Author Topic: UPDATE - need advice on small(er) motorcycle  (Read 4142 times)

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Help - need advice on small(er) motorcycle
« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2021, 06:06:07 PM »
I’m kind of surprised that there are not more recommendations for the small block Guzzies as there are several members here who own them and really like them?

He's already had one. I think many of us assume he already knows.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2021, 08:14:55 PM »
From an old, busted up Construction Worker with many decades in the trades I've found the bike I all to often go to is my.

Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2021, 08:39:54 PM »
He's already had one. I think many of us assume he already knows.
I reckon so, good point 👍

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2021, 09:54:49 PM »
My vote is for a V7. Yes the seat may be a little high but they are very manageable. I am getting as old as dirt and my V7lll is very easy to handle. Very nice bikes and more than worth the selling price.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2021, 09:54:49 PM »

Offline Dimitri_Harkov

• Hatchling
« Reply #64 on: November 25, 2021, 01:22:44 AM »
I have 30'' inseam as well and the V7 III's height poses no problem whatsoever.
There are few 'standard'ish bikes around that have a lower seat.

Still think it's too heavy if your musculoskeletal system is not yet up to 100%.

Cheers & speedy recovery,
D.
2020 V7 III Stone Night Pack

Offline greer

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #65 on: November 26, 2021, 05:43:32 AM »
Way to go, Kevin!  The pondering and discussing is all part of recovery, and so much fun, too.  As has been said, the weight is an issue as you begin to regain your strength and abilities.  Lighter the better starting out, in my opinion.  I fully enjoyed owning a classy little TU250X as I recovered from an accident some years ago.  It was happy enough at back road speeds, and it was good fun spending time in the garage keeping it clean and polished.  You started to make a list of possible candidates yet?

Sarah
Sarah '21 V7 Special, '17 XT250, '17 V9 Roamer sold August 2021, '16 V7 II Stone sold September 2021, '08 Nevada Classic sold August 2020 
Doug '21 V85TT, '05 Sportster Roadster, '13 XT250

Online SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #66 on: November 26, 2021, 07:55:56 AM »
I looked for a super light, still powerful, not uncomfortable, fun bike to ride ... ended up with a 2018 KTM 690 Duke.

73 HP (at the crank)
327 lbs (dry)

And for some reason, pretty decent seat-to-peg distance (knees not bent up much).  The 2016-2018 models have the dual counter balancer motor which is surprising smooth.

Feels like another species of motorcycle.   :laugh: 

Yep!!!!  Every time I let someone ride my 2016 Duke 690, without fail, when they get back they will say:

1.  "Holy @#$%^ this thing is FAST!"
2.  "It's SOOOOO light!"
3.  "It's so smooth, I can't believe this is a single cylinder bike!"

Prior to buying ti, when I sat on it at the dealer, the first thing I said was "Old man ergonomics!"  Plus you can flip the footpeg mounts to lower them a bit more.

The Duke 690 really is another species of motorcycle.  The Aprillia SXV 550 could be in the same club, but I highly recommend spending a few dozen hours reading on the AF1 forum before buying so you can make an informed purchase.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 08:17:47 AM by SIR REAL ED »
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Online SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #67 on: November 26, 2021, 08:00:02 AM »
I approve this message.  :boozing:

Bulldog beat me to it.

As they say "It takes one to know one!" 

thankfully, I know plenty of them!   :wink:
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Online SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #68 on: November 26, 2021, 08:03:51 AM »
Hi Kev.  First thing you gotta ask yourself is, how fast you need to go. If you can be satisfied at 60 , 65 mph, you can get an XT250, and get a super almost unstoppable trail bike you can tow to the hills and still have a ball. Or get a RE Meteor 350, and get great mpg and comfort, even two up.. Either can be had brand new for about  5500 bucks. Too early to tell about the Enfield, but the XT has super resale value if you decide to get a bigger sled later. Watch YouTube channel Ok Man Robin for insight about the RE.

some where on this forum, there is a guy named Shorty who owns a Suzuki DR 650.  I think that answers the OP question quite well.  Set the rear shock lower bolt in the lower hole.  Slide the forks up in the triple clamp 1.5".  Bolt on the shorter side stand.

Works great for my 30" inseam.

As Bad Chad and MMRanch have pointed out, the Suzuki Savage/Boulevard S40 is an extremely underrated motorcycle.  Often available amazingly cheaply used with low miles.  I'm assuming because a lot of riders have never tried one out.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 08:09:08 AM by SIR REAL ED »

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #69 on: November 26, 2021, 03:06:45 PM »
some where on this forum, there is a guy named Shorty who owns a Suzuki DR 650.  I think that answers the OP question quite well.  Set the rear shock lower bolt in the lower hole.  Slide the forks up in the triple clamp 1.5".  Bolt on the shorter side stand.

Works great for my 30" inseam.

As Bad Chad and MMRanch have pointed out, the Suzuki Savage/Boulevard S40 is an extremely underrated motorcycle.  Often available amazingly cheaply used with low miles.  I'm assuming because a lot of riders have never tried one out.

Yes I have a DR650. The bike is still too tall set at the lowest factory settings with my 30 inch inseam. I have a set of Soupy's lowering links for it.I will still need to shorten the short factory kickstand to make it all work . Might also need a custom shock built as well. Kev mentioned  a 30 inch leg so I didn't mention the DR. Great bike, however.  :wink:
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Online SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #70 on: November 26, 2021, 03:35:52 PM »
Yes I have a DR650. The bike is still too tall set at the lowest factory settings with my 30 inch inseam. I have a set of Soupy's lowering links for it.I will still need to shorten the short factory kickstand to make it all work . Might also need a custom shock built as well. Kev mentioned  a 30 inch leg so I didn't mention the DR. Great bike, however.  :wink:

Very true.  I also have a set of DR 650 forks with 2 sets of the OEM spacers used to shorten the forks (3" shorter than stock longer fork), and a set of adjustable rear suspension links that lower the rear 3" with the shock bolt in the lower setting.  I've had them on the bike in the past, and will probably install both again at some time.

Since the DR suspension is soft, the compression with me aboard, allows me to touch both feet on the ground at the same time.  A bit shorter would be even more confidence inspiring for those who so desire.

Most of the smaller sub 400cc bikes, KTM 390, Ninja 400, etc. don't weigh much less than the DR 650 or KTM 690, or are even 20 lbs heavier.  The 600cc + bikes put out about twice the torque of the sub 400cc bikes!  The DRZ 400 and the DR 650 put out the same max HP, but one ride on both leaves one thinking the DRZ 400 is anemic.

Kballow should try out a DR 650.  He just might find it to be worth the mods.

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #71 on: November 26, 2021, 08:46:15 PM »
I've owned a couple of the MG V7.  Light bike and handles well, but the seat is a bit high for me.  Normally not an issue.

One that I've been looking at is a Versys 300 - or maybe a KLX300. Both are a bit tall, but easily lowered.

The Versys is a bit more pavement worthy, and rider friendly, plus has a decent seat.
 :boozing:

« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 09:17:17 PM by kballowe »

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #72 on: November 26, 2021, 10:14:11 PM »
When I reached 80 (years, not pounds) in 2016, I sold both my Stone Touring models as I knew I was beyond my ability to manage them safely, given I was 134#.  My DR-650 had the lowering modifications and a Sargent's low seat and was manageable, but I did not like the feel of the engine.  Not at all like my British big singles of 50 years prior.  I replaced the DR with a new 2017 Honda CB-500 which had a 31" seat height and a wet weight of 414#.  It is very well made, very thrifty on fuel (never below 70 mpg) but was horribly uncomfortable and still a bit tall for my 31" inseam.  I decided to do what was necessary to make it a really adequate bike for what I (crossing my fingers) refer to as "the long haul".  I had Wilbers in Germany make a shock set up to my meagre weight.  A pair of "Vector" lowering links dropped the seat to just under 30" and when I perch on the Russell seat (best in the business; worth every penny) the seat drops another 1/2".  2" taller bars, a 2T larger countershaft sprocket and I have a "keeper".  I have absolute comfort and confidence on the Honda.

I did succumb to a new '21 Royal Enfield "Interceptor 650" with 20mm shorter shocks and it's still a bit taller than I like.  I dropped 30# from its OEM wet weight of about 472 so it's just over 440# wet, now.  It also has a Russell seat.  What it and the Honda did not have and will never have is the Guzzi charisma and provenance and, yes, Luap's wonderful WGC  forum.

I got adventurous Last Spring and bought the ex-John Hemenway 2004 Breva 750  and I admit I'm a bit wary of it for its greater weight than the Enfield, lower and more narrow bars.  But, so far, I have not had a "happening" with it.  I'm fine as long as I'm moving over 5 mph on it, but at traffic stops I admit to being a bit anxious, afraid I'll drop it.  But, I'm still a Guzzisti and figure I have another year or two of ability to ride the Breva 750. Maybe another year beyond that on the Enfield.

The Honda CB-500 as modified likely will be my last ride, but if I'm still physically fit (or around at all) I can see going to a small scooter.

You may have to change the playing field a bit, but if you're still on two wheels, live with it and enjoy it.
Ralph
"You don't stop riding because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding".

2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
2017 Honda CB-500F
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #73 on: November 27, 2021, 12:05:45 AM »
How about a Kawasaki Vulcan 650, you won't find much smaller than that.
Suzuki Savage, Boulevard, S40 or whatever they call it nowadays a 650 thumper that's been around since 1984
I think its currently called the Suzuki Boulevard S40
« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 12:11:00 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline 9fingers

• Gosling
« Reply #74 on: November 27, 2021, 06:17:34 AM »
From an old, busted up Construction Worker with many decades in the trades I've found the bike I all to often go to is my.

Very cool!
Scott
Current bikes:
V7 III Special - Sophia
Royal Enfield Classic Chrome 500 Bullet - Guinevere
Suzuki V Strom 650 - Rita
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL250 custom
Honda TL125
Yamaha TY350

Offline 9fingers

• Gosling
« Reply #75 on: November 27, 2021, 06:25:22 AM »
When I reached 80 (years, not pounds) in 2016, I sold both my Stone Touring models as I knew I was beyond my ability to manage them safely, given I was 134#.  My DR-650 had the lowering modifications and a Sargent's low seat and was manageable, but I did not like the feel of the engine.  Not at all like my British big singles of 50 years prior.  I replaced the DR with a new 2017 Honda CB-500 which had a 31" seat height and a wet weight of 414#.  It is very well made, very thrifty on fuel (never below 70 mpg) but was horribly uncomfortable and still a bit tall for my 31" inseam.  I decided to do what was necessary to make it a really adequate bike for what I (crossing my fingers) refer to as "the long haul".  I had Wilbers in Germany make a shock set up to my meagre weight.  A pair of "Vector" lowering links dropped the seat to just under 30" and when I perch on the Russell seat (best in the business; worth every penny) the seat drops another 1/2".  2" taller bars, a 2T larger countershaft sprocket and I have a "keeper".  I have absolute comfort and confidence on the Honda.

I did succumb to a new '21 Royal Enfield "Interceptor 650" with 20mm shorter shocks and it's still a bit taller than I like.  I dropped 30# from its OEM wet weight of about 472 so it's just over 440# wet, now.  It also has a Russell seat.  What it and the Honda did not have and will never have is the Guzzi charisma and provenance and, yes, Luap's wonderful WGC  forum.

I got adventurous Last Spring and bought the ex-John Hemenway 2004 Breva 750  and I admit I'm a bit wary of it for its greater weight than the Enfield, lower and more narrow bars.  But, so far, I have not had a "happening" with it.  I'm fine as long as I'm moving over 5 mph on it, but at traffic stops I admit to being a bit anxious, afraid I'll drop it.  But, I'm still a Guzzisti and figure I have another year or two of ability to ride the Breva 750. Maybe another year beyond that on the Enfield.

The Honda CB-500 as modified likely will be my last ride, but if I'm still physically fit (or around at all) I can see going to a small scooter.

You may have to change the playing field a bit, but if you're still on two wheels, live with it and enjoy it.

Well this is an inspiration to me. At 64 and relatively new to riding roads instead of trials, I have been wondering how long I have to enjoy this new thrill. I figure I am good till 70 but then who knows? And you are 80 and 134# and still at it! I am too close to 215 and my wife is after me to lose 15#....not so easy these days. The only one I have that is a concern is the V Strom 650 XT, big, top heavy and just heavy bike. Not nearly as much fun as my V7....or My Enfield 500....but superb at the 5 day mostly backroads and dirt road trips I have been doing. But I worry about dropping it off road and that worry is not going away as I get older. Regarding the OPs question about which smaller, lighter, lower bike.........I still think the Enfield Meteor 350 would be perfect, though I am not at all into the cruiser look or seating position. The bike is supposedly super comfortable, has a low seat, is not too heavy and is easy to ride and maneuver. And again, what is it, around $4,500 new? JMO
Scott
Current bikes:
V7 III Special - Sophia
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL250 custom
Honda TL125
Yamaha TY350

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #76 on: November 27, 2021, 08:19:03 AM »

You Sir, are definitely THE MAN!!!
And what an inspiration to riders of all ages. 👍
« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 08:20:26 AM by Ncdan »

Online SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #77 on: November 27, 2021, 09:29:47 AM »

Good to hear you can "Keep on Trucking!"  You inspire us all.

My riding buddy who is your age always has lots of wisdom to dispense.

One of the memorable pearls is "at my age, you don't buy any green bananas!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Online SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #78 on: November 27, 2021, 09:34:46 AM »
How about a Kawasaki Vulcan 650, you won't find much smaller than that.
Suzuki Savage, Boulevard, S40 or whatever they call it nowadays a 650 thumper that's been around since 1984
I think its currently called the Suzuki Boulevard S40

a few years back, I bought a Savage (known as a Boulevard S40 over here for a few years now) for my wife.  One of the things I remember about the bike was any time I went to move it around physically, I'd reach for the handlebars, only to find my hands were several inches above the grips.  Very small bike.  Almost bicycle like or toy like.  That may turn some people off.

IIRC, the Savage is about 20 lbs heavier than the DR 650.  Due to the small size it feels like about 50 pounds lighter, eve just pushing it around.

I was always a bit surprised that the Savage did not absolutely destroy all the 250-400cc "chopper style" beginner bikes in sales.  Styling maybe?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 09:39:58 AM by SIR REAL ED »

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #79 on: December 01, 2021, 12:50:25 PM »

I've always wanted to take a Savage and add a Ryca kit.

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline 9fingers

• Gosling
« Reply #80 on: December 01, 2021, 01:32:40 PM »
I've always wanted to take a Savage and add a Ryca kit.

That is a good looking bike! but the seat looks good for maybe 20 minutes.
Scott
Current bikes:
V7 III Special - Sophia
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL250 custom
Honda TL125
Yamaha TY350

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #81 on: December 03, 2021, 06:16:38 PM »
If you're thinking about the Versys 300, why not checkout the Z400 while you're there.
More torque, and likely a lower seat then the Versys.

I've owned a couple of the MG V7.  Light bike and handles well, but the seat is a bit high for me.  Normally not an issue.

One that I've been looking at is a Versys 300 - or maybe a KLX300. Both are a bit tall, but easily lowered.

The Versys is a bit more pavement worthy, and rider friendly, plus has a decent seat.
 :boozing:

2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline dlapierre

• Gosling
    • Habitat Farm
« Reply #82 on: December 03, 2021, 07:28:48 PM »
My 2-bits worth. I have a Himalayan and an old Yamaha 225 Sero. I've had a TW200. My son has a dr650 and is a good rider.

I'm 74 years old. 6'1"

I ride the Himalayan mostly on forest service roads here in British Columbia. It is perfect for that. The bottom end grunt and the fit and balance of the machine lets me putt through deep ruts made by logging trucks, muddy tracks, and across rocky surfaces just fine. It doesn't feel heavy at all.

I can do as well as my son on his DR650, even better when having to go slow to get through things.

His is better for winding secondary pave roads simply because his has more power. But, I'm not far behind. Neither are highway bikes.

The Sero I use on the farm. If Yamaha ever made a updated version of that bike, I'd buy one. It is so light.

I didn't like the TW200 at all. Suspension was hard. The fat tires provided no traction whatsoever on wet ground. It was gutless.

Maintenance on the Himalayan, just like the Sero, is dead simple. I've been thinking about upgrading the Himalayan with a kit to make it a 477cc, just for fun.

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #83 on: December 17, 2021, 09:19:19 PM »
I found a most excellent motorcycle that is much lighter and that I can actually swing my leg over.

2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT with 12,xxx miles - new Metzlers, complete service including coolant and brake fluid, more.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 09:21:32 PM by kballowe »

Offline greer

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #84 on: December 18, 2021, 04:29:00 AM »
Bravo!!  Nice color, too.  Excellent therapy in swinging a leg over and pulling the bike off the stand.  Way to go, Kevin.

Sarah

Sarah '21 V7 Special, '17 XT250, '17 V9 Roamer sold August 2021, '16 V7 II Stone sold September 2021, '08 Nevada Classic sold August 2020 
Doug '21 V85TT, '05 Sportster Roadster, '13 XT250

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here