Author Topic: V35 basket case project - in India  (Read 3683 times)

Offline josh77

• New Egg
Re: V35 basket case project - in India
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2020, 04:19:37 AM »
Hey everyone,

So there’s some good news and bad news. The bad news obviously has to do with corona virus and things have slowed down with everything here in India including work and deliveries etc. I thought it would be best to use the down time to put the engine together but that won’t happen because I don’t have all the parts I need, but I’m not going to complain about it. Things could be a lot worse than they are for me here and they definitely are a lot worse in Italy and Europe and for everyone around the world too. We can only pray that we And our loved ones get thru this safely.

The good news though is that I’ve got the bottom end together, and the gearbox as well. The cardan drive is a bit of a shit show but it isn’t something that isn’t fixable as with most things I’m finding. The pics will tell you all.

I also managed to coax a stuck piston ring out after a while on the lathe...

That aside I decided to have a go at the forks, I’ve never worked on guzzi front forks before and was surprised to fix two different damper rods inside. Is this how it’s supposed to be? The part number for the dampers are the same for both legs so I’m surprised. Also is there any information about reconditioning or re sealing these? Do people convert these forks to traditional Japanese damper rod style forks? Because from what I’ve read these dampers don’t seem to list too long. Any pointers towards this would be greatly appreciated

Here are some pics of the bottom end. Can’t get the covers on just yet as I’m waiting on the oil seals to arrive via mail.

Look forward to hearing all your comments and suggestions

Offline josh77

• New Egg
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2020, 04:51:52 AM »
Bump bump. Can anyone help with my questions?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2020, 08:44:27 AM »
Both dampers should be the same. The dampers are sealed units, there is really no way to recondition or reseal them. I have been able to drill a hole in the very top to drain and refill them. The only upgrade I've seen is Wirth springs and FAC dampers.
Charlie

Offline ozarquebus

• Grand Canyon Pack Rat
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Riding since 1979
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2020, 02:09:16 PM »
I admire your ingenuity and perserverance. More power to you! Thanks, for all the very interesting seeing your posts. Tell us what your shop is like.
John

V1000 G5 (ex-cop impersonator)
 Convert Hangar Queen

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2020, 02:09:16 PM »

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here