Author Topic: Signing a waiver when someone test rides your motorcycle?  (Read 3415 times)

Online willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
Signing a waiver when someone test rides your motorcycle?
« on: May 25, 2016, 12:30:30 AM »
What are your thoughts when a stranger is interested in your motorcycle "for sale" and asks for a test ride? Do you have them sign a waiver that if they drop it or wreck it,  they've bought it or they are responsible for the repairs? Just asking, because I have my '93 BMW K75S up on Cycle Trader and I'm getting responses and someone is coming later today to look at it and possibly ride it.
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

oldbike54

Re: Signing a waiver when someone test rides your motorcycle?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 12:39:11 AM »
 Probably. hard to make it stick

Dusty

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 12:45:07 AM »
I get their keys for the vehicle they used to show up in and make a verbal agreement that if they break it they buy it.  Also verify they have a MC endorsement on their DL.  At the same time I size them up in conversation to see if I feel I can trust them on their riding skills.

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 03:48:18 AM »
If you are going to get a waiver, get a real one - not just something you draw up. There may be something available through those legal form outlets (some are online). A badly written waiver might end up being worse than no document at all.
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 03:48:18 AM »

Offline rbm

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 04:27:03 AM »
Have them provide you a cash deposit of your asking price up front, which you retain.  If they have an accident with the bike during the test ride, you keep the cash (they've essentially bought the bike).
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 04:27:36 AM by rbm »
- Robert

2011 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
1987 BMW K75 @k75retro.blogspot.ca

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 04:53:12 AM »
If they can't put the full asking amount of cash in my hand with the agreement if the bike comes back in any different condition from when it left they now own it at the full asking price. If this isn't acceptable they are more than welcome to follow me while I ride the motorcycle and they look and listen from their vehicle.

A signed waiver may ultimately get your cash but it will most likely also involve the legal system and lots of time.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline HDGoose

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 05:04:29 AM »
In the USA, one cannot waive rights before an incident occurs. Most waivers are worthless. Used to badger and intimidate later on.

An inspection is performed. Payment in full, then they ride. Refund if something was not stated and is found out during test ride. 

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 08:13:03 AM »
 Selling a a vehicle is always a risk and any serious buyer will want a test ride. I judge the character of the buyer and the test ride depends on this. When I look at a bike for sale I may ask to ride it if interested. If the seller refuses or asks me to pay in advance I will move on...

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 08:32:28 AM »
After an evaluation of him and possibly signing a waiver, I plan on riding my Guzzi with him on a planned route.
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2016, 08:51:39 AM »
Ok... some may find this over the top, however...

I do up a simple, clear agreement that (paraphrased) states:

1) that the test rider has given me the purchase price, IN FULL, in cash (signatures from myself and Test Rider)

2) That the Test Rider agrees that if the bike is returned with any damages, then the Test Rider has purchased the bike, for full asking price, and the "deposit" won't be returned. (signatures from myself and Test Rider)

3) I fill out all driver's license information on the same form, DL#, address, etc. (signatures from both parties)

All this is done in duplicate, and I get a picture taken of the two of us, holding the form.

Yup, I have done this, and yup, it's never failed me.
Sure, it might be over the top, and I am unsure if it would hold water, but I think it certainly weights heavily towards me, should something go down.

Old enough to say I've done it, young enough to do it again.

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2016, 09:11:32 AM »
When I bought the Ninja 250 last year, I looked it over and negotiated a price with the seller.  Then I handed him that amount of cash and said I'd need to test ride it before finalizing the deal, and he and I agreed that if I damaged the bike, he would keep the money and I would keep the bike.  If I came back with the bike undamaged but not  happy with it, I'd get the cash back and he'd get the undamaged bike back.  I don't know how it could be simpler or safer than that for both parties.  I did have my daughter with me  to be a witness to the agreement, and having a witness is probably a good idea.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

canuguzzi

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2016, 09:36:27 AM »
Insurance.

keithl

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2016, 09:44:48 AM »
What you want is the opposite of a waiver, you want them to sign a Letter of Liability and Responsibility.   But I would also want full payment in my hand before I let them ride.

What are your thoughts when a stranger is interested in your motorcycle "for sale" and asks for a test ride? Do you have them sign a waiver that if they drop it or wreck it,  they've bought it or they are responsible for the repairs? Just asking, because I have my '93 BMW K75S up on Cycle Trader and I'm getting responses and someone is coming later today to look at it and possibly ride it.

canuguzzi

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2016, 10:59:23 AM »
All the forms and purchase price cash isn't going to make a difference if the person wrecks the bike because they ran into something and claim a defect in the bike. The bike konks out, a turn signal bulb burnt out , a brake seized up.

Check to see if they have insurance. You ought to have it as well and then you're not relying on some questionable form and maybe an amount of money that doesn't begin to cover damages.

It probably seems like you're covered with some form and maybe cash in hand. Somehow it seems if there is an accident none of that is really going to matter.

Your due diligence would be to verify they are a licensed individual and have insurance. Maybe some of the lawyers here would know for sure.

Offline Spuddy

• Gaggle Hero
  • Best Thing About A Mind Is Being Able To Change It
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2016, 10:59:57 AM »
Payment in full, then they ride. Refund if something was not stated and is found out during test ride.

YES.

Spud
'13 Stelvio NTX
'07 California Vintage
'01 W650
'00 Quota 1100ES + Ural

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2016, 11:18:22 AM »
I get their keys for the vehicle they used to show up in and make a verbal agreement that if they break it they buy it.  Also verify they have a MC endorsement on their DL.  At the same time I size them up in conversation to see if I feel I can trust them on their riding skills.

When I sold my (crashed and revived) H2 back in the late seventies the guy left his truck and keys while he test rode.

He came back a half hour later, pronounced the bike unsafe and suggested I not let anybody else ride it.

The guy who bought it later was thrilled with it... :laugh:
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

oldbike54

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2016, 11:35:05 AM »
When I sold my (crashed and revived) H2 back in the late seventies the guy left his truck and keys while he test rode.

He came back a half hour later, pronounced the bike unsafe and suggested I not let anybody else ride it.

The guy who bought it later was thrilled with it... :laugh:

The first guy may have been correct  :laugh: "But officer , I didn't mean to do a wheelie" :shocked:

Dusty

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2016, 12:19:45 PM »

I guess that's a good way to get a motorcycle ride once in a while, without actually having to buy one.   :laugh:
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2016, 12:30:08 PM »
Good grief. no wonder why I just traded the old bike in.  :thewife:

oldbike54

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2016, 12:37:48 PM »
 Asked the Texas Turnip farmer what he thought about all of this . So far all I'm getting is a blank stare , he seems to be confused by the concept of selling a motorcycle  :huh: :laugh: :laugh:

Dusty

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2016, 02:15:16 PM »
Here's something none of you have mentioned.......... ..if you're selling a Guzzi,  you're going to be so happy anyone actually comes to look at it you will bend your demands to sell it.  And by the way, those of you who say you would not let me as a buyer road test your bike if I didn't first hand you cash,  our transaction is void.  :tongue:  I have never had to do that when buying a MC.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 09:28:45 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2016, 03:10:46 PM »
Guess I'm lucky, but every MG I have purchased(7) has been sight unseen and not ridden. Granted, two were brand new.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Fuzzy

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2016, 03:31:22 PM »
What AZ Wayne said. Maybe the environment in which I live allows me to feel more trusting (naive, gullible, just plain stupid), if I ever get someone to even call, I'll beg them to come visit and go for a ride (unless they are from Chicago  :wink:).

If I'm buying I'm already feeling bad about a transaction if I am held up before it even starts.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2016, 09:50:19 PM »
Well, I guess I don't have to worry about a "signing" for a while. The guy told me he's 97% certain he will show up tonight to look at my bike.  The 3% happened!!! haha
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 

Offline drlapo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2016, 06:17:42 AM »
You don't want a "waiver" you want a hold harmless agreement a covenant not to sue and an indemnity agreement.
They can be very affective if written correctly and are in widespread usage.
Samples are available on the web.
It's a good idea

Online Dave Swanson

• Gaggle Hero
  • Northern Illinois USA
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2016, 07:28:56 AM »
It depends on the bike and customer.

When I sold my Honda CBR954RR I knew the typical young gun would want an "enthusiastic" test ride.   Cash in hand before test ride was my terms, and if it was dumped it was sold.  It worked out well and the young man had no problem handing over the wad of cash before his test ride.  He came back with a wild look in his eyes asking "how do you keep the front wheel down on this?"

At times I still miss that bike.  It was an adrenaline rush. 

« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 07:31:21 AM by Dave Swanson »
Dave Swanson - Northern IL
1935 GTS
1968 V700
1973 V7 Sport
1974 Eldo
1974 Police Eldo
1976 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1980 T3 California
1993 1000S - Sparklehorse
2004 V11S - Eraldo-ized
2016 Griso SE - Beetle-ized
2021 V7-850 Stone Centenario
2022 V85TT Guardia d'Onore
2023 V100S

MGNOC L-780

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here