Author Topic: Considering a Flat Tappet Griso, what to do?  (Read 5272 times)

Offline steffen

• Hatchling
Re: Considering a Flat Tappet Griso, what to do?
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2019, 05:35:43 AM »
That being the case stories of the V85 being the great white hope are proving to be dishonest at best. It’s not selling any better or worse than Guzzi’s of years gone by.
What do you base that on, Pete?

Look at this saleschart for Germany. Guzzi har raised sales the most. 80 pct increase.

Twice the v85 has cracked the top 20 for most sold bikes in a month in Germany.

Edit: The link to salesfigures (in german): https://files.vogel.de/vogelonline/vogelonline/issues/bub/2019/009.pdf
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 05:36:47 AM by steffen »

pete roper

« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2019, 04:03:10 PM »
I was just talking about Oz really. But I'm not accountable for other people's tastes. As I'll say again. I'm glad they are selling well. I hope their owners enjoy them. I find them insipid and uninspiring.

Pete

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2019, 08:28:13 PM »
What do you base that on, Pete?

Look at this saleschart for Germany. Guzzi har raised sales the most. 80 pct increase.

Twice the v85 has cracked the top 20 for most sold bikes in a month in Germany.

Edit: The link to salesfigures (in german): https://files.vogel.de/vogelonline/vogelonline/issues/bub/2019/009.pdf
Thanks Steeffen
Numbers so much easier to read than opinion
Are there plenty of leftover Grisos and 1400’s there too ?
Factory bods can only use sales figures, don’t know if Guzzi listed on stock exchange, prob not but Piaggio shares might show too.. The bottom line, as they say
Honest number crunching imho, but re himmo obviously selling more there, maybe here too

Anyone got US figures ?

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2019, 04:06:23 AM »
I find them insipid and uninspiring.

Pete
That’s somewhat at odds with the impression you gave at the crow eating session Pete.
I don’t really give a rat’s myself, because I didn’t buy it to be inspired. I must admit though, that I feel that Guzzi are still preaching to the choir a bit, in that existing Guzzi owners are ditching their old stuff and buying these things.
When Guzzi can turn a buyer away from an 800 GS or Triumph Tiger..et al
Then I think their true measure of success will be apparent.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2019, 04:06:23 AM »

Offline Frenchfrog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2019, 05:37:51 AM »
Over here at least it looks like quite a few 85 tt buyers are new to the brand...that's been the same for the 750's over the last few years too.Ownership is still dominated by the older folks like us but there are younger bikers getting into guzzi's now too.Some of that is hipster, some due to the realisation that modern speed limits and their strict enforcement mean that owning a super rocket is pretty dumb.

pete roper

« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2019, 05:39:45 AM »
God's teeth! I don't see what is so difficult to understand! I think it is a good bike in the same way that a Hyundai Kona is a good car. It just doesn't inspire? Well? Anything, in me.

I don't expect people to agree with me but I'll be buggered if I'm going to resile from my opinions because other people say "But they're selling like hot cakes! Therefore they must be wonderful!" It's not. It's extremely average.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2019, 07:27:58 AM »
I’m digesting your comment #2081 from the V85 merged threadfest.
“The bike is more than the sum of it’s parts..”
And
“I thought it would be anodyne and boring, it isn’t..”
These and other comments led our readers to believe that you had elevated your opinion somewhat from it’s original position. The only thing I find perplexing, is how your observations and opinions from post #2081 in the V85 merged threadfest can mesh seamlessly with the comments above in this thread.
That’s what I see as a bridge too far...
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 07:34:24 AM by Huzo »

pete roper

« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2019, 02:16:57 PM »
Well, I've tried to explain but obviously not well enough so let's just leave it there.

Online Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2019, 03:12:30 PM »
What would I do?
Buy it and replace the lifters.
Tappets seem to wear out because they shouldn't be tapping. Especially roller lifters. :grin:
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2019, 03:28:23 PM »
God's teeth! I don't see what is so difficult to understand! I think it is a good bike in the same way that a Hyundai Kona is a good car. It just doesn't inspire? Well? Anything, in me.

I don't expect people to agree with me but I'll be buggered if I'm going to resile from my opinions because other people say "But they're selling like hot cakes! Therefore they must be wonderful!" It's not. It's extremely average.

Wonder what next year will bring with V85TT sales. I believe there may be a small sale blitz in the spring of 2020 and then later int the spring/summer you'll start to see sales figures plummet. The in 2021 you'll see 2020 models sitting on he showroom floors then in 2021.

Guzzi certainly beaten the life out of the SB since introduced in 1978. Maybe after 41 years its time to try somethgin a little different.   

2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here