Author Topic: Headed to Italy in March  (Read 2056 times)

Online Anomaly

• Gosling
  • Location: Southern Tuscany (mostly), Rhode Island (sometimes)
Re: Headed to Italy in March
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2022, 04:50:43 PM »
I'm in Italy now, came in late November. Before that I made trips here in October and June. My experiences are both different and similar to what has been written by others above. --related travel rules are changing all the time. For example, on one trip earlier in 2021, I had to take a - test (at that time a PCR-- but read on about PCR vs antigen tests) within 48 hours of departure (JFK) and then had to take a rapid (antigen) test immediately (before Customs and passport control) in a special portion of the Fumicino (Rome) airport. Lately, I have only been taking the rapid tests on both ends (i.e., before departing the US and before departing from Rome). I think the best advice is to check with both the particular airline you are flying on and with the Italian ministry of health. I have had numerous people at testing sites in the US tell me that I HAD to have a PCR test, not the rapid test but that simply hasn't been true according to Alitalia (now out of business and reformed as ITA) and the Italian government. Early in the - timeline, I did have to have PCR tests and this was problematic because (at that time) they required the test to be within 48 hours of departure and the turn around time for getting PCR results is advertised as being 48 hours--- makes for some stressful travel... However, lately the window has been 72 hours AND the rapid test has been accepted. But, note that I have not traveled since the Omicron variant has exploded-- rules are changing all the time. Rome has very good rapid testing at pharmacies throughout the city-- some require appointments, some take walk-ups (20 euros for those without an Italian health card).

Regarding the personal locator form (PLF), that is an EU requirement (not Italian) and it is a royal PITA-- don't be like me (once) and try ti fill it out at the airport prior to departure-- it is a maddening form with a cumbersome interface. Do it in advance. I have never carried a paper copy-- just had the QR code from my completed form on my cell-phone. You can't board the plane (at least on Alitalia/ITA) without it

Regarding food, someone mentioned the SlowFood seal/symbol of the snail-- good tip. Even better is to get a copy of the Osteria Guide published by Slow Food. We keep a paper copy in our car and make frequent use of it when just wandering on new roads/visiting new towns. Only problem is most years editions seem to be only published in Italian. There is an app for cell phones that MAY offer English (I don't have the app so cant tell for sure):
https://www.slowfoodeditore.it/it/app-iphone/osterie-d-italia-2022-app-818.html

But, even without the guide, there are so many good places to eat (two of our favorites are associated with local gas stations (not the AutoGrilles on the freeways).

Have fun (a week is too short for Rome/Florence/Venice....)

1981 T3 California, 1983 Piaggio Apecar P2
Sold: 98 BMW F650, 2012 v7 Classic

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2022, 06:19:11 PM »
I'm in Italy now, came in late November. Before that I made trips here in October and June. My experiences are both different and similar to what has been written by others above. --related travel rules are changing all the time.

Do you have an Italian digital Green Pass for entry into public buildings, restaurants etc or is your CDC vaccination card still being accepted?  That would be very interesting to know for any Americans inbound to Italy.

In other countries it is now illegal to accept the CDC paper vaccination certificate, Switzerland is an example.  In the Swiss case in addition to whatever procedure is required for entry to the country, for a vaccination passport you have to apply online to the particular canton that you plan to visit first.  They review your existing vaccination document and if they like it they apparently send you a Swiss vaccination certificate with a QR code that can be read by their phone app and used Europe wide.  I say 'apparently' because I haven't done it.

Regarding the personal locator form (PLF), that is an EU requirement (not Italian) and it is a royal PITA

Its certainly a PITA and it is a product of the EU Government, but EU has no overarching authority in this instance and the EU PLF procedure has only been adopted by four countries: Italy, Malta, France and Slovenia.

If you enter the EU from the US via a country other than those four there will be other burdensome submittals and procedures, but not that particular one  :grin:  Then if you enter Italy by road (i.e. on your motorcycle) you are supposed to have done the Italian PLF, each country has its own independent rules and procedures, but OTOH there are thousands of people driving across the borders daily without enforcement.  I personally wouldn't bother with it again if crossing from Austria on the road.

After my last bike trip in September I'm not planning any trips to Europe for the moment.  My bike trips tend to be in three to five countries, each with independent and changing procedures and limitations currently, and I'm hoping this stuff calms down at some point.  Also that my motorcycle will still be there and intact when I return.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 07:02:40 PM by Tusayan »

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2022, 09:14:04 PM »

each with independent and changing procedures and limitations currently, and I'm hoping this stuff calms down at some point.  Also that my motorcycle will still be there and intact when I return.

Therein lies the problem for me.  Don't feel comfortable going it alone, (and my wife wouldn't want me to go it alone) and my ridding buddy absolutely despises government bureaucracy, no matter what flag it's under.  Doubt he's going to be willing to do more than show his passport.   I've still got some time, but unless things lighten up considerably by September 2022, I'd guess I'm out.  Bureaucratic controls, once intrenched, seldom just disappear.

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2022, 11:42:39 PM »
Rome, Florence and Venice……nothing much to see in those towns, head to Mandello, nice little motorcycle museum there, one could spend days admiring some fine Italian engineering, if you get bored Ducati and Ferrari aren’t too far away, then you will have seen all of Italy 😉
48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2022, 11:42:39 PM »

Online Anomaly

• Gosling
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2022, 02:54:58 AM »
Do you have an Italian digital Green Pass for entry into public buildings, restaurants etc or is your CDC vaccination card still being accepted?  That would be very interesting to know for any Americans inbound to Italy.

I do not have a Green Pass. So far, I have been able to just show my two CDC cards (one for the initial dose and one for the booster-- I had Johnson so just two doses--- so far....). BUT (1) we live in a very rural, off the beaten path, place and they have only started checking for Green Passes recently. (2) we rarely (almost never) attempt to remain inside (indoors) anywhere longer than just ordering our food/drink and then take it outside. You are allowed (apparently) to enter and order without showing a Green Pass. (3) There are hardly any Americans in the surrounding area, so no one is really familiar with the CDC cards and they just shrug when I show them and then turn to reading my wife's QR code (from her French Green Pass) with their tablets. (4) All this could change and I suspect that if you are trying to go to the more  heavily populated (in terms of tourists) places, that it will involve more red tape.

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2022, 07:47:27 AM »
I do not have a Green Pass. So far, I have been able to just show my two CDC cards (one for the initial dose and one for the booster-- I had Johnson so just two doses--- so far....). BUT (1) we live in a very rural, off the beaten path, place and they have only started checking for Green Passes recently. (2) we rarely (almost never) attempt to remain inside (indoors) anywhere longer than just ordering our food/drink and then take it outside. You are allowed (apparently) to enter and order without showing a Green Pass. (3) There are hardly any Americans in the surrounding area, so no one is really familiar with the CDC cards and they just shrug when I show them and then turn to reading my wife's QR code (from her French Green Pass) with their tablets. (4) All this could change and I suspect that if you are trying to go to the more  heavily populated (in terms of tourists) places, that it will involve more red tape.
Are you in Italy for work or leisure? 

Online Anomaly

• Gosling
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2022, 08:19:49 AM »
Are you in Italy for work or leisure?

Leisure. In the process of retiring, moving here full-time. My wife is French, but has lived and worked in Italy for the last 15 years and she prefers living here. I like it too. :grin:

Offline Beowulf

• Gosling
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2022, 09:52:26 AM »
Rome, Florence and Venice……nothing much to see in those towns, head to Mandello, nice little motorcycle museum there, one could spend days admiring some fine Italian engineering, if you get bored Ducati and Ferrari aren’t too far away, then you will have seen all of Italy 😉

If I get a chance I’d love too that. But I think I’m gonna be busy with seeing the above mentioned places. Appreciate all the tips this post has proved more entertaining than expected.

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2022, 11:55:16 AM »
@Anomaly, thanks much for the detailed info on current Green Pass practice in Italy.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 11:56:53 AM by Tusayan »

Offline garbln

• Hatchling
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2022, 12:44:34 PM »
Italy, the land of no bad food.  Drink the local wine with the local food, you can't go wrong.

Offline erice

• New Egg
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2022, 10:36:18 AM »
My wife and I moved to Italy two years ago. Not in the areas you're visiting though, we split our time between Milano and South Sardinia.

I would recommend taking a high-speed train between Rome and the other locations. Fast and convenient. You can buy tickets online (Italo is one service, but there are several high-speed services, such as Freccia Rossa), so language won't be an issue. I've taken the train from Milano to Rome and back in a day, with meetings in Rome for lunch. The train travels at up to 300 kph, so it's even faster than a Guzzi!

You need a Green Pass for restaurants and trains, so you really need to nail that down before you arrive or you may be stuck in Italian bureaucracy (which is the centre circle of hell).

A week is not a lot, especially with jet lag, so planning is critical to make sure you cover the things you want to see.

Eric
2021 V85TT Centenario
2014 Stelvio NTX (sold)
2013 Stelvio NTX (sold)
2013 V7 Stone (sold)
2007 Griso 1100 (sold)

Online Anomaly

• Gosling
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2022, 02:19:56 PM »
You need a Green Pass for restaurants and trains, so you really need to nail that down before you arrive or you may be stuck in Italian bureaucracy (which is the centre circle of hell).

This is interesting-- yesterday, I checked the website of the US Consulate in Florence and they were saying the US CDC cards (showing vaccination and boosters) was accepted in lieu of the Green Card. Of course, they also said to check with the Italian ministry of health whose webpage is sometimes very difficult to understand (I couldn't find a reference to whether CDC cards were or were not acceptable). In my area (southern Tuscany-- and rural), the CDC cards have been accepted. But, we don't try to do much indoors...

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2022, 09:31:38 PM »
This is a a great thread.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline erice

• New Egg
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2022, 04:50:56 AM »
The other thing to remember is that you may have requirements on the way home, beyond a Green Pass. Depending on the country you are transiting through or going to, you may also need to have a very recent test before being able to board a plane or on arrival at customs.

This is not consistent by country, and nearly wrecked our trip to Canada last year, when it turned out the Canadians had a different test requirement that the British (we transited through London).

Fortunately the airline agents didn't know the difference between PCR and RAT tests either, so we were able to get to Canada, and were able to deal with it there by taking another test.

Pain in the ass, but such is the world of travel today. Ever-changing requirements, which are never clear to anyone.

If you need to take a - test before your return flight, you should find a testing center with enough advance notice for they type of test you will need.
2021 V85TT Centenario
2014 Stelvio NTX (sold)
2013 Stelvio NTX (sold)
2013 V7 Stone (sold)
2007 Griso 1100 (sold)

Offline Beowulf

• Gosling
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2022, 06:49:00 AM »
The other thing to remember is that you may have requirements on the way home, beyond a Green Pass. Depending on the country you are transiting through or going to, you may also need to have a very recent test before being able to board a plane or on arrival at customs.

This is not consistent by country, and nearly wrecked our trip to Canada last year, when it turned out the Canadians had a different test requirement that the British (we transited through London).

Fortunately the airline agents didn't know the difference between PCR and RAT tests either, so we were able to get to Canada, and were able to deal with it there by taking another test.

Pain in the ass, but such is the world of travel today. Ever-changing requirements, which are never clear to anyone.

If you need to take a - test before your return flight, you should find a testing center with enough advance notice for they type of test you will need.

My social Secretary ( wife that hasn’t killed me yet) has worked out when you test and everything so I’m glad for that but do agree it’s a pain. I’ve been enjoying this thread.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here