Author Topic: Norge Top Case Removal  (Read 5748 times)

Online taz

• New Egg
  • 2003 Aprilla RSV Mille, 2007 Moto Guzzi Norge
Norge Top Case Removal
« on: December 31, 2008, 03:25:50 PM »
I know it is supposed to be simple, but no luck.  I have pulled, pushed, twisted, etc. and can't get the top case to budge.  I would like to remove it for day to day use.

I took out 2 screws on the tunnel, no joy, I twisted the key, right, left, and center, I pushed in the lock, no luck. 

Any suggestions?

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."  George Orwell

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Norge Top Case Removal
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 04:29:48 PM »
Four screws to remove the tunnel. Keep looking.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

dsenn

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 06:37:21 PM »
if there are no screws inside the box, turn key to left, push in, it will go in a little, you will be against the spring, now push much harder in to release the latch. if there are screws on the inside of the box remove them first. I just went out and took mine off to verify the procedure and I had forgotten that the spring takes much more force to overcome after the initial push in .

lemanorge

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 08:41:04 PM »
After 9 months of reading about how they fall off at the slightest jar I somehow find this thread amusing.

I usually had more luck pushing in harder than I thought I needed to.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 08:41:04 PM »

Offline Pfaff!

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Lasciate ogni speranza voi ch'entrate"
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 08:53:28 PM »
I always thought the Norge-topcase was self-removing. ;D
Anders Holt

Breva V 750 ie "Rossinante" '03. Running fine ever since. Sold.
Pushing bikes these days.

"El camino amigo, el camino y nada mas"

The Professor

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 06:04:15 AM »
Simple instructions for removing the Norge top case:
   1.  Trade the Norge for a BMW R1200RT with a top case.
   2.  Put your ingition key in the top case lock.
   3.  Turn key to the release position which pops up the handle.
   4.  Pull handle and lift off the top case.

Don't be mad.  >:(    I still love Guzzis  :-* and miss my Jackal  :'(   and love my RT  :D

Ferd Nesler

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 09:00:47 AM »
I wanted to take the top case off my Norge before the salvage guys came but - no luck.  Jim at Rose Farm told me to: Insert key, push in and turn to the right then push down on the top of the top case and it should come loose.  I tried that and it would not work for me.  It is just as well anyway because while I was farting around trying to get it off I noticed that the mounting bracket was slightly bent so I left it on the bike. 

Online taz

• New Egg
  • 2003 Aprilla RSV Mille, 2007 Moto Guzzi Norge
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 10:57:36 AM »
Thanks for all the input.  It was simple once I got the sequence down.  Turn key counter clockwise (left) push it on the button (you might encounter resistance) once it unlatches pick straight up and the case is off.  Not sure why it isn't covered in the owner's manual.  Based on the number of top cases that flew off I will add a couple of retaining screws.  I know the recall was done on this bike, just don't know what modifications that required.

btw...I don't think the 2 screws on the tunnel had to be removed, but I did remove them before I took the top case off.
"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."  George Orwell

Offline azccj

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2009, 07:54:51 PM »
.  Based on the number of top cases that flew off I will add a couple of retaining screws.  I know the recall was done on this bike, just don't know what modifications that required.

btw...I don't think the 2 screws on the tunnel had to be removed, but I did remove them before I took the top case off.
The recall had to do with the part on the mount where the case clicks into the mount. The old style was made of plastic, which could crack and break off. Not good if your passenger is lean back relaxing at 75 mph when it lets go. The new style has the same piece made of aluminum. It may be stronger but it isn't any better at keeping the case secured to the mount when you hit a series of bumps in the road. The mount begins to flex enough allowing the very small metal tang on the latch plate to pull out of the now made of aluminum piece on the mount. Want to see how little is holding the case to the mount? Flip the case over, look at the latch plate. You'll see the tang which slides into the mount is just a little over a 1/16th of an inch. Truly a stupid design!!!
Current Bikes
2022 MG V85TT Travel
2019 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
2019 Suzuki Vstrom 650XT Touring
2017 Honda African Twin DCT
2014 BMW F800GT
1972 Eldorado. Which someday I will restore.

Moto Guzzis now gone but not forgotten
2007 Norge
2003 V11 Le Mans
2000 Jackel
99 EV

Offline Buckturgidson

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2015, 07:29:45 AM »
Maybe I should have read this before buying the old style top case from the classifieds. The plate visible on the underside is metal, not plastic, so perhaps the recall was done or this case was made after the recall. I ride solo so no worries about a passenger leaning on it, but having read this I am a bit leery about using this, any thoughts? Thanks.
"It's not your job to be as confused as Nigel." -Spinal Tap.
"Wagner's music is better than it sounds." -Mark Twain

'86 Yamaha SRX-6
'07 Norge, Rosina, the classy one

Offline Buckturgidson

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2015, 07:53:37 AM »
Simple instructions for removing the Norge top case:
   1.  Trade the Norge for a BMW R1200RT with a top case.
   2.  Put your ingition key in the top case lock.
   3.  Turn key to the release position which pops up the handle.
   4.  Pull handle and lift off the top case.

Don't be mad.  >:(    I still love Guzzis  :-* and miss my Jackal  :'(   and love my RT  :D

I would rather ride my Norge with a milk crate for a top case than go back to a BORING R1200RT.
"It's not your job to be as confused as Nigel." -Spinal Tap.
"Wagner's music is better than it sounds." -Mark Twain

'86 Yamaha SRX-6
'07 Norge, Rosina, the classy one

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here