Author Topic: Best BBQ Smoker Recommendations  (Read 2356 times)

Offline davevv

• Gosling
Re: Best BBQ Smoker Recommendations
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2021, 09:48:05 PM »
I use a Pit Boss pellet smoker and love it.  Excellent quality and consistent temperature control.  Also less expensive than Traeger.  Does a fabulous job on turkeys, ham, brisket, ribs, etc.  Great for pizza too.

I still keep my Char-Griller for steaks, burgers, and so forth.
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."--Wyatt Earp
'94 BMW R1100RS, '20 BMW G310GS, 22 BMW F750GS

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2021, 06:11:56 AM »
If a good sear is really important to you, get a handheld propane torch for the finishing touches.

I like my Searzall

Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2021, 07:05:04 AM »
Not sure I understand searing at the end of the cooking cycle. 
I was always told to sear the meat first to lock in the juices and then cook to the level of required for the internal temperature wanted. 

Have I been looking at the wrong cooking shows?
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2021, 10:39:32 AM »
Not sure I understand searing at the end of the cooking cycle. 
I was always told to sear the meat first to lock in the juices and then cook to the level of required for the internal temperature wanted. 

Have I been looking at the wrong cooking shows?

Give 'reverse sear' a look on the ol' google. 
I think that searing 'to lock in juices' has become one of those debunked conventional wisdom things.  But most people searing at the end are doing it because they cooked the item via sous vide or braising or a long slow cook (overnight T-Bone in a 120deg oven) ...  all those methods give you even cooking throughout with perfect internal temp, but destroy any crust you would have formed if you seared it first.
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2021, 10:39:32 AM »

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2021, 11:45:24 PM »
IMHO, the external or handheld searing devices have come forth because pellet stoves and smokers typically (not always) can't sear the food. The Weber Sear Station on my new (delivered today) Genesis SE-335 works perfectly. After the initial burn in of all burners on high for 30 minutes I grilled a 1.25" bone-in ribeye. About 8 minutes of actual cooking time to achieve the best Med-Rare steak house ribeye you'll get anywhere. 50 seconds four times over the sear station then 4 minutes on the other side of the grill without the burner on. Perfect searing, perfectly cooked through, no need for a hand held torch etc.

When you want to go the Low & Slow route, then you'll typically need the 'reverse sear' method to get the grill marks so many people like. Of course the cook time lengthens considerably. Spices/rubs/wood for smoking and cooking methods are as varied as the cooks performing them.

Next up on the gas grill: bacon for breakfast then burgers for dinner.

Pretty sure I'll have a Slow & Sear and a medium Vortex inbound for my 22" Weber kettle soon.

Experimenting on the grills is a lot of fun.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2021, 08:00:55 AM »
The "reverse sear" option seems to work for me when cooking extra thick pieces of meat or any meat I want well done.  I want to make sure it's done enough, so I'll put it on the top rack to get a little smoke and heat in it.  Then I'll put it on the grill and finish it with a sear.

I don't think it works with thinner cuts that I want rare or medium rare.  OTOH, I like to use it with pork steaks that I prefer done.  The reverse sear seems to keep the meat from drying out and then I can still sear it and get the right juiciness.  My go to steaks are "Chuck Eye", inexpensive, well marbled and very think.  I'll put them on the top rack to get started and then sear them for medium rare- I don't like my steaks to be raw in the middle.  I don't use this for a ribeye, strip or T-bone, just put 'em on the fire & cook 'em.

John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2021, 11:54:06 AM »
Spot on.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2022, 05:55:32 PM »
Well, I finally got a "smoker".  I'm in it for about $25. 

It's a mesh stainless tube that you fill with wood pellets.  You start the pellets with a propane torch, let it burn for 10 minutes, blow it out and put it in your grill, close the lid.  BOOM

Now I can even cold smoke if I want because the heat is controlled by my gas grill.  The smoke with go from 2-6 hours on it's own depending on the amount of wood pellets that I put in the cylinder.  The pellets are much cheaper than wood chips ($15 for 20lb).  I can start the smoker, set my grill for the temp I want and walk away. 

https://www.lowes.com/pd/A-MAZE-N-1-Adjustable-Length-Stainless-Steel/1001294708?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-sol-_-ggl-_-LIA_SOL_119_Grills-_-1001294708-_-local-_-0-_-0&ds_rl=1286981&gclid=Cj0KCQiAxc6PBhCEARIsAH8Hff2XPcOSfmM1sPak0Qj3S_rIkaR3ae2nT61qmC_k6l9dlbg8LuiwmbcaAqlIEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 05:56:57 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Redrider

« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2022, 07:37:41 AM »
Our neighbor got a pellet smoker for Christmas. Stank up the entire hood with a most god awful, putrid chemical stench that lasted throughout the cook. I cannot imagine the taste of the food. Just to be sure of his method, he did the same thing a week later. Has not used it since. What chemical binders are used to make the pellets?
 Wifey bought me a side box NEXT grill/smoker from Home Depot. Works well enough for us and the July 4 pool crowd using charcoal and wood.

Online Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2022, 08:08:52 AM »
Our neighbor got a pellet smoker for Christmas. Stank up the entire hood with a most god awful, putrid chemical stench that lasted throughout the cook. I cannot imagine the taste of the food. Just to be sure of his method, he did the same thing a week later. Has not used it since. What chemical binders are used to make the pellets?
 Wifey bought me a side box NEXT grill/smoker from Home Depot. Works well enough for us and the July 4 pool crowd using charcoal and wood.

Unlikely the pellets, but could be from the grill, etc.  I use RecTec or Weber Pellets, not tried any other, but anything is possible.  It's been 6 years or so since I bought mine, but I seem to remember I ran the smoker at 500 for a couple hours and let it cool before I did my first cook.
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline kingoffleece

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2022, 09:13:39 AM »
Food grade pellets have no chemicals, binders, or flavored added.  It's simply compressed "sawdust" formed into a rod then cut into pellet size.
Hope your neighbor didn't use heating pellets.  All new grills of any type need to be seasoned prior to use.

Some new style pellets use a mix of wood and charcoal, but again, zero additives are used.  Compression only. That is a reason to be sure to store them in low humidity.  When exposed to water for any length of time you end up with a big pile of wet sawdust good for nothing!.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2022, 11:09:17 AM »

I'd say your neighbor got a bad batch of pellets.  And I'll admit, I had the same concern although have never read a complaint until now.  I picked up a bag of hickory pellets and it was really good, the smoke smelled great, more intense than wood chips.   (IMO hickory is the best BBQ.  I use nothing else at the house.)

I was looking at those NEXT grills.  Luckily, I've got all I want for $20 <Guzzi Content>  Wish I'd never purchased that electric smoker in the first place now.

Going to smoke St Louis BBQ ribs tomorrow.  Would like to experiment with cold smoking soon.
John L 

Offline 9fingers

• Gosling
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2022, 03:31:34 PM »
You guys have made my hungry! And I have decided to get one of those perforated tubes and some hickory pellets, though I am a total beginner at smoking meats. However, i do LOVE smoked meats!
Scott
Current bikes:
V7 III Special - Sophia
Royal Enfield Classic Chrome 500 Bullet - Guinevere
Suzuki V Strom 650 - Rita
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL250 custom
Honda TL125
Yamaha TY350

Redrider

« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2022, 04:12:31 PM »
Did some research on wood pellets and they are mostly benign. Sorry for the confusion. As for the smell, I cannot imagine how a second use could stink so much after a 6 hour first burn in.

Offline sidmonsters

• Hatchling
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2022, 11:07:21 AM »
I've had a Pit Barrel Cooker for 3 years now and for the $300 it's been great.  I've fed 20+ family at Thanksgivings and Christmas on turkeys, briskets, and tenderloins without a fail.  There is a learning curve, and I do wish it could hold a lower temperature longer (it burns most consistently in my hands at 275+, whereas I would like to hold at 225 or so for 6-8 hours prior to re-stoking).  I use a bluetooth multiprobe thermometer to monitor the cooker temp and the meat, so there is some babysitting (good chance to sneak out with a beer--I did mention the extended family coming down for the holidays, right?). Anyhow, another option that will fill the bill inexpensively--Guzzi content, though I can't beat a cardboard box and foil-- for some.  My parents have a Traeger but never use it, though I can see the beauty of setting a low temp and leaving it alone for 10-12 hours.  Only problem is when I drive to New Mexico from Ohio to see them, my truck and trailer are already full of motorcycles and no room to haul the beast home! 
Steve
I intend to live forever.  So far, so good....
2013 Stelvio NTX
2019 Royal Enfield Himalayan
2007 Vespa 250ie

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2022, 08:50:15 PM »
Since I recently purchased a pellet smoking tube, I wanted to cold smoke something. After I smoked and grilled some chicken, I had a couple of hours of smoking left in the tube, so I cold smoked a block of Cheddar. The instructions state to smoke it for a couple of hours, wrap it in paper for a day or two and then wrap it air tight in saran wrap for a couple of weeks.

I completed the paper wrap and my goodness, the stink was awful. I had to put the cheese in the fridge in the garage. Very rank stuff. I'll take it out of saran wrap in a couple of weeks and try it (or throw it out :eek:).
John L 

Offline AMGeneral

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2022, 05:57:49 PM »
I have had my Green Mountain pelet grill at Cedar vale and Ok camp. Its in that price you like. Works great. Easy to travel with. Its great for low and slow. Planning to keep bringing it to camps.
2000 Jackal 62,900

Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

"Just think how stupid the average person is,
and then realize that half of them
are even stupider!"
--George Carlin

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2022, 10:15:36 PM »
 :thumb:
John L 

Offline kingoffleece

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2022, 05:55:14 AM »
For the Superbowl I had 15 over to watch.  13 hour bone-in Boston Butt smoke.  Fantastic.  Used the Diva Q method for the first time to try something different.  Worked a treat.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2022, 10:07:48 PM »
Just a follow up.  I've been using a pellet smoke tube with my gas grill.  This allows for the smoke and heat to be controlled separately.

Lately I've been using a new technique.  This works well for chickens, pork, anything you want well done or a big piece of meat cooked slower.  First, I can light the tube cold smoke, I might do this an hour before I start the fire.  The advantage with the gas grill is that I can start it anytime- it doesn't have to be preheated.  And when I cold start the BBQ, the meat can warm up and warm the center as the grill heats.  I can sear as I cook it, the meat is done, smokey, tender and juice-y.

anyway, if have a gas grill, a couple of ideas.  Gas does have the advantage of a cold start instead of preheating.
John L 

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here