Author Topic: Sidehack handling/braking  (Read 6454 times)

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
Sidehack handling/braking
« on: September 19, 2015, 09:46:30 PM »
There's another topic that has touched on this, but I thought I'd start another thread rather than continue that drift.

Since I've been building my trike I've been curious about things like brakes and handling.  I'm that perpetual week away from actually driving mine, but seeing the front end failure on this other thread, I'm wondering louder about std forks v trailing/earls/leading link/whatever front wheel geometries, handlebar choices, steering dampers, and silly things like which brake is used more and why.  Input from any 3-wheel drivers welcome.

Offline sidecarnutz

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Sidehack handling/braking
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 10:06:56 PM »
What is the question?

IME, earles front forks handle much lighter at low speeds and ease the steering. They give  feel of power steering compared to regular forks. But the laws of physics must be paid. No free lunch. They can feel twitchy at higher speeds.

Regular forks will feel very heavy at low speeds with a sidecar. But they shine on the freeway with better stability and no twitchiness compared to earles.

I prefer regular forks with a sidecar for the stability. Use a wide handlebar for leverage. Be prepared for a good upper body workout and DO learn to shift your weight from one side of the seat to the other when cornering. It'll lessen the load for steering.
yeah, I might be addicted to brake fluid. But I can stop any time I want.

2002 Kawasaki ZR7S
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Conti GT

oldbike54

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 10:15:11 PM »
 The only trike I have ever really ridden was a home built Volkswagon powered thing . The builder was quite proud of his design, the engine placed in front of the transaxle for better weight distribution . The only problem , he installed a springer fork that was long enough to need a separate zip code , so the thing wouldn't steer . My best guess ,  keeping enough weight on the front end , proper geometry , and a steering damper will keep things under control . Knowing that you have designed this thing from scratch , and thought out weight distribution , handling should be fine . Doubt if the stock Guzzi forks will give any trouble .

Dusty

Offline Bisbonian

• Gaggle Hero
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 10:26:20 PM »
My experience is that trikes and side cars aren't really comparable with regard to riding dynamics.

Sure, the both have 3 wheels but react completely differently to steering and braking inputs.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 10:26:20 PM »

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 10:28:47 PM »
show some pics of your fork set up..
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline fatbob

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2015, 10:36:35 PM »
I concur with sidecarnutz about lower steering effort with leading link forks, but not about high speed twitchyness. I don't have any of that with my Unit Fork on my R100. I think leading link is better in every way. Costly though.
Bob Lower

'07 Norge
'01 K1200LT
'10 Thunderbird
'88 FLHS
'79 R100T
'03 R1150RT
'07 GTS 250

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2015, 11:05:25 PM »
The question is open-ended.  Given the engineering solutions for steering and handling, what combination of forks/dampers/bars/tires do you 3-wheel folks like and why?

The brake question is an aside, but interests me -- do you use your front or rear as your primary?

show some pics of your fork set up..

MY forks are std EV at this point with no steering damper -- not much exciting to post pics of.  The little I've ridden it suggests low speed road feedback (bumps and holes) will be noticeable.  Since I'm going to hit every damn thing in the road with one wheel or another, I'd like to minimize that feedback and the steering effort.  Explained pics of other folk's front ends would be nice.  How are dampers mounted and why?  What's up with your front tire choice?

Offline JoeW

• Gaggle Hero
    • The Guzzi Doctor
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2015, 11:19:32 PM »
My first sidecar rig was a 78 Harley with a factory chair. I bought the sidecar and bike separately. The sidecar came with a servicar adjustable trail front fork. The reasoning behind the adjustable trail was, little trail for around town and more trail in the "highway"  setting. Besides the mechanical advantage of the unit forks, there is also reduced trail that helps with steering effort. But, the trade off is stability. My leading link fork has two settings for trail, I've been running my rig for 19 years on zero (or close to it)  trail. Easy steering but, a little squirrelly at speed. I have a friend with an EML that runs in the "more" trail setting and finds the increased effort not a too high price to pay for additional stability. It's a trade off between stability and ease of steering, maybe a balancing act would be a better description.
Joe Walano

Offline BillinPA

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2015, 01:31:36 AM »
I use modified triple trees on my sidecar rig. Last rig was stock steering. It worked but was tough at tight turns with speed. Now that I have the mods, I wish I woulda done it to the last one. Less bump steer, easier steering and rig feels less stressed in the tight stuff. 

Offline wrbix

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2015, 06:21:32 AM »
My experience is that trikes and side cars aren't really comparable with regard to riding dynamics.

Sure, the both have 3 wheels but react completely differently to steering and braking inputs.
Yeah, that ^^^^^^^.
Question is not really applicable to your trike-in-progress
Bill in VA, sometimes FL

"Eschew aphorism"

LeMans IV - "Giulia"
Lario - "Giulietta"
V50III cafe'd - "Leggera"
‘77 Convert - “Sofia”
BMW airheads: R100RS, R100CS, R100GS, R100RT, R60/2 sidecar rig
Classic Mini
‘60 Austin Healey Sprite
Caterham Super Seven Sprint
‘13 Audi TTRS
Grumman AA5B (sold)

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2015, 07:10:23 AM »
Gotta agree. Trikes and rigs are completely different animals.

The brake question is an aside, but interests me -- do you use your front or rear as your primary?

I did a fair amount of research before building the Jack-All rig. I noticed many of the high performance rigs in Yurp use the sidecar brake tied to the front bike brake, so.. I added another front disc to the Jackal,got a Gixxer brake pump to handle all the pistons, and plumbed the sidecar brake to it. Worked very well, you could grab a handful (and footfull) of brake and stop pretty darn straight with the tires howling.  :thumb:
As far as I'm concerned, the Unit front fork was much sturdier, and gave much lighter steering. I never did high speed with it, though.. I'd say we were seldom above 80. No twitchiness up to those speeds.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2015, 07:36:25 AM »
Besides stability at speed, a problem with either three wheeler can be that the front end can loose its ability to steer the damn thing. I found that both problems are helped by useing square profile tires. Two hunnerd miles ago I put one of these on http://www.lucasclassictires.com/400-425-17-Longstone-BW-Long40017.htm. It's the first time I've had a square profile on all three corners and it definitely helps. I've been testing the stability and so far it's good to an indicted 105. It turns better too, it's on a '99 Bassa with stock forks. At parking lot speeds it takes effort to turn it but above that it seems ok but maybe that's because I don't have anything to compare it to. I use a T3 wheel and brake on the car and the car brake is operated by a second  lever above the clutch lever and is completely separate from the unmodifid bike brakes. It fun to use to maneuver and does not operate the brake lights. Plus I did all the normal stuff like Hagon shocks, fork springs, Matris damper, bump stops on the car shock limiting its travel and overly sturdy construction. The only time it shakes it's head is when the front tire is locked up and skidding like on oil at an intersection. I haven't wadded it up yet.....
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 09:32:36 AM by John A »
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2015, 02:11:03 PM »
If you were looking to reduce the overall effort required to steer a 3-wheeler (hack or conventional trike) would you want to play with flat profile tires or steering angles first?

Offline Ted N

• New Egg
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2015, 03:24:08 PM »
I would go with steering angle first. When my triple tree was modified by Steerite, they changed the caster 4 3/4 degrees and the camber 1/4 degrees [probably would not need the camber on a trike]. My hack handles great up to  98.9 mph[top speed per
GPS] and I only use the crappy factory damper.

Ted
1996 Cali 1100C/hacked
1998 V11 EV

oldbike54

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2015, 03:48:03 PM »
 Trikes and hacks are two different breeds of cat . Decreased rake might make a trike plow in corners . Dunno , seems like a slightly increased rake and a slightly reduced trail might allow the trike to turn easier .

Dusty

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2015, 04:05:32 PM »
I agree that some of the discussion won't be entirely relevant to my project, but I'm coloring way outside the lines on this one, so I'm not trying for "what to think", I'm trying for "how to think".  Understanding the choices people make and why they make them helps me identify what's important to consider and what's nonproductive fretting.

oldbike54

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2015, 04:10:56 PM »
 Oh , sorry , wasn't trying to stifle the discussion . Still , seems as though increasing the rake a bit would allow the tire to roll onto its side a bit when turning , and decreasing the trail would reduce steering effort . Or , you could design some weird looped handlebars that allowed for increased leverage , although on second thought , maybe not  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2015, 05:52:17 PM »
I would go with steering angle first. When my triple tree was modified by Steerite, they changed the caster 4 3/4 degrees and the camber 1/4 degrees [probably would not need the camber on a trike]. My hack handles great up to  98.9 mph[top speed per
GPS] and I only use the crappy factory damper.

Ted

My rig has the Steerite mod, too. I think it works quite well.

Rich A

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2015, 06:36:55 PM »
Going after effort I agree angles first, flat profiles won't reduce the effort but will put a bigger contact patch on the ground with all the benefits that brings
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline cleatusj

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2015, 11:42:19 PM »
Moving the axle 1 3/4" forward on my 'vert when I built the LL made all the differance in ease of steering, with no twitchyness at any speed.
'76 Convert with sidecar
'93 Cali III with sidecar
Granbury, Texas
"Error of Opinion may be tolerated where Reason is left free to combat it." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2015, 12:55:49 AM »
I now have a year or 2 under my belt of using a sidecar to commute part time. Mine is the second rig for me. (Wrecked the first, then got tired of constant tinkering on my Convert tug). Mine is a 790 Triumph Bonneville with a 250 pound Dnepr all metal sidecar. Stock steering, with progressive fork springs. Stock rear shocks on sidecar and tug. I have a VW steering damper on it, it will still tankslap if I remove my hands.  Steering effort is heavy. Stock bars, slight forward body lean to drive it. Keeps my back straight that way. Mine tracks straight at about 35 to 60 mph. It is rather like an aircraft in accell and decell, substitute your upper body for rudder pedals.  :laugh:. It needs to have a sidecar brake installed. It will try to buck left if you use the front brake too hard. Back brake more tame, but less effective. Part of the problem is the 3 different spring rates that is going on:  the (unbraced) front forks, rear shocks and sidecar shock. Future mods for me? Flat profile tires. Sidecar brake. (hopefully a disk) Gonna try to use 3 FLH air shocks on rear of bike and car.    Floorboards would be nice.  I seldom exceed 60 mph, so the little Triumph is plenty. I had an earls LL fork on my Ural, but it was kinda flimsy, so I did not care for it. I would love to try to drive a more professionally set up unit, as mine is definitely mom and pop.  :wink: Just guessing, but I would think a trike easier to drive. Sidecar keeps you on your toes...
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline dsrdave

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2015, 05:54:40 AM »
I use the VW steering damper also.  Added a fork brace and welded some tabs to it to mount the damper to the forks and a bracket on the brace going to the hack.  MUCH improved stability, especially in the 25-40 mph range.
2-850T, 2-1000 convert/hacked, V11 sport, V50, centauro, '97 sport 1100, '71 V7 ambo, '76 850 Lemans,CX100,"83 LM III,1000SE, '91 LM V, '07 Griso, '53 super alce,moto parilla, zigolo, Lodola 175, Lodola 235,  '07 norge, '67 stornello, 57galletto, Nuovo Falcone, stornello ISDT, 52 Airone sport

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2015, 09:25:16 AM »
I had no steering damper on the Jack-All.. didn't need one. Don't know why. I never drove it with telescopic forks, so maybe it was the Unit front end. Something that worked quite well was electric lean on the sidecar. Basically a linear actuator that moved the sidecar shock up and down. Toggle switch on the bars so I could trim for hands off on various road cambers and side winds. Made traveling much more comfortable.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2015, 02:14:41 PM »
I like the idea of the vw damper.  Does anyone have pics of theirs on the rig?

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2015, 04:00:48 PM »
I like the idea of the vw damper.  Does anyone have pics of theirs on the rig?

It's pretty commonly done. There should be a ton of pix on the web..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Eric

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2015, 04:18:01 PM »
I haven't any experience building as many here have, but I've put a lot of miles on my urals with most of it in the dirt. This doesn't really fit your situation but, as you say, coloring out of the lines. The leading link on my ural shortens the trail and makes it turn more quickly. That much is clear. So it can feel twitchy at speed on pavement, speed being a relative term when it comes to ural. But all that disappears on dirt roads where steering becomes a process of throttle control more than turning the handle bars. When I turn the front wheel right, for example, my body shifts to the left and, eventually the sidecar comes off the ground and, now on two wheels, the lean of my body  and the, now, countersteered (is that a word?) front end requires that the motorcycle change directions and go to the left. To prevent this from happening in the dirt I have to apply enough throttle to move the back end to the left fast and far enough so that the line from the back of the bike begins to fall in line with the front wheel and follows the front wheel around the corner. On a trike, this would tip the vehicle over. On the ural, it has the opposite effect. At least experience would tell me this. Not sure if it's good geometry though.
07 Norge
15 BMW F 800 R (Lori's bike)
2016 Ural Patrol
13 Triumph Bonnie w/sidecar
Moorhead, Minnesota

Gone: 2005 Ural, 2011 Ural, 2003 EV, 2005 750 Breva

Offline dsrdave

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2015, 08:11:37 PM »
I can get you a pic next week.  At Daytona now, our race is the last one on sunday.  Should be home tues.
2-850T, 2-1000 convert/hacked, V11 sport, V50, centauro, '97 sport 1100, '71 V7 ambo, '76 850 Lemans,CX100,"83 LM III,1000SE, '91 LM V, '07 Griso, '53 super alce,moto parilla, zigolo, Lodola 175, Lodola 235,  '07 norge, '67 stornello, 57galletto, Nuovo Falcone, stornello ISDT, 52 Airone sport

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2015, 10:08:41 PM »
 :thumb:

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here