  (Read 1538 times)

Offline Bison

• Hatchling
V85TT info required?
« on: January 23, 2023, 04:48:10 AM »
Hi Folks,
My faithful (now) Norge is really becoming too heavy for me to move around manually, so I'm thinking, only thinking, about a V85TT, I'm going for a test ride tomorrow. I know it's still a heavy bike, but from what I read it's much easier to manoeuvre. Much as I like the spec of the travel, I don't like the colour, I'm old school, I like shiny, so I'll probably go for the evocative and add panniers etc.
Now the questions. There are some great deals on 2022 models here in the UK just now, just over £10K on the road, but do I wait for a 2023?. I love that Blu Uyuni, but does anyone know if that's the only difference?, colour?. The second question is, any idea when the 2023 models will be in the dealers in the UK?.
I realise these are not easy questions to answer with certainty.
My Norge is really my perfect bike, apart from that one huge fly in the ointment, weight, but I love that bike.
All opinions gratefully received.
Thanks
Alan.

Offline guzziart

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: V85TT info required?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2023, 06:50:03 AM »
Not to hijack this/your Q & A....
Are the hoses & wiring long enough to add Hbar risers?
Anyone install an aftermarket seat (Corbin, etc.)?
Thanks,
Art
'71 CB350, '72 Eldo, '72 CL350, '81 CB125s, '87 LMIVSE, '91 CT70, '03 V11 Lemans, '08 Wing  ('12 Wee Strom - R.I.P.)

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2023, 06:50:13 AM »
Hi Folks,
My faithful (now) Norge is really becoming too heavy for me to move around manually, so I'm thinking, only thinking, about a V85TT, I'm going for a test ride tomorrow. I know it's still a heavy bike, but from what I read it's much easier to manoeuvre. Much as I like the spec of the travel, I don't like the colour, I'm old school, I like shiny, so I'll probably go for the evocative and add panniers etc.
Now the questions. There are some great deals on 2022 models here in the UK just now, just over £10K on the road, but do I wait for a 2023?. I love that Blu Uyuni, but does anyone know if that's the only difference?, colour?. The second question is, any idea when the 2023 models will be in the dealers in the UK?.
My Norge is really my perfect bike, apart from that one huge fly in the ointment, weight, but I love that bike.
Thanks
Alan.
I own both a V85 and a Norge and I can tell you that what you MAY gain in the (slightly) lighter weight of the V85, you will lose in the greater seat height. I don’t think my V85 is significantly easier to push around manually than the V85.
The V85 is a more nimble bike to ride though.

Online twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2023, 06:59:36 AM »
Why are you guys pushing bikes around is the real question.  When I park away from home I always park where I pull forward to leave.  At home, I pull in swing to the right, then duck walk the bike back unto its spot ready to pull out again. 

The only bikes I dare move without being on the bike are the 300 lb or less bikes. 

Sounds like you should try a V7 and V9 as well as the V85TT.  The 2022s are well sorted so unless you like the new colorways better save a couple bucks.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2023, 06:59:36 AM »

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2023, 07:20:11 AM »
Why are you guys pushing bikes around is the real question.  When I park away from home I always park where I pull forward to leave.  At home, I pull in swing to the right, then duck walk the bike back unto its spot ready to pull out again. 

The only bikes I dare move without being on the bike are the 300 lb or less bikes. 

Sounds like you should try a V7 and V9 as well as the V85TT.  The 2022s are well sorted so unless you like the new colorways better save a couple bucks.
Ummm, I don’t have any trouble moving mine around TWA.
I was responding to Bison’s question.

Online twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2023, 07:38:53 AM »
Ummm, I don’t have any trouble moving mine around TWA.
I was responding to Bison’s question.

That's good Huzo.  The question is WHY are you moving them around, not why are you struggling to move them around.
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Bison

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2023, 08:05:54 AM »
My short driveway has paving slabs the width of car tyres with stones in between and a slight slope towards the garage, I have to dismount with the bike on the side stand then push it upwards over the pavement then downwards and into the garage, backwards, so I can ride it out of the garage. I'm a pretty weedy 11 1/2 stone (about 73KG) and well into my 70's. My garage space is limited, another 9 bikes and a sports car, so I have to get it right first time.
I love the looks of the V7, especially the dark blue one with the wire wheels, reminds me of my V7 Sport, but I also like weather protection, I ride all year round, and for those of you who haven't visited Scotland, it can rain, and snow, and just about everything in between, in the space of an hour. I'm also lucky enough to have other bikes which are similar in concept to the V7. These reasons are why my Norge is so suited to my riding. if, god forbid, it goes down or falls over though, I'm not going to be picking it up by myself!.
Alan.

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2023, 08:55:00 AM »
I hear ya, just found out I’m only 10.7 stone. I wouldn’t want to pick up a Norge either.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Online twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2023, 09:06:34 AM »
My short driveway has paving slabs the width of car tyres with stones in between and a slight slope towards the garage, I have to dismount with the bike on the side stand then push it upwards over the pavement then downwards and into the garage, backwards, so I can ride it out of the garage. I'm a pretty weedy 11 1/2 stone (about 73KG) and well into my 70's. My garage space is limited, another 9 bikes and a sports car, so I have to get it right first time.
I love the looks of the V7, especially the dark blue one with the wire wheels, reminds me of my V7 Sport, but I also like weather protection, I ride all year round, and for those of you who haven't visited Scotland, it can rain, and snow, and just about everything in between, in the space of an hour. I'm also lucky enough to have other bikes which are similar in concept to the V7. These reasons are why my Norge is so suited to my riding. if, god forbid, it goes down or falls over though, I'm not going to be picking it up by myself!.
Alan.

Thanks for the additional information.  There are products to help right a tipped over heavy bike, and proper ways to right them if they go over.  There are videos of slight females lifting heavy bikes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V-kw2zUkSI

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/WiYRWDnJe-U

And a video of one of the products.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPPfcE9Rnl0&t=618s

If you really love the Norge, how about rearrange the garage so you can turn it around inside?  Pull the car out when you want to put it away. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Online Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2023, 09:23:36 AM »
Alan.
what

I'd consider the 1" shorter shock factory rear shock and dropping the forks 1" . Side stand will need shorting too but that should make it manageable for you. Get the 22 Well sorted.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline guzziart

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2023, 09:49:23 AM »
Yeah, I've got a few bikes and always do a u-ey in front of the garage, dismount and push the bike in so I can ride it out for my next adventure.  Plus, I'm anal about always having my bikes on the center stand in the garage, I wish I could recall my reasoning for that habit.

Art
'71 CB350, '72 Eldo, '72 CL350, '81 CB125s, '87 LMIVSE, '91 CT70, '03 V11 Lemans, '08 Wing  ('12 Wee Strom - R.I.P.)

Online Matteo

• Alaska Guzzi's on Facebook
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Make me an offer I can't refuse!
    • https://squareup.com/store/doubleshovelciderco
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2023, 11:11:55 AM »
I loved my Norge but hated the centerstand, my worn out right shoulder finally made the decision to sell easy.
66 Stornello Scrambler,77 Lemans,80 CX100,16 V7II,21 V85TT Centenario
Gone to new homes: 84 LM3, 82 1000SP, 00 V11Sport, 84 V50III, 84V65, 00 Jackal, 07 Norge

Online Chethro

• New Egg
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2023, 11:59:39 AM »
I have straight 30mm risers on my 2020 V85. No problems, but that is about all you can do without rerouting.
2018 DR 650
2020 V85TT
2022 V7 850 Stone

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2023, 01:07:21 PM »
That's good Huzo.  The question is WHY are you moving them around, not why are you struggling to move them around.
To make room to get the lawnmower out.
To turn them around in the garage.
To get them outside to wash.
There are hundreds of reasons why you’d want to move your bike to position it, the rot usually sets in if you need to wheel it backwards on uneven ground or possibly uphill.
Or both.

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2023, 01:10:03 PM »
what

I'd consider the 1" shorter shock factory rear shock and dropping the forks 1" . Side stand will need shorting too but that should make it manageable for you. Get the 22 Well sorted.
And the centrestand.

Offline Gino

• Hatchling
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2023, 04:18:27 PM »
Hi Folks,
Thanks
Alan.

Hi Alan,
I bought a v85 last year , a 22 model, the 23 year seems the same apart from the blue one. My wife and I bought a pair and if I was doing it again I would look for a deal rather than pay the full price, I’m in Scotland as well. It’s a pity there is no competition up here.

Gino

Offline jackthebiker

• New Egg
  • 46 motorcycles so far
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2023, 07:09:09 PM »

I just bought this 2022 V85 TT. I went to buy a 2022 V7 850 Special, but couldn't resist the V85TT. Took off the top case. I will be 71 in a couple months so I know all about moving big bikes around, the V85TT doesn't seen to bad, after riding Harleys.
Currently riding a 2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Adventure  and a 2022 Kawasaki W800.

Offline Bpreynolds2

• Gosling
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2023, 07:18:22 PM »
It’s perfectly natural for people to move to lighter bikes as we get older.  I get where some of you fellows are coming from, saying stuff like, “Oh, you need to park it a different way or in a different place as to minimize moving it” or “here, you can buy these gadgets to help you feel safer moving it” or “here’s how to lift a bike once you drop it”.  I don’t think those really address the point of his post.  He’s feeling strained moving it, he’s losing confidence in his ability to handle the bike if something goes wrong, this even pushing it 2 feet.  This happens to all of us.  Even your most beloved motorcycle there will come a time when you will need to downsize.  And who is to say that’s right or wrong so much.  He’s asking if the V85TT would be much different; he’s not asking if his feeling about the weight of the bike is correct or not, nor asking for suggestions on things he could do to possibly keep it. 
2020 T120 Bonneville

Online twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2023, 06:20:18 AM »
It’s perfectly natural for people to move to lighter bikes as we get older.  I get where some of you fellows are coming from, saying stuff like, “Oh, you need to park it a different way or in a different place as to minimize moving it” or “here, you can buy these gadgets to help you feel safer moving it” or “here’s how to lift a bike once you drop it”.  I don’t think those really address the point of his post.  He’s feeling strained moving it, he’s losing confidence in his ability to handle the bike if something goes wrong, this even pushing it 2 feet.  This happens to all of us.  Even your most beloved motorcycle there will come a time when you will need to downsize.  And who is to say that’s right or wrong so much.  He’s asking if the V85TT would be much different; he’s not asking if his feeling about the weight of the bike is correct or not, nor asking for suggestions on things he could do to possibly keep it.

Very true, but in a forum format we don't know if the person asking the question has thought through all the alternatives unless they share that they have thought through all the alternatives and came to the decision that parting with the bike is the only answer.  It is only through conversation do we get to that point.  Like being around a campfire as Luap says.  There are many times when in a conversation with someone I will say, "Oh, I didn't consider that."  We don't all think the same or go through decision analysis the same, or consider all of the alternatives the same. 

His original post was short and mentioned to heavy to move around manually.  For many of us, moving a motorcycle around manually only occurs on our property because we can mostly work it out where we don't have to move it manually when out and about.  Through discussions it did come out that most of the issue was moving it around the driveway and full garage.  He also said he loved the bike, so naturally coming up with ideas on what to do in order to keep the bike would be part of the conversation.

When I was living in the house where we raised our children I could only fit one motorcycle in the garage so that is where my touring bike was parked because it was the largest/heaviest bike.  I built a garden shed in the back yard and my sport bike got parked in there which meant the ground had to be dry for a day before it got taken for a ride.  Then I built a wing off the side of the garden shed with gravel floor and my dual sport bike got parked there along with the riding mower.  Then a second dual sport was added. 

Once the kids left, it was time to find a new house with a dedicated shop space. 

So basically, this would have been a very short thread because the answer would have been "Enjoy your test ride and let us know if the V85TT is your next bike", because any other answer would have just been injecting our opinion.   :grin:
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Bpreynolds2

• Gosling
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2023, 07:26:03 AM »
All good  :thumb:
It just felt like you guys were giving him a slight bit of grief or doubt for merely saying he isn’t as confident with the weight of his bike.  But as per usual, a lot gets lost online and I’m sure that’s not quite what you meant and/or I possibly misunderstood.
The comments regarding the handling differences between the 2 bikes is interesting.  I’d heard the V85 is surprisingly agile. 
2020 T120 Bonneville

Online twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2023, 12:18:11 PM »
All good  :thumb:
It just felt like you guys were giving him a slight bit of grief or doubt for merely saying he isn’t as confident with the weight of his bike.  But as per usual, a lot gets lost online and I’m sure that’s not quite what you meant and/or I possibly misunderstood.
The comments regarding the handling differences between the 2 bikes is interesting.  I’d heard the V85 is surprisingly agile.

The V85TT is very condidence inspiring and definitely easy to ride fast through the curves.
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Guzzidad

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2023, 07:35:58 PM »
   I had the same concerns after 5 years of Norge ownership. The final decision came after I tipped over in my front yard, on the grass. No damage but I couldn't pick it up. Had to have the wife come out and help me. I still wanted a sport/touring style bike and finally found a 2008 Triumph Sprint ST for sale  at a reasonable price. 150# lighter than the Norge, sits a little lower, has more power, still has character, and it's good looking. I still keep a 2002 Guzzi Special Sport in the garage that I ride regularly and the Sprint gets long distance duty.

Offline Bpreynolds2

• Gosling
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2023, 09:29:00 PM »
   I had the same concerns after 5 years of Norge ownership. The final decision came after I tipped over in my front yard, on the grass. No damage but I couldn't pick it up. Had to have the wife come out and help me. I still wanted a sport/touring style bike and finally found a 2008 Triumph Sprint ST for sale  at a reasonable price. 150# lighter than the Norge, sits a little lower, has more power, still has character, and it's good looking. I still keep a 2002 Guzzi Special Sport in the garage that I ride regularly and the Sprint gets long distance duty.

Yes, the multi bike garage is still the best option, I thik.
2020 T120 Bonneville

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2023, 11:00:14 PM »
Had one of those before the Norge, actually they overlapped a bit.

Utterly fabulous.

Offline Bison

• Hatchling
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2023, 04:35:51 AM »
Hi Folks,
My apologies for having caused dissent amongst the ranks!.
Here are my findings. I rode the V85TT on Tuesday, my goodness, what a lovely bike, and yes, very much easier to handle and more lively than the Norge. Not a great deal in it when moving manually, but definitely easier. After the ride, discussing with my pal the merits and otherwise, I realised that the V85TT wasn't really doing all that much more than the Norge, it did everything better, that's for sure, but my primary objective is to get a bike which is lighter, it is on the move though, and Guzzi's have come a long way with the V85TT, a much more modern bike in every way, but still retaining the Guzzi soul.
So I headed to Glasgow yesterday to ride the Triumph Tiger 660 sport, yes I know, I'll be excommunicated!. Obviously a very different kettle of fish, and an excellent bike, still managing to avoid being bland, pretty much 70KG lighter than the Norge, and it shows!. I had a lovely ride back over towards Stirling, and I was thinking, jeez, I love this Norge, HA!, so, no decision yet guys. If I didn't have the Norge, or lets say if I had another make of bike as an every day ride, V85TT, no question, but replacing the Norge with the V85?, I still don't know.
Hey, a big part of the fun is trying all the different motorcycles before taking the plunge, no rush!.
Thanks for all the replies.
Alan.

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2023, 05:16:39 AM »
Hi Folks,
Thanks
Alan.

Not sure this will be helpful, but several of my friends with Breva and Norge Models felt the same as they aged. One solution and help was to stop filling the bike to full, but would stop at 3/4 only filling 4 gallons, and would try to keep the bike below 1/4 tank when arriving back home (in other words not refilling when returning home, and filling up on the way out for a trip).

These bikes can feel a bit top heavy with that tank that sits so high. Sure it cut fuel range, but keeping the bike lighter up top and overall was helpful.  If I recall the Norge (depending on year) is about 525-550lbs, and the V85 is around 450-475lbs? That can be significant especially when one carries its weight so high.

Good luck!
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline Bison

• Hatchling
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2023, 06:13:24 AM »
A valid point Bulldog9, and another point is the sidestand angle, I'm just off to the garage to see what's involved in welding a spacer to the bottom of the side stand leg. I keep the bike on the mainstand, and although it's a bit of a heave, I can manage that no problem. My routine is, stop, switch off, drop the side stand, get off, then lift to vertical and onto the mainstand, then reverse when I start off, lifting the bike from the side stand to vertical is a major heave, and thinking about it, one of the main reasons for me being concerned about the weight, when I drop the bike onto the side stand I do so gently, because I'm afraid of either it bending or going over too far and tipping. This psychological aspect, when I think about it, is causing anxiety.
Alan.

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2023, 06:56:09 AM »
I'm afraid of either it bending or going over and tipping
I wouldn’t be unduly concerned about bending the side stand.
If you imagine you are looking at the front of the bike (resting on it’s side stand), from axle height down the gear change side along the bottom frame rail…(if it had one..)
You’ll appreciate that your eye is about the same height as the side stand pivot. As the rider climbs aboard putting his weight on the bike, some will be taken by the wheels, but indeed some will want to tip the bike towards the side stand in an attempt to throw it on it’s side.
But…(Thanks to Pythagoras…)
The direction of travel that the pivot point wants to follow is not directly down, it is rotating clockwise (as viewed by you), in an arc with a radius equal to the distance of the pivot, to a line drawn between the contact point of the two wheels.
If you don’t believe that, get down and look along the line at axle level as I mentioned at the start, and have a glamorous assistant retract the side stand and begin to “lay the bike down” as if the extended side stand was sinking into soft ground.
You will see that the direction of the arc that the pivot point is making, does not so much BEND the stand, but COMPRESSES it.
Moreover, if your assistant laid the bike all the way over..! You’d see that the pivot point contacts the ground very close to a point where the side stand foot would have come to rest in normal use.
This proves that the load on the stand is almost all compression, not bending.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 07:00:05 AM by Huzo »

Offline Bpreynolds2

• Gosling
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2023, 07:51:58 AM »
Hi Folks,
My apologies for having caused dissent amongst the ranks!.

:grin: :laugh: :wink:
Sir, this dissent that you speak of is what goes as discussion around here  :thumb: 
2020 T120 Bonneville

Online Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2023, 08:40:10 AM »
I replaced my Audace, too heavy, with a new Bonneville. I haven't been excommunicated, yet. But I also have a V7lll so I am still allowed to hang around.
kk
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 08:46:12 AM by Moparnut72 »
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here