Author Topic: Rough weather in Oklahoma  (Read 13054 times)

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Rough weather in Oklahoma
« Reply #90 on: May 24, 2019, 08:16:05 PM »
You see that little figure standing near the rear end of that thing ? It isn't me  :rolleyes: Helicopters and submarines , I want nothing to do with either :grin:

Dusty

Man, I hope that thing doesn't beach on your driveway.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline SED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #91 on: May 24, 2019, 08:26:30 PM »
Dusty is sailing the high seas, next stop Catoosa

Patrolling for breakaway barges - Ready torpedo one!

Jokes aside I sincerely hope you are all OK.  Listening to the news is grim.  It's a rough spring for a lot of people.  Be safe and well.
1983 LeMans III
1981 Monza
1947 Ariel Red Hunter
1939 Ariel Red Hunter
1937 Guzzi GTV

oldbike54

« Reply #92 on: May 24, 2019, 09:07:18 PM »
 It's OK guys , at this point all we can do is laugh in the face of this mess . Still high and dry at the house , you wouldn't even know this was happening just 2 miles East .

Dusty

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #93 on: May 24, 2019, 10:08:04 PM »
we're getting more rain.....headed eastward.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #93 on: May 24, 2019, 10:08:04 PM »

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #94 on: May 24, 2019, 10:08:52 PM »
I知 an idiot.   Somehow I was confusing the submarine USS Arkansas in Little Rock, Arkansas with the USS Batfish in Muskogee, OK.   

I知 heading to Muskogee once the flood waters recede.   I知 obsessed with submarines.

FYI, a batfish looks like a battered fried shrimp. 
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #95 on: May 24, 2019, 10:21:39 PM »
I知 an idiot.   Somehow I was confusing the submarine USS Arkansas in Little Rock, Arkansas with the USS Batfish in Muskogee, OK.   

I知 heading to Muskogee once the flood waters recede.   I知 obsessed with submarines.

FYI, a batfish looks like a battered fried shrimp.

the local dinner riders' club does an annual trip to Muskogee (from OKC). The ride leader is an ex-submariner and likes to lead a tour.  Then they eat at Charlie's Chicken.  Usually do this in Sept-Oct. 

My deal, once I've seen a submarine, BTDT.  But I like to ride.  I'll be heading through Muskogee for the Ozark trip next week (maybe Dusty can recommend eats that ain't Charlies?).
John L 

Offline lorazepam

• Gosling
  • Almost ready for suspenders
« Reply #96 on: May 25, 2019, 12:37:04 AM »
The Mississippi River at Dubuque, IA, has been above flood stage for a month and a half. It was finally getting down to normal levels, and now more monsoon rains. It will probably be close to July before it gets back to normal.

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #97 on: May 25, 2019, 02:45:30 AM »
The Mississippi River at Dubuque, IA, has been above flood stage for a month and a half. It was finally getting down to normal levels, and now more monsoon rains. It will probably be close to July before it gets back to normal.

Just in time for the Wisconsin rally at Lake Joy!!  That's a nice crossing into the drift-less region coming from Dubuque...now if I can find the time to get up there again this year for the rally would be great.
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #98 on: May 25, 2019, 08:55:51 AM »
Thanks LowRyter.   That might be just the ticket. 
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #99 on: May 25, 2019, 10:36:35 AM »
I can't imagine going underwater in a submarine.. not to mention including people dropping depth charges on you.  :shocked:
Just the same, Nora's dad, Fritz (RIP) was a submariner, and just last year said he'd do it again in a heartbeat. Seemed sane enough to me.  :grin:
Of course, some people can't imagine flying. <shrug> Fritz was a pilot, too.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #100 on: May 25, 2019, 11:06:05 AM »
From Chuck:
I can't imagine going underwater in a submarine.
Especially diesel electric. Everything stinking like diesel and sweat with minimal wash water. I'll stick with aircraft.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

oldbike54

« Reply #101 on: May 25, 2019, 09:38:15 PM »
 More rain , all of it draining into the Arkansas , Ft Gibson is an Island at the moment . There is a Guzzi rider in Ft Gibson , although none of you know him . He has been a friend for some 30 years , we used to travel all over the country together . This is going to be a multi-day event , Keystone is running wide open , and will be until at least Wednesday , and the other 2 rivers that meet at Muskogee are both way above flood stage .

Dusty

Online pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #102 on: May 25, 2019, 09:55:23 PM »
From Chuck:Especially diesel electric. Everything stinking like diesel and sweat with minimal wash water. I'll stick with aircraft.
GliderJohn

I used to work with a mechanic who had been a submarine cook in the Navy.  Referred to himself as a 'sewerpipe sailor'.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #103 on: May 25, 2019, 10:57:19 PM »
it looks like we have two or three small tornadoes going through OKC right now.  At least according to radar and the TV guys. 
John L 

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #104 on: May 25, 2019, 11:20:21 PM »
a roadside hotel at El Reno at I-40 was leveled.  These are small and quickly forming.
John L 

Online Dharma Bum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #105 on: May 26, 2019, 12:01:45 AM »
Be safe, all of you guys.

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #106 on: May 26, 2019, 01:53:38 AM »
The storm passed over northern BA. 5 miles away.  Some rotation. It's out over Spavinaw and Lake Eucha right now. Headed for Mo/ Arkansas. Look out Luap, Wes, and you other Ozark boys.....
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

oldbike54

« Reply #107 on: May 26, 2019, 01:57:44 AM »
 The automated system keeps blowing the sirens here and waking me up  :tongue:

Dusty

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #108 on: May 26, 2019, 07:25:55 AM »
The automated system keeps blowing the sirens here and waking me up  :tongue:

Dusty

Danged inconvenient.. :cool: :boozing:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #109 on: May 26, 2019, 08:28:05 AM »
El Reno got hit pretty hard.  There are few fatalities in a mobile home park.  There was that no one was killed in the motel despite it being leveled.  OKC had trees and roofs taken.  These tornadoes were small and could form and dissipate within seconds.   So there was no real warning.  For example, the storms in El Reno were about 40 miles from OKC, rather than tracking those funnels, new ones formed in OKC about 15 minutes later. 
John L 

Offline delrod

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #110 on: May 26, 2019, 09:04:54 AM »
Kind of the same here last week. The storm that hit Jefferson City was 6 hrs old. We had all gone to bed and forgotten about it I'm se KS
Doug in Pittsburg KS
2003EVT

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #111 on: May 26, 2019, 09:11:27 AM »
We got another 1-1/4" of rain last night in a couple hours of over night storms. Lots of little limbs on the ground and more dirt washed out and down the creek. And more storms predicted in the next 7 days.

Brother-in-law called middle of last night cause weather chasers were reporting a spin up tornado about a mile from our house. We had turned the cell phone alert off because we were getting no sleep the last couple of weeks since they were going off for flooding and storms several times every night. Might need to turn the alerts back on and just endure it for the next few weeks.
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #112 on: May 26, 2019, 10:58:48 AM »
We got another 1-1/4" of rain last night in a couple hours of over night storms. Lots of little limbs on the ground and more dirt washed out and down the creek. And more storms predicted in the next 7 days.

Brother-in-law called middle of last night cause weather chasers were reporting a spin up tornado about a mile from our house. We had turned the cell phone alert off because we were getting no sleep the last couple of weeks since they were going off for flooding and storms several times every night. Might need to turn the alerts back on and just endure it for the next few weeks.

yeah Apple Valley had another scare, that's just down the road from you.  I guess because of the pop up nature of these storms, there really wasn't any warning.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 04:56:04 PM by LowRyter »
John L 

oldbike54

« Reply #113 on: May 26, 2019, 04:25:27 PM »
 Reports are the Arkansas river crested at 46.5' above flood stage early this morning and has receded .1' since then . Some experts are saying this is do to the almost complete lack of wind at the moment , allowing the water to settle down . No idea , guess it makes sense . At the moment there isn't much rain falling North of us , although there is a good chance that will change . Keystone is still rising , seems likely we won't see much change for several days .

Dusty

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #114 on: May 26, 2019, 05:42:33 PM »
Reports are the Arkansas river crested at 46.5' above flood stage early this morning and has receded .1' since then . Some experts are saying this is do to the almost complete lack of wind at the moment , allowing the water to settle down . No idea , guess it makes sense . At the moment there isn't much rain falling North of us , although there is a good chance that will change . Keystone is still rising , seems likely we won't see much change for several days .

Dusty
Whew ..... 46 feet above flood stage! 

You hang tight out there.  Hope it begins receding soon.

Bob
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

oldbike54

« Reply #115 on: May 26, 2019, 08:59:58 PM »
 Damn , the Corp announced they are increasing the outflow from Keystone dam in the morning . Muskogee is gonna end up in Arkansas .

Dusty

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #116 on: May 26, 2019, 10:58:25 PM »
Best of luck to you Dusty :thumb:
Oz
04 Cali
As ye practice, so do ye teach.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #117 on: May 27, 2019, 05:33:07 AM »
Damn , the Corp announced they are increasing the outflow from Keystone dam in the morning . Muskogee is gonna end up in Arkansas .

Dusty

Well, at least you'll have good riding.. always look on the bright side.  :grin:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

oldbike54

« Reply #118 on: May 27, 2019, 07:13:19 AM »
Well, at least you'll have good riding.. always look on the bright side.  :grin:

55 MPH speed limits on the fun roads , and they are kinda persnickety  :laugh:

Dust

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #119 on: May 27, 2019, 07:23:24 AM »
Just way he'd a drone video of the Bat Fish and noticed the covering over the Oklahoma mast was under water up to the roof. Makes me wander if it was moved out before the flood or is under water again. Significant piece of history there.   :cry:
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here