Author Topic: '98 V11EV Universal Boot  (Read 705 times)

Online n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
'98 V11EV Universal Boot
« on: July 06, 2019, 08:01:45 PM »
I run Amsoil 75W90 Manual Transmission Lube in my transmission and Amsoil 75W90 Severe Gear in my final drive.

Most recently I found a bit of smelly oil under the bike from the rubber universal boot to the back of the bike. Seems the rubber boot popped out of location.

I cleaned everything up and reinstalled the boot. BUT I noticed the boot was swollen a bit beyond normal size.

I'm assuming the rubber doesn't "play well" with synthetic oil. Anyone else have these problems? Any boots work well with synthetic?
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Loop Tonti EV

Re: '98 V11EV Universal Boot
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 04:43:20 AM »
I've been running the same combination of oil in my 01 EV for 110,000 miles with no issues. The original boot is still in place. Try this: ride the bike long enough to get it well into operating temperature. Shut it off and remove the fill plug (the top one) on your rear drive. This will burp the expanded pressure from the unit. Re-install the full plug and tighten it.  See if this helps solve the issue.

Online n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
Re: '98 V11EV Universal Boot
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 06:32:28 AM »
 It''s not a matter of the boot bulging with air pressure.

I'm used to the boot requiring a bit of stretching to go over the spigots on the transmission and swingarm. My oil soaked boot required no stretching to fit into mounting position at either end. Made reinstallation very easy. Much easier than when I pulled the swingarm for a new universal last year.

Anytime something changes I get curious. Even if the change is for the better
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here