General Category > General Discussion

Introductions thread...Introduce yourself to the group !

<< < (665/723) > >>

Fredrik:
Hello all.

Thanks for being let in the forum.

My name is Fredrik, live in south of Sweden. 47 years old and work daytime as a maintenance manager on a power plant. I am also involved in our familiy buisness that i a tuning and engine overhaul workshop.

Recently bought my first Moto Guzzi, a V7 Special -1971.

I also have some Urals and IZH motorcycles and the russian bikes have been my main hobby the last 26 years.

My bikes at the moment:

Moto Guzzi V7 -1971
Ural Retro -2010
Ural Вояж -1999
IZH Jupiter-3.01 -1980
IZH Planeta-5 -1993
Suzuki Volusia -2004
Yamaha Tenere 660 -1993
SMC 720 MBX -2016 ATV

motorhead30510:
Greetings:
Old guy here, 81 years of age, and riding since 1958.  Lots of great bikes over the years, including once long ago a Guzzi 1100 Sport.  Have been down to just two bikes the last year or so; an old favorite 2012 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom and a new favorite, a 2019 Royal Enfield INT650 twin.  Neither is really well suited as a 2-up bike for me and my pillion ladyfriend of many thousands of miles, as we've found the V-Strom a little too tall and top-heavy when loaded; the Enfield is too cramped.  Scratching my head to think of a good standard (where did all the UJMs go?), the V7 has popped onto my radar.  I do like an engine with character (my two Buells were among my favorites for that very reason).  Critical will be passenger-peg-to-passenger-seat orientation, so I've got to wait until the Atlanta dealer gets something in stock to do a trial sit.   I'm off to Florida soon for the next three months, so maybe I'll visit the Tampa dealer and compare offers.  At any rate, I may well be joining the group of Guzzi Owners so I look forward to putting some faces with names.

Pete Tamblyn
Cleveland, GA

Moparnut72:
I don’t want to lure you away from MG but a Triumph T120 might fit the bill. I just got one for touring, but I still have my V7lll  for local riding.
kk

motorhead30510:

--- Quote from: Moparnut72 on November 24, 2021, 09:38:19 AM ---I don’t want to lure you away from MG but a Triumph T120 might fit the bill. I just got one for touring, but I still have my V7lll  for local riding.
kk

--- End quote ---
Thanks for that suggestion (a T120 Triumph).
I thought I had stumbled on the perfect "last bike of my life" to ride off into the sunset on (metaphorically, at least) when I bought a 2018 T120 with no test ride of any duration.  I discovered it had an incurable light-switch throttle and that its handling was slower and heavier than a previous 800 Triumph I had enjoyed.  I sold it and moved to a 2019 Enfield INT650.  I love the "smallish-ness" of that bike for solo, but I'm now groping for something that feels accommodating for my ladyfriend 2-up without going to a LARGE bike.  All the adventure-styled bikes carry their weight too high for garage and slow-speed maneuvering.

Maybe my best bet is a Honda CB1100, which still might just feel too bulky at 550 lbs wet.

Maybe I should just forget it and resign myself to being content with our CanAM F3-Limited and kiss good-bye to the thrill of leaning in a curve.  At least it doesn't try to fall over when we stop!

Pete

Iron Cross Junction:

--- Quote from: motorhead30510 on November 25, 2021, 09:18:04 AM ---Thanks for that suggestion (a T120 Triumph).
I thought I had stumbled on the perfect "last bike of my life" to ride off into the sunset on (metaphorically, at least) when I bought a 2018 T120 with no test ride of any duration.  I discovered it had an incurable light-switch throttle and that its handling was slower and heavier than a previous 800 Triumph I had enjoyed.  I sold it and moved to a 2019 Enfield INT650.  I love the "smallish-ness" of that bike for solo, but I'm now groping for something that feels accommodating for my ladyfriend 2-up without going to a LARGE bike.  All the adventure-styled bikes carry their weight too high for garage and slow-speed maneuvering.

Maybe my best bet is a Honda CB1100, which still might just feel too bulky at 550 lbs wet.

Maybe I should just forget it and resign myself to being content with our CanAM F3-Limited and kiss good-bye to the thrill of leaning in a curve.  At least it doesn't try to fall over when we stop!

Pete

--- End quote ---

Good morning ... at least it's that here at the top of Virginia as I peck out this comment.

I'm not (yet) 81, but have your taillights in sight.   :wink:

Also looked you up on the web.  Interesting moto-background:  :bow:
https://motorcyclementor.com/pete-tamblyn-motoswami/

In fact, while my brother in Hiawassee rides (a Ducati, for shame  :grin:), I forwarded your "mentor" bio to him because of the mention of your stained-glass experience!  Long story.   :rolleyes:

But ... back to motos, and Guzzis in particular.

For the likes of aging you, others, and me, most any of the new lighter machines will do.  You have enough experience to find what is right.

But, as you well know, your mention of the "lady friend & 2-up" riding complicates things.  Lots.  The desired combo of enough power for two and the lightness for the one -- e.g., in manhandling it around the garage, etc. -- is a conundrum.

I am married to Kathi, my Perfect Pillion & Polish Princess  :kiss: -- who also indulges me in my Guzzi disease.  She is a slip of a thing; I am ... erm ... not.

She loves riding our Norge, and, almost as much, the EV.

I find the former more of a handful when two-up and loaded with fuel and Kathi's various and seemingly ever-growing stock of "essentials."  The latter, while old in years and miles -- a '98 with 106K -- still soldiers on.  "Bill N" here has 130K on his!

Here are two (highly sought after) HDM EV's (Hot Dog & Mustard).  Mine is to the front. Russ Huffman (a south Georgia fellow), visiting us on his way home from Maine last summer, is at rear.  Hes been to the Prudhoe Bay on that one! 

You might consider a Cali as they are out there, inexpensive, and easy to work on.  They aren't particularly light, but the low COG makes the weight seem less than it would be on a taller machine.  "Californias" look like cruisers, but are built on Tonti "sport bike" frames -- OK, OK, 1968 sport bikes!   :wink: -- so they handle remarkably well for "old cruisers."  My EV has been all over your north Georgia stomping grounds and now the grand roads of Virginia and West Virginia.  With panniers and a tail box, Kathi can (almost) carry everything she needs while she enjoys herself back there ... and  I pretend (unsuccessfully) that I am Rossi.

More pix of a recent ride here: https://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=113066.0

But ... if you want something new (as I am, too, just now), you might consider two Guzzis: the yet EICMA-only V100 (see other threads here) ot the V7-850.

The former is in my sights, but too speculative as to weight, etc., to get serious about just yet.

The V7-750-OS (On Steroids) is already on the roads in enough numbers and with credible reviews from "real people" to warrant a look.

There are threads here on wildguzzi about it, but you might also take a look at this: https://advrider.com/f/threads/moto-guzzi-v7-850.1486696/

I have a v7 III.  A sweet machine.  I have not tested it two-up, as my fighting weight worries me if I added even svelte Kathi.  But, Bob Wegman who posts here and on ADVR regularly, has ridden it two-up on day rides without issues. 

A Daytona-area Florida friend -- "Lash" here and on that thread -- rode my V7 III 1600 or so miles in October.  He now has a V7-850 and has posted about it.  Knowing he had that one on order when he rode my III, I specifically asked him to compare the two for two-up riding.  He has since told me (to no surprise) that it has noticeably better power than the III.

Obviously, as with all such things, YMMV, but I tell you the above for such value as it may have as you look around.

If ever this way, stop in.

Apologies for the TLDR post, but I can't help it.   :embarrassed:

Bill

P.S. Feel free to continue this off-line: wrhagan AT earthlink.net

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version