Author Topic: Help! Dreaded red triangle on 2014 1400 tourer  (Read 3293 times)

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Help! Dreaded red triangle on 2014 1400 tourer
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2019, 11:09:18 PM »
Needless to say, listen to Pete.  :smiley: There was a run of bad oil pumps in 07, from memory around October and November.
He’s not convinced it’s an oil issue necessarily is he ?

pete roper

« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2019, 11:43:49 PM »
Nobody is 'Convinced' of anything but there is a known issue of a batch of bad pumps on 2007 Norges in particular so if he's getting constant pressure warning alerts common sense dictates you look at the known issue before flying off wildly at a tangent.

As for TPS, ECU and 'Mapping' problems? The fact that all three are listed means presumably that all three have been singled out at one time or another as the source of ongoing problems but the suggestion seems that problems persist. To me, as a casual observer, the source of the 'Problems' is far more likely to be related to who has been working on the bike. Like, just maybe, they haven't got a clue what they're doing!

You know how many TPS's I've replaced on W5AM Guzzis in the last 13 years? One! How many ECU's? Two, and one of them was a spare I sent to someone who was sure his ECU was dead but my one didn't fix the issue. He didn't think it necessary to send it back mind, even though I'd lent it to him. One that looked suspiciously like it appeared on eBay a few weeks later. So let's lower that down to one, (That got voltage spiked, not the ECU's fault.)

As for 'Mapping Problems'? While the standard Norge map is a bit pedestrian and lack lustre it doesn't cause any dreadful fuelling issues or terrible behaviour. What will is if the bike has been fiddled with by someone who doesn't know what they are doing. Most bad running is caused by clowns playing about with the throttlebodies and saying that They should be adjusted "Like Carburettors". :violent1:

As for the CARC problem? No, it shouldn't of happened and I personally think the use of a collapsible spacer between the pinion bearings was a mistake BUT they only rarely fail and if caught early can be fixed with little pain and expense. It's a machine. Sometimes they go wrong, but it's not common.

Pete
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 11:50:58 PM by pete roper »

Offline gthorpe

• New Egg
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2019, 11:48:06 PM »
I think it is the oil pressure sending unit. I have the same thing on my 2008 Norge. I think it started in about 2012. I have not done anything.

You describe the exact symptoms I had on my 2016 Eldorado. I got GuzziDiag & bought the cables and read P0155 and P0156 fast codes. Digging into it further I read the TGPS values which pointed to a faulty Throttle Grip Position Sensor. I am now in the process of replacing it
Glenn T.
2016 Eldorado 1400
2014 Ducati Monster 796

pete roper

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2019, 12:47:49 AM »
No RBW on Norge. Simple TPS rather than demand sensor.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2019, 12:47:49 AM »

elvisboy77

« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2019, 07:01:37 AM »
Yes, Moto Guzzi's are shite. Burn them all and go away so the rest of us can enjoy ours.

Exactly.  Quit crowing about your Honda's and go troll their discussion group.

Everyone knows Moto Guzzi is the worst bike ever, breaks every hundred feet with no dealers in sight.  So, yeah get rid of those junk bikes. : :rolleyes:

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2019, 03:40:54 PM »
URGENT UPDATE, not URGENT SERVICE:)
I’ve started the 1400 at least half a dozen times since my last post and no RED TRIANGLE appeared. I think my buddy down under fixed it  telepathically after I spoke with him the other morning ( there anyway) about running a check for codes. I’m just going to ride this big red mother like I stole it until something falls off or fluids start running out of every orifice, LOL:) hell it is a Guzzi anyway.

Thanks all for the responses, sorry if I started a fight:(
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 03:42:59 PM by Ncdan »

beetle

« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2019, 03:45:19 PM »
until something falls off or fluids start running out of every orifice, LOL:)

I hope you mean the bike!  :grin:

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2019, 03:52:13 PM »

I hope you mean the bike!  :grin:
Lol, well... I guess that could go either way with me buddy:)

Offline M0T0Geezer

• Gaggle Mentor
    • The Ones I Rode
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2019, 06:45:59 PM »
Needless to say, listen to Pete.  :smiley: There was a run of bad oil pumps in 07, from memory around October and November.

Thanks for the heads up.  Yes, I know about bad oil pumps in early Norge "1200" bikes (2-Valvers).  Still, I see lots of bad oil pressure sensor posts here too.

The Oil Pressure lamp-on warnings are occasional (continual but not continuous).  It comes on every 2nd or 3rd cold start but always goes out in the same 1,000 feet from startup and never returns for a given ride.

I'll get the oil pump and the sensor replaced in a month or so.  Bound to cure the problem.  I'm inclined to blame the sensor 'cuz if there were truly little or no oil pressure  the engine should long ago have begun deep-knocking and burning oil.

'Geezer
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 USA

My 65+ years of motorcycling here:

http://www.dansher.com/mywheels.htm

Wisdom from the road:

http://www.dansher.com/bikequotes.html

Play guitar or keyboard?  You will like:

http://www.dansher.com/audio/pdf_tunes.html

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here