Author Topic: Successful air filter change on V7 Classic: contribution to tribal knowledge  (Read 1028 times)

Offline sstone14

• New Egg
So I finally did have success getting the airbox cover out of the bike frame from beneath the gas tank without having to remove the gas tank, but it was not easy, so I thought I'd share my experience and some images from it, since everyone has been super helpful to me, and now I finally have a bit of experience that I can contribute to the collective tribal knowledge of Guzzi wrenching we have going here. Hopefully this can be some help to the next guy or gal who finds themself struggling with this task with this pretty niche bike.

Again, it's a 2010 Moto Guzzi V7 Classic.

First off, definitely start with this super helpful set of instructions from Joe: https://flickr.com/photos/sign216/11470971416/in/album-72157638864403325/

Here's what I'd like to add to those:

I had to separate the airbox cover into its two parts. I couldn't fit it out of the frame while it was still put together. Joe's instructions say that separating these two pieces isn't necessary, but I couldn't figure out how to get the cover out without taking it apart. And even if it is possible, separating the pieces just makes it a little bit easier. Of course, you have to get the two pieces unscrewed from each other while they're still inside the frame, and you may need a flexible shaft screwdriver for this (as indicated by Joe in his instructions).

After separating them, the "Cover" (part #:GU32113410) will come out easily, but watch for the gasket which may fall out. The "Filter cover" (part #:GU32116910) is going to be the thing that gives you trouble.

I will say, disconnecting the regulator entirely made it easier to set those cables aside, and gave me some much needed additional room to maneuver the filter cover.

Grand finale: see pics below for the orientation needed to slip the filter cover in and out of the bike's frame without forcing it on any side. You want to extract it from the left side of the bike. You want the front of the filter cover facing down, and the top of the filter cover facing the right side of the bike.

I appreciate everyone's input to my posts and questions, and offer this tiny bit of wisdom from experience in the spirit of gratitude and reciprocity. I hope this helps the three other people in the world riding around on V7Cs.

And just for fun, there's a pic of the bike on the ride I took it on later that day, complete with blue pipe heat damage from that time I rode it on one cylinder.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 04:04:58 PM by sstone14 »
'10 V7 Classic

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
SStone,

Glad it was a success.  Thanks for expanding on my guide.  The whole thing sounds easy, until you get into it, eh?

Hope to see you on the road sometime,
Joe
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
I think it was Charlie's imput that you have to twist it around to get it out. There are alot of V7C's out there.
Glad you finally got it out, square peg out a round hole.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline sstone14

• New Egg
SStone,

Glad it was a success.  Thanks for expanding on my guide.  The whole thing sounds easy, until you get into it, eh?

Hope to see you on the road sometime,
Joe

Haha, Joe, so true. As I get more and more maintenance projects under my belt I'm realizing, however long you think it's going to take you, you should allow an additional 4 hours of flex time for the project to expand into.
'10 V7 Classic

Wildguzzi.com

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
Looks like the Breva.

A real bear of a thing. :evil:

Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here