Author Topic: Beetle Map in the Cali 1400  (Read 1499 times)

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
Beetle Map in the Cali 1400
« on: December 10, 2018, 01:37:08 PM »
Recently, I approached Beetle (www.Griso.org) asking if he could offer any improvement for the stock map in my Cali 1400 Custom.  My Cali was stock except for Mistral mufflers.  There was a bit of popping on overrun, and a slight dead spot just above idle.  Nothing serious, but a little annoying.  The Griso.org website didn't offer anything for the Cali 1400, but this didn't stop me asking.

Mark replied with a map to download, but after downloading I suffered the dreaded “URGENT SERVICE” on the dashboard.  Back to Guzzidiag, no faults recorded, so I reset the autolearning parameters.   Still no joy, so performed a  handle self learning, and a throttle self learning.  No luck, the motor would turn over but not fire.  Luckily, I was able to reload the saved original map.

Following many attempts at reloading various versions of Beetle's map, Mark checked to see whether I had the latest version of Guzzidiag IAM7SM writer, and it turned out I was running an earlier version.  Updated the writer, and problems disappeared.

The new map was fantastic.  The throttle was more responsive, and that hole just off idle was gone.  But the overrun popping had increased, and got much louder.  Mark responded with an update, the popping was reduced, but now a cold running issue developed.  Picky, I am, but I knew he would be able to sort this out as well.

Latest map is perfect!  It was a nice day, so I put in a 195 kM test to make sure.  It ran the sweetest in it's 45,000 kM life, and average fuel consumption running 5.5 L/100kM (43 US mpg, 52 UK mpg); I expect this to improve in the warmer months ahead.

Anybody with a Cali 1400, especially if you've swapped out the stock mufflers will probably be pleased with an updated map from Griso.org.  I highly recommend this improvement.

Offline OldMojo

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Career of Evil
Re: Beetle Map in the Cali 1400
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 02:45:45 PM »
Thanks for posting, as well as your role in de-bugging!

And of course thanks to Mark for the infinite amount of work he's put into developing these maps.

I'll be looking into this as well.
"When you hit third gear, you'll forget everything she said"

'15 Griso 1200
'14 California Tour
'02 California EV
'80 CB 650C

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 04:54:36 PM »
I'm sure Mark will lock this map in storage now that it
is tested. Maybe some day I'll venture there with my 1400 tourer after I'm sure he's recovered from my California Vintage mapping adventure last year:)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 03:05:52 PM by Ncdan »

Pizza Guzzi

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 09:27:32 PM »
I can also attest to the expertise and willingness to help that Mark displays.
He went to great lengths to resolve an issue I was having with my V7 111.
I thought I might drive him mad but he persisted until it was sorted !

Glenn
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 04:36:32 AM by Pizza Guzzi »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 09:27:32 PM »

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 04:37:21 AM »
This is great news.  I have Mistrals on mine as well.  The lean spot from 2500-2800rpm is pronounced on my bike and I'm looking forward to trying Mark's mapping in the Spring.

Now....if we can get him to find a way to disable the speed limiter.........jus t kidding.   

Offline molly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2018, 05:03:45 AM »
I have witnessed the whole Guzzidiag project  from it's diagnostic infancy to the Beetle mapping of today.  There  can't be many better tuning projects that have cost so little in motorcycling and gave so much. I had a couple of years away from Guzzis on a Triumph Tiger Sport but the pull of working on every aspect of a bike including the ecu was too great and I  purchased a 10 year old Griso 1100 with no regrets. Guzzidiag is probably the best tool I have ever owned.
Dave

Lincolnshire, U.K.

Griso 1100

Offline Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2018, 07:51:00 AM »
Yup, he did a map for my MGX with Mistrals too. Much better. I'm glad Mark is on our side.  It's nice to have him.
Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited
2021 TaoTao TBR7

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here