Author Topic: The easiest wat to pull the drive train way  (Read 1181 times)

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
The easiest wat to pull the drive train way
« on: November 20, 2017, 07:26:54 PM »
On my 1984 Cal II. I need the trans out, should I prop it up in some fashion or suspend it from above? What's the norm?
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
Re: The easiest wat to pull the drive train way
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 07:35:26 PM »
Support the engine and trans. Unbolt everything to lift the bike off the engine and trans and lower frame rails.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 09:15:54 PM »

MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 09:27:26 PM »
Thanks guys. Something slipped in the trans and it won't downshift. I'm stuck in high gear, and it's not linkage. I'll pull the trans away & see if my boys want to take a crack at it. My dealer says it's not a biggie except for the time involved.
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 09:27:26 PM »

Orange Guzzi

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 11:05:06 PM »
Invite a strong friend over to assist.  Not a 1 person job lifting an moving.  I pulled my engine and transmission a couple of weeks ago.  I have done a couple of transmissions.  They are easy to work on.  Greg Bender, This old tractor has manuals.  Some things are not explained fully, but there are pictures.  I like pictures.  The only thing I had an issue with was putting the cover back on.  The shift drum has two notches to allow the shifter to clear.  Once I figured the notch alignment out, it dropped right on with a few taps of the hammer the last 1/4 inch.   A bent clothes hanger works to get the shifting forks back into the drum.  Replace the front and rear seals and o rings.  The diagrams for the o ring placement on the output shaft are wrong.  Should be (starting from the inside) washer, oring, washer, speedo drive.  The drawings have the oring against the spline, washer, oring, speedo drive, which is wrong.  If you do it the way the drawing shows, the oring is pushed up on the spline and is useless.  The front bearing nut is a pain to get off.  I beat mine off with a punch as the drawing shows, but bought a 26 mm socket for $6.00 and made a bearing retainer nut wrench.  About an hour of work to make.  Or you can buy one from M.G. Cycles.  Mine is not pretty, but it worked to reinstall the new nut I had to buy. 

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 03:38:14 AM »
At the risk of being brandished a self publicist

Some help on what's in there

First mine, it's an idiot's guide (as it was an idiot that wot wrote it)

http://www.thisoldtractor.com/guzzitech.dk/gb_en_complex-technical_gearbox-rebuilding-pictures.htm

Professor Roper's far more technically astute and correct guide

http://www.thisoldtractor.com/guzzitech.dk/gb_en_complex-technical_gearbox-shimming-pictures.htm

If in there it's definitely worth the effort to try some selector drum shimming & if you are feeling spendy get rid of the Nylon input & output bearings too

Good Luck

John

pete roper

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 03:56:56 AM »
Stop selling yourself short John. Your write up is much better than mine.

Pete

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 07:52:09 AM »
You guys are encyclopedic !

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 09:11:11 AM »
The diagrams for the o ring placement on the output shaft are wrong.

Heh OG in my guide? I ask because if it's wrong I'd like to put it right, I think I have it as you state but confirmation would be nice

Again my guide doesn't explain stuff?

Tell me what, I'd be happy to credit you and to put in anything you feel is missing

John

Orange Guzzi

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2017, 09:06:50 PM »
Heh OG in my guide? I ask because if it's wrong I'd like to put it right, I think I have it as you state but confirmation would be nice

Again my guide doesn't explain stuff?

Tell me what, I'd be happy to credit you and to put in anything you feel is missing

John

I was referencing the OEM parts list that shows how the parts are stacked on the output shaft. 

Petes method of shimming with a finger works.  I have used it. 

I found that the front input clutch hub and the rear output nut  should be installed when checking the shifting on the bench.  This pulls the shaft up tight to the bearings in the end of the case.   

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2017, 09:27:10 PM »
This stuff is fantastic.   Much appreciated. 

Is the process for rebuilding a 5 speed small block Guzzi about the same as what is shown here?  Or is there a different tutorial somebody could point me to?
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2017, 10:05:20 PM »
This stuff is fantastic.   Much appreciated. 

Is the process for rebuilding a 5 speed small block Guzzi about the same as what is shown here?  Or is there a different tutorial somebody could point me to?

Scroll down about 3/4s the way here: http://thisoldtractor.com/moto_guzzi_technical_training_videos_eng.html
Charlie

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here