Author Topic: 2004 Breva 750 resurrection  (Read 845 times)

Offline grasscutter

• New Egg
2004 Breva 750 resurrection
« on: February 17, 2022, 07:39:29 AM »
Hello to all

A new to me 2004 Breva 750, 31k

Picked it up cheap, or at least what I think is cheap for my area.

Came with Guzzi shop manual, a box of oil filters, gaskets, o-rings, and misc OEM Guzzi parts, full Hepco 3 bag keyed touring kit, bike stand.

Already has the oil sump extension.
Thumbing through the shop manual, I see one of the PO‘s has highlighted numerous items such as: fork oil amount, torque specs for drain plugs, valve clearances. So it looks to me like a previous owner somewhere in its history has done some maintenance. Fingers crossed…

I bought the bike on a gamble, and have yet to hear it run.
Got it home yesterday, battery is on charge.

I have read some posts on some mods done to the starting circuit for better voltage.

Seems pretty straightforward, except I see some really interesting wiring on this bike. I’ll see if I can post a pic and you all let me know what this setup is all about!

First pic is as found, and then the other two pics I tried to show some “custom” wiring…

« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 07:48:15 AM by grasscutter »

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
Re: 2004 Breva 750 resurrection
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2022, 10:10:58 PM »
If non-ethanol 90 octane gas is available, use that as the plastic fuel tank will expand/deform with ethanol gas.  There is an internet listing by Pure Gas re all the gas stations in the US and Canada which sell non-ethanol gas.  My '04 Breva 750 has been fed non-ethanol gas since new, per reports of former owners.

Your Breva already has some very nice upgrades.  Sounds like a good buy!

Ralph
Ralph
"You don't stop riding because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding".

2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
2017 Honda CB-500F
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Offline grasscutter

• New Egg
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2022, 09:32:38 AM »
Looks like this is not a very active forum, but then again it is winter for many states!

Yes, am a 50+ yr rider, non-ethanol use is old hat.

Got it running.
Found a connector had come out of the starter relay. It wasn't fully out, so didn't notice it visually, but when doing electrical tests the relay had voltage in and out, but nothing at the starter.  Pulled relay out of the harness and noticed one connector seemed loose.  Pushed it more fully in and then rechecked voltages.  All was good! Nice to have an easy diagnosis.
And after looking at the 'custom' wiring, it seems a PO installed some relays. Will look into it all in more detail another time.

Got oil changed. OEM Guzzi filter.  Added extra 1 qt for the deep sump.
Gearbox & rear drive changed.   Used 100% full synthetic motorcycle oils all around.
Aired up the tires and took it for a maiden 10 mile voyage.

Runs great, pulls great, no gearbox whine that I can hear.

When I got back I started making notes on next to-do tasks: Flush brake system, new tires, and thats when I noticed an odd cupping on the sides of rear tire.  Not down the center, only on the sides. Assuming worn shocks- but they checked out ok.  Checked swingarm play next and WOW.... there is some serious movement.

Notes in the shop manual from a PO show that they replaced swingarm bearings sometime during its 31K mileage, but maybe they installed them incorrectly, didn't get races fully seated, low quality bearings.... I don't know. Will definitely need investigated.  Took it for a second more spirited ride and now can definitely feel the pulsing when going around corners.

More to come....

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2022, 10:26:47 AM »
The PO might have forgotten to install the washer on the right side of the swingarm or perhaps just didn't tighten the pivot pins sufficiently.
Charlie

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2022, 10:26:47 AM »

Offline grasscutter

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2022, 07:40:16 PM »
Anyone have a write up about swingarm removal? or swingarm bearing service?
Shop manual I have is not very detailed.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here