Author Topic: Oxford Heated Grips: My installation and product review  (Read 5778 times)

Online willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
Oxford Heated Grips: My installation and product review
« on: January 01, 2016, 05:26:20 PM »
First off, THANKS TO EVERYONE who replied when I recently posted questions on:

Which heated grips/ installing them?
How to take off the gas tank and disconnecting the *** elbow connection?
How to remove stock hand grips?
12 Volt outlets?

I LOVE to ride as much as possible. So extending my riding season on my 1200 Sport has been helped with the V-twin cylinders pumping out some nice heat on my legs while the gas tank & wings give good wind protection to my knees & shins. Stelvio hand guards, Laminar lip, and heated vest all add up to being able to "comfortably" enjoy riding down into the 40's.

After your help and careful thought, I asked for and received Oxford Heated Grips for Christmas. So here is my review...

Ordered them online from Revzella - excellent service, came in one day.

Once opened, I realized the "Touring" grips surface seemed hard to the touch and a bit short in length. After some online evaluation, I called Revzilla, explained my situation and I ordered the "Sport" grips which have a slightly softer feel with more of a textured grip surface as well as being slightly longer in length. I also arranged a "free" return ship back of the "Touring" grips. The new ones came in 1 day and they paid the 6% state sales tax, again, on the $89.99 price!

I love the look of the 1200 Sport and that includes the handlebar/dash area. So my intent was to install both the Heated Grips and a 12V / USB outlet as a "clean / stock" appearance. I didn't want to look like Thor on a 5-year adventure around the globe with brackets and gadgets bolted everywhere.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS:
Oxford Heaterz are attractively packaged &  instructions well written.
5-levels of heat with up and down buttons.
Power goes on sleep mode after 2 minutes of inactivity and turns completely off after 5-minutes   of inactivity.

INSTALLATION STEPS  for Heated Grips & 12Volt/USB outlets (took about 8-hours,  never having done it before)

Siphoned out as much gas as possible to lighten the weight of the gas tank.

Took out 5-srews holding the front black grate.

Disconnect 3-gas lines & 1- electrical connection etc. This was the hardest part because of the elbow connection under the gas tank.

I primed and painted the mounting bracket satin black to go with handlebar hardware.

Figured out where to position the grips so the protruding wiring would not interfere with brake & clutch levers as well as the buttons for changing computer readouts and for flashing high beams.

Removed right Stelvio hand guard and small fairing.

Cut & filed down smooth the plastic throttle grip because it had protruding plastic.

Super glued grips into place (no need to wait the recommended 24 hrs., how about 1 minute!!!)

Fished BOTH wiring harnesses above the headlight and back past the steering and along the top frame to the battery. Wired both grips & 12V outlet directly to battery.

Both work! Put all stuff back together. Added gas back into tank and it started up

Went for a test ride after turning grips on 100% high. It was 45 degrees and after only a 4 minute ride, I stopped to wish a riding buddy neighbor Happy New Year. As soon as I shook his hand with my glove on, he commented, "Boy, your hands are warm!" Enough said.

FINAL REVIEW:

Grips start feeling heat in 15 seconds
5-heat settings, 30%, 40%, 50%, 75%, 100%
100% High settinggets HOT even with cold weather gloves. Lowest setting puts slight warmth.
All is first-rate including instructions. Installation looks stock.
Able to reach heat control buttons without taking left hand off of grip.
Grips are a little harder than stock but offer more texture/grip.
Shuts off after 2-minutes of inactivity.

12volt outlet is zip tied on left fairing bracket.

This product ranks a 10 on a 1-10 scale. Could not be happier with the price and the way it warms my hands! THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP! Here are a few pictures...

« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 05:29:10 PM by willowstreetguzziguy »
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
Re: Oxford Heated Grips: My installation and product review
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 06:15:09 PM »
Nice job!  Nothing like having warm hands.  There's so many cool mornings in late spring where they are really appreciated.

Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 07:36:07 PM »
 I always thought heated grips were Kinda foo foo..
Until I had some.  :smiley: Thanks for that. Needed them a few times on the Mighty Scura this trip. 30s and 40s when leaving the beach in the morning sux without em.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 08:20:25 PM »
I liked the Oxford grips too.  But, that's how I found out that I rarely wrap all my fingers around the grips. Went to elec gloves.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 08:20:25 PM »

jlburgess

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 10:22:39 AM »
Nice review!  I had a set installed on the Griso about a 2 years ago and they are holding up well.  I'd have to rate themas a 10 also.  I love the way they were able to mount the controller to the left grip area.

Offline dan_s

• Gosling
    • http://www.world-designs.co.uk/forum/member.php?u=128
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 01:51:45 PM »
Thanks for the review.
My .02
Installed the "oxford hotgrips premium touring heated grips" on a honda cb500f a few months ago. The interconnectors are low quality, the plastic outer doesnt hold the end bullets properly. There's a wire there straight from the battery +. The rolling bit of the throttle is not smooth on the honda and I had to file it to let the grip onto it. The right grip gets hotter than the left one.
All in all, does what it's supposed to do. Once I find the time I'll connect the power to a wire  after ths main switch, with all respect to the autoswitch in the controller. Hand guards will keep the hands warmer from the outside too.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 01:55:13 PM by dan_s »

Offline rss29

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2016, 06:22:53 PM »
The right grip gets hotter than the left one.

I think that's caused by the insulation provided by the throttle tube.

Offline dan_s

• Gosling
    • http://www.world-designs.co.uk/forum/member.php?u=128
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2016, 11:42:22 PM »
Makes sense

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2016, 09:18:42 AM »
At one time some people recommended wrapping the clutch side bar with tape or some such to help insulate that side a little.  I didn't bother since I figured the grips have a bit extra rubber on that side (but, maybe I am giving the mfg engineer too much credit :)  ).

When I had my grip heaters I never noticed a difference between sides.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Online willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2016, 01:14:27 PM »
In addition to my original post...I just went for a 40 minute ride in 46° temperatures. I kept the Oxford grips on The highest setting, wearing my winter gloves. I believe the Stelvio hand guards help tremendously in keeping your fingers warm. Your palms definitely get more heat, with the fingers getting about 70%. After getting home took off my gloves and pushed my motorcycle into the garage and in putting my bare hands on the heated grips, they were so hot, I could barely keep my hands on them!! I also really love the textured grip as compared to the original Guzy smoother grips. I probably wouldn't want to ride barehanded with them which I never do anyway.
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Offline Buckturgidson

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2019, 08:12:38 AM »
Nice review!  I had a set installed on the Griso about a 2 years ago and they are holding up well.  I'd have to rate themas a 10 also.  I love the way they were able to mount the controller to the left grip area.
Can you please tell me if you ordered Sport or Touring for the Griso?
Thanks.
"It's not your job to be as confused as Nigel." -Spinal Tap.
"Wagner's music is better than it sounds." -Mark Twain

'86 Yamaha SRX-6
'07 Norge, Rosina, the classy one

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here