Author Topic: V35 basket case project - in India  (Read 3686 times)

Offline josh77

• New Egg
V35 basket case project - in India
« on: December 20, 2019, 09:34:45 PM »
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and this is the first Moto Guzzi that i've laid my hands on. I've worked with a bunch of different motorcycles before doing ground up rebuilds, but this one i think is going to be a bit of a challenge. I'm not sure if i'm going to get it to as close to stock as I can. Or if i'll go for an all out custom build. But the idea is to start rebuilding the engine and drive train and then as i go frame up decide what I want to do depending on availability of parts and of course cost. (we pay in excess of 42% duty on our imports here in India)
Here are some pics of the motorcycle, or whats left of it. Do share your thoughts and your hopes for it.  :popcorn: :popcorn:

« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 09:36:32 PM by josh77 »

Offline Fnq1000

• New Egg
Re: V35 basket case project - in India
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2019, 04:06:56 AM »
Oh my
Hate to say it but what’s the scrap metal value......

Sorry

Online Frenchfrog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2019, 07:05:52 AM »
seen worst brought back from the brink but would it be worth all the effort and outlay ????All the best anyway !!

Offline wirespokes

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2019, 12:15:21 AM »
Did it fall off the dock twenty years ago and just now dredged up?

It looks horrible and can't imagine it being good for anything but scrap or some of the parts. The aluminum is badly pitted and the steel badly rusted. The starter probably is total rust inside. Good luck getting the carbs apart to rebuild.

With the cost of replacing so many parts, is it worth it? I wouldn't think so.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2019, 12:15:21 AM »

Offline josh77

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2019, 02:53:27 AM »
I understand the concerns, and they're all very valid, but i think i like a challenge and to make some mindless decisions. Yes sure it may not be worth restoring, but there aren't too many Guzzi's in the country, like this or any other. I've seen a V65SP, a 65C and an Ambassador in different parts of the country over the years, so it may well be worth it just to have a different motorcycle. Here are some more pics to keep y'll entertained. The piston rings were stuck but nothing that some penetrating oil and a heat couldn't undo. The bottom end surprisingly looks to be in good shape. Can't say the same about the clutch and starter though. @wirespokes you were spot on with the carbs, but I've got a sset of carbs that i think will work on this project.

[url=https://ibb.co/Bqscy8P]

« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 02:57:35 AM by josh77 »

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2019, 07:56:42 AM »
Enjoy your project, Josh.  You'll learn a lot, whether you just attempt to fix it or actually get it on the road. 

When I've found a "special" (to me) bike to fix that needed tons of work, many times I've found a better one to fix along the way while looking for parts and advice.  The lesson learned was to be careful with spending money on very expensive parts first, because sometimes it can be better used to buy another bike to fix.  Then your current bike becomes a great parts bike.   Several times I've bought a second or third bike missing or needing the exact parts that I already had on the earlier bikes.  It made life a lot easier.  Once people know you're into a certain kind of bike, they seem to be easier to find.

I'll be watching your thread.  Glad you've got a Guzzi to make you happy- very cool!

1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2019, 08:14:48 AM »
Looking forward to the results on this one. Being that Moto Guzzis are scarce in your country as you say, and if you have the time, tools, patience and skills, I'd say why not. Just be sure the parts that involve safety and solid. Looking at the frame closely, you'll likely need to reinforce some areas, or perhaps you can replace some items with used parts if they are too far gone. Lots of help and support on this forum. Enjoy and thanks for sharing.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 08:22:51 AM by Groover »
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2019, 08:31:00 AM »
in India? Like in the bottom of the Indian Ocean?  Wow my man, this is a major undertaking. All the best and I'll be following along!
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline josh77

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2019, 10:04:24 AM »
Thanks for all the motivations guys.
@cliffrod I hear you and know exactly what you mean. I'm going to be pretty careful with the expenses to make sure I don't end up spending for a ferrari and just have two wheels on it.  :grin:

@groover: once the frame gets completely dismantled, i'll be sending it off to get bead blasted and will have it inspected for structural failures.
I found a couple of cheap frames on  European ebay at really good prices, but my plan is to first rebuild the engine and get it running. Once i've got the engine going, i'm going to look at the rest of the motorcycle.

Worst case it'll make for a really awesome looking coffee table.

Online Frenchfrog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2019, 12:38:12 PM »
Your a brave man josh and it's good you realise that it might not be worth much....If you need help with posting on parts if suppliers wont do India give me a PM...also be careful about the frame...I very recently saw some smallblock guzzi lower frame rails that were badly corroded and the walls on them at least are not that thick...it surprised us.At least in India you have access to skilled cheap tinsmiths and machinists ...and 350 parts are plentiful second hand in Europe as you have no doubt found !

Offline josh77

• New Egg
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2019, 12:36:18 PM »
Hey everyone, been busy with work and stuff but here's an update on the bottom end. Quite surprisingly it looks to be in perfect condition. main bearings as well as the connecting. The tappet tubes are also within spec. I'm going to use some plastiguage and check the clearances on the connecting bearings. Is there a source for OEM bearings or aftermarket for that matter. I'd like to consider putting in a new set of bearings even though i think they'll measure to be in spec. May as well save myself that later effort and get to ride it more than wrench. :bike-037:

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2019, 03:41:10 PM »
The part number is 61062010. They might be in stock here, but might not - you'll have to email to ask. http://www.harpermoto.com/c-1-2-bearing-61062010.html. Only 2 at Teo Lamers: https://shop.tlm.nl/en/bearing-shell-big-end-v35-50-610620100010-moto-guzzi , none at Stein-Dinse. Special order from MG Cycle: http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3224. Same as Benelli 900 Sei, even the same part number, so this may be another source: https://www.benelliparts.de/
Charlie

Offline Blaufeld66

• Hatchling
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2019, 02:25:00 AM »
Welcome to the forum and enjoy your project!
And remember, "Surround yourself with people that wants you to succeed"!
 :thumb:
Sold:
1984 V65C
1985 850-T5
2001 V11 Sport Rosso Mandello Edition
2008 Stelvio 1200 4V
Own:
2003 California EV

Offline huub

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2020, 01:08:18 AM »
great project!
once media blasted the engine wil look just as good as any smallblock, 
i should have a V50 frame you can have for free , but posting a frame probably doesnt make sense with all the cheap labour available in india.
this might be the opportunity to build your egli-style frame. 
the clutch should be ok , just change the plate, they tend to rattle to pieces.
i used to fit renault 4 clutch plates ( identical!) but i'm not sure those are available over there..

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2020, 02:57:32 AM »
I applaud your ability to see the value of something as more than the sum of it’s parts.
I’m still in awe of the fence post rebuild, yours is of a similar ilk, but a bit more so. Sure you could do something easier, but again like the great Man said..
“We choose to do these and the other things..
Not because they are easy, but because they are hard...”.      (I love that bloke’s ability to inspire)
I will give you one bit of advice though.
Take careful note of the people who say it’s “ Not worth it..” Write the names on a plaque and hang it on your wall.
You’ll need it later.. :popcorn:

how to add a link to a picture

Fence post rebuild..Tell me it’s not worth it..
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 03:01:32 AM by Huzo »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2020, 03:05:40 AM »
Did it fall off the dock twenty years ago and just now dredged up?

It looks horrible and can't imagine it being good for anything but scrap or some of the parts. The aluminum is badly pitted and the steel badly rusted. The starter probably is total rust inside. Good luck getting the carbs apart to rebuild.

With the cost of replacing so many parts, is it worth it? I wouldn't think so.
:clock: :clock: :clock:

Offline josh77

• New Egg
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2020, 09:03:58 AM »
Wow there’s so much welcome information coming in all to quick. I haven’t been on a forum for over ten years so that’s something I’m coming to terms with as well.

@antietam classic cycle thanks for the leads and links. I’ve got a question though, I’ve got a v35II as well as an imola parts manual and the bearing number for front are 19065623 for rear are 19066522 and the con rods shells are listed as 19062022 Youve listed some part number that are totally different. Is there something I’m missing here? Did Moto Guzzi update numbers or are these aftermarket production numbers?

@hubb thank you so much for the offer with that frame, I will make an assessment of what I have when it’s back from bead blasting and keep your offer in mind. Do you remember the model of Renault car that the clutch was from. Most auto ancillary parts are manufactured in India and we have access to them, it would definitely be worth a look.

@ blaufeld66 that’s great advice for life, should go up on a plaque on the wall along with those name @huzo is talking about.  :grin:

@huzo thanks for the fence post link, going to seek some inspiration from there... now  :popcorn:

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2020, 09:32:38 AM »
@antietam classic cycle thanks for the leads and links. I’ve got a question though, I’ve got a v35II as well as an imola parts manual and the bearing number for front are 19065623 for rear are 19066522 and the con rods shells are listed as 19062022 You've listed some part number that are totally different. Is there something I’m missing here? Did Moto Guzzi update numbers or are these aftermarket production numbers?

I can't explain the difference in part nos. - they both seem to bring up the same part. This is the manual I was going by:
http://thisoldtractor.com/mg_manuals/spare_parts_catalog_v35-v50.pdf . Several others I looked at have the same parts nos.
Charlie

Offline josh77

• New Egg
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2020, 09:36:41 AM »
Here a pic of the disassembled frame. Just using a brass wire brush attached  to the end of a hand grinder and some paint stripper for the stubborn bits, It’s down to the bare metal. Surprisingly the metal isn’t pitted save a few spots. I’m going to send it off to the sandblasting unit and check for welds and cracks once it’s back. Also made myself the nut holdfast tool for the clutch using an old 27mm socket and a ms plate cut to size. While the centre part of the clutch was hacked and welded to a pipe to make the spline holding tool.

Offline josh77

• New Egg
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2020, 09:48:13 AM »
Thanks for that link @antietam classic cycle. I’m going to write into these guys and figure if there actually is a difference or it’s all just the same. Maybe the changed as the changed vendors or model years. I’ve seen this happen sometimes with the Japanese brands.

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2020, 12:58:30 PM »
I think hubb said Renault 4
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Offline huub

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2020, 01:39:18 PM »

@hubb thank you so much for the offer with that frame, I will make an assessment of what I have when it’s back from bead blasting and keep your offer in mind. Do you remember the model of Renault car that the clutch was from. Most auto ancillary parts are manufactured in India and we have access to them, it would definitely be worth a look.

the renault 4, my V65tt used to consume clutch platen when used off road, so i changed them on a regular basis....
i eventually bought a racing clutch plate( withut the cush drive) , that solved the issue.

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2020, 02:55:45 PM »
The way the frame turned out with minimal attention is very encouraging. Keep up the good work. For later on, I found a YouTube video from a guy who puts a mirror shine on the aluminium spar frame very helpful. He used increasingly finer wet 'n dry, lots of elbow grease & finishes off with a couple of different polishes. Worked well on my rocker covers. Time & effort but very satisfying.

You may be able to rescue the friction surfaces of the flywheel (if the teeth are OK) & the sprung clutch. I use 1200 wet 'n dry. A new flywheel is likely to be expensive (it is for the V7), a sprung clutch less so.

Good luck, trust it all goes well. Whereabouts in India is this project taking place?

Mal.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline josh77

• New Egg
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2020, 07:09:00 AM »
@malik those  covers look amazing. I’m sure there’s tons of elbow grease in there.  Thanks for the encouragement. :rolleyes:
I’m in Mumbai India. :rolleyes:

Offline wirespokes

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2020, 12:26:30 AM »
Josh - sounds like you've got a great attitude going in on this one. I do understand where you're coming from.

I've taken on hopeless cases my whole life just for the challenge. People have wondered why I bother and laugh because I could buy new cheaper. There is a lot to be gained from the experience.

It's not always about the money or the cost. Some guys build up bikes then sell them for less than invested. Something other than financial gain was realized.

I bought an old R90S for $400 and it cost more to ship it home. The shipper apologized on delivery that he'd swept up the mufflers and tossed them, if that gives you any idea of its condition. Took me a week to free the carb slides and chokes, and about that to remove the headers - they were totally corroded into the heads and had to be chiseled out. Looks like your project isn't maybe quite as bad.

I've found that the satisfaction gained from bringing something back from the long dead is very rewarding.

I'm happy you've got your head in the right place about this project. I think you'll have fun!

Offline josh77

• New Egg
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2020, 11:17:50 AM »
Hello everyone,

Here’s wishing all of you a great start to 2020. Things were a bit slow over the holidays, but just today I got a whole load of parts back from bead blasting. They’ve all cleaned up really well and I’m really stoked. Although there are a couple of speed bumps to jump over before I begin reassembly.

The clutch casing and the bottom part of the engine block has some serious damage due to water and silt siting in the clutch housing. The plan is to fill it up with some TIG weld and grind and file it down and shape it. The gearbox also has signs pitting from the water damage but it’s only superficial, so I think it’ll be ok.

Offline josh77

• New Egg
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2020, 11:19:46 AM »

I've found that the satisfaction gained from bringing something back from the long dead is very rewarding.

I'm happy you've got your head in the right place about this project. I think you'll have fun!

You couldn’t have said it better.

Offline Rick4003

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2020, 04:28:19 AM »
Hello everyone,

Here’s wishing all of you a great start to 2020. Things were a bit slow over the holidays, but just today I got a whole load of parts back from bead blasting. They’ve all cleaned up really well and I’m really stoked. Although there are a couple of speed bumps to jump over before I begin reassembly.

The clutch casing and the bottom part of the engine block has some serious damage due to water and silt siting in the clutch housing. The plan is to fill it up with some TIG weld and grind and file it down and shape it. The gearbox also has signs pitting from the water damage but it’s only superficial, so I think it’ll be ok.

That is some serious corrosion there! That might be a part that you should consider replacing... If you still want to reuse it due to the difficulty getting new parts in India you should be careful about TIG welding it. Aluminium can warp very much from welding on it. I ruined a top triple clamp trying to weld up excess holes. And that welding was much less substantial than what you will need to do on that casting. Possibly you could consider a JP weld/Chemical Metal filler. I don't think you would have a massive problem strength wise as there is still a large portion of good metal on the other 3/4 of the housing.

Moto Guzzi 850 T5 (850 sport) - 1985
Moto Guzzi Ambassador - 1967
Yamaha FZR 600 - 1996 - SOLD

Offline josh77

• New Egg
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2020, 01:14:36 PM »
Hi guys, sorry but life’s been hectic and I just haven’t had the time to get stuff done. I managed to get all the welding done and fill in all the holes in the aluminium. It was a bit of a challenge coz the aluminium was really brittle but we got it to work in the end. I then filed and shaped all the welding and it seems like it’s ready to go.

I have ordered a bunch of parts from gutsibits and waiting from them to arrive, but I think I’m going to bolt the bottom end back up this weekend, as well as the gear box. I’ve also waiting on some new valves I made to come back from the nitriding process. They are half the cost of the cheapest valves I found on the Internet. Will post pics of those as soon as I have them in hand. I’ve made a few extra sets in case any of you would like to try em out. I’m still a bit concerned about the fly wheel. It does have some pits from the water damage and rust. I’m going to post some pics and hope someone can shed some light on if it’ll work or not.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2020, 01:35:52 PM »
You couldn’t have said it better.
You and fence post Guzzi are #1... :bow: :thumb:

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here