Author Topic: Brake rotor threads  (Read 6962 times)

Offline dxhall

• Gaggle Hero
Brake rotor threads
« on: April 23, 2015, 10:33:23 PM »
I just replaced the wheel bearings on my '03 V11 Sport.  To get the old bearings out, I had to remove the rotors and heat the hub with a heat gun.  When I bolted the rotors back on to the hub tonight, several bolts won't come up to spec - they go to about 15 ft/lbs, but no more.  Anyone had this problem before?  Torque spec is 18 - 22 ft/lbs, bolts are 8mm 1.25 pitch.

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
Re: Brake rotor threads
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 10:36:30 PM »
Use some lock tight and call it good at 15#.. you really don't want to shear off a bolt head do you?
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 10:38:53 PM »
Be sure everything is completely bottomed in their seats and your 15# isn't because something is moving.

Those are long bolts.  If they're stretching at 15# you need to choose if you want to make them all 15 and use thread sealer or replace them on account of they're used up.

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 02:49:12 AM »
Use some lock tight and call it good at 15#.. you really don't want to shear off a bolt head do you?
Whaaaat.....the bolts wont torque to spec? I read that as they are stripped. If thats the case using thread locker and calling it good would be......... well not a smart move.
Ciao
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 02:49:12 AM »

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 06:46:59 AM »
find out why . you really don't want to shear off a bolt head do you?

Whaaaat.....the bolts wont torque to spec? I read that as they are stripped. If thats the case using thread locker and calling it good would be......... well not a smart move.
Ciao
your right of course if stripped but if they tighten to 15# it doesn't sound like threads stripped.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 06:49:05 AM by fotoguzzi »
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline dxhall

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 06:52:15 AM »
The bolts aren't stripped.  The threads in the aluminum hub are letting go.  I guess my choices are locktite them at 15 ft/lbs, or install helicoils.  I'm just wondering if this is a common problem.

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 07:20:14 AM »
  The threads in the aluminum hub are letting go. 
now that sounds frightening. option 3 new rim?
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 08:55:58 AM »
As long as there's enough meat in the area, I wouldn't hesitate to Helicoil them, but I sure wouldn't use them as-is if I thought the aluminum threads were failing.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 09:11:23 AM »
remember the tip from the old british manual, stop turning 1/4 turn before the fastener strips.
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2015, 09:24:34 AM »
remember the tip from the old british manual, stop turning 1/4 turn before the fastener strips.

Before?  BEFORE??   

NOW you tell me!!!  And all those years ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 09:26:43 AM »
Tighten it until it loosens, then back it off a quarter turn.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2015, 09:34:27 AM »
Tighten it until it loosens, then back it off a quarter turn.

People think "Forlorn Hope" is a term originally applied to the first squad to storm the breach in the fortress.   It's not.

It's what happens on the side of the trail when you've turned the spark plug for the 50th turn ... HOPING that it will tighten up .....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2015, 09:41:11 AM »
The threads in the aluminum hub are letting go.  I guess my choices are locktite them at 15 ft/lbs, or install helicoils. 

???

Helicoil would be the only option IMHO.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2015, 09:55:00 AM »
Question:  Are all the bolts original?  18 lb-ft is a lot of torque for a bolt that size, and if some were replaced with low strength bolts like grade 2 or stainless, they could be twisting/stretching, but not look damaged.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline dxhall

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2015, 12:50:56 PM »
The bolts appear to be original, are "flange" type bolts, no washers.  The spec (from memory) is 18 -22 ft/lbs, so 15 ft/lbs doesn't exactly give me confidence.

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2015, 01:01:27 PM »
OK, you ruled out wrong bolts.  I would have zero confidence if I couldn't get to the specified torque, and would not consider just using it as-is.  Helicoils and similar things like Time-Serts are easy to install and will create threads that are better than the originals.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 01:01:58 PM by Triple Jim »

canuguzzi

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2015, 05:56:28 PM »
You aren't using the same bolts you took off are you? That would be a bad move.

Those are the wrong bolts. The originals have stretched when torqued and they aren't the same going back in.

New bolts, clean the threads real good and then assemble. You'll get the proper torque then.

Of course, if the threads are already letting go, then it is repair time, not loctite time. Helicoils aren't a good way to go either. What you're doing then is putting a steel insert into aluminum and then guessing about the torque. These are your brakes.

If there is enough material available for a rethread, that would work and then you could use standard torque figures and go that route. Use new bolts.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 06:20:11 PM by Norge Pilot »

canuguzzi

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2015, 06:21:55 PM »
Question: how high was the heat gun set? A heat gun can easily go past the temperature that will remove any heat treating temper on the aluminum. When the heat is too high, the "T" rating goes to zero and then you can easily strip out threads or they begin to let go as you've described.

At about 775 degrees, you've removed the temper from T6 and gone to nothing.

If you got there, rethreading isn't going to work and neither is a helicoil in any safe way.

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2015, 06:33:14 PM »
Question: how high was the heat gun set? A heat gun can easily go past the temperature that will remove any heat treating temper on the aluminum.

Yes, but only on small parts.  It's very unlikely he got a whole hub anywhere near that hot with a hot air gun, and with the conductivity of aluminum, he wouldn't have been able to do much localized heating.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 06:34:13 PM by Triple Jim »

canuguzzi

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2015, 06:41:44 PM »
It is easily possible to remove the temper from a localized area. I routinely use a heat gun to bring T6061 bar stock up to temp and bend it. It happens PDQ and with thinner stock like 1/4 x4" takes less than a minute.

Don't forget, he was applying the heat to the hub itself (according to his description) and those bolts are steel and retain the heat longer than the aluminum. The threads are very thin and could loose their temper in very short order.

Many heat guns easily go to 1200 degrees or more, plenty enough to do damage to the temper on aluminum.

Correction: read where he removed the rotor before heating the bug so no bolts in when the heat was applied. Comes down to how long long the heat was applied and at what temp. If it's one of those low/med/high guns then the temp was over the threshold to remove the temper. Then it comes to how long.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 06:58:59 PM by Norge Pilot »

Offline dxhall

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2015, 09:04:00 PM »
While I always replace rod bolts, I don't usually replace bolts like these, which are loaded in shear, not extension (as rod bolts are).  So long as shear bolts are stretched to a point below the limit of plastic deformation, I've always thought that they were reusable until the threads become worn.  I suppose I could have taken the temper out of the hub.  I guess I'll try helicoils, and see what happens.  Maybe check ebay for another wheel.

Offline Idontwantapickle

• Gaggle Hero
  • The rotation of the earth really makes my day.
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2015, 09:44:02 PM »
I would strongly suggest finding a good shop to install Timeserts. They kick sand on the whimpy helicoils and take their girl.
Brakes are not to be left in any doubt.
Hunter
There is no end to what we can do together.
Sir James Paul McCartney

AMA Charter Life Member

72 Eldo
85 LeMans 1000 Loud, Fast and Red
2007 Norge rivestimento di argento
84 BMW R100RS

redrider

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2015, 09:49:04 PM »
Timesert is the only choice for me. I gave up on helicoil decades ago. YMMV

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2015, 09:51:36 PM »
Either product would fix the problem for good.

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2015, 06:52:37 AM »
Timesert is the only choice for me. I gave up on helicoil decades ago. YMMV

Same here, especially for this application.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline dxhall

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2015, 08:01:51 AM »
I'm wondering if the torque figures in the manual are intended for dry threads.  The threadlocker I put on the rotor bolts when I installed them could have acted like a lubricant, and caused the 18 ft/lbs shown on the wrench to be much higher.  I've done experiments with rod bolts where I've compared torque figures shown on the torque wrench to stretch figures shown on the stretch gauge.  There's a big difference between the torque required to reach a particular stretch number with dry threads and the torque required to reach that stretch number with lubed threads.

I usually use timeserts over helicoils.  For some reason, this looked like an application for helicoils. 
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 08:03:26 AM by dxhall »

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here