Author Topic: Balanced Throttle Bodies?  (Read 3790 times)

Offline willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
Balanced Throttle Bodies?
« on: October 17, 2015, 10:23:30 PM »
In early June this year, my 1200 Sport needed a major service at 11,000 miles.  A local master mechanic who has worked on Guzzis for many years performed the service.

He called me when it was completed. He wasn't home when I picked it up (mistake) but he had told me the throttle bodies were out of balance and that it should be running better. He made a drawing on my service statement how the bubbles were misaligned on his device.

Upon leaving his driveway, I wasn't out of second gear before I realized "this bike is running rough!" I couldn't go back because he wasn't home. It was a long 70 minute ride home with the 1200 Sport vibrating more than normal and with a worse throttle response. My thinking was "Something's out of balance... probably the throttle bodies."

I called him the next day and took it back a few days later  He attached the throttle body device and showed me the bubbles were dead even.  I said "I see that but it running terrible!" I'm not a mechanic but the problem solver in me said "Here's the drawing of where the bubbles were before you adjusted it.  Adjust them so the bubbles are in this same (misaligned) position" He adjusted them like his drawing showed.  Immediately the idle sounded smoother. When I took it for a test ride, I wasn't out of FIRST gear and the engine felt smooth like it was before.  "First time I've ever seen the factory settings wrong", he said.

My bike was back to running smooth again with great throttle response. I had a fantastic and smooth ride to the NH rally.  I now have 14,000 miles on the bike (got it in 11/13 with 3,8000 miles) and the engine fantastic and it continues to smooth out as the miles add up.

Has anyone ever had this happen to them where the throttle bodies appear out of balance on the gauge but are in actually in sync?
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Offline Madtownguzzi

• Gosling
Re: Balanced Throttle Bodies?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 10:38:28 PM »
I wonder if your mechanics throttle sync balance gauge needs to be recalibrated? Find someone else with a gauge and compare readings.
Randy S.
98 V11 EV
05 HD Electra Glide Classic
Madison, WI

Offline willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 10:43:39 PM »
Good point. I'll do that and inform him if his was wrong. Thanks
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 10:56:17 PM »
Yes, but not without something like a vacuum leak causing the imbalance.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 10:56:17 PM »

Offline Bisbonian

• Gaggle Hero
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 12:23:34 AM »
Did he reset the TPS after balancing?

Vasco DG

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 12:38:44 AM »
Did he reset the TPS after balancing?

This.

Online Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 08:17:53 AM »
There are (sort of) two balances. You need to balance at high speed, and then balance at idle. Did he do both?
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2015, 08:28:22 AM »
Another "Master Mechanic" who doesn't do something as basic as TEST RIDE IT to verify the work he's just performed?  :rolleyes:
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2015, 12:56:03 PM »
I would say it best to learn  do the basic tuning and valve adjustments yourself. It really isn't that difficult thank's to Pete and others who know and are willing to provide guidance. A little research on this forum and you will be off to the races with a much better understanding of the nuances of the 8v motor. A lot of well meaning mechanics out there that will assume it is just another FI twin and no harm can be had by f***ing with this or that. Not the case with the 8v as you just learned. A couple of cheap cables,guzzi diag, and a balancing tool, a feeler gauge and a metric wrench and allen set and your in business. The rest is all right here. I know not everyone is interested in all this, but at least learn the basic tuning premise so you know what should be done if you choose to have someone else do the work. There is nothing sweeter than a properly set up 8v that I have discovered in an air cooled twin. Thank you to Pete and Mark for making it all possible for all of us want to be's. :thumb:    Dave

Offline dl.allen

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2015, 01:03:57 PM »
You need to calibrate the tubes every time then balance the bike
I have played with the motion pro balancer and it can be off just sitting for a while

redrider

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2015, 01:52:32 PM »
I use and prefer the vacuum gauge set. I use the ones from JC Whitney and set the balance at 3000 rpm on the V11. Not exactly the same engine but similar characteristics. Very helpful to have some type of valve to dampen the needle movement. Metal, not plastic, aquarium air supply valves work well.

Vasco DG

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2015, 04:06:59 PM »
I use and prefer the vacuum gauge set. I use the ones from JC Whitney and set the balance at 3000 rpm on the V11. Not exactly the same engine but similar characteristics. Very helpful to have some type of valve to dampen the needle movement. Metal, not plastic, aquarium air supply valves work well.

And herein lies a lot of the problem. The set-up of Guzzis with the W5AM controller, (With the exception of the Bellagio which is slightly different.) is NOTHING like the set up of a 15M or 15MRC machine.

The TPS setting is an interpretive value. Because the adjustment for throttle body high-speed balance is on the left hand throttle body but the TPS is on the right hand side when you perform the high speed balance you alter the position of the TPS so it's value changes. After the high speed balance has been performed you must re-calibrate the TPS otherwise it's signal value will be incorrect.

The W5AM bikes do not have an air flow sensor. The ability of the ECU to deliver the correct amount of fuel is dependent on correct set up because the only way the ECU knows how much air is passing through the TB's is by *Knowing* how much goes through at any given TPS setting. This is why the TB's are set up on a flow bench by MM and why you should NEVER mess with the throttle stop screws.

YOU CANNOT TUNE A W5AM WITHOUT SOME FORM OF INTERFACE TO RECALIBRATE THE TPS AND CLEAR THE TRIMS.

Pete

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here