Author Topic: Breva 750 Cafe Racer  (Read 25254 times)

schadeam

Breva 750 Cafe Racer
« on: December 26, 2013, 10:14:33 AM »
Soooooo I'm contemplating building a Breva Cafe Racer. Any thoughts on where to start/where to look for parts? I'm just curious if it could be done without rebuilding the entire bike. Anyone with experience building a cafe racer, where did you get parts, what were your major design issues? Thanks in advance!

Offline Irn

• Gosling
  • 2004 Breva750 2007 BMW F800ST 2006 Vespa GTS2500
Re: Breva 750 Cafe Racer
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 10:30:56 AM »
I am not a purist, in fact I have seen some very cool "cafe racers" built from UJM of a vintage where if not for the efforts of a torch like yourself they would have wound up in the boneyard.  With that said, the Breva 750 is a wonderful, and beautiful bike I might add as is. You don't see all that many of them given how current they are.  The thought of a nip and tuck job on the beloved baby just breaks my heart.....and yes I own one so my intentions are well understood.

Offline Unkept

• Gaggle Hero
    • Unkept Uncaged- Youtube Channel
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 10:38:38 AM »
I am not a purist, in fact I have seen some very cool "cafe racers" built from UJM of a vintage where if not for the efforts of a torch like yourself they would have wound up in the boneyard.  With that said, the Breva 750 is a wonderful, and beautiful bike I might add as is. You don't see all that many of them given how current they are.  The thought of a nip and tuck job on the beloved baby just breaks my heart.....and yes I own one so my intentions are well understood.

:+1

The Breva is a smallblock Guzzi, not much has changed from the 650-now. My wfe's Breva is a very nice looking bike on it's own.

That being said, I wouldn't mind a Breva 750 with long upsidedown forks... a dual sport Breva.

For "Cafe" though, there is of course the V7 Cafe', or V7 Racer... if you have to do the customization yourself, you could start with something like a Nevada and put a V7 tank, Breva tank, etc. on it if you want to go down that route.

The Breva is a nice platform with the 17" tubeless wheels.  The frame has a few different tabs for body panels that are not the same on the V7 or Nevada.

The Protectors of the Baby Breva would ask that you start on a V7 though. ;)

-Joe

schadeam

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 10:43:19 AM »
See the adventure Breva is what I wanted to originally go with, but after researching it seemed like I wouldn't be able to pull it off. What would you recommend for that? Specifically in the tire/wheel regard. Is it possible to fit adventure tires on the 17" rims, or is it possible to upgrade to 18" rims without changing much in the suspension. I wouldn't be going rock crawling, but having that more aggressive look in the tire/wheel department would make the breva awesome. 

I know there are breva purists out there, but the other common trend/sentence I see is "my wife's breva", which kudos to your wives, but I'm a man, on a low budget, and would like to make this bike look a little more aggressive.  ;D

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 10:43:19 AM »

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 10:54:53 AM »
NGC but the Moto Lady has an ongoing cafe project for a 1998 Duc Monster 750 going at her site...

http://themotolady.com/

Check out 'The Monster Project'

This could have as easily been done to a B750
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline Unkept

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 10:56:45 AM »
See the adventure Breva is what I wanted to originally go with, but after researching it seemed like I wouldn't be able to pull it off. What would you recommend for that? Specifically in the tire/wheel regard. Is it possible to fit adventure tires on the 17" rims, or is it possible to upgrade to 18" rims without changing much in the suspension. I wouldn't be going rock crawling, but having that more aggressive look in the tire/wheel department would make the breva awesome. 

I know there are breva purists out there, but the other common trend/sentence I see is "my wife's breva", which kudos to your wives, but I'm a man, on a low budget, and would like to make this bike look a little more aggressive.  ;D

Me too, and I've seriously thought of trading "down" from my V11 LeMans to a Breva.  ;D

It's not a feminine bike, neither are Sportsers for that matter...

The Nevada is a better starting point for a "adv" Guzzi IMO. Or the V7 Classic. Wire wheels, 18" front... the Breva to wirewheel conversion isn't very cheap.

The new V7 Special with aluminum wheels would be my favorite starting point, IMHO, for a light ADV bike. They are still new and expensive compared to an older Nevada or Breva though.

-Joe

Offline Irn

• Gosling
  • 2004 Breva750 2007 BMW F800ST 2006 Vespa GTS2500
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2013, 11:47:21 AM »
I see is "my wife's breva", which kudos to your wives, but I'm a man, on a low budget, and would like to make this bike look a little more aggressive.  Grin

Last I checked I was a dude, and my wife of 26 years does not ride,,,,a motorcycle....

Offline flip

• Gaggle Hero
  • Aprilia Caponord 1200, Aprilia Shiver, gone MG B11
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2013, 12:24:34 PM »
I love the look of the 750 Breva. I think it would look cool with an old style, quarter fairing and some slightly lower handlebars. If you don't plan on carrying a passenger, adding a raised hump on the rear of the seat and maybe even make the rear part of the seat a different color.
North Carolina

lemans1000

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2013, 01:25:20 PM »
In my opinion, Breva 750 doesn't have "that something.." to became a good Cafe Racer bike... Why? The answer is simple; The basic idea of Cafe bike is speed and power. Breva is missing both of those things...My friend have this bike, I drive Breva, so I judge accordingly to what I felt while driving that bike...I think even if you do miracle on the engine and gearbox, to get power, and spend a lot of money, other side of medal is frame and everything else with the look of bike...

Penderic

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2013, 01:42:43 PM »
 :pop

Welding may be required.

Offline dawdish

• Gosling
  • Lifes Better with bugs in your teeth
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2013, 02:47:24 PM »
As one of the Cafe guys here, definitely not a purist, the Breva looks like a "sport tourer" and would work well with some low bars and maybe some minor body trimming and an SS fairing, to make it a bit more "sport". But anything is possible. Tonti's lend themselves to Cafe much easier. I get many of my parts from Dime City Cycle.

Dave
'81 G5 Cafe
'16 Eldorado
'76 T3 V1000

Offline Cal3Me

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2013, 05:35:19 PM »
This thread cracks me up ...... ;D .........The statement above of the description of a cafe' Racer ,,,, The basic idea is speed and power ..ha ha ha But yet half of you would buy the Enfield GT ........geesh ::) ::) :BEER:

I say chop that Breva up and GO FOR IT !!!

Tim ..........
TMS

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Re: Re: Breva 750 Cafe Racer
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2013, 06:34:17 PM »
In my opinion, Breva 750 doesn't have "that something.." to became a good Cafe Racer bike... Why? The answer is simple; The basic idea of Cafe bike is speed and power.

No, the basic idea of a café racer was to transform something with little speed and power into simmering with a bit of both, but only at the cost of being at that rabid edge of what is possible from the meager chassis/platform.

Comparing it to any modern sporting motorcycle, or basing it on one, is pointless and completely misses the purpose.

Any moron can buy something to go fast on...

and putting clip ons or a fender eliminator on a modern sport does NOT a café make.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2013, 06:56:22 PM »
Kev M , I see your spell check is as screwed up as mine , or maybe that is why they called heated up motors"cooking"

Dusty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lol simmering = something :D
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

schadeam

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2013, 08:40:56 PM »
Honestly I didn't think the Breva looked feminine. But you have to admit, most of the posts on here concerning the Breva 750 involve the words "my wife's bike" which always makes me feel like you longterm guzzi fans only bought the bike for your wives. I know its not across the board, its just the feeling I was getting. I love the bike so much, I am just irked by the limited wheel availability (ie all I can buy are cruiser/standard tires. Dual sport or adventure tires will require some creativity)

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2013, 09:00:27 PM »
Honestly I didn't think the Breva looked feminine. But you have to admit, most of the posts on here concerning the Breva 750 involve the words "my wife's bike" which always makes me feel like you longterm guzzi fans only bought the bike for your wives. I know its not across the board, its just the feeling I was getting. I love the bike so much, I am just irked by the limited wheel availability (ie all I can buy are cruiser/standard tires. Dual sport or adventure tires will require some creativity)

It's because of two reasons.

Size (physically as well as well as motor)

and to some extent cost.

Both make it appealing to women who tend to be smaller in stature and/or newer to motorcycling than the average male rider.

It is what makes the same appeal and associations true with Sportsters, Bonnies, 600's series Monsters, etc.

But that doesn't make those bikes any less wonderful. They are smaller, lighter, cheaper, and more efficient than their larger counterparts. Those that see that enjoy all those attributes and a certain minimalist freedom. Not to mention the fun of riding a slow bike fast.

Conversely way too many guys are overly concerned with the inadequacies of their package and think that means they need to buy a "bigger" or more powerful bike, overlooking those pearls because other overcompensating morons can't see past those associations.

You gotta ask yourself, which are you...

...me? I sold two big blocks to buy one smallblock.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

schadeam

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2013, 09:19:50 PM »
It's because of two reasons.

Size (physically as well as well as motor)

and to some extent cost.

Both make it appealing to women who tend to be smaller in stature and/or newer to motorcycling than the average male rider.

It is what makes the same appeal and associations true with Sportsters, Bonnies, 600's series Monsters, etc.

But that doesn't make those bikes any less wonderful. They are smaller, lighter, cheaper, and more efficient than their larger counterparts. Those that see that enjoy all those attributes and a certain minimalist freedom. Not to mention the fun of riding a slow bike fast.

Conversely way too many guys are overly concerned with the inadequacies of their package and think that means they need to buy a "bigger" or more powerful bike, overlooking those pearls because other overcompensating morons can't see past those associations.

You gotta ask yourself, which are you...

...me? I sold two big blocks to buy one smallblock.

I love the bike, I love the size of the engine. I love the feel of it. I don't want bigger, I don't want (what the poster a few comments above was describing) a cafe racer because of power or speed. I just want the aesthetics of a larger rear wheel, and no back seat as I don't ride 2up on the bike. :D Hoping someone can steer me in the right direction when it comes to upgrading to a more aggressive tire, and what parts might be interchangeable from the more cafe looking Guzzi's. I already noted the resources from earlier.

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Re: Breva 750 Cafe Racer
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2013, 09:45:17 PM »
Well, aesthetically it MIGHT be easier to start with a V7, but that's your call.

What changes are you thinking?

As for tires, I suspect you'd be happy with Pirelli Sport Demons.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

schadeam

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2013, 10:53:06 PM »
I have the sport demons on now. I was thinking something with more tread like these shinko's http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1103/-/830809/130-80-17-%2865H%29-Shinko-705-Rear-Dual-Sport-Motorcycle-Tire?v=11444?ref=gmc&gclid=COKf5-jMz7sCFatxQgodamkAPQ

They are 17", but unsure if it would make clearance with the final drive, and i'd have a hard time finding a good match for a front 17" tire.....

I was thinking of leaving the tank as is, but making a base along the bottom where the stock seat presses up against the tank so that I can put in an aftermarket flat seat. I also am currently making a tank strap similar to this: http://www.autoevolution.com/news-g-image/2013-moto-guzzi-v7-racer-makes-it-to-canada-photo-gallery/88403.html

I was thinking of putting on dunstall exhausts, and changing the handle bars to something more linear like this: http://www.daranok.com/32-stunning-cafe-racer-bike-with-cool-handlebars/vintage-honda-cb750-cafe-racer-with-cool-handle-bar-and-retro-speedo-meter/ 

Any other ideas, or will any of that not work? The tires worry me the most....

Offline Pfaff!

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Lasciate ogni speranza voi ch'entrate"
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2013, 08:28:12 AM »

The Protectors of the Baby Breva would ask that you start on a V7 though. ;)

-Joe

Ohh yes they will!  :wife:

Moreover, it is difficult to imagine the flood of unhappiness and misery that will befall you if you change the looks of a Breva! :+=copcar
Anders Holt

Breva V 750 ie "Rossinante" '03. Running fine ever since. Sold.
Pushing bikes these days.

"El camino amigo, el camino y nada mas"

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2013, 08:48:49 AM »
I have the sport demons on now. I was thinking something with more tread like these shinko's http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1103/-/830809/130-80-17-%2865H%29-Shinko-705-Rear-Dual-Sport-Motorcycle-Tire?v=11444?ref=gmc&gclid=COKf5-jMz7sCFatxQgodamkAPQ

They are 17", but unsure if it would make clearance with the final drive, and i'd have a hard time finding a good match for a front 17" tire.....

Any other ideas, or will any of that not work? The tires worry me the most....

Can't say on the tires. Honestly it's not my bike or taste, but that type of tread pattern says dual sport to me and NOT Café.

Best to see if you can find a set and measure them for any possible clearance issues.

I do also think you're gonna give up some handling with them.

Other ideas - well, if you're talking café you really need to think about rear sets and clip ons, maybe clean up the dash area too.

Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2013, 09:39:11 AM »
I'd be interested in the buying Breva 750 wheels.

KevM is giving you good information on what general areas may need attention without directing you what to use or how to do it and that is a good thing! Remember its your project so whatever you like is what counts.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 09:49:04 AM by Perazzimx14 »
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Oca

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2013, 09:47:49 AM »
lol simmering = something :D

Actually, simmering works quite nicely. 
Santa Rosa Valley, CA
'06 -- 1100 Breva -- GONE
'12 -- Stelvio NTX 1200 (burnt orange) -- GONE
'14 -- Griso 1200 SE

oceanluvr

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2013, 09:55:35 AM »
To me, the Breva is perfect in so many ways....messsing with it is like taking a great dish of Spaghetti aglio e olio and adding meatballs or some other ingredient.  Nothing wrong with meatballs but....do they go with Spaghetti aglio e olio  :food

lemans1000

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2013, 10:20:06 AM »
But yet half of you would buy the Enfield GT ........geesh ::) ::) :BEER:
Thank God that I'm not in that half...

Andrew Thomas Evans

« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2013, 10:30:29 AM »
No, the basic idea of a café racer was to transform something with little speed and power into simmering with a bit of both, but only at the cost of being at that rabid edge of what is possible from the meager chassis/platform.

Always thought it was either to take some junk off and make the bike a bit faster, or more of a styling exercise like a chopper was...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caf%C3%A9_racer

Seems this is fitting - "In 1973, Popular Mechanics said the term Café Racer was originally coined as an insult toward riders pretending to be road racers but instead only parked outside cafés.[11]"

;-T

Anyway, and I don't really care if Guzzi looses a "stock" bike, but I feel there are much better platforms that will provide more success with a cafe look than what the OP has. However, if that's what he has then that's what he has to deal with. His bike, his choices.

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2013, 10:49:20 AM »
Chop it and have fun.  Make it yours and enjoy some creativity.  Life is too short to simply sit your arse on something others tell you to leave alone because they own one and like it stock.  It's got little value as a stocker and it aint a collector bike.  I owned one!  I'm doing the same to a Lario after increasing it's nads a bit.  It's no longer stock and I want to keep it for a long time, so I'm going to have a little fun this winter. 
Go for it!
Best.
-Kevin
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Andrew Thomas Evans

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2013, 10:59:54 AM »
Chop it and have fun.  Make it yours and enjoy some creativity.  Life is too short to simply sit your arse on something others tell you to leave alone because they own one and like it stock.  It's got little value as a stocker and it aint a collector bike.  I owned one!  I'm doing the same to a Lario after increasing it's nads a bit.  It's no longer stock and I want to keep it for a long time, so I'm going to have a little fun this winter. 
Go for it!
Best.
-Kevin

I get a kick out of this forum... We love a cafe bike, but only when it's done to the right models or done by the "right" people. We love a project done with a convert but only done by the right people or else those bikes are rare and should be preserved. We love to say "these should be worth more" but yet scoff and complain at the prices to buy "junk" as the bikes gain worth...

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=66742.msg1025904#msg1025904

- We have one crowd who thinks these bikes are valuable.
- One that tried to make an offer on an already low price.
- One who likes seeing low prices vs these actually being worth something.
- And my group who thinks these bikes are ugly and it would be a service to remove them from the streets.

Offline Unkept

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2013, 03:38:28 PM »
It is your bike, we can't stop you from doing anything to it... some may try though.  ;)

Rearsets and clip ons might be cool looking. I wonder if the V7 Racer rear-sets would work without too much fuss.

I often go to Harper's website and peruse the parts catalog to compare frame designs and more between models, to look for ideas and interchangeability.

-Joe

biking sailor

« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2013, 04:07:12 PM »
Shorty posted a Craigslist ad for a cheap stock Yamaha SR500.  That would be a good candidate.

The Breva 750 does not seem like a good start for a cafe' racer to me, but I could see it customized a bit, clip-ons or drag bars, fender eliminator or removed altogether, rear sets, cafe' seat, drop the headlight and flatten the dash out. 

If real serious, replace the tank, loose the air box and relocate the battery, along with a bunch of other changes.  Your taste and budget are the only limiting factors.

Regarding "girls" bike.  I kind of liked ours when it had stock bars, but the wife changed to bars more comfortable to her and now the bike seems way to cramped for me.  Also I'm not a fan of the seat shape, but Debra can ride it all day and still want more.  She thinks it's the most comfortable bike, ergos wise, she has ever ridden.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here