Author Topic: I need new tires for the V7  (Read 16001 times)

Offline lorazepam

• Gosling
  • Almost ready for suspenders
I need new tires for the V7
« on: August 03, 2017, 10:39:15 PM »
The rear tire on my 2014 V7 Stone is toast, and I am looking for something different for replacement, as I think the Sport Demons are less than stellar performers. I ride mostly chip and seal roads, with gravel in the mix once in a great while, more if I had a tire better suited for same.
I live in Amish country, and the steel rims on the buggies rut the roads, and these tires really don't like that at all. They tend to follow these narrow and shallow ruts, giving the bike the feeling of loose steering head bearings.
Does anyone make a reasonably priced tire suited for chip and seal/gravel roads, that actually fit?
I found a set of tires used on the Scrambler, but 400.00 for a set is a bit out of my budget.
Thanks in advance for your help, and entertaining rants.
Sizes are 100/90-18 f and 130/80-17 r.

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
Re: I need new tires for the V7
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 01:17:21 AM »
I use Avon AM26 Roadriders - work well, better turn in than the Sport Demon & last me a lot longer. Also perform well on the all weather roads up in the Territory (regularly inundated) that plane the rubber off a lot of other tyres.  Heidenau have a good rep for road/gravel use, but unsure if made in our sizes.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 01:39:57 AM »
Unfortunately some tires available in other markets are not readily available in North America. This can make tire selection for the V7 series a bit of a challenge. I can't make much in terms of suggestions, as I haven't shopped it lately, but I'd take the choices you get here and cast a wide net to see what you can actually buy in your market area.

And given the less common nature of these size/spec  choices, it's worth a reminder to make sure that any tires you do buy are reasonably recent date stamps (the oval space containing week number / year) so that you aren't buying tires that are already too old to wear out.
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Online Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 07:08:26 AM »
I put the pilot actives on mine and it looks like they will do 50% more miles. handling is better too.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 07:08:26 AM »

Offline jpv7

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 07:20:42 AM »
+1 on the Michelin Activ.  installed on the rear of a V7ii - Can't go wrong for the price.

Offline lorazepam

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 10:26:43 AM »
I am thinking about trying these Kenda K761 tires.
http://powersports.kendatire.com/en-us/find-a-tire/motorcyclescooter/dual-sportadventure/k761-dual-sport/
I think the 110/80-18 will fit the front, and the rear is the same size as stock. Anyone here ever use Kenda tires?

Offline thepittsburghguzzi

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 12:48:44 PM »
Another  :1: on the Pilot Activ. They handle well and seem to be lasting longer than the original Metzelers.
2012 V7 Classic - Scarlet
1979 KZ750 Twin - Copper

-Paul

Offline slopokes

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 02:52:35 PM »
My red suspenders go with the 705's....

Offline oldlegs

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2017, 03:40:32 PM »
Avon Roadriders on my V7 very pleased with them , had problems with 2 Pirelli sport demons. Steve.

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2017, 05:15:29 PM »
I have never found anything wrong with the Sport Demons. However, the rear does seem to wear out in about 6000 miles, which is about 1/2 of the mileage from the front.

A Swedish guy who used to be on the site did big miles on his Breva (same size rear) and used to fit a Pilot Activ on the rear and the Demon on the front; he found he doubled his mileage and the grip was very little different.

Recently I needed a new rear and the area I was in had very little in the way of choice. The only one available was a Metzeler MZ2 steel belted radial, an oem tire from a Bonneville. I have done about 500 miles on and so far it feels very good, more planted than the Sport Demon. Seemed to have good grip in the wet. After scrubbing the mold release off I hit "The Hill" (25 kms worth) and by the time I got to the bottom there were no chicken strips left on the rear at all. :thumb: Won't know about the wear factor as the bike is in hibernation for another three months, but it is supposed to be a good wearing tire. Only about $20NZ dearer than the Demon and a whole jump up in technology.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline Zinfan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2017, 08:43:12 PM »
Shinko 705's if your looking for a good and inexpensive 80/20 tire.

I'm assuming (dangerous I know) that since this is a V7 Stone it has tubeless rims and the 705's do not have an 18" front tubeless.  I've run the Kenda K761's on my Stone and they worked well if a bit noisy, I'd have to try and remember what tire life I got out of them but I didn't have any complaints.  No issue with fitting them.  I currently have a set of Pirelli Scorpion Trail II Dual Sport tires on the way, they are more of a 90/10 Road/Dirt tire but they cost about the same as Speed Demons so might not be what you are looking for pricewise.  Trying to find dual sport 18" tubeless front tires is always a challenge.

Offline DaSwami

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2017, 10:22:37 PM »
My closest dealer's servicwe manager recommends the Pilot Activs....

Offline lorazepam

• Gosling
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2017, 10:35:19 PM »
The front is the problem with the Shinko tires, no tubeless. I will continue my quest, with the Kendas in the lead right now. Avon used to make a tire called the Distanzia, which were pretty decent, but discontinued them. I have not found the Scorpion trails in stock in my search, where did you happen to find them?

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
    • Borealbreeze Bernese Mountain Dogs
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2017, 11:22:37 PM »
I'm about 6k (km) into a set of Scorpion Trails on chipseal roads with some gravel repair sections and I think Zinfan will like them.
Certainly better longevity than the Sport Demon, similar feel in the dry, good in the loose stuff, good in the wet, and so far none of the cupping I've read about on the front. I'll buy them again if I don't give the Pilot Activ's a try.
Interesting no one has mentioned the Bridgestone BT45.
They were a good tire for these roads; lasted longer than the Demons did, no grip concerns for moderate paced riding (the only thing that gets dragged around me is my arthritic butt getting out of bed and my left foot when I walk).
As for supply? Plan ahead if you can. I try to buy next season's tires mid-winter when the stock is being ramped up for spring.
One may write one's destiny but the unknown delivers it.

Offline redhawk47

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Traveler
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2017, 12:02:28 AM »
Tubeless 80/20 tires for a Stone are few and far between.
Kenda K-761 - mixed reviews, didn't care for the tread design, the one I saw on the front a R100GS had the tread pattern backwards IMO - yes, I check the direction arrows (maybe it was a rear tire?).
Stornello tires - rear looks good, front is a 90/10 at best. Tubeless. Radials?
Shinko 705 - I like these tires and use them on my other bikes, but no front tubeless. I almost decided to put a tube in front. If you go with them I suggest the 4.10-18 although it has a lower speed rating - 93 mph is fast enough for me; I don't know if the V7 can go that fast.
Avon Distanzias have been replaced by the TrailRider. Avon calls them 90/10s, but that must be the lawyers talking. I rate them 70/30 - they are more aggressive than 705s. Problem, no front the right size, but they do have a rear 110/80-18. This is what I mounted, with the rear 110/80 mounted on the front mounted backwards. It has the deeper tread of a rear tire - looks like a tractor tire. It will probably last four rear tires, and those are good for long miles according to reports. I only have about 200 miles on them so far, all road, some rain, and I am pleased so far.
Another possibility with a rear tire on the front is Continental TKC-70 with a 4.00-18.

Dan
2021 V85TT Centenario, 2016 V7II Stone, CSC TT250, Gone:KLR, CSC RX3,

Offline lorazepam

• Gosling
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2017, 01:42:08 AM »
The only place I found the Stornello tires is at AF1, and they want almost 400 for the pair. I think I will pass on those. I think the Avons are the ones I am going with. The Distanzias gave great mileage, and if the trail riders hold up as well as they did, I will be happy. It won't be the first time I have flipped a rear tire to use on the front, that is really not an issue for me.
Thanks redhawk, glad to hear the 110/80 will fit.

Offline Zinfan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2017, 02:08:15 AM »
The front is the problem with the Shinko tires, no tubeless. I will continue my quest, with the Kendas in the lead right now. Avon used to make a tire called the Distanzia, which were pretty decent, but discontinued them. I have not found the Scorpion trails in stock in my search, where did you happen to find them?

I found a front Scorpion at Revzilla but it might have been the last one there?  Anyways I also ordered a rear Scorpion from Revzilla but when they went to the warehouse to ship it they were out of stock and I ended up buying it from The Motorcycle Superstore but again I think they had low stock.  The email I got from Revzilla said they expected more stock in mid-August.  I have a worn set of Kenda K761's so when the Scorpions get here I can take a photo so you can see the difference in tread patterns if you want.  I think my front tire arrives on Saturday and the rear on Monday.

{edit} just took a look and it seems Motorcycle Superstore has two 18" Scorpion fronts in stock http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/77619/i/pirelli-scorpion-trail-ii-dual-sport-front-tire .  I don't see the correct rear tire size listed there though so it may be out of stock.

[edit 2}  Just for pricing info the front was $119.11 from Revzilla and the rear was $157.99 at the Superstore which I think is close to what Revzilla had it listed for. 
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 02:17:03 AM by Zinfan »

Offline lorazepam

• Gosling
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2017, 06:40:29 PM »
Ended up with the trail riders. They do look like tractor tires, very similar to the Distanzia I have used in the past. Mounted them and used tire beads. Took them up to speeds I will not be hitting with any regularity, and they tracked well, felt stable, but they do vibrate more than the Sport Demons, about like any tire with this design.
I am pleased with these tires out of the chute, and hope to get great mileage out of them. Here is a blog I stumbled across looking for something else, and these guys really love these tires. The pictures are fabulous, ant their trip is something I can only dream of doing.
http://earth-roamers.blogspot.com/2015/06/the-new-avon-trailrider.html

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2017, 09:24:21 PM »
I am thinking about trying these Kenda K761 tires.
http://powersports.kendatire.com/en-us/find-a-tire/motorcyclescooter/dual-sportadventure/k761-dual-sport/
I think the 110/80-18 will fit the front, and the rear is the same size as stock. Anyone here ever use Kenda tires?
That's what's on my calvin now. I have pushed them to the limits recently on the DRAGONS TAIL in the NC mountains and they preformed flawlessly. Not sure about mileage as they came on the bike when I got her.

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2017, 09:46:15 AM »
Strongly recommend the Michelin Pilot Activ tires.   Excellent grip, wet or dry.   Handle nice.   I'm getting 10 to 12K on the rear, almost double that for the front.   The front doesn't cup or get a weird shape.
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2017, 03:31:17 PM »
Interesting no one has mentioned the Bridgestone BT45.
They were a good tire for these roads; lasted longer than the Demons did, no grip concerns for moderate paced riding (the only thing that gets dragged around me is my arthritic butt getting out of bed and my left foot when I walk).
As for supply? Plan ahead if you can. I try to buy next season's tires mid-winter when the stock is being ramped up for spring.

I rode a Breva loaner when mine was in for warranty work. The bike felt terrible; I had no idea where the front end was or what it was doing. No BT45's for me thanks!
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
    • Borealbreeze Bernese Mountain Dogs
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2017, 09:54:27 PM »
I rode a Breva loaner when mine was in for warranty work. The bike felt terrible; I had no idea where the front end was or what it was doing. No BT45's for me thanks!
Was it the tires? I went through two fronts and a rear without any surprises. They weren't awe inspiring but they did what I asked.
Not sure where to head next. Michelins get a lot of good press for paved roads but I haven't read much about what they do in the loose stuff. The Kenda's sound interesting but I think the front might be a tad chubby at 110.
And then there's Avon. I only ever had one set. Ever. Maybe they were stale dated when I put them on the bike (long way back) or maybe they were built Friday afternoon after a pub lunch but I don't hold a grudge and will do my reading. Maybe I just had a bad experience.
One may write one's destiny but the unknown delivers it.

Offline OlofE

• New Egg
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2017, 05:54:33 AM »
Bumping this thread: Lorazepam, are you still happy with the Trailrider tyres? Wear? I'm asking since the rear Goldentyre GT 201 on my Stornello is squaring off at 5000 km (3000 miles). A bit early, isn't it? Otherwise these tyres are great - surprisingly grippy on tarmac, wet and dry. Which now makes me suspect that they are quite soft. So, could the Trail Riders perhaps be a better option?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 06:12:07 AM by OlofE »

Offline redhawk47

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Traveler
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2017, 11:04:04 AM »
Bumping this thread: Lorazepam, are you still happy with the Trailrider tyres? Wear? I'm asking since the rear Goldentyre GT 201 on my Stornello is squaring off at 5000 km (3000 miles). A bit early, isn't it? Otherwise these tyres are great - surprisingly grippy on tarmac, wet and dry. Which now makes me suspect that they are quite soft. So, could the Trail Riders perhaps be a better option?
I have about 2000 miles on my Trailriders, almost all pavement, and they are showing little wear. I wanted some 80/20s, tubeless, for my V7II Stone. Avon calls them 90/10, but compared to other brands they are easily 80/20, and I would rate them 70/30. The only Trailrider that will fit the front is a rear tire - I mounted it backwards. Because rear tires have deeper tread than fronts it looks likes a tractor tire; it will probably last for at least three rears. I am not an aggressive rider; I have been very pleased with the handling. On a recent trip with a group that was riding faster than I usually do I had no problems or concerns keeping up.
For more info on durability check out http://earth-roamers.blogspot.nl/. Avon in one of their sponsors, but I think their reviews are honest.
Dan

Offline redhawk47

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Traveler
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2018, 03:29:00 PM »
I have about 2000 miles on my Trailriders, almost all pavement, and they are showing little wear. I wanted some 80/20s, tubeless, for my V7II Stone. Avon calls them 90/10, but compared to other brands they are easily 80/20, and I would rate them 70/30. The only Trailrider that will fit the front is a rear tire - I mounted it backwards. Because rear tires have deeper tread than fronts it looks likes a tractor tire; it will probably last for at least three rears. I am not an aggressive rider; I have been very pleased with the handling. On a recent trip with a group that was riding faster than I usually do I had no problems or concerns keeping up.
For more info on durability check out http://earth-roamers.blogspot.nl/. Avon in one of their sponsors, but I think their reviews are honest.

Update on the Avon Trailriders: I put the 110/80-18 rear tire on the front, with the direction arrow pointing backwards. Handling was good, but I am not an aggressive rider. The only off pavement I did was gravel/dirt roads: worked fine, probably better than a street tire. About 8000 miles I noticed that the tire was cupping. About 10,000 miles I noticed that the rubber between the lugs had cracked and you could see the cord pattern!! I was on a trip and had another 1000 miles to go, so I rode it home - no problems. If I remember correctly, the thread depth new was 15mm. At 11,000 miles the thread depth is 6.5mm at best and 4mm by the cupping. So, if it wasn't cracked and cupped it might be good for another 5000 miles. I did not notice any problems with handling, but if it had changed it was gradual. Bottom line: I no longer recommend the Trailrider 110/80-18 rear tire mounted on the front of a V7. I wrote Avon about the cracking, and sent photos. They said that it was probably due to riding with low tire pressure. I started the 4600 mile trip with 36psi. I was "bad", I did not check tire pressure until I got home, it was 30psi. I wouldn't think that that would be low enough to cause the problem, although I had several days that were 95F to 100F. I think that there was not enough rubber over the cords.

I also installed a 130-80-18 Trailrider on the rear at the same time. I replaced it with a new Trailrider at 6000 miles because I was going on a 4600 mile trip. It had at least 2000 mile left on it. No issues.

Dan
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 03:31:54 PM by redhawk47 »
Dan

Offline redhawk47

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Traveler
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2018, 03:36:03 PM »
I am replacing my Trailriders with Kenda K761s and I have a question:

Which way to mount a 110/80-18 K761 front tire?

Usually a motorcycle tire has an arrow labeled "direction" or "rotation". This tire the arrow is labeled "DRIVE". If you mount the tire with the arrow pointing in the rotation direction the tread pattern is in the same direction as the rear tire. Most dual sport tires mount with the tread pattern in opposite directions. Also, I am told that tractor tires are labeled "DRIVE", and if you mount them on a non-driven wheel (front)you are told to mount them "backwards". What is the proper direction to mount this K761?

Dan
Dan

Offline slowmover

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Locked in the arms of a crazy life
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2018, 05:04:34 PM »
Getting the Michelins put on my 2013 Stone next week.Have the original tires and 11k on them. The front is wore out and the back still looks good but has a plug I put in 6k miles ago.I’ll be glad to get rid of all the sidewall cracks that were in the Metzlers from the factory.

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2018, 07:15:17 PM »
I went with Pirelli MT60s - radial front / bias rear in order to get the correct sizes (optional 110 on front). Have a few hundred miles and they're better than the Demons in every way. No more tracking ruts or feeling skittish on less than perfect roads. I ride gravel and dirt roads sometimes and these tires perform well. They're stock on the V7 Rough.
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2018, 08:45:32 PM »
Dan, the arrow is for the force being applied...in the rear the arrow should be in the direction of rotation because that's how the drive force is being applied.  Front tires exert force (braking) in the opposite direction so you'd mount that tire with the arrow going 'backward'.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline alanp

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2018, 10:50:07 PM »
Strongly recommend the Michelin Pilot Activ tires.   Excellent grip, wet or dry.   Handle nice.   I'm getting 10 to 12K on the rear, almost double that for the front.   The front doesn't cup or get a weird shape.

Just another vote for the Pilot Activ's.  I find them to be vastly superior to the Sport Demons - track better, don't follow grooves, better grip, better handling, holding up much better.   The only dirt I ride is graded dirt/gravel, but I think they are better on these as well. 
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 10:51:30 PM by alanp »
Niwot, Colorado
'08 1200 Sport - Black
'16 V7II Stone - Black
Previous Guzzis
'07 Griso, '07 Norge, '03 California SS, '02 California SS, '02 V11 Lemans,  '83 Lemans III, '77 Lemans

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here