Author Topic: Brake pads  (Read 584 times)

Offline Milosh

• Hatchling
Brake pads
« on: August 02, 2022, 11:05:05 AM »
I've got a couple few thousand miles on my V9 Bobber and the brakes, when new, were great. (Also, I brake with the fronts 90% of the time)

They're getting a bit less bite than they used to, so I'm thinking to upgrade the pads. Has anyone else done this? Any suggestions?

Thanks.
___________________ ___________________ __
“An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered.” – G.K. Chesterton

Offline mechanicsavant

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Brake pads
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2022, 12:50:44 PM »
Have ya tried cleaning them ? A few thousand miles ain’t much but w/heavy use ! I changed over to EBC HH rated pads on my V7’s @ about 6K mi. & take the pads out & clean everything @ oil change time (5k miles approximately) . It usually takes about 50 Mi. To settle back in . Then its a 2 finger affair mostly . 3 when loaded , me +50kg camping gear , I’m banging on the 100 kg door .

Offline Milosh

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2022, 07:23:46 PM »
Do you just take 'em out and spray brake cleaner on 'em?
___________________ ___________________ __
“An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered.” – G.K. Chesterton

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2022, 08:18:04 PM »
+1 on the cleaning advice, but when you are ready to replace the pads, EBC HH pads are the way to go. Much better initial bite, and fade resistance. I found the V7ii single disc of the Stornello fine, but lacked the bite of all my other double disc setups. The HH pads were a big improvement.
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2022, 08:18:04 PM »

Offline Bull Tahr

• New Egg
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2022, 02:47:42 AM »
Do you just take 'em out and spray brake cleaner on 'em?

Pop them out, caliper off, soapy water and old toothbrush for the calipers, brake kleen and rag for the pads...... Check fluid level in reservoir and you good to go. the EBC pads are great if you need to replace them. I did a video on replacing front pads on my Multistrada. Easy job.
https://youtu.be/KZSqoz937mE
Utrinque Paratus

On the Face: Dusty Visor Motorcycles

Offline mechanicsavant

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2022, 09:49:23 PM »
What Bull Tahr said + I give the pads a quick sanding ,just a few strokes on a piece of sandpaper that’s on a flat surface , I put the sandpaper on an old kitchen cutting board give the pad a few , maybe 6 strokes then brakeen them & reinstall once dry

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here