Author Topic: Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment report  (Read 5576 times)

Offline willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment report
« on: July 29, 2017, 09:01:38 PM »
About 7 gas tanks ago I decided to try adding some Star Tron to each fill-up in my '08 1200 Sport with 22,000 miles on it. ... 1 oz per 6 gallon fill up.  It has given me an extra 2-3 mpg. I don't know what it did to the engine but it has made the 1200 2V engine EXTREMELY SMOOTH! It was fairly smooth before the Star Tron fuel treatment, especially between 3,500-5,000 rpm's. Now it is glass smooth and seems to have more pep! I will definitely continue to use it.
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment report
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 09:32:11 PM »
Qctane booster? Can you tell us a bit more about the stuff?
New Zealand
2002 Ev tourer (Stalled again...)

Offline willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 11:13:38 PM »
It was recommended to me by a cycle mechanic. Its supposed to help performance and clean the fuel lines, injectors etc.
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Offline DaSwami

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 11:24:22 PM »
Hm.   I never associated it with performance, I thought it just made stored  fuel last longer before breaking down, we used it to winterize fuel in tanks in Montana.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 11:24:22 PM »

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 05:49:28 AM »
Not questioning your experience but mine was nothing like that.
For the past 27 years our seasonal construction equipment and toys have used everything from Sta-Bil and Sea-Foam to whatever was the new kid on the block.  There has never been a repeatable measurable difference in performance as far as we can tell.

Battery Tenders? That's another story.  We've never had a battery failure since putting a dozen or so of them into service in 2001.
But I digress............ ...
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 06:03:30 AM »
sounds like your bike had a blockage/old fuel issue, and the Star Tron cleaned it up.
good to hear your running better.

Offline nyITguy

• New Egg
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2017, 07:07:48 AM »
I recently started using it as well. My first two tanks with it seemed to help my Breva run smoother through its sometimes sputtery 3500 to 4200 rpm range. I'm going to use up the bottle then run without it for a while to see if I can draw any definitive conclusions about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline kingoffleece

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2017, 08:31:41 AM »
Correct.  it's been primarily Naptha all he way back to the 30's with Sea-Foam.

Offline kingoffleece

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2017, 08:33:46 AM »
The vast majority of small engine repair guys we know swear by Yamaha ring free, now known as Engine Rx.

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2017, 09:02:43 AM »
 Naptha is primarily used as a solvent...it has an octane rating of about 70................. ...Many people swear by various additives put into fuel or oil...if they feel it's an advantage ,that's all that matters....

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2017, 09:20:51 AM »
I used to periodically use Sea Foam as a fuel treatment until I looked up the MSDS/SDS and realized I was WAY overpaying for something not all that special.

And I tried to get Sea Foam to clean the varnish from carb parts. It didn't clean them at all. Yet that is one of the supposed benefits.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Lcarlson

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2017, 11:14:15 AM »
Startron, Seafoam, Stabil et al are all primarily fuel stabilizers -- useful for preserving fuel during storage (helping to prevent phase separation). Some claim cleaning effects as well, but if you want a fuel system cleaner, go with Techron (by name or re-branded as BMW Fuel System Cleaner).

Orange Guzzi

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2017, 11:52:19 AM »
Correct.  it's been primarily Naptha all he way back to the 30's with Sea-Foam.

STAR*TRON GASOLINE ADDITIVE MSDS

http://www.onboces.org/safety/msds/S/Star Brite Star Tron Gasoline Additive 11-11.pdf

95% Naptha.

1 ounce extra of combustible fuel will increase fuel milage by .7%.  Use only 127 ounces of fuel and 1 ounce of fuel additive and see if the miles per gallon go up. 

Orange Guzzi

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2017, 12:11:45 PM »
Good old Pine Sol for heavily varnished parts. 24 hour soak and comes out like new.

Pinesol does work.  Warm/hot even better.  Just don't breath to much. 

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2017, 12:42:30 PM »
I'm not arguing the products effectiveness just pointing out that some folks are paying up to 6-1/2 times more for the same thing albeit relabeled with a fancy name and cute little container. Marketing at its finest.

You're correct.....Naphtha is a solvent, gasoline is a solvent, is one better than the other  for doing what solvents do?

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2017, 06:06:12 PM »
Search Youtube on "Fuel Injection Cleaners". There are a couple of guys, ChrisFix being one, that tests a variety of them and uses a boroscope in each cylinder before and after treatment. Bottom line most show little or no difference when used as directed.

Pete
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 06:18:04 PM by PeteS »

Offline redhawk47

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Traveler
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2017, 01:50:13 AM »
Not to piss in your cheerios but just like the thread a while back you really need to look up the MSDS/SDS sheet on Star Tron Enzyme fuel treatment. If is nothing more than Naphtha. If you saunter back to the camping section of you local Wally World look for Crown camp fuel AKA "white gas". It costs less than $8 per gallon and is straight Naphtha.

So you can spend a $1.12 per ounce for Star Tron or you can spend $0.17 per ounce for Naphtha and have the same result.

If you look further the Star Tron "diesel" treatment is nothing more than kerosene . MSDS/SDS sheets are great.
You have overlooked an important ingredient in Star Tron - the enzyme that takes care of the problems that ethanol causes. I had a F800GS that had plugged injectors from the ethanol crud. Replaced the injectors and regularly dosed it with Star Tron; no more injector problems.
Dan
2021 V85TT Centenario, 2016 V7II Stone, CSC TT250, Gone:KLR, CSC RX3,

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2017, 05:55:20 AM »
Any if you remember the old Warshawky automotive catalogues? As a kid I remember reading thru the ads for additives. Why you saved so much in gas that you had to stop and drain some out. LOL.

I don't use an additive in my gas, never have and I stopped counting at a million miles on Guzzis. But, I will say this, I'm not arguing with those that do.

You can say bad things about my momma and my wife, but don't ever talk bad about my additive or my 50 vitamin supplements,etc.

Use 'em if it makes you feel good,
Tex

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2017, 06:01:37 AM »
a few shots of Jack Daniels won't help your bike run better, but it'll make YOU feel better after a hard day. JMO  :wink:

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2017, 07:10:09 AM »
You have overlooked an important ingredient in Star Tron - the enzyme that takes care of the problems that ethanol causes. I had a F800GS that had plugged injectors from the ethanol crud. Replaced the injectors and regularly dosed it with Star Tron; no more injector problems.

Correct, chain lubes, dri slide etc all have solvents that are necessary to make them do what they do properly.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

twowings

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2017, 09:42:13 AM »
Marvel Mystery Oil FTW!!

Everything else bad juju! I have spoken... :cool:

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2017, 10:18:35 AM »
I've had pretty good luck clearing idle mixture jets with Seafoam. Not so much with bikes, but with our farm's equipment...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline kirkemon

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2017, 02:58:14 PM »
I was going to try the Bel Ray All in One fuel treatment but still trying to find out if it's snake oil or not:
http://www.belray.com/all-one-fuel-treatment-0
Kirk

Offline lti_57

• Directly above the center of the Earth
  • Gosling
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2017, 05:09:10 PM »
Just like the time I replaced the chrome lined cylinders on my 850T. Right after that I put in some fuel additive in w/ the gas and have not had an issue with the chrome lining since

2007 Guzzi Griso
1992 BMW K75

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2017, 05:45:48 PM »
I use the stuff in fuel on the storage bikes, ones I ride once every month or 2, works great haven't had to clean carbs at all.
I have used another for cleaning up heads, and deposits on the Guzzi's and my Jeep 4.0. It's called DurAlt. Most noticeable on the Jeep, plugs read all the same after extended use. Before some were dark some too white. Maybe got 2mpg better but not much. Truck ran much better afterwards.   I remember friends selling it years ago, kinda like Slick 50.
I used it w/running AvGas & unleaded mix, heads always looked better.
http://www.saveonfuel.info/files/MSDS_Diesel.pdf
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 06:59:00 PM by guzzisteve »
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here