Author Topic: Stelvio - Mistral Puff Noise  (Read 1285 times)

Offline bettythebear

• Gaggle Mentor
Stelvio - Mistral Puff Noise
« on: April 27, 2019, 01:25:59 PM »
**New Content**-
Hey all. I've really been thinking about a sound I've been getting from the Mistral can ever since I put it on. When the bike is idling, it just sounds like there's small little puff noises coming from the can. I don't think it's a leak anywhere else, as I can truly hear it coming from the end of the can. The bike seems to be running fine for the 1000 miles since I put it on, besides the weird one cylinder moment the other day. Has anyone ever had a noise like this?

Hey everybody, I'm at work right now and not in front of the bike, but I have a few quick ?'s:

-last night I tried using both cigarette power ports for a compressor and neither were working. Are they on the same fuse? They've both worked in the past. I ruled out the compressor by plugging it into the car.

-it's been about 500 miles since I put a Mistral pipe on the bike. I never did any sort of reset or anything, and I thought the fueling would've improved by now, but it just feels a little off. Should I have disconnected the battery or something to cause a reset? Also, I noticed when I took the stock one off, that there was a gasket type ring between the muffler and the pipe where it clamped to the pipe. When I installed the new one it's just metal on metal as there wasn't enough clearance for the gasket. Does that sound correct?

I figure I'll eventually go the way of the Beetle map, I'm just not quite there yet.

edited
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 02:35:52 PM by bettythebear »
2011 MG v7 Classic
2020 Husqvarna Vitpilen 401

Offline Xlratr

• Gaggle Mentor
  • (ex) Stelvio NTX, '78 Honda 750F2, '97 FXDWG
Re: Stelvio - exhaust & power outlets
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 03:16:01 PM »
If I recall correctly, the fuse on the power outlet is 5A. You may have blown the fuse with your compressor.
John

I ain't too young to realize, that I ain't too old to try ...

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 03:22:01 PM »
I have a portable compressor that I run off a plug that is wired directly to the battery (battery tender wiring). The compressor uses a 15 amp fuse.

Can't help with the exhaust - but someone will soon.
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200

Offline Xlratr

• Gaggle Mentor
  • (ex) Stelvio NTX, '78 Honda 750F2, '97 FXDWG
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 04:25:13 PM »
The "metal on metal" fit you described for the Mistral is is right and in my opinion much better than the gasket solution. I also have a Mistral on my Stelvio.
I have a map for the Stelvio that you are welcome to try if you want. You can contact me via PM.
John
John

I ain't too young to realize, that I ain't too old to try ...

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 04:25:13 PM »

Offline bettythebear

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Stelvio - Mistral Puff Noise
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 02:36:50 PM »
edited the original post with this update:

Hey all. I've really been thinking about a sound I've been getting from the Mistral can ever since I put it on. When the bike is idling, it just sounds like there's small little puff noises coming from the can. I don't think it's a leak anywhere else, as I can truly hear it coming from the end of the can. The bike seems to be running fine for the 1000 miles since I put it on, besides the weird one cylinder moment the other day. Has anyone ever had a noise like this?
2011 MG v7 Classic

Offline HarveyMushman

• Gosling
    • Photo Galleries
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019, 03:07:20 PM »
edited the original post with this update:

Its normal. If you take the db-killer out it'll probably reduce the "puff-puff" noise but your engine will run like crap. 
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 03:39:10 PM by HarveyMushman »
Tim

Online Dave Swanson

• Gaggle Hero
  • Northern Illinois USA
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2019, 03:58:46 PM »
A Beetle map will improve the engine fueling!
Dave Swanson - Northern IL
1935 GTS
1968 V700
1973 V7 Sport
1974 Eldo
1974 Police Eldo
1976 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1980 T3 California
1993 1000S - Sparklehorse
2004 V11S - Eraldo-ized
2016 Griso SE - Beetle-ized
2021 V7-850 Stone Centenario
2022 V85TT Guardia d'Onore
2023 V100S

MGNOC L-780

pete roper

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2019, 05:49:19 PM »
The 'Twittering' sound is I believe something to do with the design of dB killers. Some cause the sound to be more pronounced than others. It's obviously also related to tuned length, firing interval, throttle loading and valve timing.

My Stelvio has a Staintune and with it the 'Puffing' is also quite pronounced. With my Griso which has a Mistral and substantially greater length and different delta due to the header design it is only really noticeable when cold and the idle is around 1200. Once warm my idle is approximately 1400-1450 and the 'Twittering' disappears.

Anyway, it will do no harm.

Offline bettythebear

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2019, 07:50:19 PM »
Thanks guys!
2011 MG v7 Classic

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2019, 08:39:39 PM »
The "metal on metal" fit you described for the Mistral is is right and in my opinion much better than the gasket solution. I also have a Mistral on my Stelvio.
I have a map for the Stelvio that you are welcome to try if you want. You can contact me via PM.
John

I can vouch for John's maps.  I used them with my Stelvio.  I had tried several and his were the best for me.

(Hope you are doing well, John.)

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here