Author Topic: Fires in California  (Read 6900 times)

oldbike54

Fires in California
« on: November 09, 2018, 01:53:40 PM »
 Getting really bad , Paradise CA is basically gone , this after a massive fire in 2008 . Apparently there have been more fires pop up just this morning kinda out of nowhere . You California folks stay out of the way if possible . Check in if you are anywhere near one these fires please .

Dusty

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Fires in California
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 02:02:00 PM »
And firefighters and emergency people be safe.

Offline TimmyTheHog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 02:51:31 PM »
Was just watching some of the dashcam videos regarding to the new fire...scary stuff man.

God speed with you all down there...
Life isn't WHAT IS at the end.
It is HOW and WHAT you are doing to get there.

03 Honda Shadow Spirit - The Purple Beast (SOLD)
15 Guzz V7 Stone - The Red Chick (SOLD)
18 BMW R1200GS Rallye - The Blue Streak (SOLD)

Currently Bikeless...*cry*

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 03:05:52 PM »
Wish we could send them some of the rain the East coast has had this year

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 03:05:52 PM »

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 03:20:23 PM »
The rains from 2 years ago are the problem - lots of growth.

Unfortunately a lot of Californian's don't believe in "defendable space".  When you're up in the mountains you see trees within 20' of houses. 

I'm just a red suspendered "3rd little pig".  I built my house out of fire resistant materials, above the neighboring flood plain if the dam goes and overbuilt it to sustain earthquakes.  My only fear is lighting strikes and tornadoes for natural disasters.
Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 03:46:24 PM »
I meant if was raining there now, it might help.

Online pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 05:55:05 PM »
I'm 180 miles away from the Camp Fire that obliterated Paradise, CA.  Our sky is yellow.  Outdoors smells like my fireplace.  My fish pond is covered with tiny ash fragments.  We have some relatives who are known to have reached evacuation shelter but their home in Paradise is likely a cinder field now.

Guzzi Content:  If I recall, many years ago there was an old retired couple in Paradise who served as informal NorCal reps for the Guzzi Club.  Used to host a little camping rally in their rural yard when the local "Pioneer Days" were on.  Can't remember the name.  Just down the road from where my in-laws used to run a little farm (now ash).  Neal Road.  I'm sure those old Guzzi folks are long gone, but everything along Neal Road is incinerated.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Tennmoto

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2018, 08:13:34 PM »
I been wondering about the whole rebuild after the fire thing. Doesn’t it seem crazy to build the same flammable
Homes in a burn environment. Why not build a concrete and metal home that could withstand and protect
The homeowner. Was it Greensburg Ks that rebuilt the town mostly with ICFs and tornado proof doors and windows

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2018, 05:32:59 AM »
I been wondering about the whole rebuild after the fire thing. Doesn’t it seem crazy to build the same flammable
Homes in a burn environment. Why not build a concrete and metal home that could withstand and protect
The homeowner. Was it Greensburg Ks that rebuilt the town mostly with ICFs and tornado proof doors and windows

I bet 1/4 of the people in this country live in areas known for tornadoes, hurricanes,floods, fires and earthquakes...

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2018, 05:47:42 AM »
Just read someone was asking for help getting horses safe.
Isn't there an escape route cars can travel on?
I would tether my horses inline and walk them out if I did not have a horse trailer.
People can decide if they want to live in a risky area, animals cannot.

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2018, 06:11:38 AM »
I would tether my horses inline and walk them out if I did not have a horse trailer.

Domestic animals may have no choice but many wild animals can leave.....If there's a place for them to go that isn't full of humans...

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2018, 06:17:33 AM »
Domestic animals may have no choice but many wild animals can leave.....If there's a place for them to go that isn't full of humans...
And that's the problem, nowhere to go. Evolution for many wild animals has become eating from garbage cans, people's throw aways, bird feeders.
Not just California, everywhere.

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2018, 06:44:37 AM »
I heard that Jim Carey set up a GoFundMe page for the displaced celebrities.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Online pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2018, 01:18:28 PM »
Guzzi Content:  If I recall, many years ago there was an old retired couple in Paradise who served as informal NorCal reps for the Guzzi Club.  Used to host a little camping rally in their rural yard when the local "Pioneer Days" were on.  Can't remember the name.  Just down the road from where my in-laws used to run a little farm (now ash).  Neal Road.  I'm sure those old Guzzi folks are long gone, but everything along Neal Road is incinerated.

I asked Frank Wedge to help with old records.  These people were Joe & Ellen Eager.  They were elderly people 30 years ago when they were hosting so I doubt they are in Paradise any longer (at least not this one).  Undoubtedly, what WAS their property is surely now ash.

Has anyone else been around long enough to remember that name?

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Offline Daleroso

• Gosling
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2018, 04:19:43 PM »
One of those events one can't understand fully unles you've experienced it. Videos & storytelling of natural disasters & traumatic events don't do them justice.
It would help Ca if they were allowed to clear dead & undergrowth & prevented from bldg in it.
A friend was a career Ca fire chief who is not polite discribing Ca's environmental mgmt.

Offline Kent in Upstate NY

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2018, 04:58:36 PM »
One of those events one can't understand fully unles you've experienced it. Videos & storytelling of natural disasters & traumatic events don't do them justice.
It would help Ca if they were allowed to clear dead & undergrowth & prevented from bldg in it.
A friend was a career Ca fire chief who is not polite discribing Ca's environmental mgmt.
if you want property insurance you have to clear the brush.  Nobody is saying you can't clear your land.
Correctional educators don't make the criminals you fear. We make the criminals you fear smarter.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2018, 05:35:04 PM »
I had friends in Paradise, in that mobile home park that was obliterated.

I agree -- no forests = no forest fires.  Plow under all vegetation immediately!   :rolleyes:

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2018, 06:01:19 PM »
Maybe we can all agree.. this borders on political.. that Ca's environment is not "normal." They had record heat this year, and record rains two years ago,  for instance. Unfortunately, not normal may just be our new "normal." It is definitely not "normal" here in the Midwest. I'm a farmer. I well remember my grandmother complaining about the weather not being "normal" after we set off all those atomic bomb tests back in the day. At that time, I thought,  :rolleyes: .  We are upsetting Mother Nature. She is telling us about that.
Sorry..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Kent in Upstate NY

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2018, 06:13:27 PM »
Chuck, weren't you there two years ago? It seems every time you visit it rains. Maybe you should move there permanently. :evil:
Correctional educators don't make the criminals you fear. We make the criminals you fear smarter.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2018, 06:42:50 PM »
Chuck, weren't you there two years ago? It seems every time you visit it rains. Maybe you should move there permanently. :evil:

That *may* be my fault. The Kids/grandkids came here this summer, so we won't be back until mid December. We were planning to go out in October to the Sandy Eggo not a rally, but Her Kid is remodeling the house and there was no place for us to sleep except under the patio floor.  :evil: They don't call me Rainman for nothing.. I predict record rains in mid December, but it'll be too late.  :sad:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Daleroso

• Gosling
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2018, 06:57:23 PM »
I don't think I implied any political intent. W/o sharing details I just referred to what a career Ca fire chief shared. Facts, not opinion. I'll apologize & leave it here.

oldbike54

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2018, 07:03:55 PM »
I don't think I implied any political intent. W/o sharing details I just referred to what a career Ca fire chief shared. Facts, not opinion. I'll apologize & leave it here.

Thanks Dale  :thumb:

Dusty

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2018, 07:08:52 PM »

People were dying in cars up there.  The fire was spreading at the rate 80 football fields per minute yesterday morning. Total, terrible chaos.  Something like 17,000 acres in the first few hours.  Up to 90,000 acres now. 

I would do what you suggest and attempt leading them out if no access to a trailer, but in this fire even people in cars on the road were dying.

:sad:
Frigging nightmare.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

oldbike54

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2018, 08:05:49 PM »
 Reports are saying nearly 7,000 homes and 250 businesses are lost in Paradise alone . Like Rocker said , this is bad .

Dusty

Online pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2018, 11:30:13 PM »
Most California fires leave random, odd houses standing while the neighbors burn.  Not this case.  In Paradise, apparently everything burned and there is not the occasional untouched building that you hear of in other events.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont cA

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2018, 05:10:32 AM »
This link shows a map of wildfires in USA. You can click on the fire symbol to see the current details.
There are other links on the page. Earthquakes, Amber alerts, etc.
http://fires.globalincidentmap.com/

Offline azguzzirep

• Gaggle Hero
  • Gratzi Carlo!
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2018, 07:02:39 AM »
 :weiner:Long time Guzzi guy and photographer Glen Morgan has lost everything.... :cry:
Murphy's  Law sucks!

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2018, 08:26:43 AM »
I asked Frank Wedge to help with old records.  These people were Joe & Ellen Eager.  They were elderly people 30 years ago when they were hosting so I doubt they are in Paradise any longer (at least not this one).  Undoubtedly, what WAS their property is surely now ash.

Has anyone else been around long enough to remember that name?

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA
[/quote

Patrick, Joe and Ellen Eager don't show in my foggy memory.
Tex

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2018, 08:36:47 AM »
Maybe we can all agree.. this borders on political.. that Ca's environment is not "normal." They had record heat this year, and record rains two years ago,  for instance. Unfortunately, not normal may just be our new "normal." It is definitely not "normal" here in the Midwest. I'm a farmer. I well remember my grandmother complaining about the weather not being "normal" after we set off all those atomic bomb tests back in the day. At that time, I thought,  :rolleyes: .  We are upsetting Mother Nature. She is telling us about that.
Sorry..

I remember watching episodes of Chips, Emergency, and Adam-12 where they had to deal with wildfires.  Wildfires are a natural process.  People moving to where they occur is not natural. 

Same thing regarding people building in flood zones, on barrier islands, etc.  We are the ones encroaching and building where we shouldn't.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2018, 09:51:28 AM »
I had friends in Paradise, in that mobile home park that was obliterated.

I agree -- no forests = no forest fires.  Plow under all vegetation immediately!   :rolleyes:

I am not sure I agree or disagree.  First, the fires aren't in forests.  The fires are fed by typical brush and coastal scrub, drought and wind.  So, I suppose that you are right, if the brush as cleared and plowed and folks didn't built there, it wouldn't be such a disaster.   

I think more can be done.  But who should do it and who should pay?  The homeowners?  The city?  State?  Homeowners association? Zoning restrictions?  Fire resistant building standards?

Then we have to control the weather.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 09:58:11 AM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here