Author Topic: V85 TT Demo - Test Ride - Road Test - Review merged threadfest  (Read 30118 times)

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
Re: V85 TT Demo - Test Ride - Road Test - Review merged threadfest
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2019, 06:54:56 AM »
A friend and I drove down to Cadre yesterday to check out the V85. We decided to drive since there was rain on and off all day. (5 hours each direction.)

Neither of us took one for a ride but we did check them out pretty well. I can't say much that has not already been said. The guy hauling these around is a contractor but said these were all pre-production bikes. The only thing I noticed was a weld on one bag bracket. Otherwise, I could find nothing that jumped out. The non adventure model also had hand guards and a metal skid plate to protect things down low. That was the gray bike, and I must say, it looks very good in person. The other two were the yellow/white combo. One with bags and the other without bags.

I noticed the mount for the windshield has slots on the back bolts that will allow you to play with the angle a little. According to Enzo, most of the accessories are very reasonable in price. (100 bucks for a center stand, for example.) The bigger windshield is the larger ticket item according to him at 250 bucks. None were equipped with a bigger shield.

The seat is not adjustable for height. There are other seats available to vary the height, but unlike the Stelvio, it fits one way only. The microsuede seat is comfortable but it keeps you in place maybe more than some would like.

Although the seating area is comfortable, you aren't able to move around much. Those with bad knees or hips will want to devise another place to move your feet to if you plan on long days in the saddle.

The adventure models did not have engine guards so I assume they will be an add on. Again, Enzo noted they are very reasonable in price. I'm guessing they would provide a place for some other pegs for the folks that need to stretch their legs from time to time.

The bags are very nice with what appears to be good seals on the lids. The bags can be unlocked off the mounts are easily removed. The left pannier is cut out for the muffler but is still pretty spacious. The latches are very robust. Combined, they give you lots of space for your stuff.

I like it a lot!

John Henry

Online tommy2cyl

• Gosling
« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2019, 08:44:24 AM »
After 10 months of obsessing over this bike online I made the drive down to" Enzo's Place" on Wednesday not knowing if test rides would be available, but was prepared with all my gear stowed in the trunk.  I was sitting on the one with bags ready to take a test ride within 15 minutes of arriving.  Mind blown.  After moving literally 5 feet I flipped my visor up and told Dan (the guy responsible for getting them there) "I want one", and then proceeded out of the lot for the test.  I thought I might try a novel approach to express my appraisal and hopes for this bike.  I want this bike to be a culmination of my two wheel experience from past and current bikes. 
1. 1991 Ducati 900 SS: (purchased first year/white wheels & frame)  My introduction to Italian V Twin magic. Sound, torque, artistic expression on 2 wheels
    that only Italians know how to do. Sold after 12 years.
2. 1991 Honda ST 1100: purchased first year. My introduction to shaft drive/longitudinal 90 degree engine configuration (or transverse if you are more
    comfortable with that), Swiss watch perfection for long haul touring.  Sold after 20 years.
3. 1999 Suzuki DR 350 SE: Last year of production. My introduction to what is now called Adventure Riding and a new world of what is possible on two wheels.   
    This is my COBDR bike, my I've got 15 minutes to clear my head bike.  Still in the stable, why would anyone ever sell one of these?
4. 2002 VStrom: purchased first year production.  Now, starting to combine attributes of the 1,2,3.  V twin, comfort, long haul capability, 19" front wheel, mild
    off road experience.  Not the prettiest of bikes, but what a capable, all around pleasurable motorcycle to saddle up and go.  Always put a grin on my face.
    Sold last year to a close friend who has nothing but praise for his new to him ride.
5. 2008 Kawasaki 650 Versys: First year.  This bike is one of the most fun motorcycles I have ever swung a leg over.  The magic for me is how light steering
    and flickable this machine is.  Eager parallel twin that you can change your line 3 times in a corner if you want or need to.  This is currently my other bike.

V 85 TT:  Italian V Twin, air cooled,  shaft drive, 850 cc perfect size (not large & heavy/not small and strained),  spoked wheels with 19" front,   combination of 60" WB with spot on suspension for road and offroad,  test ride proven light and nimble steering (an absolute priority), Brembo brakes,  and I think a competitive price point with luggage.  This bike is the love child of all of my favorite past and current bikes. It is truly what I have been waiting for in the Adventure Bike world. Tested it. Bought it. As my past experience shows, not afraid to purchase a first year production motorcycle.  Red & white.  And, and, I am buying it from a gentleman by the name of Enzo.  I would say all the boxes are well and truly checked. 

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2019, 08:49:42 AM »
Here's Darren riding it.  I put a quarter in the slot and Darren was making "Brrrmm  Brrmmmm" noises.

He's easily amused.

John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2019, 09:09:17 AM »
Well said tommy2cyl.  :thumb:

You qualified your assessment with background for comparison. My hats off to you.

John Henry

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2019, 09:09:17 AM »

Offline T4halo

• Hatchling
« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2019, 09:33:12 AM »
Welcome Tommy.  Did Enzo say how many he was getting?  This bike sounds like a huge success.

Tony
7th & 10th SF retired

Online tommy2cyl

• Gosling
« Reply #65 on: April 26, 2019, 10:25:40 AM »
I think he is getting 6 in the first shipment which is to be available late May/early June.  Then a second shipment of 6 for July.  Then I think 2 more for September.  Supposedly there will be also a demo bike available with the first shipment.  Enzo didn't have confirmation yet as to when the first batch would positively be here.  These bikes will all be titled 2020 models which is a nice little win situation.
FYI when I spoke with him and purchased  :wink:on Wednesday, he had sold three to people on his list who committed without a test ride.
I was bike number four, and he had one other guy who rode before me and was going to sleep on it over night and make his decision.
I am guessing he didn't get a good night's sleep.  I on the other hand am now sleeping better than I have in months.

Offline T4halo

• Hatchling
« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2019, 11:44:14 AM »
4 of 14 sold already, not bad.

T4
7th & 10th SF retired

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2019, 06:40:56 PM »
Huzo, I read about your fantastic trip.  Do call me if you're touring by Cheltenham.  Even if I don't have the V85, there's other interesting stuff you can look over.

DSC_0910 by Derek Wardell, on Flickr
V7..
Ex Corsa Italiana ?

Online blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2019, 07:00:56 PM »
as i said earlier, i too loved the bike.  if i was 55 and not 60, i would be all over it.  i just prefer to flat foot now.  loved the suspension so much i was looking for cracks and bumps in the road to hit just to feel it work. 
Blue Guzz

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2019, 07:22:26 PM »
Can anyone confirm the existence of an auxiliary plug designated for a GPS?  Tom Tom or otherwise.

Anyone?
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline Knuckle Dragger

• Gosling
« Reply #70 on: April 26, 2019, 08:38:19 PM »
Can anyone confirm the existence of an auxiliary plug designated for a GPS?  Tom Tom or otherwise.

Erm...  there's a USB outlet on the dash.  Is that what you mean?  Otter-fois you could always install a covered weatherproof 12v outlet on the other side.  A BMW type female socket hardwired & inline (positive) fused direct from the battery would provide a reasonably clean high current without interfering with the bike's electronics

Guzzi currently use an accessory Apple & Android McTelephone interface to provide "in-dash" arrow-type GPS directional legend display in coordination with the telephone's onboard locator & bluetooth helmet/telephone interface/s.  There's some fancy name for it, but I'm lead to believe its in common with other Piaggio group products too, so it's apparently not just some unreliable flash-in-the-pan jim-crack bodge-job.  Using bluetooth, your McTelephone need only be nearby - well protected within water, weather & impact proof padding for instance - to take calls & recommend directions as required.  The bike, telephone & helmet all interface through the same standard bluetooth electromagnetic radiation protocol.

Is that what you're after?  I don't think there's any onboard GPS capability, TomTom or otherwise, either st'd of as an accessory, as apparently technology has moved on from proprietory GPS unit integration.

I suppose you could always attach just about any GPS you want to the handlebars with 100mph tape or bracketry if you want, but it will of course be subject to all the vagaries of weather, heat, cold, glare etc. & possibly be either less or more effective than what Guzzi currently offers.
Severus bastardis

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #71 on: April 27, 2019, 01:00:00 AM »
Mine’s got a new Tom Tom 550 with Touratech mount.
Well..
Got the hardware, waiting on the bike.. :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 03:43:01 AM by Huzo »

Offline frans belgium

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #72 on: April 27, 2019, 04:16:59 AM »
As I mentioned in another thread, I am the proud owner of a brand new V85 TT.
I've been riding Guzzi for over 20 years now, but - 3 years ago - I bought me a Bmw f700Gs because I longed for a lighter and more nimble bike after my Norge and touching mid 60.  Guzzi had none.
Now they do, and I bought me one.
What can I say?
I planned to write some striking ride reports and all that jazz, but after careful consideration, f....it.
Ride the bleeding thing and decide for yourself.
Want more HP?  Buy a Jap
Want tubeless: buy anything
Want a decent cup of coffee? Buy a Gold Wing or go to a restaurant
Want to telephone, play a game or listen to the radio?  Go sit behind your desk (or get the extra app for your V 85 - Christ ??!! )

Was I afraid of buying a brand new Guzzi after 20+ years of riding the bleeding thing and all the fuss that came along?

Now, I was not.

2 years of warranty and road assistance, with possible extension each year. (Important inEurope !!)

An excellent dealer.  (Don't know about the rest of the world)

And a really, really great looking and riding bike.

Believe all the positive reviews you read;  they ARE true. This thing runs, sounds, sits and handles great!

I could not care less about HP, it runs faster than I can handle.

To be honest, at first, I could not believe this was actually a MG ;-)

My dealer said the same, and ordered me to shut up ;-)

So, I repeat myself: ride it and decide for yourself.  You don't like it?  Keep your present rig or buy something else.....
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 04:21:57 AM by frans belgium »
Owned and sold: V65, Nevada, 2xCali, Breva 1100, Norge 8V, Breva 1100 with Squire sidecar
Currently own: V85 TT

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #73 on: April 27, 2019, 05:09:15 AM »
I still have my Garmin 390LM that I would like to mount on the V85.  Had it on my V7, and wired it to the dedicated GPS plug (cut off Tom Tom plug). 
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #74 on: April 27, 2019, 05:47:04 AM »
As I mentioned in another thread, I am the proud owner of a brand new V85 TT.
I've been riding Guzzi for over 20 years now, but - 3 years ago - I bought me a Bmw f700Gs because I longed for a lighter and more nimble bike after my Norge and touching mid 60.  Guzzi had none.
Now they do, and I bought me one.
What can I say?
I planned to write some striking ride reports and all that jazz, but after careful consideration, f....it.
Ride the bleeding thing and decide for yourself.
Want more HP?  Buy a Jap
Want tubeless: buy anything
Want a decent cup of coffee? Buy a Gold Wing or go to a restaurant
Want to telephone, play a game or listen to the radio?  Go sit behind your desk (or get the extra app for your V 85 - Christ ??!! )

Was I afraid of buying a brand new Guzzi after 20+ years of riding the bleeding thing and all the fuss that came along?

Now, I was not.

2 years of warranty and road assistance, with possible extension each year. (Important inEurope !!)

An excellent dealer.  (Don't know about the rest of the world)

And a really, really great looking and riding bike.

Believe all the positive reviews you read;  they ARE true. This thing runs, sounds, sits and handles great!

I could not care less about HP, it runs faster than I can handle.

To be honest, at first, I could not believe this was actually a MG ;-)

My dealer said the same, and ordered me to shut up ;-)

So, I repeat myself: ride it and decide for yourself.  You don't like it?  Keep your present rig or buy something else.....
very well said[/b]

Offline Markcarovilli

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #75 on: April 27, 2019, 09:28:09 AM »
Frans

Loved your commentary- but shouldn’t you be out riding?

Enjoy the bike and it sounds like you will...

Mark

Offline vintagehoarder

• Cycle Hoarders
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Ride to Eat, Eat To Ride
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #76 on: April 27, 2019, 06:57:40 PM »
V7..
Ex Corsa Italiana ?
Love it Huzo!
Cyclehoarders Garage
2021 Honda CT125 Trail Cub
2018 Triumph Tiger 800
2014 Moto Guzzi California Touring 1400
2014 Moto Guzzi V7 Speical
2009 Vepsa GTS 250 ie
1987 Suzuki Samurai (4 Wheels)
1981 Honda CX500 Deluxe
1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado 850
1969 Yamaha YAS1C
La Grange, KY

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #77 on: April 27, 2019, 11:26:33 PM »
Love it Huzo!
Are we talking about the same bike..?

Offline Glawster

• New Egg
« Reply #78 on: April 28, 2019, 01:40:08 PM »
No, mine didn't come from Corsa Italiana
1955 Falcone Sport
1973 V7 Sport
2021 BMW R1250R
1955 Moto Parilla Turismo Special

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #79 on: April 28, 2019, 01:49:17 PM »
No, mine didn't come from Corsa Italiana
Ok.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #80 on: May 01, 2019, 10:54:20 PM »

I’m in Harwich, Glawster and heading in to London today.
I can come to see you in Cheltenham if you’re around, or catch up somewhere ?
Or here ?

« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 11:11:33 PM by Huzo »

Offline Glawster

• New Egg
« Reply #81 on: May 02, 2019, 05:25:24 AM »
Huzo,
You're welcome.  I'm working from home.  Send me a pm if you want my address. 
Or why not go and have a go on the On Yer Bike V85 Demonstrator?  Just give them a call and I'm sure they'll let you have a spin.
On Yer Bike Ltd
A41 Bicester Road, Westcott, Aylesbury HP18 0JX
01296 655999
1955 Falcone Sport
1973 V7 Sport
2021 BMW R1250R
1955 Moto Parilla Turismo Special

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #82 on: May 02, 2019, 06:44:40 AM »
Huzo,
You're welcome.  I'm working from home.  Send me a pm if you want my address. 
Or why not go and have a go on the On Yer Bike V85 Demonstrator?  Just give them a call and I'm sure they'll let you have a spin.
On Yer Bike Ltd
A41 Bicester Road, Westcott, Aylesbury HP18 0JX
01296 655999
Saw the bike and love it mate.
I had a go to find you but no luck..
PM sent

Offline bikelee

• Hatchling
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 07:50:07 AM by bikelee »

Offline Dave Swanson

• Gaggle Hero
  • Northern Illinois USA
« Reply #84 on: May 02, 2019, 08:11:16 AM »
The V85 has really grown on me.   I might have to get one this year!
Dave Swanson - Northern IL
1935 GTS
1968 V700
1973 V7 Sport
1974 Eldo
1974 Police Eldo
1976 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1980 T3 California
1993 1000S - Sparklehorse
2004 V11S - Eraldo-ized
2016 Griso SE - Beetle-ized
2021 V7-850 Stone Centenario
2022 V85TT Guardia d'Onore
2023 V100S

MGNOC L-780

Offline NWrider

• Gosling
« Reply #85 on: May 02, 2019, 08:59:57 AM »
Demo Test Rides are scheduled in Portland, OR for May 10th and 11th.

Am I correct in assuming that the V85tt does not use a keyless ignition?  If not, it still probably has a proximity chip in the key.

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #86 on: May 02, 2019, 09:49:16 AM »
If anybody is qualified to write about motorcycles it's Sir Alan.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #87 on: May 02, 2019, 10:06:33 AM »
https://riders.drivemag.com/author/alan-cathcart   

The above to authenticate same. Good stuff always.  R3~

Offline grebmrof

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #88 on: May 02, 2019, 10:54:56 AM »
Never read such enthusiastic and positive review/comments on a Guzzi, ever...ever...ever. ..
'22 Royal Enfield Int650
'08 Triumph Bonneville T100

Offline Dave Swanson

• Gaggle Hero
  • Northern Illinois USA
« Reply #89 on: May 02, 2019, 11:43:33 AM »
Just found out I could do essentially an even trade for my 2014 Harley Limited.....
Dave Swanson - Northern IL
1935 GTS
1968 V700
1973 V7 Sport
1974 Eldo
1974 Police Eldo
1976 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1980 T3 California
1993 1000S - Sparklehorse
2004 V11S - Eraldo-ized
2016 Griso SE - Beetle-ized
2021 V7-850 Stone Centenario
2022 V85TT Guardia d'Onore
2023 V100S

MGNOC L-780

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here