Author Topic: NGC, 1972 Cb 750 chopper cylinder 3 not getting hot at idle???  (Read 527 times)

Online bobrebos1

• Gaggle Mentor
But it is getting hot under throttle.  Carb low speed idle jet, spark plug?  What would you check first?  1972 cb750 inline 4, 4 carbs.  Thanks for any help. 
Tennessee/Georgia areas Moto Guzzi Enthusiasts -Traveling lunch meetups (on Facebook)

Offline faffi

• Gosling
Re: NGC, 1972 Cb 750 chopper cylinder 3 not getting hot at idle???
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2024, 02:38:01 AM »
The idle mixture screws on these should regulate air. So if all adjustment screws are set equally, it seems logical to expect a blockage in the idle circuit in the carb of the affected cylinder. Could be the jet, and/or the circuits in the carb body itself. I usually spray carb cleaner into on end of the circuit and check that the cleaner exit the other end to verify if it is blocked or clear.
Current bikes:
2018 V9 Roamer
1982 XV750/1100 mongrel
1990 XT600Z
2001 NT650V in bits

Online bobrebos1

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2024, 06:41:19 AM »
The idle mixture screws on these should regulate air. So if all adjustment screws are set equally, it seems logical to expect a blockage in the idle circuit in the carb of the affected cylinder. Could be the jet, and/or the circuits in the carb body itself. I usually spray carb cleaner into on end of the circuit and check that the cleaner exit the other end to verify if it is blocked or clear.

That’s what I thought.  Hoping it’s something as easy as a clogged jet.  Il tear into carb next week. 
Tennessee/Georgia areas Moto Guzzi Enthusiasts -Traveling lunch meetups (on Facebook)

Online Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2024, 07:22:33 AM »
Good luck. I would imagine that getting to the carb will be harder than checking the jets.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2024, 07:22:33 AM »

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2024, 09:06:06 AM »
Could be a bad plug, put a timing light on it to see if sparking. Then move to carb.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2024, 09:47:08 AM »
I would add a bunch of Seafoam to the tank before I started tearing things apart. I live in California where non-ethanol fuel is non-extent where I live. I have trouble with engines that are only run seasonally even though I take steps to prevent the problem. Most of my yard equipment are the main trouble makers. Seafoam will usually get them running right again. It is usually the idle circuit that acts up.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Online bmc5733946

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2024, 11:27:53 AM »
I was taught by a fella I respect to rev the engine high (near redline) and close the choke while holding the throttle open. He told me that occasionally it would suck something out of the jets and allow better running. I won't say it works, I have done it one my 1978 750-4 and it seemed to help. Costs nothing and is less work!

Brian
1989 MILLE GT 
2004 BREVA 750     
1975  Convert

Online chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2024, 02:21:42 AM »
Spark.  Timing light blinking? At idle…high rpp

Compression. Pull plug, thumb or gauge

Gas. Can you open a drain plug? Does moving the petcock on/off/res effect the flow of fuel thru the drain..

After that I would need more tools, like beer.
 :popcorn:
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Online bobrebos1

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2024, 12:54:24 AM »
Il check spark at idle first, then float bowl fuel level using the clear tubing method, then float level, then low speed idle circuit.  Out of state for another week then will get to it!  Woo hoo!

Online Grabcon

• New Egg
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2024, 10:51:13 AM »
A few of things on the SOHC CB750. As mentioned the spark plugs. Check the spark plug caps, they are screwed on to the plug wire. Unscrew and cut no more than 1/4" for a fresh end put back on plug cap. The wires are typical short  so trimming to much will give you grief. The plug wires cannot be extended they are molded into the coils.

Now to the carbs. If you have a cold cylinder pull the carbs off. pull them apart on the bench. Everything. Clean the passages and make sure that the emulsifiers are pulled and cleaned. If parts are needed, gaskets and needle valves and seats only buy keihin carb parts do not buy aftermarket kits. More money yes but less grief.

Make sure the float levels are properly set. Fully assemble on bench put the carbs level in a flat pan wide enough to hold are carbs. Hook up a gas supply and check to make sure the floats and needle valves are working and there are no leaks out of the overflow tubes. 

If all that tests good put back on the bike. If you have a center stand put the bike on the center stand and turn on the gas. Give it five mounts and check for overflow leaks. When they are apart polish the pin that hold the float in place. Once there is not issue, fire up the bike and again check for your cold cylinder.

When you park the bike overnight or longer period, turn off the petcock and run the carbs dry. this help keeps the ethanol from reacting with the pot metal of the carbs, and keeps the corrosion free.

If you have spark the issue on cold cylinders on these SOHC motors is always carbs.

Here is an excellent SOHC forum. http://forums.sohc4.net. Hondaman is the guy that is the technical guru.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2024, 02:51:44 PM by Grabcon »
Don't count every day. Make every day count.

Offline John Croucher

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2024, 11:58:27 AM »
Float level

Online bobrebos1

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2024, 01:24:41 AM »
A few of things on the SOHC CB750. As mentioned the spark plugs. Check the spark plug caps, they are screwed on to the plug wire. Unscrew and cut no more than 1/4" for a fresh end put back on plug cap. The wires are typical short  so trimming to much will give you grief. The plug wires cannot be extended they are molded into the coils.

Now to the carbs. If you have a cold cylinder pull the carbs off. pull them apart on the bench. Everything. Clean the passages and make sure that the emulsifiers are pulled and cleaned. If parts are needed, gaskets and needle valves and seats only buy keihin carb parts do not buy aftermarket kits. More money yes but less grief.

Make sure the float levels are properly set. Fully assemble on bench put the carbs level in a flat pan wide enough to hold are carbs. Hook up a gas supply and check to make sure the floats and needle valves are working and there are no leaks out of the overflow tubes. 

If all that tests good put back on the bike. If you have a center stand put the bike on the center stand and turn on the gas. Give it five mounts and check for overflow leaks. When they are apart polish the pin that hold the float in place. Once there is not issue, fire up the bike and again check for your cold cylinder.

When you park the bike overnight or longer period, turn off the petcock and run the carbs dry. this help keeps the ethanol from reacting with the pot metal of the carbs, and keeps the corrosion free.

If you have spark the issue on cold cylinders on these SOHC motors is always carbs.

Here is an excellent SOHC forum. http://forums.sohc4.net. Hondaman is the guy that is the technical guru.

Hope this helps.

Outstanding!  Thanks!!!!

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2024, 04:36:01 AM »
Have you said whether you have checked the carb balance ?
Is the slide for #3 lagging behind such that it does not provide fuel/air at idle, but chimes in to some degree at more open throttle ?
Can you detect the cylinder “coming alive” suddenly as revs rise, or does it just blend in ?
I guess I’m asking, at idle it noticeably running on three cylinders ?

Online Grabcon

• New Egg
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2024, 07:14:18 AM »
Have you said whether you have checked the carb balance ?
Is the slide for #3 lagging behind such that it does not provide fuel/air at idle, but chimes in to some degree at more open throttle ?
Can you detect the cylinder “coming alive” suddenly as revs rise, or does it just blend in ?
I guess I’m asking, at idle it noticeably running on three cylinders ?

Carb sync will not affect the cylinder running cold. Syncing is for balancing the carb flow at idle.

The only year of the CB750 where the carb slide would lag or get stuck is the first year of production. One throttle cable split into four. All the years after that had a linkage that fixed all slides to move together without one or more getting stuck or moving at differently.

Don't count every day. Make every day count.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here