Author Topic: Motor centering  (Read 923 times)

Offline dxhall

• Gaggle Hero
Motor centering
« on: July 05, 2019, 06:38:57 PM »
I have begun another Exercise in Brain Damage in which I install a BSA Lightning motor in a Benelli Mojave frame.  Why, you ask?  Because (1) the Benelli frame is a copy of a ‘60s Rickman frame and (2) it’s a cool looking bike.   

So here’s the question:  it looks as though I will need to offset the engine a little to get the drive sprocket to line up with the wheel sprocket.  I wouldn’t think that the motor was perfectly balanced in the frame in the first place, but I am not sure what will happen if the center of mass (which always ends up to be somewhere inside the motor) is not on the axis between the wheel centers.  Any thoughts about how that would affect handling?  I need to find my copy of Foales’s book on motorcycle design.

Offline Diploman

• "The future just ain't what it used to be." Yogi
  • Gaggle Mentor
Re: Motor centering
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 06:49:49 PM »
I doubt if offsetting the motor a bit to one side would have much significant effect on the bike's handling , provided that the engine sprocket and the rear wheel sprocket are well aligned.

Such an arrangement, however, might result in a lateral imbalance that could make the bike lean slightly away from the side to which the motor is offset.  To correct this, you could add some mass to the drive chain side:  eg. a 2-into1 exhaust with slinkier on the drive side; a front rotor and caliper on the drive side, etc.  The offset motor might look a bit odd, but at least it would be a conversation piece and any lateral imbalance could be evened up.
1980 V50 II, lightly cafe'd, much modernized
1983 SP 1000 NT (Under Upgrade/Modification)
2015 KTM 390 Duke

oldbike54

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 07:19:52 PM »
 Lots of British specials had offset motors , unless we are talking more than an inch you will never feel it .

Dusty

Online pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 08:11:46 PM »
In Vespa virtually 100% of the motor mass is on one side of the center line.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 08:11:46 PM »

Offline flangeman_70

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2019, 01:37:54 AM »
Centauro and could also be Daytona (4V Head) are offset approx 10cm to the right. I think it had something to do with getting the gearbox output lined up with the final drive. It’s never been a handling issue for me.

Adam
You only went to school to learn how to learn

Adam

SP III 1990
V10 Centauro 1996

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2019, 02:46:21 PM »
Iirc aren't some of the HD engines offset for the same reason?
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here