Author Topic: Fun to discuss-Jackal or Scout for cross-country trip..  (Read 9743 times)

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
Fun to discuss-Jackal or Scout for cross-country trip..
« on: June 15, 2015, 07:03:05 AM »
We are planning on a (yes I know) blast from Massachusetts to the Grand Canyon in the next few weeks- one of those quest ideas (not mine) that come up and must be exercised.

Originally we were going to take the 2 new Scouts, but the Jackal, 2 up, is suddenly looking like a viable alternative-slightly better fuel range, a decent screen that doesn't cause wobbling at speed, swapping riders to reduce fatigue. Plus I can fix whatever is likely to happen, and of course a widespread network of dealers!

I thought folks here may enjoy discussing. I'm happy either way-I didn't buy a Scout for this trip, but I like it a lot and don't mind.

Offline arveno

• Gaggle Hero
    • ddleathers.com
Re: Fun to discuss-Jackal or Scout for cross-country trip..
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 07:11:43 AM »

i vote for the jackal .( less worry about riding a brand new bike= more enjoyment for your trip )

:popcorn:

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 07:21:35 AM »
You must have a MUCH better seat on the Jackal than I ever did.

There's no way in living hell I could have made that trip, 2-up on the Jackal, in any compressed time frame.

I could have made that trip on the Jackal for sure, but solo, and taking my time.

I mean, I could have gone 2-up, but neither of us really prefers 2-up anyway.

So MY VOTE would be take the 2 Scouts.

But YMMV.

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 07:34:32 AM »
I'd be wanting AUX fuel on either of those choices due to both bikes limited fuel range.

We did 2-up to the Virginia National in 2012 on a 2000 model Bassa.  Two 500 miles days to get there.  Two 500 mile days to get home.

Air Hawk is your friend! 
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 07:34:32 AM »

keithl

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 07:43:13 AM »
We are planning on a (yes I know) blast from Massachusetts to the Grand Canyon in the next few weeks- one of those quest ideas (not mine) that come up and must be exercised.

Originally we were going to take the 2 new Scouts, but the Jackal, 2 up, is suddenly looking like a viable alternative-slightly better fuel range, a decent screen that doesn't cause wobbling at speed, swapping riders to reduce fatigue. Plus I can fix whatever is likely to happen, and of course a widespread network of dealers!

I thought folks here may enjoy discussing. I'm happy either way-I didn't buy a Scout for this trip, but I like it a lot and don't mind.

For me the Jackal would be way too cramped (knees too bent) for a trip like that.   Highway pegs would help some, but the Scout would be much more comfortable for me or anyone of average hight or greater I would think.

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 08:13:36 AM »
Thanks--we have Airhawks for the Jackal, we've done 600 mile days 2 up. And we have the fuel bottles, as the Scouts get low fuel lights at 120 miles in normal riding, Jackal gets to indicated 150.

For further complications, we have roadside assistance on the Scouts-doubt we'll need any, though.

We'll take the Guzzi out for a 2 up thrash shortly, it's been a while since we rode it together. Plus a close inspection of the tires, ME88s that are a few years old but looking good. I'll keep you posted.

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 08:24:18 AM »
I'd definitely choose the Guzzi over the Scouts for that kind of ride.

3.2 gallons of gas and feet way forward would get old pretty fast for me, on a trip like that.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 08:31:32 AM »
I guess "way" forward is a matter of perspective.

Compared to rear sets sure.

Compared to a Jackal, not as much.

Probably same as something with floorboards.

And I believe one of those Scouts is set up with the reduced reach hardware/adjustment.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2015, 08:57:44 AM »
Yeah.  "for me".

After riding the new Scout, I just couldn't see it as a 500-600 mile per day type ride.

Loved the driveline, though.  It's got potential.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2015, 10:03:38 AM »
I don't think the purpose of the Scout is a cross country bike.

The California is an all around bike that will take you anywhere.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 01:45:50 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline mach1mustang351

• Hatchling
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2015, 11:25:17 AM »
So a scout was on my short list of new bikes I want... are they awesome??

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2015, 11:28:08 AM »
Kev is correct, both Scouts have reduced reach controls, so not much difference in how the legs are set, though the Jackal is more "police" than cruiser. And I agree the Guzzi makes more sense..

I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on air- vs liquid-cooling. Again, all in fun, as the real decision will be between her comfort on a shieldless bike on the highway vs the lack of luggage for 2 on the Guzzi.

I do like the idea of sitting on the back.

Mach1, the Scout is awesome. Just don't expect a sportbike. I consider it a vintage bike with a modern drivetrain and '70s suspension. Lots of fun, and very nice to look at.

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2015, 12:13:11 PM »
While I see nothing wrong with the Jackal for cross country - experience tells me go with a Scout.

I don't have any of the ergostrictions others often have with the California line so they really have no basis in my Scout preference.

My experience is with taking a Scout from Ft Devens, Massachusetts to Monterey, Claifornia and it was outstanding. Since I was going to be taking a glacial pace (or my Gal Sal would say, a bumble bee's route) and burning an entire month to get the trip in, I wanted the Scout set up just right.

I had raised the entire unit through suspension and added tires with greater sidewall height. This went a long ways towards a very squishy and comfortable ride in straight lines but I paid for it in turns of most any kind. As I did a lot of "turn off here" camping the suspension upgrades played well here as well.

Since I recognized that; due to the proposed route, factory tank and my likelihood to be often distracted by bright&shinys and dangly bobbers (again, wife says it's like trying to travel with a crow at the controls.... "Hey, what's that!?!") I increased fuel capacity considerably. Definitely paid off as I would certainly have run out of fuel several times in subordinating more practical concerns to the the higher draw of curiosity and "got's ta knows".

Controls were quite logically placed for long distance travel and I seldom found myself weary at the end of any given day. Noteworthy as 350+ mile days often got me as little as 35+ miles closer to my destination. Here too, the factory seat contributed significantly in barcaloungin' me down the road. On second thought, the seat may have been a bit too comfortable as I recall on several occasions feeling quite nappy of an afternoon - especially with a belly full-o diner fare. Rocking of the new suspension, squishy seat and easy lazy controls may need to be revisited now as regards intelligent upgrades in prioritizing makin' miles higher than a bit of shut-eye in the shade of an elm in Anywhere-U.S.A.

Dealer support never was an issue as the rock solid nature of the Scout and its long, long years of development had contributed to a predictable and reliable product.

Unfortunately - excluding dealer left-overs - no new Scouts have been offered since ihc pulled the plug in 1980.

Should you find a nice used one - mine are not for sale - I hope this helps as an example of the quality of a Scout in cross-country travel.

Todd.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

keithl

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2015, 12:28:31 PM »
If you're comfortable with your knees really bent and in a sitting position like you are sitting straight up in a chair with your feet flat on the floor for a long period of time (not a criticism) than take the jackal, if you like to stretch out your legs the scout or similar bike would be better. 

Online kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2015, 12:49:30 PM »
I'm a long legged 6 ft (34" inseam typically a tad short)  and the highway pegs on my Jackal, combined with the almost level transition between seat and pillion on my Maund custom (allows me to scoot back a bit) gives me lot's of room. A straight (police) posture still seems about right, I'd say.Without the backrest, I can load this up pretty well. 2 up would be a challenge cargo wise, I'd think.

'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

keithl

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2015, 01:00:13 PM »

This may help.

Online PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2015, 01:34:16 PM »
I never had a Jackal but would not have hesitated to ride my EV cross country. Ned's seat and lower bars worked for me. One up no problem but can't see how it would be comfortable for a passenger.

Pete

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2015, 01:49:36 PM »
Todd, IHC?  Really?

I'd still take the Jackal.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 01:50:35 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2015, 03:59:41 PM »

This may help.

The problems with that graphic representation potentially include:

* it looks different if you're taller or shorter than the person in the illustration. Did you use the OP's height?

* it looks different if you have the stock or reduced reach controls. Did you use the reduced reach controls like the OP has on his?

* it looks different on the higway if you put the heel or ball of your foot on the peg.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 05:28:45 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2015, 04:10:57 PM »
That cartoon dude is huge!

I'm thinking she'll want to take the Scout if only because that was the bike she had in mind when forming the idea. We have done the 2 up thing on the Jackal, it does limit luggage a bit but no camping will be involved.

Outside of that Jackal trip, all my long tours, including a 3 month journey around a good part of the country, have been on sport bikes. Generally easier on my lower back compared to my former, lovely old EV. The Jackal has the Eldo police bars that pull me forward a bit, much like the Scout.

keithl

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2015, 08:43:17 PM »
The problems with that graphic representation potentially include:

* it looks different if you're taller or shorter than the person in the illustration. Did you use the OP's height?

* it looks different if you have the stock or reduced reach controls. Did you use the treasures reach controls like the OP has on his?

* it looks different on the higway if you put the heelv or ball of your foot on the peg.
True, your mileage may vary.

keithl

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2015, 08:44:44 PM »
That cartoon dude is huge!

I'm thinking she'll want to take the Scout if only because that was the bike she had in mind when forming the idea. We have done the 2 up thing on the Jackal, it does limit luggage a bit but no camping will be involved.

Outside of that Jackal trip, all my long tours, including a 3 month journey around a good part of the country, have been on sport bikes. Generally easier on my lower back compared to my former, lovely old EV. The Jackal has the Eldo police bars that pull me forward a bit, much like the Scout.

Cartoon dude's inseam is 32",  according to cycle-ergo.com.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 08:46:10 PM by keithl »

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2015, 05:49:08 AM »
Yeah.  "for me".

After riding the new Scout, I just couldn't see it as a 500-600 mile per day type ride.

Loved the driveline, though.  It's got potential.

:1:

Here's hoping that Project 156 spawns a sporting standard production bike.
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

biking sailor

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2015, 06:35:31 AM »
Here's hoping that Project 156 spawns a sporting standard production bike.

I am hoping the same, with the addition of an adventure touring and a sport touring to go with the naked sport standard.    :thumb:

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2015, 07:16:40 AM »
I am hoping the same, with the addition of an adventure touring and a sport touring to go with the naked sport standard.    :thumb:
Actually that Scout engine looks like it's in the Polaris Pikes Peak race bike entry.  Someone might grab a photo on the net, I'm on my phone now.
John L 

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2015, 07:34:02 AM »
Yep.  Victory's Project 156 hill climb bike runs a variant of the Scout engine. 

Scout

Project 156 Pikes Peak Hill Climb bike

« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 07:35:10 AM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline Route140

• Gosling
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2015, 02:25:51 PM »
I'm thinking she'll want to take the Scout if only because that was the bike she had in mind when forming the idea.

Have you considered taking the Jackal and one of the Scouts? Would be interesting to hear how the two compare on a trip like this.
Former Guzzi's          2020 KTM 790 Adventure
2000 V11 Sport         2006 Triumph Scrambler 900        
2008 1200 Sport       1987 BMW K75S        
2011 Stelvio             1979 Triumph T140D
Princeton MA            1978 Ducati 900 GTS
                               1973 Norton 850 Commando

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2015, 04:00:34 PM »
I can do that already, quite a few miles on the Jackal this year following her Scout, then my own miles on my Scout. But this is a Guzzi forum, so I've held back a bit.

But..that is a possibility, I suppose.

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2015, 05:33:58 PM »
I can do that already, quite a few miles on the Jackal this year following her Scout, then my own miles on my Scout. But this is a Guzzi forum, so I've held back a bit.

But..that is a possibility, I suppose.

It may be a Guzzi forum, but many of us are interested in multiple brands/bikes.

Would love to hear more...especially since my Jackal was in my top 3 bikes I've owned.

Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Hymes Inc.

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2015, 09:03:11 PM »
I'm short. 5'6" to be exact with a 30" inseam. I haven't ridden a scout but I have sat on one. Love that it is low but I don't feel right leaning forward with my feet forward. I am very much a "police" style rider and even find the slight forward lean of my GS1100E to be uncomfortable for any distance.  And to stir the pot a bit, air cooled vs. liquid, air hands down  :thumb:

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here