Author Topic: Prepping for bucket list trip  (Read 3829 times)

Offline alanp

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Prepping for bucket list trip
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2019, 06:41:18 PM »
alanp,

We have similar preferences for MC routes: 128 in Utah, and 14 in northern CO are two of my favorite roads. Have ridden on 128 at least 5 times; have driven on 14 many times; ridden on it 2-3 times. I think my fellow traveler, Kirby, would appreciate them, too.

Jon

Great minds think alike...

Sounds like you are pretty well up to speed.  It is going to be a great trip for you!
Niwot, Colorado
'08 1200 Sport - Black
'16 V7II Stone - Black
Previous Guzzis
'07 Griso, '07 Norge, '03 California SS, '02 California SS, '02 V11 Lemans,  '83 Lemans III, '77 Lemans

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2019, 07:15:20 PM »
There is virtually no camping anywhere near the Badlands. Hotels are expensive. Plan accordingly. 

Google Spearfish canyon campground..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Seventy One

• Hatchling
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2019, 08:39:04 PM »
Google Spearfish canyon campground..

That's 107 miles away.

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2019, 07:37:48 AM »
That's 107 miles away.

My bad.. I was thinking Black Hills. We camped at a KOA in the Bad lands..it was fine.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2019, 07:37:48 AM »

Online Tkelly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2019, 11:46:06 AM »
Take the county road south from Hannibal to Louisana Mo.On of the most scenic views of the Mississippi.

Offline lorazepam

• Gosling
  • Almost ready for suspenders
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2019, 11:56:53 AM »
Custer state park and needles highway are great stops in the black hills. I really love that area.

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2019, 01:46:21 PM »
Wounded Knee massacre site is worth a stop. That's just south of the Badlands on SD18.

Bring lots of water. Drinks lots of water. A mesh jacket nearly killed me a few years ago due to dehydration. I would never consider touring one again after that. It is possible to have too much ventilation. I didn't even know I was dehydrated until I started making stupid mistakes (mixing up the brake and clutch levers, blowing through a 4-way stop at 55mph, down shifting instead of upshifting, etc). Pay attention and be aware.

I'm loving reading this thread, I don't even have a passport, no real desire to deal with the headache of crossing the 49th, but you have some beautiful country and rides down there.

The water warning is one bearing repeating,,, btdt,,,

I've also learned to be very mindful after eating lunch or supper when I'm riding,,,depending on sugars and refined carbs, my blood sugars can sometimes do a bit of a dance,,, I've noticed my reactions and thought process,,, not as sharp as usual,,, good idea sometimes just to stop, stretch, rehydrate, coffee, eat an orange , banana, granola bar whatever works for you to keep you sharp. fwiw.

Safe travels

Kelly
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100
1979 G5 & 1980 Lemans CX100
2010 Suzuki DR650 & 1978 SR500

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2019, 02:27:51 PM »
Custer state park and needles highway are great stops in the black hills. I really love that area.

Absolutely, one of the scenic places anywhere + Mt Rushmore, Hill City, Deadwood
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here