Author Topic: New guzzi  (Read 1546 times)

Offline Apricorns

• New Egg
New guzzi
« on: March 07, 2024, 04:48:48 PM »
Just joined the group, and wanted to show off my new steed.
I've been daydreaming about the V7 for a couple years and finally pulled the trigger and picked up this 2013 classic.
Coming from only Japanese dual sports before, it's gonna take some time to get used to a big bike, and especially one with this much character.

I plan on giving it a service tomorrow (oil, filter, spark plugs, valve clearance, transmission and final drive gear oil, adjust clutch cable, take pictures and grin)

Offline blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
Re: New guzzi
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2024, 04:55:06 PM »
Welcome to the asylum.  You can learn a lot, meet some interesting characters and hear some good stories. 
Blue Guzz

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2024, 05:03:18 PM »
Congrats and welcome aboard. I hope you enjoy the new goose. A little tip , when removing the spark plugs be very gentle on pulling the plug caps . The factory plug caps are fragile and can be broken internally with removal.  The result can be arcing to ground in the plug tunnel and causing miss firing and all sorts of mayhem.  Some leave a loop of strong string or a wire tie wrapped around the base of the plug caps for a pull tool.  :thumb:

Offline Matteo

• Alaska Guzzi's on Facebook
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Make me an offer I can't refuse!
    • https://squareup.com/store/doubleshovelciderco
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2024, 06:13:33 PM »
Congrats! They are fun. Like that you call it a big bike. A lot of us have been downsizing to them.
Cheers
Matt
66 Stornello Scrambler,77 Lemans,80 CX100,16 V7II,21 V85TT Centenario
Gone to new homes: 84 LM3, 82 1000SP, 00 V11Sport, 84 V50III, 84V65, 00 Jackal, 07 Norge

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2024, 06:13:33 PM »

Online pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2024, 06:47:24 PM »
Where in Washington?  There is a pretty active Guzzi community up there.  Get yourself organized for the Guzzi National Rally at the end of June in nearby John Day, Oregon.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2024, 08:57:18 PM »
You have some good advise on the spark plug caps. You can also take a strap or zip tie and wrap it around the vertical part of the boot.

Looks like a nice ride! Already set up for some touring :thumb:

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2024, 09:03:59 PM »
A white 2013 V7 Stone! Nice.

I have one myself, that I ordered from the factory and was delivered to me by Eraldo Ferracci!

Enjoy! I still do!
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2024, 09:45:28 AM »
A word of caution. Guzzi tech specs tend to lie. The oil change with filter will be about 1.6 quartz not 2 check it after a short ride, level on the tires do not chase the full mark!!! Go 1/2 way in the hash marks. The rear end is 5.4 ounces. Any more and you will blow a seal.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2024, 01:40:44 PM »
Welcome to the Guzzi family! WARNING- you can't have just one  :laugh:
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Apricorns

• New Egg
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2024, 03:59:39 PM »
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

pehayes, I'm in SW washington. I'll look into the Guzzi events, that's cool to have nearby.

I'm running into an issue with shop manuals. I checked my VIN and the bike is a 2013 V7 Classic, but when I look up manuals they have slightly differing valve clearance specs. A V7 classic shop manual I found has 0.004 and 0.006, but no valve adjustment procedure . Then a V7 II manual I found that does have a procedure and pictures showing what looks just like my engine cover says the clearances are 0.006 and 0.008. However, my understanding is that the V7 II is a 2014 and on designation. Any tips on navigating this?

Online bobrebos1

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2024, 04:50:29 PM »
Welcome.  Nice bike!!
Tennessee/Georgia areas Moto Guzzi Enthusiasts -Traveling lunch meetups (on Facebook)

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2024, 04:58:09 PM »

pehayes, I'm in SW washington. I'll look into the Guzzi events, that's cool to have nearby.

I'm running into an issue with shop manuals. I checked my VIN and the bike is a 2013 V7 Classic, but when I look up manuals they have slightly differing valve clearance specs. A V7 classic shop manual I found has 0.004 and 0.006, but no valve adjustment procedure . Then a V7 II manual I found that does have a procedure and pictures showing what looks just like my engine cover says the clearances are 0.006 and 0.008. However, my understanding is that the V7 II is a 2014 and on designation. Any tips on navigating this?

Use 6 & 8 for the Herron heads.
L-196, L-197

Offline Apricorns

• New Egg
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2024, 08:21:32 PM »

Use 6 & 8 for the Herron heads.

Hell yeah

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2024, 08:32:19 PM »
It should sound like there's a handful of change rattling around loose under the valve cover - the arguments here are mostly about which coins it should sound like.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2024, 08:50:57 PM »
Congratulations and welcome to a great forum. Good looking bike.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2024, 09:15:54 PM »

Pssssst.

It's NOT a V7 Classic, they ended in 2012 in North America. They had dual throttle bodies and a fast idle lever on the handlebar.

It's a V7 Stone, the first year of the single throttle body motor that doesn't have the mechanical fast idle linkage.

Look for the Stone/Special/Racer Literature.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Apricorns

• New Egg
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2024, 09:00:27 PM »
Pssssst.

It's NOT a V7 Classic, they ended in 2012 in North America. They had dual throttle bodies and a fast idle lever on the handlebar.

It's a V7 Stone, the first year of the single throttle body motor that doesn't have the mechanical fast idle linkage.

Look for the Stone/Special/Racer Literature.

This explained a lot.
I managed to dig up a good amount of documentation with this info, and pulled off a full service.
I could tell it was well maintained throughout, but when I got the the valves they were so much tighter than spec I was confused for a good hour trying to find out if these engines wear in towards tighter clearances on the valve. No answers, so I assumed it was just done a bit wrong last time and set the valves to .006 intake and .008 exhaust on compression TDC.  It runs fine so I think I did it well enough.
I wonder if the tight valve clearance explained my black spark plugs.

I couldn't find torque specs for the adjustment but, so just put it in a bit past snugg. Which seems to be the consensus online.

It's interesting going from a KLR650 where every single thing you could think of has a YouTube video to this, where the documentation doesn't hold your hand much and there just is not much for video guides. The challenge is both fun and a bit anxiety inducing lol

Offline Apricorns

• New Egg
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2024, 09:04:49 PM »

When I say tight, I mean TIGHT tolerance from whoever did this last.

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2024, 09:36:40 PM »
Welcome to the group.   You have the exact same bike as mine, a white 2013 Stone. 

I loved my dearly, and racked up just over 150,000 miles on mine before I had a little “incident” and broke my ankle. 

Wonderfully fun bikes.  I think the white Stone is one of the prettiest motorcycles ever made. 

You have good taste!  Enjoy. 
« Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 09:37:32 PM by SmithSwede »
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Offline Apricorns

• New Egg
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2024, 10:53:12 PM »
Welcome to the group.   You have the exact same bike as mine, a white 2013 Stone. 

I loved my dearly, and racked up just over 150,000 miles on mine before I had a little “incident” and broke my ankle. 

Wonderfully fun bikes.  I think the white Stone is one of the prettiest motorcycles ever made. 

You have good taste!  Enjoy.

The V7 id a beautiful bike. Imo the best looking bike make this millennium thus far.

Hope you're alright, and still riding.

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2024, 11:43:46 PM »
Check out the local clubs.   :thumb:  The Oregon club would probably be closer in Portland.

OREGON BREAKFAST
The Oregon MGNOC meets 3rd Saturday of every month for breakfast at 9:30 A.M at Elmer's, 10001 NE Sandy Blvd, Portland, Oregon 97220. 503-256-2150 November to April, 2014. May to October we have a roving location, so it can change each month. The locations are posted on our website or contact Oregon MGNOC State Rep Jacob Heilman at 971-219-1872. View www.orguzzi.org and www.mgnoc.com/club_meetings_and_rides.html.

WASHINGTON STATE MGNOC (SEATTLE) BRUNCH
3rd Sunday every month at 10:30 A.M. at Smarty Pants, 6017 Airport Way S Seattle. 206-762-4777 (ask for Tim). www.smartypantsseat tle.com. For additional information please contact Richard Guthrie at 206-246-3181.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2024, 02:25:27 AM »

When I say tight, I mean TIGHT tolerance from whoever did this last.

VERY nice image ... Welcome to the family.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2024, 02:27:13 AM by normzone »
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline jackthebiker

• New Egg
  • 46 motorcycles so far
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2024, 05:28:21 AM »
This is my 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone. I bought it in 2015 from a guy who thought he wanted to be a biker. (a doctor) He bought it new in Chicago and had it set up like this. Special paint, (it was white too) rack/bags, wire wheels with 80/20 tires, and a fly screen. I sold it a few years ago but enjoyed owning it. Enjoy yours.

Currently riding a 2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Adventure  and a 2022 Kawasaki W800.

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2024, 07:08:14 AM »
This explained a lot.
I managed to dig up a good amount of documentation with this info, and pulled off a full service.
I could tell it was well maintained throughout, but when I got the the valves they were so much tighter than spec I was confused for a good hour trying to find out if these engines wear in towards tighter clearances on the valve. No answers, so I assumed it was just done a bit wrong last time and set the valves to .006 intake and .008 exhaust on compression TDC.  It runs fine so I think I did it well enough.
I wonder if the tight valve clearance explained my black spark plugs.

I couldn't find torque specs for the adjustment but, so just put it in a bit past snugg. Which seems to be the consensus online.

It's interesting going from a KLR650 where every single thing you could think of has a YouTube video to this, where the documentation doesn't hold your hand much and there just is not much for video guides. The challenge is both fun and a bit anxiety inducing lol

Some thoughts:

* There have been times over the years where the US valve specs were different from the EU - don't know why for certain. Speculation was differences in noise or emission regulations or just plain "ooops we put what on the sticker". A lifetime Guzzi tech who used to post here told me to ignore the sticker or book that said 0.15mm/0.006" & 0.20mm/0.008" (6&8) and instead go with the longtime world spec of 4&6 (0.10mm/0.004" & 0.15mm). That's what I've done and continue to do on this bike the decade I've owned it (and other Guzzis I've owned/own).

* I've never paid much attention to a trend looking to see if my valves on my Guzzis have tightened or loosened over time. Mostly they don't change much (if at all) and half the time I wonder if I'm tweaking the setting because I'm a Neanderthal without fine motor skills and I'm just jumping one side of the spec to the other or if something actually changed. I believe the popular theory around here is that the valves on these bikes get a little looser at temp than when cold which always sounded weird to me, but if that's the case setting them a little snugger than "US spec" would likely do no harm. And a long time buddy's mantra taught me decades ago serves me well - "A tappy valve, is a happy valve" and I certainly hear a gentle tap tap tap at idle and normal op temp.

* A literal lifetime career in the technical repair literature industry has taught me one thing that goes double for Guzzi - don't believe everything you read, but don't stress about it either.

* When in doubt - use your phone a friend lifeline option and ask questions here. But see previous point - don't believe everything that you read, but...

Have fun.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2024, 10:19:08 AM »
What Kev said.
Somebody set them to 4 & 6. They will loosen not tighten. I also doubt it makes a bit of difference. Also, once over 15,000 miles they really don't change.
Just ride and enjoy.
L-196, L-197

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2024, 10:35:17 PM »

Don’t know if you discovered Greg Bender’s site, but he has shop tech training videos uploaded that show something’s that might be valuable to you. They were quite helpful when I rebuilt my V7 II motor twin autumns ago:

https://www.thisoldtractor.com/moto_guzzi.html
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Offline fossil

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2024, 01:54:01 AM »
Very nice! Looks nearly exactly like the V7 Stone I bought new on 15 March 2013 (yes, yesterday that was 11 years ago). I still love that bike and ride it regularly. Buying a second bike sometimes gets into my thoughts; swapping it against something different is alien to me.
Greetings from Germany!
Thorsten

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2024, 07:50:50 AM »
This is my 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone. I bought it in 2015 from a guy who thought he wanted to be a biker. (a doctor) He bought it new in Chicago and had it set up like this. Special paint, (it was white too) rack/bags, wire wheels with 80/20 tires, and a fly screen. I sold it a few years ago but enjoyed owning it. Enjoy yours.

Love buying bikes from MDs.  LOL!  The last one I bought from a doctor had almost as much $$ in modifications as the bike cost new. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here