Author Topic: (NGC) - Help on a bird ID  (Read 1492 times)

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
(NGC) - Help on a bird ID
« on: April 30, 2021, 08:07:55 PM »
Have not seen these before and they are nesting in a box attached to our garden shed. Possibly a Carolina or Brenwick Wren? Size wise kind of like a slim sparrow.

GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

oldbike54

Re: (NGC) - Help on a bird ID
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2021, 08:37:42 PM »
Have not seen these before and they are nesting in a box attached to our garden shed. Possibly a Carolina or Brenwick Wren? Size wise kind of like a slim sparrow.

GliderJohn

That bird is known in serious bird watching circles as a little brown job  :grin:

Maybe a Bewick Wren .

Dusty

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2021, 08:47:06 PM »
That bird is known in serious bird watching circles as a little brown job

Hey, hey, hey, don't forget this is a family friendly site. Go moderate yourself into a corner.  :evil:
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2021, 08:51:09 PM »
based upon the white eye bar, my wife says its a Carolina Wren.  the only other option is a House Wren, but the white eye bar is more likely to be a Carolina Wren.

My cat disagrees- she says it's a delicious bird....

Edit- if it's a Bewick Wren, it should have a white tip on tail feathers which would differentiate it from a Carolina Wren.  She would have tutored me more before the first post, but she had to put her opossum away so I had to look it up on my own....
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 09:04:00 PM by cliffrod »
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2021, 08:51:09 PM »

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2021, 09:20:13 PM »
I have no idea but my wife says it is cute.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2021, 08:16:52 AM »
We have them here, I just call it a wren. But I'm no ornithologist, and I'm too lazy to look in my Audubon field guide.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline jrt

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2021, 09:03:43 AM »
A friend of mine is an ornithologist.  Even he calls them LBJ's (little brown jobs). 
But that one, friend, is a Carolina wren.  We have a family of them that have lived in our back yard (St. Louis) for over a decade. 
If you find their nest and after the eggs hatch, it is a 'slow burn' sort of fun to watch mom and dad fetch insects.  Like every minute to minute and a half they fly out and back with something.  Makes me appreciate how well they do population control.
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2003 Yardbird (1100 hydro)
2020 R1250RS

oldbike54

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2021, 10:34:41 AM »
 Pretty sure this is not a Carolina Wren , the coloration and markings are more like a Bewick Wren , my sister is an avid birdwatcher and identifies it as a Berwick . Now , she might be wrong here , but of the hundreds of birds she has helped me identify , sometimes spending hours poring thru the giant Audubon society book , and at times making phone calls and E mail inquiries , she is rarely off on her ID's . Of course neither Wren is common in John's part of Kansas , but the Bewick's range is somewhat closer than the Carolina's , on a windy day with a good strong South wind blowing as is common out here , a Bewick could step out the front door in OKC and end up at John's place and never flap a wing  :laugh:

Dusty

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2021, 11:07:21 AM »
I'm/we're not 100% sold on the Carolina Wren ID, either but are less confident on the Bewick wren.  I don't think the body coloring is appropriate for a Carolina Wren, but the missing white tip on tail feathers is the basis for my call.  She and her family are very serious birders, especially her parents, but not as fluent about what's in John's part of the USA vs the Appalachians & east coast.   Most of what I know about birds is how to properly clean, fabricate & cook them...

Region & Locale means less re: typical species than years ago.  We've had a pair of scissor tail flycatchers spending summers in the pastures/margins next to our house here in SC for the last few summer.  I doubted what they were when I first saw them, knowing they're normally very far west of here.  But that's what they are & apparently they're real celebrities for area bird watchers.  Now we're watching to see if they'll be back this summer.
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100

oldbike54

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2021, 11:28:29 AM »
I'm/we're not 100% sold on the Carolina Wren ID, either but are less confident on the Bewick wren.  I don't think the body coloring is appropriate for a Carolina Wren, but the missing white tip on tail feathers is the basis for my call.  She and her family are very serious birders, especially her parents, but not as fluent about what's in John's part of the USA vs the Appalachians & east coast.   Most of what I know about birds is how to properly clean, fabricate & cook them...

Region & Locale means less re: typical species than years ago.  We've had a pair of scissor tail flycatchers spending summers in the pastures/margins next to our house here in SC for the last few summer.  I doubted what they were when I first saw them, knowing they're normally very far west of here.  But that's what they are & apparently they're real celebrities for area bird watchers.  Now we're watching to see if they'll be back this summer.

That's why bird watching is interesting , and why in certain bird families positive ID can be not so easy . To properly identify some birds it is helpful to have pictures with their wings extended also , in this case all we have are the two shots with folded wings . Even specific mating or feeding habits can be used . Our dinosaur friends are fun and interesting to observe , some of them are in direct lineage to creatures from millions of years long , some are a little more recent .

Kinda makes you wonder if their really ancient ancestors like the T-Rex hopped about in a somewhat random fashion , chirping instead pf roaring  :laugh:

Dusty

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2021, 12:08:35 PM »
Wife is a bird watcher and she says it’s a Wren and she ain’t never wrong😉
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 07:19:24 PM by Ncdan »

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2021, 12:18:34 PM »
That's why bird watching is interesting , and why in certain bird families positive ID can be not so easy . To properly identify some birds it is helpful to have pictures with their wings extended also , in this case all we have are the two shots with folded wings . Even specific mating or feeding habits can be used . Our dinosaur friends are fun and interesting to observe , some of them are in direct lineage to creatures from millions of years long , some are a little more recent .

Kinda makes you wonder if their really ancient ancestors like the T-Rex hopped about in a somewhat random fashion , chirping instead pf roaring  :laugh:

Dusty

Yup, I'm about as interested in birds as the inlaws are about motorcycles...  They travel all over, always with binoculars around necks or within reach, listen to Bird song recordings for hours on end to identify what they can hear but can't see.   I like seeing the Toehees around here.  The big Flicka that would do the machine-gun batatatatattt on the trusses in my studio hasn't been around for a while. We had a big pair of owls talking to each other in the trees out back at dusk earlier this year- very, very cool.  Couldn't confirm ID between Barred or Great Horned owls by sight or call.   Hearing a screech owl at night isn't uncommon but big owls are a treat.  Ospreys and bald eagles are nearby once in a while.

Bobwhite quail are all but gone- haven't heard them down back in years.  There's a reintroduction effort going, but hard to find people willing to do it who actually own the right land/habitat.  Wife works part time with local Soil & Water Commission and still has challenges connecting the right dots with that program.
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100

Offline Mike Craven

• Gosling
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2021, 12:27:17 PM »
That's the dang bird that makes a nest in my helmet when I leave the garage door open!
Mike  L-715, Atlanta GA
1983 Cali II

oldbike54

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2021, 12:31:24 PM »
  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2021, 06:59:04 PM »
Well, I can say we all agree it's a wren, but I don't think there is quite enough of a picture to positively identify it.
Have you ever watched their nesting behavior? Mr. Wren makes a nest, and brings Ms. Wren to have a look. "Nope.. too many twigs.." Mr. Wren makes another nest.. repeat.  :grin: Finally she acquiesceses.. and they live happily ever after.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline kirby1923

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '81 CX100
  • Location: SoCal (rural) near Tehachapi CA, Rogers AR when in the states other times GMT+1 thu +6
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2021, 07:31:16 PM »
. "Nope.. too many twigs.." Mr. Wren makes another nest.. repeat.  :grin: Finally she acquiesceses.. and they live happily ever after.

Strangely familiar....

:-)
'81 CX100

A calm and modest life brings more happiness than the constant pursuit of success combined with constant restlessness.. Einstein,A

Offline EldoMike

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2021, 07:33:41 PM »
We have them here in southern Illinois, they like making nest in unusual places...like helmets

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2021, 08:28:19 PM »
My vote is a Bewick's Wren...but not the same coloring as we have here in Arizona...

2012 golf r 0 60
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 08:30:16 PM by JJ »
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline maquette

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2021, 04:02:03 PM »
Carolina Wren. State bird of South Carolina.
Tom
Oriental, NC

'98 V11 EV

Offline drbone641

• Gosling
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2021, 01:03:29 PM »
Color says Bewick's, rather than Carolina. 2 cents
73 TR6
09 Multistrada
16 Eldorado

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2021, 01:05:31 PM »
I am not a bird expert but we spend a lot of hours sitting on the deck with a big whiskey sour and a pair of binoculars and a bird book..  We vote Carolina Wren
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2021, 02:13:33 PM »
Certainly, the dark brown color with buff below says Carolina wren.. the Bewick's is more grey. I also don't see the white in the tips of the tail feathers of the Bewick, either.. plus the Bewick is grey/brown above, white below.
That said, I'm going with little brown job.  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2021, 02:21:00 PM »
I am not a bird expert but we spend a lot of hours sitting on the deck with a big whiskey sour and a pair of binoculars and a bird book..  We vote Carolina Wren

This ^^^ is  basically how I watch birds.  Except I usually stop at the word "whiskey"...
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100

Offline DaSwami

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2021, 02:39:06 PM »
Carolina wren!

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2021, 02:42:27 PM »
They all taste the same <shrug> :thumb:
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Online Tkelly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2021, 06:41:20 PM »
I believe Dusty is right, Bewicks’s Wren. (DebbieKellyj

Offline m13

• Gosling
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2021, 08:04:59 PM »
I'm saying Carolina. A few years back I recorded a daily video log of a nest in my shed. the video quality isn't great but  may be interesting to some who like bird behavior. Just today wrens are building a nest in one of our hanging flower pots on the front porch.    https://youtu.be/00DsRLfcFDk
I had uploaded a longer version to the "tube" back in 2014 but was blocked for having copyright problems, I had Van Morrisons's Wind in the Willows backing it up (the piper at the gates of dawn is the wren) and also that copy had all the baby bird audio shouting out their little hungry cries.
Leonardtown, Maryland
'69 Manky V700
'60-something?(who really knows) Chang jiang 750

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PORS0y5exgY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B24-c-rJM_Q

oldbike54

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2021, 08:12:22 PM »
I believe Dusty is right, Bewicks’s Wren. (DebbieKellyj

Listen up , Debbie is one of our smart folks  :thumb: :grin:

Dusty

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2021, 04:36:25 AM »
My cat says it is a delicious wren.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2021, 05:53:08 AM »
Looks like a funny coloured Nuthatch to me, but if it is its a few thousand miles out of position

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/nuthatch/

If it is, don't brag about it too much or you'll have every "twitcher" (slang for bird watcher) in the States descend on your house
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 06:32:56 AM by oldbike54 »
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here