Author Topic: Husqvarna Svartpilen 401  (Read 1349 times)

Online tommy2cyl

• Gosling
Husqvarna Svartpilen 401
« on: February 02, 2023, 08:57:37 AM »
It's winter.  We think about stuff when we can't ride.  I really don't need another motorcycle, as all my riding needs are met, well, pretty much.
I don't think I could resist a Fantic Caballero 500 Rally if the brand was in the US.  Ticks a lot of boxes and I have never owned a scrambler and
right now that seems like a perfect bike to me.  Anyway, I have revisited the Svartpilen 401.  I know it is not a proper scrambler with low ground
clearance and modest suspension travel, but with a 44 HP thumper and 335 lbs wet, and pretty good spec with forks, brakes, RBW throttle, ABS it is
pretty well kitted out.  Basically a KTM 390 Duke Husky variation.  The aesthetics with the chopped tail is still not my aesthetic, but I am
"coming around" to the design.  Overall I do really like how it is a basic motorcycle and reading owners reviews handles razor sharp and just looks fun.
Any one ridden or owned one or is it just a bridge too far?  Input appreciated, I still have a solid 6 weeks of winter and I am on the ledge.

Online pressureangle

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '97 1100 Sport i, '89 Mille GT
Re: Husqvarna Svartpilen 401
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2023, 10:02:33 AM »
My son has one, it's simply a hoot. I've not taken it off pavement but for 'city' work it's pretty faultless. Also fairly expensive.
Something wistful and amusing, yet poignant.

Offline LaGrasta

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2023, 10:18:25 AM »
I'm certainly a fan, of both its style and performance. One thing I've learned over the years, it far more fun to ride a slower bike fast. .…and a lot cheaper too.
I have a 2014 dual sport KLX250 with 7k dirt riding on the clock, always thought I'd upgrade. However I found it's so fun to down-shift and full throttle, with no fear of looping. It's fast enpought ot be fun, slower enough to be safe.
You can buy style, but you have to build character.

'10 Moto Guzzi V7 Cafe Classic
'03 Moto Guzzi VII Sport
'14 Kawasaki KLX250S
'89 Honda GB500tt
'82 Honda GL500 bobber
…and two step-through scooters too.

Offline usedtobefast

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2023, 10:24:37 AM »
I agree on that Fantic!  I spent a bit of time figuring out how to get one into the US, but gave up as I did not see any legal or even semi legal way of doing it.

For the Husky, I just can't click with the looks.  I thought maybe seeing one in person would help, but nope, just don't understand what they were trying to do design wise.  Spec wise it sounds good.

For some dirt road riding, the KTM 390 Adventure makes more sense, but yes heavier and more expensive than the SmartVillain. 

Have you looked at the Benelli Leoncino Scrambler?  More like the Fantic. 

2017 V7 iii Racer
2017 Griso
2016 Stornello
2000 Red Quota
Want a black/green 1000S big valve :)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2023, 10:24:37 AM »

Online tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2023, 11:23:31 AM »
I'll take the 701 Svartpilen ! (R.I.P.)
Looks fantastic, nothing like it.
If not for the GRiSO, I'd be all over one!

Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

guido guzzi

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2023, 01:55:16 PM »
Scout63 has one - not sure what size...

Offline Brand X

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2023, 02:04:43 PM »
I really liked my second gen KTM duke 390.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2023, 02:25:36 PM »
Svartpilen…
‘Sounds like a tablet you’d take for abdominal gas..!

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2023, 02:51:34 PM »
Svartpilen…
‘Sounds like a tablet you’d take for abdominal gas..!

:laugh: :grin: :kiss: - FART Proudly!! - - Svartpilen...aka..."The Black Arrow" :wink: :thumb: :bow: :cool: :boozing:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Online Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2023, 09:21:35 PM »
https://youtu.be/1vK-93On20U

I bought a low mileage 2019 Vitpilen 701 last year. This is a YouTube clip of it idling at work the other day.   I was taken with the styling and already loved the same engine in the KTM 690 Enduro R.  I am not disappointed. It has plenty of power for me, is comfortable and handles great no matter the speed. I’ll bet the Svartpilen 401 is a great bike also, and the price point better than the 701.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Online SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2023, 12:21:23 AM »
I agree on that Fantic!  I spent a bit of time figuring out how to get one into the US, but gave up as I did not see any legal or even semi legal way of doing it.

For the Husky, I just can't click with the looks.  I thought maybe seeing one in person would help, but nope, just don't understand what they were trying to do design wise.  Spec wise it sounds good.

For some dirt road riding, the KTM 390 Adventure makes more sense, but yes heavier and more expensive than the SmartVillain. 

Have you looked at the Benelli Leoncino Scrambler?  More like the Fantic.

One of the locals owns one.  He likes it a lot.  It is available in the US, maybe it is not available in California?
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Online tommy2cyl

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2023, 04:08:00 AM »

One of the locals owns one.  He likes it a lot.  It is available in the US, maybe it is not available in California?

I have a friend who lives in Colorado & I showed him the Caballero 500.  He was smitten as well & just contacted the USA Fantic Headquarters located in Colorado. He inquired as to when their motorcycles might be available in the US and their reply was "maybe, hopefully, possibly in the future sometime."  Fantic E bicycles are available here.  So to clarify, "One of the locals owns one.  He likes it a lot"  Are you referencing Benelli Leoncino 500?
Those bikes are available in US and I have a relatively close local dealer.  But for all the inquiring I have done, Fantic motorcycles are not available in the USA.
Thanks.

Offline Guzikid

• Gosling
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2023, 09:08:16 PM »
  The 401 Svartpilen is crazy fun to ride and should be against the law to own !  I've had one for over a year.  It's easy to service and gets great gas mileage at 62 mpg.  Funny thing is you really don't have to run the RPM's up to have a blast on it. I go to my local KTM dealer for parts and basic necessities as my Husqvarna dealer is 2 hrs away. Most parts aren't that expensive either. With total suspension adjustments front and rear, dialing the ride in for your needs isn't hard.  I plan to replace the tires soon with something more street biased.  The stock tires are surprisingly good and do help give it that "street scrambler" look.  I don't ride that much off road anymore too.  I know everyone is always saying how neat it looks and especially.....get this....asks, What is that and where's it made ?  When I say it's a Husqvarna they say "Really"? I didn't know they made street bikes ! It's a quality made motorcycle for sure. And I always have a big smile on my face while running around on it !  :thumb:  The Kid

Online tommy2cyl

• Gosling
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2023, 10:27:21 PM »
It is February 3 rd & 19 degrees.  I called and talked to a dealer today.  Spent most of the day surfing the internet, watching YoutTube 401 videos & writing notes.  Then I typed up some of the notes and am starting a 3 ring notebook.  It is never good when I actually start organizing and typing notes.

Online SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2023, 08:27:51 AM »
I have a friend who lives in Colorado & I showed him the Caballero 500.  He was smitten as well & just contacted the USA Fantic Headquarters located in Colorado. He inquired as to when their motorcycles might be available in the US and their reply was "maybe, hopefully, possibly in the future sometime."  Fantic E bicycles are available here.  So to clarify, "One of the locals owns one.  He likes it a lot"  Are you referencing Benelli Leoncino 500?
Those bikes are available in US and I have a relatively close local dealer.  But for all the inquiring I have done, Fantic motorcycles are not available in the USA.
Thanks.

I meant one of the locals owns a Svartpilen 401.  I never asked if it was a grey market import.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 08:31:38 AM by SIR REAL ED »
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Online SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2023, 08:34:40 AM »
It is February 3 rd & 19 degrees.  I called and talked to a dealer today.  Spent most of the day surfing the internet, watching YoutTube 401 videos & writing notes.  Then I typed up some of the notes and am starting a 3 ring notebook.  It is never good when I actually start organizing and typing notes.

Life is short.  Go for it!

With everything going on in the world today, you might not be able to buy a gas engined motorcycle in a year or two.

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Online Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2023, 05:07:51 PM »
+1 on pulling the trigger. It’s just one of those bikes.

Online tommy2cyl

• Gosling
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2023, 05:40:57 PM »
Life is short.  Go for it!

With everything going on in the world today, you might not be able to buy a gas engined motorcycle in a year or two.
+1 on pulling the trigger. It’s just one of those bikes.

Thanks guys.  Appreciate the feedback.   Already found rear & side rack choices and Q Bag Oval 20 Liter panniers ($81.99) option online and a few other farkels.   I was surprised to find as much aftermarket products out there as I did.  Prices to kit it out are also pretty reasonable.  I know that 701 has got
to be big fun and it only weighs 20 lbs or so more than the 401 I think so there is that dilemma.  But I think I am going to stay with the little guy if I make the move.  Seems to be where my head is at the moment.......but I could be swayed.    :thumb:

Online SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2023, 08:05:39 PM »
Thanks guys.  Appreciate the feedback.   Already found rear & side rack choices and Q Bag Oval 20 Liter panniers ($81.99) option online and a few other farkels.   I was surprised to find as much aftermarket products out there as I did.  Prices to kit it out are also pretty reasonable.  I know that 701 has got
to be big fun and it only weighs 20 lbs or so more than the 401 I think so there is that dilemma.  But I think I am going to stay with the little guy if I make the move.  Seems to be where my head is at the moment.......but I could be swayed.    :thumb:

If price is not a big concern, the 401 vs. the 701 dilemma will become a no-brainer once you ride both.

If you ride the 401 first "Gee, this is a really nice bike1"
When you ride the 701 next "HOLY @#$%&*! THIS THING IS A MONSTER!  WHAT A HOOT!"

If you ride the 701 first: "HOLY @#$%&*! THIS THING IS A MONSTER!  WHAT A HOOT!"
If you ride the 401 next: "What the heck?  Where's the power?  I twist the throttle and it feels bland!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Online Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2023, 08:29:38 PM »

The 701 isn’t made anymore, so you have to look around for a good used one.  I had to ship a used one to the east coast from Illinois. I’m not a fast rider but I really wanted the 693 motor. Then again I’m on the large side. In boats, I’ve always felt that if there is a choice, get the largest engine rated for the hull.

Online tommy2cyl

• Gosling
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2023, 10:19:43 PM »
The 701 isn’t made anymore, so you have to look around for a good used one.  I had to ship a used one to the east coast from Illinois. I’m not a fast rider but I really wanted the 693 motor. Then again I’m on the large side. In boats, I’ve always felt that if there is a choice, get the largest engine rated for the hull.

Hey Scout 63: Quick question on the 701.  The rear side panel, does that just have bolts to unscrew to remove?  I see some photos of bikes without it, and some with it only on the right side.  Is its purpose to support a saddlebag and why is it only on one side?  Thanks

Online Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2023, 07:05:12 AM »
I’ll take a look and report when I get home tomorrow. Here is a shot of what I thin’ are the parts.  It looks as if the panels are the rear subframe.

Offline 9fingers

• Gosling
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2023, 07:11:57 AM »
I too like that Fantic. Too bad they are not bringing them in. The Husky design does not thrill me. JMO
Scott
Current bikes:
V7 III Special - Sophia
Royal Enfield Classic Chrome 500 Bullet - Guinevere
Suzuki V Strom 650 - Rita
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL250 custom
Honda TL125
Yamaha TY350

Online tommy2cyl

• Gosling
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2023, 07:58:13 AM »
I’ll take a look and report when I get home tomorrow. Here is a shot of what I thin’ are the parts.  It looks as if the panels are the rear subframe.

Thanks.  I see some bikes with no panel back there, but the ones that do are on the right side only.  I just am confused of it's purpose and apparently many have removed it I guess.  From best I can tell it looks like a separate panel.

I too like that Fantic. Too bad they are not bringing them in. The Husky design does not thrill me. JMO
Scott

Yup,  I agree.  The Caballero 500 is just spot on for a scrambler.     My current search started after KTM officially shelved their plans about 10 days ago for the 490 twin that they were going to build for the last 3 or so years that I have been waiting on.   I, like many others, was hoping for the Unicorn.  So, with choice
#1 not going to be built (KTM 490) I altered my type of bike to choice  to #2 (Fantic Cab 500) which is unobtainable in the US.  So, now modifying my want again, I am looking at what might be a lightweight backroads, mild off road,  go out and have fun for the day bike. This is what has led me to the 401 Husky. I bought my V 85 in July 2019 which is my long haul "big bike". I am looking for something to slot in underneath it and now the 401 has moved to the forefront.
Fortunate to have it as an option that is actually built and available. :boozing:

Online tommy2cyl

• Gosling
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2023, 08:11:47 AM »
........ and 701.  Not making the 701 anymore but there are some out there in the used market for sale. 

Offline usedtobefast

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2023, 10:16:52 AM »
A couple of other thoughts

... what about a Duke 690?  The 2016-2018 have the dual counter balancer motor ... 327 lbs dry, 73 HP, made in Austria (SV 401 made in India, 701 made in Austria).  Totally different look/style, but lots more on the used market than a SV 701

... and for a sensible option, what about a Honda CB500X?  2022 it got some nice updates.

Or we get a UK buddy to buy a few Fantic Caballero 500 Rally's and crate them up and ship them to the USA, "Motorcycle Parts" stamped all over the place.  I'd like the green one please.   :laugh:

2017 V7 iii Racer
2017 Griso
2016 Stornello
2000 Red Quota
Want a black/green 1000S big valve :)

Offline Seventy One

• Hatchling
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2023, 10:51:39 AM »
My friends have a 401 and a 701. They both seem to really like them but they have mentioned that the power is somewhat lacking on the 401. They are looking into the various options for it...chips, exhaust, etc. She traded her '09 Daytona for it while he traded his Ducati Sport Classic for his.

Online tommy2cyl

• Gosling
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2023, 04:09:23 PM »
A couple of other thoughts

... what about a Duke 690?  The 2016-2018 have the dual counter balancer motor ... 327 lbs dry, 73 HP, made in Austria (SV 401 made in India, 701 made in Austria).  Totally different look/style, but lots more on the used market than a SV 701

... and for a sensible option, what about a Honda CB500X?  2022 it got some nice updates.

Or we get a UK buddy to buy a few Fantic Caballero 500 Rally's and crate them up and ship them to the USA, "Motorcycle Parts" stamped all over the place.  I'd like the green one please.   :laugh:

Took a 50 mile ride on the V 85 today.  Got up to 48 degrees here in Ohio so needed to have a little fun. Then I started researching that 690 motor and all of it's development starting with 620 cc in 1994.  I like the long development of that design and being produced in Austria.  That's a plus.  Then I remembered that my pal in Florida had a Duke SM so I was picking his brain on that bike which I rode once for a short hop many years ago.  He loved that bike and regrets selling it and is encouraging me to pursue a Duke.   So, funny when I read your post because I was researching the motor and your info on the 2016-2018 is good to know.  The problem I have with the Honda is that at 445 lbs wet, seems a little heavy for 47 HP.   A 690 Duke at 350 lbs curb weight and 74 HP makes me grin just typing this.   I really like your plan on shipping the Fantics over.  It could work.  I have shared a link of that bike with two of my friends and they are in.  Everybody wants the green one.  Maybe we could get a bulk discount on 10 of them in green.

My friends have a 401 and a 701. They both seem to really like them but they have mentioned that the power is somewhat lacking on the 401. They are looking into the various options for it...chips, exhaust, etc. She traded her '09 Daytona for it while he traded his Ducati Sport Classic for his.

Interesting friend trade ins, especially the Ducati.   So I am not familiar, but watched/read that Coober makes an ECU Power Commander Unit and cat delete pipe.  You also need to install a Competition Works Chamber Release.  Also a DNA air box filter but can only use with the the Coober ECU in place I guess.  For what it's worth. 

Online spmoto

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2023, 04:34:57 PM »
Just out of curiosity, I'm wondering why there's been no mention of the Ducati scramblers? Not singles? Too heavy? Other?

Online SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2023, 06:10:40 PM »

That would have been my assumption with the 401.  IMO a Suzuki DRZ400 feels a bit weak on the street.  A Suzuki DR650 with almost exactly the same HP output, but a LOT more torque feels quite powerful in comparison the the DRZ400.

The Duke 690, with twice the HP of the DR650 and no doubt a lot more torque is a whole different experience.

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here