Author Topic: Looking at a 2008 Cal Vintage  (Read 2116 times)

Offline Vince in Milwaukee

• Gaggle Hero
Looking at a 2008 Cal Vintage
« on: July 07, 2019, 04:16:25 PM »
My girlfriend and I have been looking for a nice, comfortable touring bike for the two of us, as my Le Mans III just isn't going to cut it.  There's one for sale locally, with only 20,000 miles at $5,200.  Don't honestly have a clue what these are going for (that's the KBB price) and wonder if there are any issues / things I need to be concerned about.  Thanks!   
1984 Moto Guzzi 850 LeMans III, 1986 California II
Gone but not forgotten:
1969 Moto Guzzi Ambo, 1994 BMW K75RTw/ABS, 1996 BMW R1100RT, and 1993 BMW K75

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Looking at a 2008 Cal Vintage
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 04:20:40 PM »

Had mine 3 weeks now, it rocks! That's a decent price.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Online motogoro

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 08:30:12 PM »
it's a great bike.  I like mine.  It's geared differently than the Cal III I rode for touring before the CalVin.  Definitely prefer FI to carbs.  Mine had the crappy tail light bracket issue.  That's about it. 

Steve M in MKE
Steve M. in SE WI
WMGR 193
MGNOC L-553

Offline spmoto

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 08:51:15 PM »
If you can't test ride it, two up, I would not suggest you take the chance. It's a good bike in many ways, especially for solo riding. But the seat and rear suspension are not up to the task, IMHO. The stock windshield also leaves a lot to be desired, lots of buffeting and wind noise. For two-up touring in comfort you can do better...… Stelvio, if you are tall enough is a great two-up tourer. Maybe a Norge but I can't speak from experience.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 08:51:15 PM »

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 01:26:15 AM »
      I've got one, I love it for what it is, when I'm in the mood for an easy going laid back zen ride, very classy, dependable solid bike.

Good power & brakes,,, seems geared tall to me, often forget to slip it into 5th,, lopes along just fine in 4th,, even with the lean oem map(popping/farting) the fueling and ECU seems tuned more on the torquey down low side,,, I can putt along at 2K rpm if need be, 3K rpm is the sweet spot for me on this bike,,, most guzzistis will describe that as lugging the engine, but for whatever reason, the CalVin seems better down low than the other guzzis I've ridden, fwiw imho.

Every neck and back is different, make sure that "you" like the "C" shaped sitting ergos as discussed recently in other threads describing the cruiser ride; as much as I like the CalVin, the sitting straight up and down pressure on "my" spine bothers my lower back a little more than I'd like. fwiw

For touring, some would insist on tubeless tires, after a few challenging adventures in changing tires and tubes in the comfort of my garage with a full arsenal of tools, i can see the logic in tubeless. Regret not converting the wheels to tubeless on my last tire change.

I wasn't real impressed with the handling at first, but I cranked the rear shock springs pre load right up and cornering firmed up a lot, but what made the biggest handling difference was getting in the mindset of the bike, I now throw it into the corners like the fine Italian Leather Couch it is  :thumb:

Happy shopping, good luck and safe riding

Kelly
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100
1979 G5 & 1980 Lemans CX100
2010 Suzuki DR650 & 1978 SR500

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2019, 06:18:37 AM »
I had an 07 Calvin, it was a great bike for one up touring. However for a two up distance  Machine, keep looking. My wife and I toured for several years and l withhold, for the sake of starting an argument, what was our choice of touring bike. After ridding two up on the Calvin, it didn’t take long to agree it does not fit the bill. That said, a tough couple can cross the country on a 350cc ————-someone else can fill in the blank on a  make:)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 06:19:41 AM by Ncdan »

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2019, 07:53:39 AM »
Kelly hit the major points. Ask if the fuel filter/lines have been changed to resist ethanol laced gas. The seat is a little on the short (as in: fore to aft) side, so slender folks fit best. Once you figure out the sequence, roadside tire repairs are no big deal. An hour if you have a compressor. A good aftermarket fuel map and a better windshield from Rifle make it a very endearing bike.
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2019, 08:07:40 AM »
I'm not seeing any "buffeting" issues with the windshield, Maybe I'm not as analytical as some here?? And I'm quite comfy with the seating position, but everyone's different. I'm of the belief that you sit on anything for more than 3 or 4 hours, it's time to move around a little, but I'm no Wendy Crockett  :laugh: My newest Guzzi was a LMII so it's like a Lazy boy recliner to me.

Offline dxhall

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2019, 08:47:31 AM »
What’s the difference between a Cal Vin and a Jackal?

Offline dlapierre

• Gosling
    • Habitat Farm
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2019, 08:57:16 AM »
On the buffeting comment. Maybe ones height has something to do with it. I'm a hair over 6' and found buffeting problematic. So, I installed a slightly lower windscreen and that did the trick.
I have always worn a full-face helmet. With a slightly lower screen,when I sit tall the wind is in my face a bit more, but is not the buffeting kind. The slightly lower screen keeps the wind right off my body, from about the chin down.
As for comfort, I carry a wool pad that raises my seating height 1/2" or so. Changing height even by that slight amount off and on, on a long ride, makes a significant difference, at least to me.

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2019, 10:56:23 AM »
John, your bike’s windshield has a healthy rake to it. I’ve found that is the best way to deal with buffeting. However, Rifle shields are wider, available in various standard or custom heights and various tints. Their hole drilling is perfect and delivery, prompt. For not much money, you can have a shield that exactly meets your needs.

https://rifle.com/Motorcycle-Windshields-Motorcycle-Fairings-Motorcycle-Parts-Accessories-for-2008-Moto-Guzzi-California--Vintage/B5530.aspx

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2019, 11:38:43 AM »
John, your bike’s windshield has a healthy rake to it. I’ve found that is the best way to deal with buffeting. However, Rifle shields are wider, available in various standard or custom heights and various tints. Their hole drilling is perfect and delivery, prompt. For not much money, you can have a shield that exactly meets your needs.

https://rifle.com/Motorcycle-Windshields-Motorcycle-Fairings-Motorcycle-Parts-Accessories-for-2008-Moto-Guzzi-California--Vintage/B5530.aspx

Reasonable prices, but if something is working, I hesitate to fix it. Riding across the sand hills of Nebraska back in May I was thinking about an old dude 125 years ago with a team of mules pulling a buckboard across the wide expanse and I wondered if "buffeting" ever crossed his mind, or was he more focused on mule dietary intake?? We have it made don't we??

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2019, 01:05:55 PM »
What’s the difference between a Cal Vin and a Jackal?

The Jackal was a lower-priced version of the Tonti-framed California. It used the same frame and power plant, but only a single front disc, non-adjustable suspension, foot pegs instead of boards, no tach, and a funky taillight. Many prefer this format (also offered with the “Stone”), as it is lighter, has a better handlebar, and enjoys most of the same aftermarket as the Bassa and EV.

Like the Bassa and the EV, the Vintage comes with a really nice selection of bits. Stainless braided brake lines, twin-plug heads, adjustable suspension front and rear, floorboards, leg shields, double front disc brakes, tachometer, windshield,  “Beach” handlebars, front and rear crash bars, fiberglass side cases, and a funky taillight. Oddly, the Vintage did not get the tubeless wire wheels like it’s luxury predecessors.

You can’t go wrong with a tasty example of either of these bikes, but the Jackal is a little older and more affordable. The whole story on the Guzzi California bikes linked below:

https://www.autoevolution.com/moto/moto-guzzi/california/

« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 01:07:36 PM by Sheepdog »

Offline janguzzi

• Gosling
    • My YouTube Channel (Guzzi Content)
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2019, 01:22:13 PM »
Please note the Vintage, the Classic and the Aquila Nera are different from all other Californias.
All three have the Breva 1100 engine with twin spark ignition.

The differences are:
- Valve diameter
- Camshaft
- Throttle flap diameter
-  Alternator
- Oil pan
- ECU
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 01:22:42 PM by janguzzi »
Kind Regards
Jan, Schuby (near the Danish Border), Germany
www.janguzzi.de
-1992-2002: 1000S, 2nd Series
-2002-2004: V11 Le Mans "Grigio Titanium"
-2004-2011: V11 Le Mans "Rosso Corsa" & 2008-2011: 950S
-2018-2021: California Vintage
-2011: Griso 8V & 2023: V85 TT "Giallo Mojave"

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2019, 01:34:30 PM »
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline dxhall

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2019, 03:49:08 PM »
I asked about the Jackal because Ed Milich has one for sale at a reasonable price.  25k Miles, nice shape, with bags. 

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here