Author Topic: No-Mar Tire Changer 4 sale owners/users Questions  (Read 6343 times)

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
No-Mar Tire Changer 4 sale owners/users Questions
« on: January 02, 2020, 10:06:34 PM »
I had made up my mind I was going to purchase  a Harbour Freight style&quality tire changer that recently became available from a Canadian Company for $185. It's apparently got improved nylon blocks for the wheel clamps but if need be, I was going to set it up with Mojo blocks and order a Mojo Lever.

I've read up lot's on the subject and realize a good No-Mar machine is apparently much preferable,(cost prohibitive in Canada) but I've also read some bad reviews on the No Mar wheel clamp system and some negative reviews for their lower end Cycle Hill line.

A No-Mar unit just popped up on Kijiji locally (11/2hrs away) for $650 Canadian, which if it's the real deal and it works for me, could be a relatively good buy, all things considered.

The seller is advertising it as the No Mar Classic HD Ultimate, which it appears most definitely not to be; It's set up with a trailer hitch receiver stand now and he also has the main center post stand in a box(never installed).

As I'm ripping through info I'm getting the impression that to do dirt bike,vintage spoke wheels, soft cast rims,etc that you need the No Mar Posi Clamps to grip the wheel well, this unit for sale only has the 2 dog blocks and 1 cam block.

I was intending to use tie downs to help hold the wheel in place anyways, but I'm not sure if this system for sale would work for me without the Posi Lock wheel clamps.

Does anybody recognize which model this is? It seems of lighter construction to me compared to what I see on the No Mar site now.

Has anyone used the unit with just those style blocks as wheel clamps? pros/cons

I had intended to buy a Mark Parnes Wheel Balancing system, this No Mar unit for sale apparently comes with a No Mar balancing set up as well, any experience with it good or bad?

Tia

Kelly

2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100
1979 G5 & 1980 Lemans CX100
2010 Suzuki DR650 & 1978 SR500

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Offline Cdn850T5NT

• Cdn850T5NT
  • Gaggle Mentor
Re: No-Mar Tire Changer 4 sale owners/users Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 11:12:49 PM »
I don't have answers... but I am certainly following the thread.  I am intending to change tires on my 16" and 18" alloy wheels on my T5 - and I had intended to fabricate a wooden base that has vertical forks (for the alloy spokes... i.e. 5 spokes) and velcro band hold-downs for each tower / felt-lined "fork" to elevate the wheel suitably.  But I had NOT intended to spin a Mojo lever around; solely, instead, to use wooden blocks to lead the beads into the tire-well and maybe ratchet straps to KEEP the bead in the wells.  Then, use irons and cut-up shampoo bottle layers to bear-against the alloy rim with tire irons.

Maybe my ideas are simplistic and impractical.
1985 Eurospec 850 T5 NT (Nuovo Tipo - New Type... i.e. Series III)

Offline ken farr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 11:49:31 PM »
No doubt that a NoMar is the standard that others are measured by, and a quality piece of equip.

I have been using my HFT unit, with Mojo blocks and a Mojo bar for a number of years without any negative results.
For my 3-4 tires a year, this is just fine for me.
I have found that honest to goodness for real tire lube makes the job very easy.   :cool:

Either way, get your routine down, and you are good to go.

kjf
ken farr
06 B1100 - click!
Fillmore, Ca.

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2020, 12:17:19 AM »
I don't have answers... but I am certainly following the thread.  I am intending to change tires on my 16" and 18" alloy wheels on my T5 - and I had intended to fabricate a wooden base that has vertical forks (for the alloy spokes... i.e. 5 spokes) and velcro band hold-downs for each tower / felt-lined "fork" to elevate the wheel suitably.  But I had NOT intended to spin a Mojo lever around; solely, instead, to use wooden blocks to lead the beads into the tire-well and maybe ratchet straps to KEEP the bead in the wells.  Then, use irons and cut-up shampoo bottle layers to bear-against the alloy rim with tire irons.

Maybe my ideas are simplistic and impractical.

I've seen some impressive videos of home built bead breakers and tire installers, wooden blocks & zip ties etc,  but how they'd work in reality in my garage is hard to judge.

I know in the videos on the No-Mar site, for difficult tires, even they seem to revert back to the wooden blocks and tire iron method as you're intending to use.

One of the main reasons I'm looking into getting a tire changing system, is that there was a local guy set up with a top of the line No-Mar changer with all the bells and whistles, but even being a skilled semi-professional with all the right tools, he struggled getting 2 very old stiff/stuck tires off the soft Borrani rims from my G5. He had to finally cut them both off with a grinder, he retired from the tire business shortly after,lol.

I've got a collection of big C & wood clamps, so I know taking my time I could break the bead on any bike tire, but levering them off & on damage free on soft Italian aluminum wheels, that may be a challenge.

I know a good source of heat to warm up the tires first is supposed too make a world of difference, fwiw.

Kelly
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2020, 12:17:19 AM »

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2020, 12:34:45 AM »
No doubt that a NoMar is the standard that others are measured by, and a quality piece of equip.

I have been using my HFT unit, with Mojo blocks and a Mojo bar for a number of years without any negative results.
For my 3-4 tires a year, this is just fine for me.
I have found that honest to goodness for real tire lube makes the job very easy.   :cool:

Either way, get your routine down, and you are good to go.

kjf

I'm familiar with No-Mar's good reputation but with the exchange rate, shipping and possible duty the price gets up there, that's why I was planning to go your route with the HF and Mojo Blocks and lever, but even that route starts to add up for me with exchange rate & shipping, especially if I throw a balancing set up into the mix.

That's why this No-Mar locally is very tempting with a balancer included, but if the clamps on it won't work well for me, the bargain goes out of it real quick.

I agree with you on technique and good lube,,, I picked up the lube,,, but my technique still sucks,lol.

tks

Kelly

2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100

Offline Zinfan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2020, 01:42:43 AM »
I've used the Cycle Hill tire changer for years and it has served me well along with the Marc Parnes balancer. Some tires can be a bear to put onto the rim getting that last bit to fall into place even using all the techniques shown on youtube and the like and I bought something like this http://www.bajanopinch.com/ years ago off of ADVRider vendors section that makes putting the tire on a breeze and no scratching the rim in the process.

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2020, 05:29:44 AM »
I have the exact same NoMar Classic and have changed every type of motocycle tire on it with the standard NoMar delrin cam blocks. Tube, tubeless, heavy wall HD/Goldwing tires, scooter tires, Adventure bike tires, sport/standard bike tires, biased, radial all of them. I change 30 to 40 tires per year with well over 300 tires on my machine.

I bought the NoMar Classic over the Cycle Hill version was becasue he bead breaker is not on the ground. The HD had the bead breaker u on the dech where the tire is changed.

The "tire changer" is the mount did mount bar the base is a wheel vise. NoMar has a excellent design in the mount/dismount bar but it is not panacea yo will also at times need a couple 9" levers to felp that last little bit of tire over the bead.

I only seen the HF unit at the store and watched videos but it look like a flimsy POS. The NoMar once secured to the floor or to a vehicle with the hitch option is very sturdy.

I've though about buying a HF machine several times to tinker with knowing I have the NoMar as a backup if needed. With a 25% coupon they are around $32 for the upper vise and $33 for the lower base for. But evetime I go and look it is so cheaply made that I just cannot piss away $62 on this. Its not a HF thing as I have several items from there and they work great its just this machine is below budget built. Honestly I'd be hard pressed to take one for free as its not worth the small amount of real estate it would take in my basement.   

Some other helpers once you get whatever tire changer you decide on.

1. Get a good liquid tire lube like RuGlide and ut it in a spray bottle for easy application
2. Get a foot actuated air valve off Amazon for $17 USD and a clip on air chuck. This will leave yuo hands free to "work" the tire hile the bead seats if needed.
3. Get a 4' flouresent or LED shop light to hang above the machine. A welll light area make it a lot easier to find dropped valve stems and also see what you doing.
4. If permenaly the machine to the floor (suggested) Mount the base at least 3' from the nearest wall and/or post and ideally 5' or more so you can move around it. Mine is mounted a little too close to the wall and it always seems as though I crowd myself.
5. Get two 9" tire levers. They are all the bigger you'll need. Bigger isn't always etter when chanigng tires. It easy to rip the tire bead if you have a long lever. In tire changin if you're excessively forcing the tire your doing somethgin wrong. Either the opposite side of the tire is not in the dro center, your taking too big of bites or both. Tire go on reletavely easy with proper technique.
6. Get a long ratchet strap to help set those stubourn beads
7. A small shelf or even better a small carton wheels to put beside the tire machine to hold the levers, lube, rags etc keeps thing withing arms reach.
8. Buy a small adjustable wrench to leave on the cart for removing the nut on tubes
9. If you buy a dark colored vale core removal tool paint it hot pink or safety orange so you can easily see it.
10. If you use rubber valve stems a velve stem puller will help greatly in installing new ones.
11. A razor knife is great at cuting the old valve stem flush with the wheel for easy removal. Cut flush push through
12. A roll of masking take is handy to have on your cart
13. Keep a Sharpie marker on you cart for marking wheel directions. I'll mark the rotor with an arrow if there is no rotor a small piece of masking tap on the wheel with an arrow works a treat.   
14. Cut 4 or 5  wooden blocks 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" x 3/4". These are handy for heavy walled tires. As you are running the dismount bar around the tire install blocks to help push the bead into the drop center. Works just as well as NoMars hold down clamps but for about $0.25.
15. Get or make a couple im protectors for theose instances when you need to lever on that last little bit of bead.
16. A small parts tray with a few segmnted compartments is good for seperating various style valve caps/stems holding new valve stems and wheel weights and inner tube nuts. You'll get a collection of all. 

Tire balancing or not is a different subject. After years of balaning both static and with beads I now do nothing. Run the tire an see if there is any vibration. If not ride on. If there is......well I don't know as I've not expierences any since my decision not to balance. 

Hope this helps.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 05:41:54 AM by Perazzimx14 »
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2020, 06:07:19 AM »
I bought a NoMar Classic last year.  Frankly, I have been disappointed in it.  It's a LOT of work to change a tire on it, and the device is VERY technique specific.  If your technique is even a little off, the tire cannot be mounted.  It also depends on the rim design.  For the NoMar to work, the rim needs a deep drop-center to give the tire room for mounting.  Shallow drop-center rims are next-to-impossible.  A friend brought over a Pirelli Angle GT rear tire and the rim off his Yamaha FJR.  Try as we might, the two of us were unable to mount the tire using the NoMar.  After swearing and working up a sweat, we gave up and he took the tire to a dealership to mount.  Another important fact NoMar failes to mention, it's all too easy to bend a brake disk on front rims using the NoMar.  Go watch their videos.  Every single video of a front rim shows it with the brake disks removed! Do you really want to have to unbolt your brake disks every time you change the front tire? More often than not, when I use mine, I just end up using it as an expensive wheel stand and use tire irons with rim protectors.  I've found it easier with less risk of bending a disk than fighting with their mount/de-mount bar.  If I had to do it all over again, I'd shop around for a used Coats or other powered tire changer.  Some swear by the No-Mar, but I swear at it. 

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2020, 08:17:49 AM »
I have one of those in a pile next to my mower in the shed. I got it from a buddy that decided this was more trouble than it's worth. I found out my time is better spent doing MY job and letting the dude at the m/c shop do his. Maybe if I ever retire I'll feel differently about the use of my time.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline wrbix

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2020, 08:36:16 AM »
Yeah, changing tires can be a beyotch, even with the best tools.
I like my NoMar....it is well constructed, sturdy and reliable. The hitch mount is a very nice feature....I’ve actually mounted a receiver on my shop wall by welding one to a 24x24 plate that is bolted through the concrete block wall....best of both worlds that.

.....and re balancing; I agree that it is much overrated.....I use a Marc Parnes to get approximate, but notice no difference when weights eject themselves miles later. ?why bother?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 09:20:15 AM by wrbix »
Bill in VA, sometimes FL

"Eschew aphorism"

LeMans IV - "Giulia"
Lario - "Giulietta"
V50III cafe'd - "Leggera"
‘77 Convert - “Sofia”
BMW airheads: R100RS, R100CS, R100GS, R100RT, R60/2 sidecar rig
Classic Mini
‘60 Austin Healey Sprite
Caterham Super Seven Sprint
‘13 Audi TTRS
Grumman AA5B (sold)

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2020, 09:35:34 AM »
Purchased used for $370. Best $$ I ever spent. The No-Mar/Cycle Hill and HF changers left me unimpressed.

(random photo from the 'net, not my actual changer)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 09:38:09 AM by Antietam Classic Cycle »
Charlie

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2020, 10:05:31 AM »

Same here.
My HFT with Mojo bar has done a huge number of tires over the years for me and my friends. No real issue.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2020, 10:21:48 AM »
I've used the Cycle Hill tire changer for years and it has served me well along with the Marc Parnes balancer. Some tires can be a bear to put onto the rim getting that last bit to fall into place even using all the techniques shown on youtube and the like and I bought something like this http://www.bajanopinch.com/ years ago off of ADVRider vendors section that makes putting the tire on a breeze and no scratching the rim in the process.

If I could get the Cycle Hill locally at a decent price, I'd probably go down that road, but it's the exchange range and shipping that kills that idea.

I took a quick look at that no pinch tool, I think 'll have to watch some videos to grasp the concept.

I've read nothing but good about the Marc Parnes balancer, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of info out there about the No Mar Balancers.

Tks

Kelly
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2020, 10:46:31 AM »
I have the exact same NoMar Classic and have changed every type of motocycle tire on it with the standard NoMar delrin cam blocks. Tube, tubeless, heavy wall HD/Goldwing tires, scooter tires, Adventure bike tires, sport/standard bike tires, biased, radial all of them. I change 30 to 40 tires per year with well over 300 tires on my machine.

I bought the NoMar Classic over the Cycle Hill version was becasue he bead breaker is not on the ground. The HD had the bead breaker u on the dech where the tire is changed.

The "tire changer" is the mount did mount bar the base is a wheel vise. NoMar has a excellent design in the mount/dismount bar but it is not panacea yo will also at times need a couple 9" levers to felp that last little bit of tire over the bead.

I only seen the HF unit at the store and watched videos but it look like a flimsy POS. The NoMar once secured to the floor or to a vehicle with the hitch option is very sturdy.

I've though about buying a HF machine several times to tinker with knowing I have the NoMar as a backup if needed. With a 25% coupon they are around $32 for the upper vise and $33 for the lower base for. But evetime I go and look it is so cheaply made that I just cannot piss away $62 on this. Its not a HF thing as I have several items from there and they work great its just this machine is below budget built. Honestly I'd be hard pressed to take one for free as its not worth the small amount of real estate it would take in my basement.   

Some other helpers once you get whatever tire changer you decide on.

1. Get a good liquid tire lube like RuGlide and ut it in a spray bottle for easy application
2. Get a foot actuated air valve off Amazon for $17 USD and a clip on air chuck. This will leave yuo hands free to "work" the tire hile the bead seats if needed.
3. Get a 4' flouresent or LED shop light to hang above the machine. A welll light area make it a lot easier to find dropped valve stems and also see what you doing.
4. If permenaly the machine to the floor (suggested) Mount the base at least 3' from the nearest wall and/or post and ideally 5' or more so you can move around it. Mine is mounted a little too close to the wall and it always seems as though I crowd myself.
5. Get two 9" tire levers. They are all the bigger you'll need. Bigger isn't always etter when chanigng tires. It easy to rip the tire bead if you have a long lever. In tire changin if you're excessively forcing the tire your doing somethgin wrong. Either the opposite side of the tire is not in the dro center, your taking too big of bites or both. Tire go on reletavely easy with proper technique.
6. Get a long ratchet strap to help set those stubourn beads
7. A small shelf or even better a small carton wheels to put beside the tire machine to hold the levers, lube, rags etc keeps thing withing arms reach.
8. Buy a small adjustable wrench to leave on the cart for removing the nut on tubes
9. If you buy a dark colored vale core removal tool paint it hot pink or safety orange so you can easily see it.
10. If you use rubber valve stems a velve stem puller will help greatly in installing new ones.
11. A razor knife is great at cuting the old valve stem flush with the wheel for easy removal. Cut flush push through
12. A roll of masking take is handy to have on your cart
13. Keep a Sharpie marker on you cart for marking wheel directions. I'll mark the rotor with an arrow if there is no rotor a small piece of masking tap on the wheel with an arrow works a treat.   
14. Cut 4 or 5  wooden blocks 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" x 3/4". These are handy for heavy walled tires. As you are running the dismount bar around the tire install blocks to help push the bead into the drop center. Works just as well as NoMars hold down clamps but for about $0.25.
15. Get or make a couple im protectors for theose instances when you need to lever on that last little bit of bead.
16. A small parts tray with a few segmnted compartments is good for seperating various style valve caps/stems holding new valve stems and wheel weights and inner tube nuts. You'll get a collection of all. 

Tire balancing or not is a different subject. After years of balaning both static and with beads I now do nothing. Run the tire an see if there is any vibration. If not ride on. If there is......well I don't know as I've not expierences any since my decision not to balance. 

Hope this helps.

Tks so much for all of that info, I had already filed away your info re the foot valve, I appreciate the feedback on the small details that work for you.

If you are using the No MAr Classic with the standard dog blocks and cam lock block, have you experienced the issue as some others have, that there is no room for the brake rotor/disc on the bottom when you put the wheel up on the platform?

Tks for the detailed response

Kelly
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2020, 10:54:50 AM »
I bought a NoMar Classic last year.  Frankly, I have been disappointed in it.  It's a LOT of work to change a tire on it, and the device is VERY technique specific.  If your technique is even a little off, the tire cannot be mounted.  It also depends on the rim design.  For the NoMar to work, the rim needs a deep drop-center to give the tire room for mounting.  Shallow drop-center rims are next-to-impossible.  A friend brought over a Pirelli Angle GT rear tire and the rim off his Yamaha FJR.  Try as we might, the two of us were unable to mount the tire using the NoMar.  After swearing and working up a sweat, we gave up and he took the tire to a dealership to mount.  Another important fact NoMar failes to mention, it's all too easy to bend a brake disk on front rims using the NoMar.  Go watch their videos.  Every single video of a front rim shows it with the brake disks removed! Do you really want to have to unbolt your brake disks every time you change the front tire? More often than not, when I use mine, I just end up using it as an expensive wheel stand and use tire irons with rim protectors.  I've found it easier with less risk of bending a disk than fighting with their mount/de-mount bar.  If I had to do it all over again, I'd shop around for a used Coats or other powered tire changer.  Some swear by the No-Mar, but I swear at it.

Thanks for that feedback re the discs on the front wheel, I didn't realize that the standard blocks might not provide enough clearance between the disc and the platform; I've watched a lot of videos, but I will go back and take a better look at it.

I've read quite a few people recommending a used Coats as you have, they're as rare as hen's teeth, but probably for a good reason.

Tks very much

Kelly
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2020, 11:03:21 AM »
I have one of those in a pile next to my mower in the shed. I got it from a buddy that decided this was more trouble than it's worth. I found out my time is better spent doing MY job and letting the dude at the m/c shop do his. Maybe if I ever retire I'll feel differently about the use of my time.

I agree with you, I'd much rather have someone else fight to get a tire on, but I've had terrible luck with shops doing tire changes, especially if there's a tube involved. I hate driving into the city to get a tire changed, then having to back because it's leaking 2-3 days later.

The worst one I was back into the shop 3 times, before the tech told me that there may be a crack on the inside of the cast wheel, that I didn't know about.

I'm not considering this because I love changing tires, it's more out of necessity & convenience.

Tks for the feedback

Kelly
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2020, 11:13:37 AM »
Tks so much for all of that info, I had already filed away your info re the foot valve, I appreciate the feedback on the small details that work for you.

If you are using the No MAr Classic with the standard dog blocks and cam lock block, have you experienced the issue as some others have, that there is no room for the brake rotor/disc on the bottom when you put the wheel up on the platform?

Tks for the detailed response

Kelly

I have never had a rotor conflict with the cam blocks. I changed a lot of sport bike tires with 17" wheels and big disc's.
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2020, 11:16:37 AM »
Yeah, changing tires can be a beyotch, even with the best tools.
I like my NoMar....it is well constructed, sturdy and reliable. The hitch mount is a very nice feature....I’ve actually mounted a receiver on my shop wall by welding one to a 24x24 plate that is bolted through the concrete block wall....best of both worlds that.

.....and re balancing; I agree that it is much overrated.....I use a Marc Parnes to get approximate, but notice no difference when weights eject themselves miles later. ?why bother?

The hitch is interesting, I just had a receiver welded on the quick disconnect bucket of my tractor, and I have some left over receiver material that I might be able to mcgyver a mount somehow.

The only time I ever noticed problems after mounting a new tire, I thought it was a balance issue, but it wasn't, it was me not getting the tire completely set down into the bead, a stronger compressor and warm sunlight fixed that problem.

Tks for the feedback

Kelly
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2020, 11:18:45 AM »
Purchased used for $370. Best $$ I ever spent. The No-Mar/Cycle Hill and HF changers left me unimpressed.

(random photo from the 'net, not my actual changer)

I've read that opinion from a few people, I've been looking, but they are very hard to find.

Tks

Kelly
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2020, 11:21:34 AM »
Same here.
My HFT with Mojo bar has done a huge number of tires over the years for me and my friends. No real issue.

I think in the big picture, that set up would probably work fine for me, but it's the exchange rate, duty and shipping that add up real quick, that's what was making this No Mar locally look attractive to me.

Tks for the feed back

Kelly
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2020, 11:26:45 AM »
I have never had a rotor conflict with the cam blocks. I changed a lot of sport bike tires with 17" wheels and big disc's.

Tks very much for the quick reply, I'm taking a hard look at this unit.

Tks

Kelly
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2020, 11:30:18 AM »

While wheels with deep drop centers have benefits shallow drop centers are not that much more difficult. Again if you fighting/forcing  a tire onto the wheel you are doing something wrong. I don't care what machine you are using it takes technique. 

As for bending the disc if you insert the tire bar then lever it over across the disc then jump up and down on it you'll bend the disc. Gently laying the bar across the disc while you move the center pivot into place will do no harm. You can also hold the tire bar in you left hand while the pivot bar slides between you left thumb and pointer finger while the right hand loosens the thumbwheel. Sounds way more complicated then it is. In reality it takes 3 seconds and one fluid motion and the tire bar never touched the disc.

A buddy has a Coats he says it the best rim scratcher on the market.

2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2020, 11:32:32 AM »
I also use the HF with home made mojo blocks and converted lever. ( I have *lots* of delrin laying around)  :smiley:
It works fine. I use a 2x4 under the wheel when breaking the bead to keep the rotor off the floor.
No real problems.. but.. there is definitely a learning curve with any tire changer.
Needless to say, really old tires are a mean job.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2020, 12:02:11 PM »
I read the page about the No Pinch. Sounds like a good product. But....It mainly talks about dirt bike tires and it says not to use it on tubeless tires. I thought I read something about street tires, but can't find it now.

"Can I use the tire tool to change a tubeless tire?

Many tubeless tires and especially the soft rubber trials tires have a thick soft rubber layer on the inside of the bead that can be easily damaged. We do not recommend using the No Pinch tire tool to install these tires."

Has anyone here used this yet?

I normally just buy my tire from my tire only shop and let him install it. It used to be free with tire purchase, but now he charges about $30 for it. Balancing was always extra charge about $5 with install. His prices are getting up there for tires compared to some online vendors, that's why I'm thinking about a tire changer as well.

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2020, 12:14:12 PM »
A buddy has a Coats he says it the best rim scratcher on the market.

Mine came with a set of Motion Pro rim protectors and a set of the plastic covers that go over the ends of the bar. Never scratched a rim, except when using a tire lever...
Charlie

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2020, 12:48:33 PM »
Mine came with a set of Motion Pro rim protectors and a set of the plastic covers that go over the ends of the bar. Never scratched a rim, except when using a tire lever...

I'm guessing his Coats did not come with all the extra protective stuff.

The Coats having the bead breaker at ground level was a deal breaker for me. That's also the main reason i ruled out the Cycle Hill variant. I spent my youth crawling around on cold garage floors work on stuff. As I've aged I prefer the work come to me now.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 12:53:23 PM by Perazzimx14 »
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2020, 01:11:19 PM »
I have changed a ton of tires using the No Mar machine.  I think it's great and highly recommend it.   I struggled with cheaper tools, zip ties, and tire irons until I finally broke down and got the No Mar.   Should have done that much sooner.  If you change a lot of tires, it pays for itself quickly.  Even quicker when your rider friends find out you have such a machine and know how to use it. 

Perazzimx14 lists a lot of excellent tips.  Bottom line is that if you are really struggling, you aren't doing it right, or there needs to be more lube, or the tire needs to be hotter. 

I'll add one tip.  It is MUCH easier to mount or remove a tire when it is really hot, and therefore flexible.   That's easy to do in the summer in Texas---just leave it in the afternoon sun for a few hours until it is good and hot.

Harder to do in the winter, but there are still tricks.  I will take my Jeep into town and drive around until the engine is hot.  Then put the tire on top of the engine, cover it with a horse blanket and lower the hood.   

If you have a big enough oven, you might go the "Bad Husband" route and toast your tire at the 150 degree setting. 
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2020, 01:21:55 PM »
I'm guessing his Coats did not come with all the extra protective stuff.

The Coats having the bead breaker at ground level was a deal breaker for me. That's also the main reason i ruled out the Cycle Hill variant. I spent my youth crawling around on cold garage floors work on stuff. As I've aged I prefer the work come to me now.

The plastic protectors are available from Coats and on Amazon. I bought an extra set just to have them. I don't see the location of the bead breaker as a problem - I don't have to wrestle heavy wheels up into it since it's so low.
Charlie

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2020, 01:23:57 PM »
I have one of the early No-Mar tire changers and it works well for me - but there are times when I spoon a tire on and off instead of using the mount bar.  Rear Gold Wing tires and MT-90 5-ply Dunlops come to mind here.

Occasionally, there will be a wide rim where either a pulley or rotor won't clear on the bottom, and ya gotta remove it.

I like the No-Mar tire lube.  Works well.  Non-corrosive.

The two biggest tips are
1.  lube the tire without getting it all over everything else and
2. a warm tire mounts much, much easier.  If all else fails, put the tire underneath a cardboard sorta lid thingy with a 75 watt incandescent shop light and cover with a blanket for an hour or two.  (or until the wife wants to know what's burning)

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2020, 01:25:04 PM »
The Chinese import tire changers like Atlas and such have come down in price to the point where you can buy a power tire changer for the price of a NoMar.  While I resist buying anything from China when possible, there are several models under the $1000 price point. https://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Tire-Changer/Tire-Changers. I have no idea about their durability, but I suspect for the "home shop" they would be fine.

The NoMar will work, but I still say there is a reason every video on their web site is done with the disks removed.  I do it with the front disks attached, but you must be very careful to make sure the demount bar is not levering against the edge of the rotor.  I've also found there is a marked difference from one tire manufacture to the next. Leaving the tire out in the sun helps, but kind of hard to do in the winter.  I just think, for the money, the NoMar is too fussy and your technique needs to be well practiced from many tire changes.  Since I only mount a new tire every few months, it's easy to forget.  I have to review the videos before every use so as to not leave out an important step.  Still, if you live out in the sticks, like me, it beats the 80 mile round trip to Cycle Gear or some other dealer.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here