Author Topic: Tires - I live in fear of the Luddites.....  (Read 4957 times)

Offline rjamesohio

• Gaggle Hero
Tires - I live in fear of the Luddites.....
« on: July 05, 2019, 08:34:46 PM »
I'm afeared to spoil my sterling reputation as a guy who knows the front from the back of a motorcycle...

Alas, I have a nearly new Metzler lasertec on the rear of my Cali and a worn one on the front.

I KNOW I need to replace the front, and typically my tires have worn at completely different rates. When I buy lower-priced tires, I've often just replaced in pairs, but the highest priced tires tend to make us Guzzisti say "Hey, I've got lot's of life left in that front".

Well - I DO NOT have lot's of life left on the front of the Cali, and I'm getting ready to take her on a little road trip.

First - Metzler Lasertec's seem to be on the way out. But they're also WAY more than other brands, like Contis, or Bridgestone (pro-nounced Bridge-eh-stone in Italian.) I've even been reading that some of you swear by Shinkos on your Calis, and they are HALF of what a Lasertec costs.

So should a poor boy mix brands or will I risk paying my dues to the tire Gods?
Ron James
Ex LM V
Ex SP1000
Ex Eldorado
Ex Quota - parts live on after crash
EX 1000G5
EX 850T3
EX 2003 V11 Stone
EX 1996 California 1100i
EX 2006 Big Breva
1979 1000 G5
1993 California iii
Spine Frame Mongrel
1999 BMW R1100R
Waynesville, Oh

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Tires - I live in fear of the Luddites.....
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 08:40:50 PM »
I've mixed brands for decades. Enjoy your trip.

Tex

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 08:44:37 PM »
Hell, your not riding Daytona. Get a Shinko.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 09:03:43 PM »
Mix.  And worry not
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 09:03:43 PM »

Offline kirby1923

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '81 CX100
  • Location: SoCal (rural) near Tehachapi CA, Rogers AR when in the states other times GMT+1 thu +6
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2019, 09:28:13 PM »
I not only mix brands on my CX, I often run a radial on the rear and a bias on the front.

What me worry?

:-)

'81 CX100

A calm and modest life brings more happiness than the constant pursuit of success combined with constant restlessness.. Einstein,A

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2019, 09:51:19 PM »
Rest assured you can run anything up front with a Laser on the back.  I used run laser on my Cal but found they didn’t wear well compared to others.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline tommy2cyl

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2019, 10:08:21 PM »
Have run Shinko 705's on my VStrom 1000 and Versys 650 and Golden Boy Shinko on my DR 350.  Never had a problem.  Noticed no real difference in mileage compared to other more expensive brands.  And at half the price even if you replace more frequently that means that you have on average better tread. 

Offline Gusable

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2019, 10:21:32 PM »
I just changed an old Michelin commander on the rear of my EV with the Shinko tour master.  It’s like it’s made from GLUE that is stuck to the road!! I love it.  Ones going on the front by years end!
1994 California 1100

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2019, 10:45:48 PM »
Some motorcycle racer was reputed to have said " the rear  tire doesn't know what the front tire is doing " or words to that effect.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Online s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2019, 07:08:50 AM »
Ill start by saying that MAN I miss the old ME33 lazer, and ME99 perfect combo!!  They just worked!  That being said, I really don't care for the Lazertec line..  they are way over priced IMHO, and wear OK... but not sure Ive seen any over a few years old that are not all dryrotted…  I have them on my bike, and they will be getting replaced soon!  I would have no issue replacing just that front tire. Burn through that rear you have, and by then you will know if you like the front you have chosen. .  Im going to try the Shinko's when I replace. Just seem to be a good value over all, and people seem to like them. 
Paul B

Offline severely

• Hatchling
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2019, 07:13:10 AM »
I have Shinko's on 3 out of 4 bikes now. Try the 777 model.

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2019, 07:15:21 AM »
I have no issue mixing brands.

I do however stick to the same type of tire on the front and rear.

Sport Touring, Touring, Dual Sport, Sport, etc. 

I have not mixed radial and bias ply.  I stick to what the engineers designed the bike to run on. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2019, 07:26:16 AM »
I prefer the same brand...front and back...but what are the Luddites?!? :rolleyes: :shocked: :huh:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2019, 07:35:22 AM »
I've run several sets of shinkos on my V7 and the 2001 EV. very happy with them on both. But I have since discovered the Conti attack 3 radials for the V7 and will use them from now on.
I had a conti a3 in the 100/90 front size for a V7 sitting in the garage when the EV needed a new front a couple of months ago. So I stuck it on just to see! Holy crap batman it is fantastic on the front. makes a whole new bike out of it. some might be because of the narrower profile but surely not all. I doubt I will ever go back to a bais on the front again. plus the contis wear better than anything i've used before. almost twice what the demons wore.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2019, 09:35:09 AM »
I prefer the same brand...front and back...but what are the Luddites?!? :rolleyes: :shocked: :huh:

I have always run the same brand and a "matching" set front and rear....Luddites are thoses who fear or dislike technology..

Offline wirespokes

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2019, 10:01:28 AM »
Shinkos work for me too.

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2019, 10:13:15 AM »
 Folks like me!  I am a luddite.  Why do you think I keep riding sidecar rigs?
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2019, 10:47:05 AM »
I've had multiple types of Shinko tires and never had an issue with any of them. 705's are my preferred adventure tire and the Ravin 009 are regularly used on my 3 sportier bikes (120R70-17 & 180R55-17 combo). I will experiment with different brands when I can get a good deal on them. I have mixed front and rear brands quite a bit with no issues. Between me, my wife and the two boys bikes, I'm replacing about 8 to 10 tires a year.

Just bought a set of Dunlop Road Smart 2 to try out at you guys recommendation in the other thread. They will replace a set of Angle ST tires on the FJR. I really like the sharp handling of the Angels, but have an issue with the tread pattern as there is no grooves or wear indication in the center of the rear and was surprised with cords showing once and then tending to replace with a lot of rubber left just cause I couldn't tell how much was left. I do a lot of highway work to get to twisties in the Ozarks, Texas and Colorado so do get some squaring off on any brand I happen to be running.
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Offline sidecarnutz

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2019, 10:53:54 AM »
I've got Shinko's on my Royal Enfield 500. They are great for modestly powered bikes that you aren't taking out on a track. I wouldn't hesitate to put some on my old Cali III.

On my Guzzi's I have always worn out two front tires to every rear tire I use up. I'm in the habit of enjoying those nice Brembo front disks to set myself up for turns before I enter them. Most of my rear tires simply wore out in the center from too many hiway miles. But I do live in the coastal flat lands away from any good roads.
yeah, I might be addicted to brake fluid. But I can stop any time I want.

2002 Kawasaki ZR7S
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Conti GT

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2019, 11:02:44 AM »
I've run several sets of shinkos on my V7 and the 2001 EV. very happy with them on both. But I have since discovered the Conti attack 3 radials for the V7 and will use them from now on.
I had a conti a3 in the 100/90 front size for a V7 sitting in the garage when the EV needed a new front a couple of months ago. So I stuck it on just to see! Holy crap batman it is fantastic on the front. makes a whole new bike out of it. some might be because of the narrower profile but surely not all. I doubt I will ever go back to a bais on the front again. plus the contis wear better than anything i've used before. almost twice what the demons wore.

I have found that if you are not happy with the traction out of a certain brand/type of tire you should make sure your suspension is set up correctly and if it can't be then replaced with quality suspension components.  You will find that there will be a vast improvement in traction just by having proper suspension. 

I haven't tried this with a motorcycle but when I was preparing to change my truck's shocks to Bilstein HD shocks I ran a route of roads at a speed to where my tires were squealing.  Then I changed out the shocks and ran the same route at much faster speeds and no squeal out of the same tires.  The suspensions main purpose is to keep the tires in contact with the road surface.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2019, 11:29:06 AM »
Can someone please explain the difference between radials and bias tires when used on MOTORCYCLES?  Pros/Cons?   I’ve always used bias on my bikes, but had the new owner of my V7 ask about replacing with radials.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 11:29:29 AM by Cam3512 »
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline Brand X

• Gosling
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2019, 12:22:59 PM »
I have no problem with using Shinko tires.. I just mounted a set for my renter.. Go on good, and decent price.(Made in Korea)  They mount up way easier then the last set of Chinese Made Pirelli  Diablo tires that I mounted on my Aprilia.  :evil:

One note, some Shinko are radial or bias depending on size.. Meaning a set of 230 Shinko could be either/ or  on tire size but not on a tire model.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 12:24:52 PM by Brand X »

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2019, 06:13:50 AM »

Once you've experienced a *really* good tire, it's hard to go back.  :smiley: I wish they were available for the Lario, but that isn't going to happen.
Shinkos? I have a set on the "almost new" G5. They are round and black.  :evil: They won't be doing any track days. They won't be pushed in the rain. They are inexpensive. (Guzzi content) They'll be fine..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2019, 09:43:56 AM »
BrineyJim just did a 5,500 mile trip on a set of Shinko 230s ('07 Vintage). He reports that they were better than the Avons that he used last and the rear still has a bunch of miles left. I used Lasertecs on my Triumph and my Guzzi and didn't like them at all. They wore funny and would break lose unexpectantly. I prefer Michelin Activs, but wouldn't balk at the Shinkos. Heck, they're all bias ply, anyway...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2019, 09:49:16 AM »
Lasertecs on my Triumph and my Guzzi and didn't like them at all.

My least favorite tire of all time. <shrug>
Ok, I'm out.  :smiley: Tire threads sometimes take on a life of their own.. and of course it's all subjective.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline kirby1923

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '81 CX100
  • Location: SoCal (rural) near Tehachapi CA, Rogers AR when in the states other times GMT+1 thu +6
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2019, 10:05:03 AM »
Another example of flogging a dead horse...but...
Don't ever buy Shinkos!!!

If they get too much in demand/popular they might raise their prices......

:-)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 10:09:46 AM by kirby1923 »
'81 CX100

A calm and modest life brings more happiness than the constant pursuit of success combined with constant restlessness.. Einstein,A

elvisboy77

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2019, 10:06:35 AM »
Not sure saving money by buying cheap tires will ever be a good trade off to me.  There's only two on your motorcycle.  And getting the last few miles out of one would not be something I'd be proud of for that reason.

And say what you want but the quality control of many Chinese products is not world class.  Not sure about Korean.

Maybe you should buy better leathers with your savings lol.

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2019, 10:15:28 AM »
  I have always run the same brand and a "matching" set front and rear....Luddites are thoses who fear or dislike technology..

Thank you...never heard the term "LUDDITES" before... :cool: :smiley:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2019, 10:26:09 AM »
I have found that if you are not happy with the traction out of a certain brand/type of tire you should make sure your suspension is set up correctly and if it can't be then replaced with quality suspension components.  You will find that there will be a vast improvement in traction just by having proper suspension. 

I haven't tried this with a motorcycle but when I was preparing to change my truck's shocks to Bilstein HD shocks I ran a route of roads at a speed to where my tires were squealing.  Then I changed out the shocks and ran the same route at much faster speeds and no squeal out of the same tires.  The suspensions main purpose is to keep the tires in contact with the road surface.

This!  When I bought my GS (used), the suspension was "poorly" adjusted and it took ne a while to figure out how to adjust it for the tele-lever front end. I was sliding the bike all around with a decent set of Michelin Tourance tires. Once I want way soft on the advice of other GS guys that knew what they were doing, the tires then stuck OK. It stands to reason tires won't work well if they are not staying in contact with the road.
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2019, 10:43:51 AM »
Not sure saving money by buying cheap tires will ever be a good trade off to me.  There's only two on your motorcycle.  And getting the last few miles out of one would not be something I'd be proud of for that reason.

And say what you want but the quality control of many Chinese products is not world class.  Not sure about Korean.

Maybe you should buy better leathers with your savings lol.

The quality of the (Korean made) Shinkos is equal to if not better than many "name brand" (made in Brazil, China and ahem... Korea) tires in my experience.
Charlie

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here