Author Topic: The things you find..  (Read 18125 times)

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
The things you find..
« on: November 12, 2018, 11:35:47 AM »
 I've always said if you look for trouble on an old machine, you *will* find it.  :grin:
An old friend suddenly decided he needed a loop after reading Nick's book about riding one in Canada, eh? So he bought an Eldo. Not bad looking, but barely running. He asked if I would take a look at it, and since he *is* an old friend, I said I'd at least tell him what he has. I really don't like working on other people's bikes.. it reminds me of work. Working on mine is play..
But I digress..
Here's the first thing I found:
2018-11-12_12-20-09 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr
See the air filters? Both have been on fire.  :shocked:
That probably explains why there are additional fuel shut off valves..oh.. the hoses say, "not for fuel.."
The chokes may not work too well.
2018-11-12_12-20-28 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr
The DPO said the clutch needs adjusted. Uh oh. Hopefully it doesn't need to be adjusted to the scrap pile.. free play at the lever and transmission is ok.
At least it has Gilardonis..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline EldoMike

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: The things you find..
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 01:01:40 PM »
Throttle cable is toasted...

Offline bodine99

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 01:39:03 PM »
OH-BOY!!!!!!! Good luck and keep us posted. Hope he has a good Guzzi slush fund!!

Online pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 01:50:57 PM »
Typical form over function philosophy.  The second pic of the tank paint, chrome, and seat fabric look wonderful.  Somebody was far more concerned about image than operation.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 01:50:57 PM »

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 01:58:47 PM »
Throttle cable is toasted...
Oh, yeah.. there's more. I should know better than to get into something like this.  :rolleyes: There are three prick punch marks on the crank pulley, but they have no bearing whatsoever on where the piston is on the S cylinder.. so far I've not been able to get it "just right" so I can do a leak down test. One of the fears I have is since the petcocks have obviously been leaking, it's been run with a crankcase full of gas, trashing the bearings, etc.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

oldbike54

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 02:18:18 PM »
 Please tell us that the PO paid your friend at least 500 bucks to haul this thing away  :shocked:

Dusty

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2018, 02:19:46 PM »
Typical form over function philosophy.  The second pic of the tank paint, chrome, and seat fabric look wonderful.  Somebody was far more concerned about image than operation.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Yeah, I'm afraid it's a "lipstick and rouge" job. When I see black under the valve covers, I immediately think blowby.. that's another reason I'm trying to do a leak down.
2018-11-12_03-11-37 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr
The spacer on the intake manifold looks suspicious to me, too. Like it's maybe been really hot.
Oh. This would have been exciting shortly, assuming it will actually run..
2018-11-12_03-16-01 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

pete roper

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2018, 02:26:22 PM »
Why is there a piece of cheese next to the battery? Is to stop the mice eating the wiring loom?

Offline dguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sorry, I'm woke so I'll be quiet.
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2018, 02:35:00 PM »
Was there a milk crate strapped on that?
'03 EVT
'87 Cagiva
'72 Commando
'71 Commando
'90 Miata
'16 Mustang

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2018, 03:01:16 PM »
Why is there a piece of cheese next to the battery? Is to stop the mice eating the wiring loom?

It's cheesecake, Pete - the deal sweetener.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline acogoff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2018, 03:02:42 PM »
     That is a mighty fine job of securing the battery and the tape should keep an electrical short from happening for at least 10 minutes of riding. :laugh:
'77850t3FB Owned since it was new
Marshall County Minnesota USA

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2018, 03:54:51 PM »
You! A notable scribe of fixit stories and beyond. Although mine is not a motorcycle story, I've felt your rising pain. If you need an intervention? - - that's what we're here for.
Good fortune,  R3~

Offline brider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2018, 04:12:12 PM »
Somebody was far more concerned about image than operation.

This is why my bikes are never really pretty. I have very little patience for spit and polish, when the maintenance needs tendin'-to. Oh, I appreciate a pretty bike, until I see a cracked throttle cable and missing choke cables. Probably didn't think it really needed a choke circuit (then cap it off, for cripe's sake!).
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Offline huub

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2018, 04:28:49 PM »
pretty  typical for the bikes i tend to buy.
keep looking , and you will find interesting repairs using wood screws , sticky tape and worm drive clips
wit a 40 year old bike you buy 40 years of bodged repairs from the previous owners...

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2018, 04:40:22 PM »
pretty  typical for the bikes i tend to buy.
keep looking , and you will find interesting repairs using wood screws , sticky tape and worm drive clips
wit a 40 year old bike you buy 40 years of bodged repairs from the previous owners...

I had a worm drive clip save my bacon on a late Sunday eve flyover run through the midwest plains. Nothing but a convenience store "hardware" section for assistance after my Guzzi rattled off an important fastener. Worked a treat. I did replace it however, upon completion of the journey. We all know rear brakes are over-rated anyway.

Looks like fun Chuck.
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2018, 04:54:11 PM »
Keep up the good work Chuck.  You'll soon have more great friends than you can count.   :grin:

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2018, 05:30:55 AM »

They'd need some dental work if they tried to eat *that* loom  :evil:  although surprisingly most of the electrics work. It looks like the throttle cable..brittle and cracked.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2018, 07:09:21 AM »
You! A notable scribe of fixit stories and beyond. Although mine is not a motorcycle story, I've felt your rising pain. If you need an intervention? - - that's what we're here for.
Good fortune,  R3~

Yeah, I may need an intervention. This is probably more than I want to take on for someone else..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2018, 08:22:06 AM »
At least the B&S fuel shut off valve is a quality piece. I use em on all my bikes. Cheeper n better than oem.
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Offline larrys

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2018, 08:50:47 AM »
I love learning the stories of old machines. They will tell you their life history as you take them apart. Looks like a decent project.
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2018, 09:16:54 AM »
Yeah, I may need an intervention. This is probably more than I want to take on for someone else..

I have no problem helping someone with their project provided they are actually doing the work while I advise them. If they don't want to get their fingers dirty, then maybe an old bike is not a good choice for them.                           

When you purchase an old bike, you have two choices, fix it yourself or pay a pro to work on your project bike, but bring plenty of cash.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2018, 09:30:04 AM »
I have no problem helping someone with their project provided they are actually doing the work while I advise them. If they don't want to get their fingers dirty, then maybe an old bike is not a good choice for them.                           

When you purchase an old bike, you have two choices, fix it yourself or pay a pro to work on your project bike, but bring plenty of cash.

He gave me a blank check, but I told him I really *don't* want a job. I'm guessing it will need the engine rebuilt, carbs rebuilt, new harness, new clutch, etc. I haven't even looked at the rear drive, drive shaft, u joint.. but they are "probably" ok. Tires look good except for being weather checked. I haven't looked at the date on them, but they are probably from when this last ran. Several years ago..
I'll look a little further before telling him to come get it.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2018, 09:41:38 AM »
He gave me a blank check, but I told him I really *don't* want a job.

Blank check? Ship it to Charlie, as that is what he does and we know that it will be delivered back to him as a better than new finished bike.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2018, 11:36:54 AM »
Well well.. something good for a change.  :smiley: I took the crank pulleys off, cleaned them up, marked the timing marks and put a mark at TDC on the right so I could do a leak down on it. Oriented them correctly.  :cool:
Both cylinders are ok. The left is 80/75, the Right (shown) is 80/76. Kinda surprised me, really..looking at the color of the heads.
2018-11-13_11-50-49 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr

I'll give the owner a call and see what he wants to do. If he wants a "restoration" I'll see if Charlie wants to do it.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2018, 12:48:20 PM »

I'll give the owner a call and see what he wants to do. If he wants a "restoration" I'll see if Charlie wants to do it.

Charlie hasn't commented on this old loop yet ... he's probably sprinkling holy water at the door to his shop, hanging garlic braids around, burning candles and incense, and chanting incantations to make sure that this bike doesn't get onto his HF lift by any means ... !

OR maybe he's just itching to get his hands on it, and it'll be a Cinderella story ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2018, 01:11:06 PM »
Not making excuses for the original owner... but sometimes, on a loved old ride... things start to slip. I'd hate to think what  you guys would have said about my trusty old CB750, had you seen it before I decided to truly rebuild it.

Trailer plug replacement for the ignition switch... (female plug wired in place of switch... plug in pigtailed "male" end to act as key), beercan and hose clamp fixes for exhaust holes, carb screwdriver required to unlock seat lock, endless roadside wiring "temporary fixes", rattlecan touch-ups to prevent rust...

Sometimes, things go sideways on a bike as you own it, and those "temporary" fixes turn out to work "just fine", so you leave them. And then, one day, you realize that what you see as a beloved, reliable old friend, is someone else's "ratbike".
Old enough to say I've done it, young enough to do it again.

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2018, 02:14:43 PM »
Temporary fixes are fine, we've all done them.  But then get it done right.  Too much at stake on 2 wheels.  Ever see anyone flying  a Rat Airplane? 
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2018, 02:17:36 PM »
So a word on the filters if they are K&N call K&N and they will replace them for free shipping included. Unconditional million mile warranty. I've gotten 2 set replace that were on old Guzzi's I bought.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2018, 02:33:22 PM »
So a word on the filters if they are K&N call K&N and they will replace them for free shipping included. Unconditional million mile warranty. I've gotten 2 set replace that were on old Guzzi's I bought.

That include fire damage, though?

Temporary fixes are fine, we've all done them.  But then get it done right.  Too much at stake on 2 wheels.  Ever see anyone flying  a Rat Airplane? 

No, but not really the same. Plenty of ratty old cars on the road, and plenty of ratty old UTVs banging through the bush, too.

Like I said, not making excuses, just offering a different perspective on it.
Old enough to say I've done it, young enough to do it again.

Offline wrbix

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2018, 02:54:15 PM »
Ever see anyone flying  a Rat Airplane?
Actually I have, older gent with an Ercoupe - enough of an oil leak that the nose wheel was dripping with W100, he was on his own maintenance schedule according to him, whatever that meant. Did not see that plane around much longer, but neither did I see an NTSB report....so I guess that’s good.
Bill in VA, sometimes FL

"Eschew aphorism"

LeMans IV - "Giulia"
Lario - "Giulietta"
V50III cafe'd - "Leggera"
‘77 Convert - “Sofia”
BMW airheads: R100RS, R100CS, R100GS, R100RT, R60/2 sidecar rig
Classic Mini
‘60 Austin Healey Sprite
Caterham Super Seven Sprint
‘13 Audi TTRS
Grumman AA5B (sold)

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here