Author Topic: Help an idiot - tank decal question  (Read 774 times)

Offline Bpreynolds2

• Gosling
Help an idiot - tank decal question
« on: January 28, 2022, 04:31:59 PM »
Okay.  Do your good deed for the day and help an imbecile.   :grin:

So I’m basically getting close to being done with my recent Cali Stone project.  The other night after painting the tank I went to install the eagle tank decals I got from MG Cycle.  These are decals MG says are “designed” to have clear coat over them.  In typical Reynolds style, I didn’t bother even looking at the decals until I went to put them on.  They didn’t come with any directions.  There was a sticky clear backing that readily separated and it was clear you put this side of the decal on the tank.  I slap it on there.  I then look at this top cover, a kind of brown, almost masking tape looking stuff.  It would NOT separate from the decal now on the tank.  I tried applying heat, I tried applying moisture.  Didn’t work.  At last I totally botched the paint job by pulling the whole decal off the tank - which is actually okay because I didn’t like the paint color I’d chosen, but oh well.  Was I supposed to have soaked these things in water before applying?  What am I doing wrong?
2020 T120 Bonneville

Offline RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
Re: Help an idiot - tank decal question
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2022, 05:17:41 PM »

Notes: These thin transfers are contained between 2 sheets of paper. To apply, carefully peel off the backing sheet, position the transfer where you want it, and press it into place. Rub the image with a finger nail or similar object to adhere and remove air bubbles, then carefully peel off the cover sheet. You can spray clear coat over top of these transfers.
         Sounds pretty simple eh?. Well maybe not, if the stickers are old and the release paper has taken a set to the decal. Ideally you squegee the decal down  and then remove the protective paper like you tried to do. I'd be seriously looking at that other sticker to see if you could peel it apart. I'd also find out how old these decals were from MG.

Paul B :cool:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2022, 06:01:46 PM »
I can relate, I bought an old decal for my 1968 Sears Gilera, removed the underside release paper, applied the decal and the top release sheet would not come off, the decal was just too old, I just made a mess of the clear coat, thankfully I could power polish out the scratches.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 06:24:42 PM by Canuck750 »
48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

Offline Bpreynolds2

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2022, 07:01:26 PM »
Much thanks.  I don’t feel like as much the fool now.  I even eventually soaked the thing in water thinking it was maybe a water slide decal but even after that the brown paper only came off partially and ultimately tore the main decal   :undecided:
2020 T120 Bonneville

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2022, 07:01:26 PM »

Offline Bpreynolds2

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2022, 09:24:29 AM »
So, just thowing this up one more time for any advice/input as I’ve ordered new ones from a different MG supplier and I’ll be going to install them in the coming week.  I called MG Cycle to ask, since I had gotten the original ones from them, and all they could offer is how to install them, saying you peel off the top masking tape looking stuff to which the actually decal is stuck, and then you place that on the tank, decal side down, then pull off the mask stuff and the decal is supposed to stick to your tank; however, mine just stayed stuck on the paper and messed up the paint on the tank.  Is there a trick to getting the decals to release from the masking top?  After applying should I leave them on there a bit of time before pulling the top off?  Should I try to use a squeegee to press it down onto the tank before attempting to pull the mask stuff off?  Just seeking any tips.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2022, 09:42:22 AM by Bpreynolds2 »
2020 T120 Bonneville

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2022, 09:36:54 AM »
If they are vinyl squeegee them on real well. Pull the top sheet off slowly at an almost 180* angle. A little mist of soapy water before putting them on will allow you to more easily position them correctly.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline Bpreynolds2

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2022, 09:46:03 AM »
If they are vinyl squeegee them on real well. Pull the top sheet off slowly at an almost 180* angle. A little mist of soapy water before putting them on will allow you to more easily position them correctly.
kk

Hey much thanks and these die cut but I don’t think they are vinyl.  They are super thin and as described are designed to be placed underneath clear coat. 
2020 T120 Bonneville

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2022, 12:55:10 PM »
I can relate, I bought an old decal for my 1968 Sears Gilera, removed the underside release paper, applied the decal and the top release sheet would not come off, the decal was just too old, I just made a mess of the clear coat, thankfully I could power polish out the scratches.
Well Bpreynolds2, I wouldn’t feel too bad or call myself an idiot.
You’re now making the same mistakes as Canuck, I’d say you’ve reached a pretty high level.. :wink:

Offline Jack Straw

• Hatchling
  • Laugh More, Live Longer
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2022, 02:50:45 PM »
Check this place for motorsports and MC decals;  https://www.isaydingdong.co.uk/shop/search.php?q=Moto+Guzz&searchbutton=Search

I've ordered many times from them, great prices and selection despite the goofy name.

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2022, 06:00:13 PM »
Well Bpreynolds2, I wouldn’t feel too bad or call myself an idiot.
You’re now making the same mistakes as Canuck, I’d say you’ve reached a pretty high level.. :wink:

Ha, I have even a better screw up storey, when I restored my Eldorado ten years ago I bought a set of reproduction decals, I had no experience with vinyl decals and thought they were water release. I soaked the lot in warm water and waited for the backing to release, you can imagine the mess that followed as I tried to 'help' the saturated backing paper off the decal, a total loss of the decals, after consulting 'Youtube University' I figured it out and quietly ordered another set fo decals from MG Cycle  :embarrassed:

This has been the typical course of my path to aquiring new skills, the amount of stuff I have wrecked could fill a couple pages.. but as my good friend reminds me on a regualr basis "education is expensive no matter how you get it"
48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here